Author Topic: Freedom and Parallel Realities  (Read 1373 times)

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
Freedom and Parallel Realities
« on: July 05, 2012, 12:54:30 am »

I tend to avoid political talk for the most part because - well - most of my friends are dead wrong! Just kidding... I have a number of friends that tend to lean conservatively with a few even being self-described libertarians. I, on the other hand, am unapologetically liberal. It's less about being factually correct/incorrect and more about having major philosophical differences about how this country should be run and how our resources should be spent. Don't bother trying to change me, because it isn't going to happen. I have no intention of trying to win someone over to my side, either.

Being a Black man in this country, there are certain things that I just cannot take for granted. My mother was twelve years old before she attended public school after the landmark ruling of Brown vs. Topeka Board of Education. My father was likewise raised in segregation, had classmates who were lynched, and was still denied the right to vote after he came of age. My uncle enrolled in a Masters program at the University of Cincinnati, worked through it, and was denied the masters degree because of his race.

There are all sorts of stories of injustice that I could pull from both sides of my family history, but the main point is: I did not have to go through any of that. (Thank God; Praise Jesus; and NO, I'm not complaining!)

http://www.kareempowell.blogspot.com/2012/07/freedom.html

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Freedom and Parallel Realities
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 10:49:11 am »

I tend to avoid political talk for the most part because - well - most of my friends are dead wrong! Just kidding...