Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - Battle

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 611
Friday, 15th November 2019
Trump ally Roger Stone found guilty (all 7 counts) of lying to Congress and witness tampering

by Kevin Breuninger

Roger Stone, a longtime friend and confidant of President Donald Trump, was found guilty of lying to Congress by a jury in federal court in Washington, D.C.

Stone, 67, a self-described political trickster, was charged with lying to Congress about his contacts with WikiLeaks during the 2016 election.

He had pleaded not guilty in the case.

A 12-member jury, comprising nine women and three men, began their deliberations Thursday morning on the seventh day of Stone's trial began in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C.

Roger Stone, a longtime friend and confidant of President Donald Trump, was found guilty of lying to Congress and witness tampering by a jury in federal court in Washington, D.C.

Stone, 67, a self-described political trickster, was charged with  lying to Congress about his contacts with WikiLeaks during the 2016 election, as well as with tampering with a potential witness against him, Randy Credico.

He had pleaded not guilty in the case.

A 12-member jury, comprising nine women and three men, began their deliberations Thursday morning on the seventh day of Stone's trial began in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C.

Stone was arrested in a predawn raid at his Florida home in January and charged in a seven-count indictment on charges including witness tampering, obstruction of justice and making false statements to Congress.

Would You Like To Know More?

In The News / Re: The Judge Who Replaced Brett Kavenaugh
« on: November 15, 2019, 06:26:03 am »

Friday, 15th November 2019
3 worthless judges involved in shooting at Indiana White Castle suspended without pay
by Alex Johnson

Three Indiana judges have been suspended without pay for their involvement in a shooting during a drunken brawl outside a White Castle restaurant in May.

The state Supreme Court said in an order published Tuesday that the county circuit judges — Andrew Adams and Bradley B. Jacobs of Clark County and Sabrina R. Bell or Crawford County — behaved in a way that was "not merely embarrassing on a personal level; they discredited the entire Indiana judiciary."

Adams previously was sentenced to a year in jail with all but two days suspended after he pleaded guilty to battery in the incident, during which he and Jacobs suffered gunshot wounds.

An investigation by the Indiana Commission on Judicial Qualifications depicted the judges as wandering the streets of Indianapolis, where they were attending a judicial conference, in a drunken haze in the middle of the night on May 1st.

The judges and a fourth man, Clark County Magistrate William Dawkins, met up at a bar where they drank for several hours before deciding to go to a strip club, which was closed, investigators said.

So they then went to the White Castle.

The judges remained outside while Dawkins went inside at about 3:15 a.m., according to judicial documents.

That was when two men drove by in a car and shouted something out the window, to which Bell "extended her middle finger" in response, investigators said.

The men pulled into the parking lot and got out, which led to "a heated verbal altercation ... with all participants yelling, using profanity, and making dismissive, mocking, or insolent gestures toward the other group," according to the documents.

The confrontation ended when one of the men from the car, identified as Brandon Kaiser, pulled a gun and shot Adams once and Jacobs twice, investigators said.

Both men underwent emergency surgery and were hospitalized for several days.

Investigators said Adams kicked Kaiser in the back during the scuffle.

That's why he was criminally charged with battery, while Jacobs and Bell weren't charged.

According to court documents, the investigation found that Bell was so drunk she couldn't remember flipping off the car, but she

"concedes that the security camera video shows her making this gesture."

In her statement to detectives, Bell said she was good friends with Adams and Jacobs, whom she described as

"very protective of me."

She also told investigators that she gets "mouthy" when she drinks.

"I'm fiery and I'm feisty, but if I would have ever thought for a second that they were gonna fight or that that guy had a gun on him, I would never, never ...," Bell said, according to court documents.

The quotation trails off in the original document.

All three judges were brought up on disciplinary charges, leading to this week's order.

The Supreme Court suspended Adams for 60 days and Jacobs and Bell for 30 days, all without pay.

Dawkins, the magistrate, was inside the White Castle at the time of the altercation and wasn't part of the case.

Kaiser is scheduled for trial in early January on 14 counts of aggravated battery, battery with a deadly weapon, battery, carrying an unlicensed handgun and disorderly conduct.

The other man in the car, Alfredo Vazquez, who is Kaiser's nephew, pleaded guilty to misdemeanor battery in early November and was sentenced to 180 days of home detention and a year of probation.

Would You Like To Know More?

