Author Topic: Marvin Gaye or R Kelly  (Read 16306 times)

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Marvin Gaye or R Kelly
« on: June 12, 2012, 11:45:36 am »
Marvin Gaye or R Kelly?

Who wins?

Offline Marvelous

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
Re: Marvin Gaye or R Kelly
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 12:12:21 pm »
A calab would be win.

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 12:29:03 pm »
marvin marvin marvin marvin..

"What's goin' on" was obviously a landmark in production values and lyrical themes..  To me, Kells has yet to deliver something like that.. (though he's talented enough.. is that latest, 'retro' album of his worth picking up?)

obviously, Kells is heavily influenced by Gaye, Smokey/Motown, etc.
As he gets older-- and his audience gets older-- we'll see if he goes into less sensationalized territory like the "trapped in the closet" stuff..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 12:41:08 pm »

"What's goin' on" was obviously a landmark in production values and lyrical themes..  To me, Kells has yet to deliver something like that.. (though he's talented enough.. is that latest, 'retro' album of his worth picking up?)

As he gets older-- and his audience gets older-- we'll see if he goes into less sensationalized territory like the "trapped in the closet" stuff..

What about the catalog of Kelly VS Marvin?

If you look at the production and writing outside of his own music Kelly is very prolific and highly successful.

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 01:49:32 pm »
Marvin by a landslide.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 04:48:00 pm »
Kells is the greatest RnB act of his era.

Marvin is the greatest of all time.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 05:35:29 pm »

What about the catalog of Kelly VS Marvin?

If you look at the production and writing outside of his own music Kelly is very prolific and highly successful.

hmm... true inded.. back when michael jackson was alive I wondered if kelly would write/produce a whole album for him..

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 07:16:59 pm »
Kells is the greatest RnB act of his era.

Marvin is the greatest of all time.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT???

I love Marvin. You love Marvin. Everybody loves Marvin but the G.O.A.T in R&B.

NO WAY. NO HOW!

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 07:26:31 pm »
1) Stevie Wonder- There were a lot of acts that have claims to different genres. James Brown is the Godfather of funk and soul. Michael is the King of pop with Prince as the usurper. For unadulterated R&B, Steveland is the GOAT.

2) Smokey Robinson- The architect of 20th century R&B and one of the greatest singer/songwriters of all time. Pure uncut R&B.

3)R Kelly- Ultimate Marvin Gaye! The vision, angst, conflict, and lust of Gaye with superior songwriting and producing skills. The sacred and the profane have never flowed so seemlessly from one person in the history of music.

Feel free to place Marvin BELOW any of these gusy. 8)

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 07:30:31 pm »
If Marvin had lived, it would have been great to see some collaborative albums with him like Kelly did for Ron Isley..

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 07:33:31 pm »
You know; I might as well provoke as much hate as possible!

I'M NOT SCARED!

4) Curtis Mayfield- A lyrical visionary that could craft a story out of any scenario. As attractive as Ron O'Neal made SUPERFLY it was Mayfield that provided the cautionary tales with each classic song of the soundtrack. Another great practitioner of the sacred and profane, PEOPLE GET READY to LETS DO IT AGAIN.

After the game I may have to put Marvin out of the top 10!

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 11:41:45 am »
3)R Kelly- Ultimate Marvin Gaye! The vision, angst, conflict, and lust of Gaye with superior songwriting and producing skills. The sacred and the profane have never flowed so seemlessly from one person in the history of music.

Did you bump your head?
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 12:07:21 pm »
Contest is over for this reason alone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f39Zs0gB87c

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 02:09:15 pm »

Did you bump your head?

No, I didn't but there is so much knowledge and insight flowing from my mind I could've bumped into that.

R Kelly is a self-contained hit-making unit. Marvin's greatest hits all involve other creators whether collaboratively or entirely from someone else's work.

Show me the catalog for Marvin and his musical offspring.

When you come at the King you best not miss! 8)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 08:19:45 pm »
Okay, when I said Marvin was the GOAT, I knew that was rash and I was typing too fast without thinking it through.

But your counter is kinda making my case.

the only person you mentioned who could take the title with ease is Stevie Wonder. When you compare Stevie's "golden period" (MUSIC OF MY MIND, TALKING BOOK, INNERVISIONS, FULFILLINGNESS' FIRST FINALE, SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIFE, the flawed but interesting SECRET LIFE OF PLANTS, and the return to form HOTTER THAN JULY) to Marvin's "golden period" (WHAT'S GOING ON, LET'S GET IT ON, I WANT YOU, the TROUBLE MAN soundtrack, the flawed but interesting HERE MY DEAR), Stevie's got more masterpieces under his belt.

Now that list doesn't count all their respective hits working in the Motown hit machine before they broke off and became creative auteurs.

R. Kelly's HAPPY PEOPLE album is great top to bottom, but it's him mimicking Marvin shamelessly.  Are there some other masterpieces that he's made that I am not considering?  

Curtis Mayfield is magnificent, with the SUPERFLY soundtrack, the SPARKLE soundtrack and the CLAUDINE soundtrack just to name a few great albums, but track for track his solo albums aren't as strong as Stevie's or Marvin's.  

Smokey is the most underrated guy on your list, props for bringing him up, The TEARS OF A CLOWN album is a masterpiece, the QUIET STORM album is also perfect and launched a whole radio format, and his early works with the Temptations launched the great male vocal group of all time.  

Your R. Kelly "argument" (as if a case could be made) is that he makes hits.  Well, Stevie, Marvin, Smokey and Curtis have made more hits then R. Kelly.  And Stevie, Marvin and Curtis inspired countless musicians and had huge cultural impact.  R. Kelly doesn't have a WHAT'S GOING ON or SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIFE in his body of work.  

As a musician, do you want to put R. Kelly's piano playing skills up against Marvin's?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 03:43:18 am by Reginald Hudlin »