Author Topic: DAVID EVANS WONDERS IF IT'S 1932 AGAIN?  (Read 3020 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
DAVID EVANS WONDERS IF IT'S 1932 AGAIN?
« on: July 05, 2012, 01:13:01 am »
DAVID EVANS:

Reggie,

Once upon a time, during a major economic crisis in the United States, a charismatic presidential candidate who had attended Columbia and Harvard ran against a not-so-charismatic multimillionaire who had attended Stanford.  The former was seen as a headstrong, tax-and-spend, big-government advocate whose proposed social programs could well exhaust the U. S. treasury.  The latter was seen as a successful businessman who believed in a market-driven economy and that, by cutting inefficiency, waste and government intrusion, prudent management could steer the nation through the crisis.

That was 1932 when Franklin D. Roosevelt ran against Herbert Hoover during the Great Depression and the country wisely sided with the “big government advocate” under whom the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA), Social Security and the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) were established.  Millions of Americans were in dire straits and unable to meet the fundamental needs of food, clothing and shelter—much less health care.  Though well-meaning, businessman Hoover didn’t seem to sense the grim immediacy of the situation for the typical family.  In their unemployment, hunger, sickness, homelessness and thirst the American people could not await the results of “prudent management” to rescue them.  They were compelled, therefore, to choose the “for real” over the “ideal.”

Have we, in lo these eighty years since 1932, come again to the same place?  Well, we are in a major economic crisis and have a presidential candidate who attended Columbia and Harvard running against another who attended Stanford.  Moreover, their policies are very similar to those of their predecessors fourscore years ago.

Let’s hope that the American people recognize the grim immediacy of the situation and react accordingly.

Best regards,

Dave

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: DAVID EVANS WONDERS IF IT'S 1932 AGAIN?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 02:09:53 pm »
Please, Obama is no FDR and Romney is certainly no Hoover. This article comes across as another attempt to rev up Obama's 'base' by making him out to be a liberal champion, a mantle he himself wouldn't claim.

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 02:52:02 pm »
Please, Obama is no FDR and Romney is certainly no Hoover. This article comes across as another attempt to rev up Obama's 'base' by making him out to be a liberal champion, a mantle he himself wouldn't claim.

Dude, calm down

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 07:10:44 pm »
^
What part of anything I wrote precipitated that reply? Obama is not FDR and Romney is not Hoover. What is so angry, wrong, or beyond the pale about saying that?

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 08:15:39 pm »
^
What part of anything I wrote precipitated that reply?

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 04:32:17 am »
^
Does, or would President Obama, say he is a liberal champion? Find me a quote from him where he would claim this? Has Obama ever even said he is a liberal? If anything he wants to be seen as a centrist, pragmatic, problem solver, like many other politicians. And my assertion that this article is just trying to rally the troops is not angry, though of course it is debatable. I think that the pro-Obama forces in the media are trying to rally the troops around him and this kind of article seems like part of that strategy. To compare him to the architect of the modern Democratic party. Last time it was JFK, now it's FDR. If only he could get elected a third time, they would probably compare him to Andrew Jackson.

But of course this is a much different country and time than the America of 1932 and despite the horrible wreckage of this recession I don't think it compares to how damaging the Great Depression was and how it put the very idea of the American experiment in jeopardy. As Presidents, I don't think Obama, despite a lot of legislation passed, has been as visionary or as strong as FDR was. As for Romney, despite his business success and his Olympics story, it's nowhere near as compelling as Hoover's rise or his work after World War I. Hoover seemed like he would've made for an excellent president, before he actually became president, whereas Romney comes across as an empty suit who wants the presidency because he thinks its owed to him. Though as President, the idea of Hoover being completely idle in the face of the Depression is being changed as part of the historical conventional wisdom. I'm not expert on this, but from what little I've read/heard, Hoover did try to do something about the Depression, but it was too little, too late.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 05:18:19 am »
>>>Emperorjones (you just have to let me create a HEF avatar for you someday :) )

The 'article' is merely a personal letter to the host of the site shared with the visitors & guests whom was making an American  historical observation.

Nothing to get riled up about.  Not a 'rally cry to the troops' or anything like that.

Seriously.    Chill.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 09:26:44 am by Battle »

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 05:32:50 am »
I agree it is nothing to get riled up about but at the same time the author is kinda talking out of his ass with this "historial perspective". 2 different eras and timelines. One cannot compare.
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 06:50:18 am »
I agree it is nothing to get riled up about but at the same time the author is kinda talking out of his ass with this "historial perspective". 2 different eras and timelines. One cannot compare.

I don't know If I disagree with Mr. Evans point-of-view.
Both timelines are very similar; If you wanted to trace a point and time in the 20th century when a financial crisis occurred during an American President's run and when a financial crisis occurred during this president's run in the 21st consecutively, this would be the clear comparison.  Right down to each president's comparative status.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 11:07:51 am »
^
I think that's highly debatable. There were also economic shaky times during the Ford administration, leading up to the 1976 election (but Obama's people are scared as heck to make any comparisons to Carter and the GOP has tried and largely failed to make that comparison stick), and also the recession of the early 90s, but the Obama folks are also not too keen on drawing many comparisons to Clinton either.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 01:13:56 pm »
Yeah, well...  I remember in the Fall of 1987 when the market crashed suddenly & horribly, no one is pointing to that period either.

Historians are pointing to a critical time in America's history, not a alternating periodical/cyclical time between Carter, reagan, bush and Clinton.