« on: November 15, 2019, 05:29:05 am »
Friday, 15th November 2019
by Nikie Mayo

(GREENVILLE, S.C.) – On a day another deadly shooting took place at a school across the country, Jesse Osborne, the teenager responsible for a shooting at a South Carolina elementary school in 2016, was sentenced to life in prison.

Judge Lawton McIntosh handed down the sentence in Anderson after tearful, heart-wrenching statements from family members of Jacob Hall, the 6-year-old first-grader who Osborne mortally wounded on a playground at Townville Elementary School.

Osborne was 14 at the time and is 17 now.

He has 10 days to appeal his sentence.

"We're very disappointed in the result, but the courts will undoubtedly have to continue dealing with sentencing juveniles to life without parole and will have to continue to deal with the issue of school shootings," said Frank Eppes, Osborne's lead attorney.

Filled with emotion of their own, Osborne's family members portrayed the teenager as a victim of abuse at the hands of his father, Jeffrey Osborne, the 47-year-old man who Jesse Osborne shot and killed before driving 3 miles to the school in rural Upstate South Carolina on Sept. 28, 2016.

Osborne pleaded guilty in December to killing his father and Jacob, and to attempted murder related to trying to kill other students and a teacher on the playground.

This week's hearing was mandated by state law because of his age at the time of the crimes.

The judge considered the circumstances of the crimes, Osborne's maturity level, his home and family life, and whether it is believed he can be rehabilitated.

"This is the sentence that we hoped for and that these crimes called for," said Solicitor David Wagner.

"You can't come into our community, into our schools, and do what he did. I hope this sends a message to anyone else who would think about doing something like this."

Osborne spent 13 or 14 hours a day alone in a basement or bedroom that had little natural light and was in "total isolation" in the months before the shooting, according to his grandfather Tommy Osborne.

The teen had been expelled from middle school after bringing a hatchet and a machete in his backpack, and he was taking online classes at home.

He normally would have gone to his grandparents' house after school to do homework and have a meal, but he didn't see them as often then, according to testimony Thursday in the Anderson County Courthouse.

His father owned a chicken farm, but he was having financial trouble and had borrowed money from his family.

Jeffrey Osborne had a temper, and especially when he drank, he became dark and threatening, according to testimony from his family and a psychiatrist who saw Jesse after the shooting.

Tommy Osborne testified that Jeffrey, his son, had once threatened him when Jeffrey was under the influence of alcohol.

"After that, I made sure I had some kind of protection," Tommy Osborne testified.

"I carried a .38."

And Jeffrey Osborne did more than threaten his family, according to testimony.

His son, Jesse, told his grandparents that his dad had "hit him with a ball bat."

 Ryan Brock, Jesse's half-brother, testified earlier that Jeffrey Osborne was horribly abusive to Jesse.

"He would make him pull his pants down... get sticks, belts, whatever he could find, and just start whaling on Jesse," Brock said.

"I could hear the screams throughout the house."

Jesse was mostly alone with no friends except a group of people he communicated with on the internet, according to testimony from his grandfather.

The portrait of Jesse Osborne that was presented Thursday was starkly different from the one prosecutors presented earlier in the week.

Prosecutors described him as the boy who planned the Townville school shooting for days and maybe weeks.

The boy who videoed himself combing his hair just before the shooting and saying that he needed to "look fabulous" because of what he was about to do.

The boy who hoped to kill dozens more than he did, according to messages attributed to him.

Late Thursday, prosecutors recalled psychiatrist James Ballenger to the stand. Ballenger already said he was "pessimistic" about how much good treatment would do for Jesse Osborne.

He was asked again Thursday about whether Osborne can be rehabilitated.

"I certainly think he is dangerous and I think he will remain dangerous," Ballenger said.

"Anything under God's green earth is possible, but I wouldn't say (rehabilitation) is likely."

Would You Like To Know More?

Thursday, 14th November 2019
Judge calls USC dad a 'thief,' gives longest prison sentence so far in college admissions scandal

by Joey Garrison

(BOSTON, Massachussetts) — Toby MacFarlane, a former real estate and title insurance executive from California, was sentenced to six months in prison Wednesday for paying $450,000 to get his daughter and son admitted into the University of Southern California as fake athletic recruits.

It marks the longest prison sentence so far handed down among 13 parents and one college coach in the nation's college admissions scandal.

U.S. District Judge Nathaniel Gorton stressed that MacFarlane participated in the nationwide admissions scheme led by college consultant Rick Singer "not once, but twice," taking seats at USC away from two deserving students.

