Author Topic: Steely Dan or the Police?  (Read 3504 times)

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
Re: Steely Dan or the Police?
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 07:57:33 am »
This is one of the best musical hard choices we've had. I've been listening to Steely Dan Pandora station and I'm going with them. As much as I like The Police, I also really like the warm and sound and arrangements of the Steely Dan body of work. 
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 12:37:51 pm »
This is one of the best musical hard choices we've had. I've been listening to Steely Dan Pandora station and I'm going with them. As much as I like The Police, I also really like the warm and sound and arrangements of the Steely Dan body of work. 
Big surprise, I had the same reaction as you. Very hard choice.  And it hit while I was in a real Steely Dan phase.  So I thought i was being influenced even though I go through my Police runs too.  But you summed it up. Warmth.  Which is why I also put Stevie over Prince. 

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 05:10:56 pm »
"New York to the heart but got love for all..."- Lord Tariq & Peter Gunz
I'd give the edge to the Police, if only for being a largely self contained unit with Sting, Copeland and Summers-- with Steely Dan, you had the core of Fagen and Becker, but there was often a semi-rotating lineup of studio-session folks and touring personnel, right?

I literally didn't know that was a SD track until two days ago. I also didn't know Michael McDonald was in the group or so people tell me.

Speaking of Steely Dan and Michael McDonald...this looks AWESOME!  Definitely going to the show in August!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dukes_of_September_Rhythm_Revue

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 03:00:37 am »
I wouldn't mind seeing that...