He told MacFarlane his actions should be tolerated no more than a common thief's actions, "because that's what you are — a thief."

“Higher education in this country aspires to be a meritocracy. Those who work the hardest or make the best grades rightfully get accepted into the best schools," Gorton said.

"You had the audacity and the self-aggrandizing impudence to use your wealth to cheat and lie your way around the rules that apply to everyone else."

Gorton also sentenced MacFarlane to two years of supervised release, 200 hours of community service and a $150,000 fine.

MacFarlane, 56, of Del Mar, California, must report to prison by Jan. 2. He did not comment to reporters outside the courthouse as he exited before quickly stepping into a nearby Starbucks.
MacFarlane pleaded guilty to fraud conspiracy charges in June.

Addressing the court, MacFarlane, himself a USC graduate, apologized to his family, friends, former business partners and his alma mater, as well as "all of the students who applied and didn't get in."

“I am truly sorry. I love that school and it is heartbreaking to me that I brought a shadow on it," he said, adding he set a "terrible example" for his children.

"They didn’t deserve this. I’m working to make it up to them and regain their respect.”

Gorton opted to impose a harsher sentence than called for in sentencing guidelines, citing the “fraudulent, deceitful" nature of MacFarlane's conduct.

The judge's decision could be a preview of how he will approach other parents who go before him — including actress Lori Loughlin — who have pleaded not guilty. 

MacFarlane, a former senior executive at WFG National Title Insurance Company, made two separate payments of $200,000, one in 2014 and on in 2017, to the sham nonprofit operated by Singer.

Singer, in turn, facilitated his children's admissions into USC through bribes to one current and two former USC employees. MacFarlane also made a $50,000 payment to USC athletics.

The first transaction involved the admission of MacFarlane's daughter into USC as a fake soccer recruit.

He then paid Singer again to admit his son into USC posing as a basketball recruit.

"The defendant knew what he was doing was wrong. He knew it wasn't accepted at the school," Assistant U.S. Attorney Eric Rosen told the judge.

"So what does he do? He does it again with his son.”

Rosen said MacFarlane deserved prison because he was the first parent who paid into Singer's "side-door" recruitment scheme twice.

He asked the judge to "send a message" as a result.

MacFarlane's defense attorney, Ted Cassman, sought a lighter sentence, arguing his client was less culpable than other parents sentenced in the admissions scheme.

Unlike other parents, he said MacFarlane did not seek out Singer for cheating but for his consulting services.

He said MacFarlane already suffered "swift and severe" collateral consequences from his conduct.

He also pointed to MacFarlane's divorce, which separated his family and pressured him to buckle to Singer's offer.

“It was during this period that Mr. Singer offered an easy way out," Cassman said.

“And foolishly and tragically, Mr. MacFarlane took the easy way out.”

The toughest prison sentence previously ordered was five months for Agustin Huneeus, a Napa Valley, California winemaker.

Huneeus, who agreed to pay Singer $300,000 is the only defendant to take part in both the recruitment scheme and Singer's plot to cheat on college entrance exams.

U.S. District Judge Indira Talwani handed down the sentence of Huneeus and 11 other parents while Judge Douglas Woodlock sentenced one other parent.

Twenty-nine defendants, including 19 parents, have either pleaded guilty in court or agreed to plead guilty to charges in the historic admissions case.

Igor Dvorsiky, a former administrator for the ACT and SAT, pleaded guilty in court Wednesday to racketeering charges for accepting nearly $200,000 in bribes to opening a private school he operated in Los Angles for cheating in Singer's scheme.

He admitted to opening it on 11 occasions, involving 20 students, for cheating.

Would You Like To Know More?


As the impeachment inquiry proceeds, here's what is on the cocktail menu at Washington D.C.'s Capitol Lounge during these troubling times:

Books / Re: The 1619 Project
« on: November 14, 2019, 12:37:06 pm »
The 1619 Project

This caste system was maintained through wanton racial terrorism.

And black veterans like Woodard, especially those with the audacity to wear their uniform, had since the Civil War been the target of a particular violence.

This intensified during the two world wars because white people understood that once black men had gone abroad and experienced life outside the suffocating racial oppression of America, they were unlikely to quietly return to their subjugation at home.

As Senator James K. Vardaman of Mississippi said on the Senate floor during World War I, black servicemen returning to the South would ‘‘inevitably lead to disaster.’’

Giving a black man ‘‘military airs’’ and sending him to defend the flag would bring him ‘‘to the conclusion that his political rights must be respected.’’

« on: November 14, 2019, 04:22:08 am »
Thursday, 14th November 2019
Car of Marine linked to Virginia slaying is found in South Carolina

by Danielle Wallace

A car belonging to a U.S. Marine who allegedly deserted his post last month in North Carolina -- and has been on the run since being accused of murdering his mother’s boyfriend in Virginia -- has been located in South Carolina, authorities said Wednesday.

Michael Alexander Brown, 22, had been driving a black Lincoln Town Car, possibly with North Carolina plates, Charleston's WCIV-TV reported, but it was unclear if that was the same vehicle authorities located.

Details of how and where the vehicle was found and what condition it was in were also unclear.

Brown was a combat engineer in the Marines before allegedly deserting his post at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune in Jacksonville, N.C., on Oct. 18.

Several agencies in North Carolina and Virginia -- in addition to the U.S. Marshals, FBI, and Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) have been conducting a massive manhunt for the Marine in connection with the murder of 54-year-old Rodney Brown in Hardy, Va., on Saturday afternoon, Lynchburg, Va.’s WSET-TV reported.

The Franklin County Sheriff’s Office in Virginia on Monday issued an arrest warrant for second-degree murder and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony for the younger Brown.

Deputies were dispatched to a home in Hardy, Va., around noon Saturday over reports that the homeowner was found dead on the property.

Investigators later determined the victim was allegedly killed by his live-in girlfriend’s son, who was later identified as the Marine.

Authorities were still working to determine a motive.

Neighbors told Roanoke, Va.’s WSLS-TV the Marine recently learned Rodney Brown was not his biological father.

He reportedly believed his mother’s boyfriend was his biological father for his entire life.
The sheriff’s office said Sunday that Michael Brown’s last known address was near the victim’s -- although it was not immediately clear if they lived in the same home -- and he was likely driving a 1976 Cadillac.

The office added that Brown “has been known to live in the woods and frequent National Parks and National Forest.”

A later update said Brown ditched his car and might be in a 2008 Lincoln Town Car with North Carolina plates.

He is also considered “armed and dangerous.”

Police said he is believed to be armed with a high-powered rifle and “may have access to other weapons.”

No guns were missing from the unit's armory, officials at Camp Lejeune said Monday, WSLS-TV reported.

His medals and decorations included the National Defense Service Medal, Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Sea Service Deployment Ribbon.

His expected end of service date is July 2021.

The Marine Corps now lists Brown as an active-duty “deserter.”

Brown deployed to Africa between March and October 2018, but Camp Lejeune was his lone duty station.

His formal military training included Basic Combat Engineer, Marine Combat Training and Marine Recruit Training.

Would You Like To Know More?

Vox Populi / Re: Disappearing Excellence: The Senate & Loretta Lynch
« on: November 14, 2019, 03:25:25 am »
Thursday, 14th November 2019
Former Columbia police chief admits he was drug addicted, illegally had guns in court

by David Travis Bland

A former Columbia Police Department chief may go to prison for 10 years after pleading guilty Wednesday to owning guns while using illegal drugs.

Randy Scott, 50, pleaded guilty during a change of plea hearing at the Matthew J. Perry Federal Courthouse in Columbia.

Under federal law, it’s illegal to possess any firearms and use narcotics.

Scott originally pleaded not guilty, court records show.

Scott was the Columbia Police Chief from 2011 to 2013.

He resigned, saying he struggled with post traumatic stress disorder after a deputy died under his watch.

Before becoming the top lawman in Columbia, he was a high ranking deputy with Richland County Sheriff’s Department and worked with the sheriff’s department after leaving the Columbia Police Department.

Would You Like To See More?

Wednesday, 13th November 2019
Appeals court clears way for Congress to seek Trump financial records
by John Kruzel and Naomi Jagoda


The federal appeals court in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday ruled that House Democrats can obtain President Trump's financial records, setting up a potential Supreme Court challenge.

The circuit court judges declined a request from Trump to have the court's full bench of judges hear the case after a three-judge panel in October denied Trump’s request to shield his longtime accounting firm Mazars from having to comply with lawmakers' subpoena for records.

The judges voted 8 to 3 against rehearing the case.

Those in the majority included seven judges appointed by Democrats, including Chief Judge Merrick Garland, and one Republican appointee, Judge Thomas B. Griffith.

The dissenters were all Republican appointees.

The ruling does not mean Democrats will immediately have access to Trump's records.

Trump's lawyers have already indicated they would appeal to the Supreme Court.

The case involves a House Oversight and Reform Committee subpoena for records from Mazars.
Democrats issued a subpoena in April to Trump's accounting firm, seeking years of financial records on Trump and several of his business entities.

In a 2-1 ruling in October, the panel ruled that the subpoena was "valid and enforceable."

Three circuit court judges dissented from the Wednesday order denying Trump’s request for a rehearing, indicating that they sided with Trump but were outvoted.

Judge Gregory Katsas, a Trump appointee, described the denial of Trump’s request as virtually unprecedented.

“For the second time in American history, an Article III court has undertaken to enforce a congressional subpoena for the records of a sitting President,” Katsas wrote in his dissent, referencing a case from 1974 involving former President Nixon.

Judge Karen Henderson, a George H.W. Bush appointee, joined the dissent from Katsas and a separate dissent from Judge Neomi Rao, another Trump appointee.

Trump's lawsuit challenging the Oversight and Reform Committee's subpoena is one of several legal cases over the president's tax and financial records.

In another case, Trump is challenging a grand jury subpoena that the Manhattan District Attorney's Office issued to Mazars.

That subpoena is similar to the Oversight and Reform Committee's subpoena, but the New York prosecutors have also explicitly asked for Trump's tax returns.

A federal appeals court in New York ruled against Trump in that case, and the president's lawyers are expected to appeal it to the Supreme Court.

Additionally, the House Ways and Means Committee has filed a lawsuit in an effort to get a judge to order the Treasury and IRS to provide it with six years of Trump's federal tax returns, and Trump has filed a lawsuit in an effort to prevent the committee from obtaining his New York state tax returns.

Trump suffered a setback in the latter case on Monday when a district court judge in D.C. dismissed Trump's claims against two of the defendants in that lawsuit.

Trump is also seeking to block subpoenas that the House Intelligence and Financial Services committees issued to Deutsche Bank and Capital One for his financial records.

That case is currently pending before the federal appeals court in New York.

Would You Like To Know More?

In The News / Re: 40 YEARS LATER... AN ARREST
« on: November 12, 2019, 06:18:04 pm »
Tuesday, 12th November 2019
Nurse took in disabled teen, then tortured and killed her in 1999
by Minyvonne Burke

A mentally disabled Illinois woman who was found dead along a Wisconsin road 20 years ago had been living with an Illinois nurse, who subjected her to years of "horrific" abuse and killed her, authorities say.

The nurse, Linda LaRoche, was arrested on November 5th in Cape Coral, Florida, where she was living, on charges of first-degree intentional homicide and hiding a corpse in connection to the 1999 death of 23-year-old Peggy Lynn Johnson.

Johnson's body was found on July 21, 1999, in a cornfield in Racine County, Wisconsin.

According to a criminal complaint by the Racine County sheriff's office, she had burns covering 25 percent of her body, possibly from a chemical, broken ribs, bruising on her face and upper torso, and a "noticeably deformed" ear that had been cut.

She also had a broken nose, a discolored cheek and her lower lip was "slit open on both ends," the document states.

An autopsy revealed that she was "slightly malnourished" and had an untreated infection that left her knees and feet swollen.

The complaint states that there was a bruise on Johnson's head from a blow that "did fully penetrate the scalp, but not the skull."

It was determined that the cause of death was homicide by sepsis pneumonia as a result of infection from injuries sustained from abuse. No drugs were found in Johnson's system.

For two decades, Johnson was referred to as "Jane Doe" as investigators worked to identify her.

Then in September authorities received information that helped them uncover her identity.

According to the criminal complaint, a concerned citizen in Florida told police that LaRoche was telling people that she had killed a woman when she lived in Illinois.

It was later determined that Johnson lived with LaRoche, her then-husband and three of her children from 1994 to 1999 before the young woman vanished.

Racine County Sheriff Christopher Schmaling said at a news conference Friday that the case's finally coming to close has brought mixed emotions.

"We are angered by the senseless and brutal murder of this young woman, and we want justice served," he said.

"Yet we're also very proud today by the fact that we can finally offer some closure and some peace."

Johnson, who was raised in Illinois, was 18 when she became homeless after her mother died.

The teen's father and brother were already dead, and she had never met her sister.

Schmaling told reporters that the teenager, who was "cognitively impaired," went to a medical clinic for help which is where she met LaRoche, a registered nurse.

LaRoche "recognized Peggy's disability" and offered to take her in and let the teen live with her and her family, Schmaling said.

According to the criminal complaint, Johnson was allowed to stay with LaRoche's family if "she acted as a nanny and housekeeper."

LaRoche's children, who are now adults, told investigators that their mother was "very abusive" toward Johnson and forced her to sleep in a crawl space underneath the home.

"LaRoche was verbally and emotionally cruel to Peggy, at times screaming at her like an animal," the complaint states.

One of her children recalled a time when LaRoche allegedly stabbed at Johnson's head with a pitchfork.

They all said Johnson had visible injuries.

LaRoche's now ex-husband told investigators that one night he came home from work and found Johnson "lying on the ground lifeless," the complaint states.

He said LaRoche told him that Johnson had overdosed and she was going to get rid of the body "so they would not be involved."

According to the criminal complaint, he said LaRoche was gone for more than two hours and returned home without the girl.

Schmaling told reporters at the news conference that the abuse Johnson endured during the last five years of her life "is something that none of us will ever forget."

LaRoche, 64, will be extradited from Florida to Wisconsin.

Online court records do not list an attorney for her.

LaRoche told detectives that on the day Johnson went missing, she had fainted after she was caught with pills, the criminal complaint states.

LaRoche alleges that she put Johnson in her car, drove to Wisconsin and let her out of the car.

According to the complaint, LaRoche claims that Johnson "was not injured at all when she dropped her off and that something must have happened to her after she dropped her off."

Schmaling said Johnson's remains are buried under the name "Jane Doe" and in the coming weeks she will be laid to rest next to her mother's grave.

Would You Like To Know More?

Black Panther / Re: The moderator Marvelous has died
« on: November 12, 2019, 07:35:01 am »
Tuesday, 12th November 2019

John Clifton Bland was born and raised in Victoria, Texas, one of the oldest cities in the state located between Corpus Christi and Houston.

The city was small and Cliff’s dreams were too big to become reality there.

He moved to San Antonio and soon got a job at Sea World, but never lost his connection with that small Texas town and the friends and loved ones left behind.

Cliff wanted two things – he wanted a Corvette and he wanted to own a comic book store, and he quickly realized he wouldn’t accomplish either of those goals by sweating half to death in a Shamu costume under the sweltering Texas sun.

He spent several years working his way up through different comic stores learning the ins and outs of the business until he finally found his way to Excalibur Comics & Video, which was soon to become the first San Antonio branch of the Dragon’s Lair Comics & Fantasy® chain headquartered in Austin.

When David Wheeler, the owner of Dragon’s Lair, extended the possibility of owning the store as a franchisor, Cliff and his friend and business partner Gilbert Cavazos leapt at the opportunity and although it took several years to come to fruition they became the new owners of Dragon’s Lair in January 2017.

Cliff was a soft-spoken man, with a dry and often irreverent sense of humor.

He took great pride in being co-owner of a successful store that had topped the “Best Comic Book Store” list in the annual survey by the San Antonio Current several times and he worked with the staff to continually improve it.

He also enjoyed being a geek among geeks, and interacting with people who shared his love of comics and games and could often be found at his store outside of working hours playing D&D, Pathfinder, or Blood Bowl or just shooting the breeze with customers and friends who happened to stop in.

Soon after taking over ownership of the store Cliff bought that Corvette.

It wasn’t new and it wasn’t perfect, but it was his and it was exactly what he wanted.

Memorials usually end with a list of the folks survived by the person who’s passed, but it’s more important that Cliff himself will live on in the memories of everyone who knew him.

He was a very self-effacing man and would never admit this, but in his roughly 30 years in the comics and gaming businesses he touched the lives of tens of thousands of people whose lives he enriched and by whom he was enriched.

The world is smaller for his passing, but the joy that he shared with others lives on.

Would You Like To Know More?

Books / Re: The 1619 Project
« on: November 12, 2019, 05:51:00 am »
The 1619 Project

Despite the guarantees of equality in the 14th Amendment, the Supreme Court’s landmark Plessy v. Ferguson decision in 1896 declared that the racial segregation of black Americans was constitutional.

With the blessing of the nation’s highest court and no federal will to vindicate black rights, starting in the late 1800s, Southern states passed a series of laws and codes meant to make slavery’s racial caste system permanent by denying black people political power, social equality and basic dignity.

They passed literacy tests to keep black people from voting and created all-white primaries for elections.

Black people were prohibited from serving on juries or testifying in court against a white person.

South Carolina prohibited white and black textile workers from using the same doors.

Oklahoma forced phone companies to segregate phone booths.

Memphis had separate parking spaces for black and white drivers.

Baltimore passed an ordinance outlawing black people from moving onto a block more than half white and white people from moving onto a block more than half black.

Georgia made it illegal for black and white people to be buried next to one another in the same cemetery.

Alabama barred black people from using public libraries that their own tax dollars were paying for.

Black people were expected to jump off the sidewalk to let white people pass and call all white people by an honorific, though they received none no matter how old they were.

In the North, white politicians implemented policies that segregated black people into slum neighborhoods and into inferior all-black schools, operated whites-only public pools and held white and ‘‘colored’’ days at the country fair, and white businesses regularly denied black people service, placing ‘‘Whites Only’’ signs in their windows.

States like California joined Southern states in barring black people from marrying white people, while local school boards in Illinois and New Jersey mandated segregated schools for black and white children.

Black Panther / Re: The moderator Marvelous has died
« on: November 12, 2019, 04:57:08 am »
Oh... my gosh... :(

Just saw this thread.

Talked to Marvelous a few months ago, regarding his health.

Knew that he wasn't feeling at his best & tried to cheer him up by asking if he could send me 2nd season episodes of Star Trek: Disco.  :)

This is a lot of emotional baggage to unpack.  I mean, A LOT!  :-[

Vox Populi / Re: Disappearing Excellence: The Senate & Loretta Lynch
« on: November 12, 2019, 04:49:37 am »
Tuesday, 12th November 2019
Officer accused of killing Oklahoma police chief in Florida

A small-town Oklahoma policeman was charged with killing his chief after what authorities described as an alcohol-fueled brawl in a Florida Panhandle hotel room.

The two men had been staying at the Hilton on Pensacola Beach over the weekend for a law enforcement conference, said Escambia County Sheriff's spokeswoman Amber Southard.

At some point early Sunday evening, hotel security was called because the two men were being disruptive, Southard said.

Later that evening, hotel staff called the sheriff's department because the men were fighting.

"An actual physical altercation," she said.

When deputies arrived, they found Chief Lucky Miller dead, she said, and there was no weapon.

She added that alcohol was involved and that an autopsy is underway.

A person who answered the phone at a number associated with Miller declined to comment and asked that The Associated Press not call again.

Michael Patrick Nealey, 49, was arrested Monday morning and charged with killing Miller, according to records.

Miller was the police chief in Mannford, Oklahoma, a small town about 20 miles (32 kilometers) west of Tulsa.

It has a population of about 3,200.

Nealey was being held without bond at the Escambia County Jail.

He's charged with homicide.

A lawyer for Nealey wasn't listed on jail records and no additional details were immediately available.

Miller, 44, had been police chief since 2007. He and his wife had three children.

"We are heartbroken by the news," Mayor Tyler Buttram said in the statement.

"Please keep both families in your prayers as we work to move forward."

The town administrator has appointed another officer as interim police chief.

The conference was to be held Monday to Wednesday at the hotel, but it's unclear if it is still scheduled.

An email to the organization wasn't immediately returned.

One of the presenters said his session had been cancelled.

A Mannford police officer told The Tulsa World that the pair was in Florida to learn about death scene investigations.

"Mike Nealey was our detective. Lucky was a hands-on guy, so he always wanted to be there to learn things like that," Officer Jerry Ridley said.

Brett Graves, the President of Carterson Public Safety, the company that organized the event, said in a statement that he was saddened by the news.

"We would like to extend our condolences to the families and agency of those involved."

Mayor Buttram said the two men were "the best of friends" and told The Associated Press that he can't fathom what happened in Florida.

"That's what makes everything so hard. We can't even wrap our heads around this," he said.

"The city's just stunned. The police department's stunned. Nothing makes sense, nothing adds up."

Would You Like To Know More?

Yea the statue games are still a thing, ever since Hero Clix and now the sculps are getting ever more detailed.

In development alongside quantum computing, there is experimentation with VR gear and interacting with 3 dimensional landscapes; similar to the visual effects seen in sci-fi movies such as 'Avatar'; sculptured figurines are gonna be a thing.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 611