8 (25.8%)
Okoye
0 (0%)
Monica Lynne
2 (6.5%)
Other (please specify)
9 (29%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Let's play matchmaker for T'Challa  (Read 173341 times)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Let's play matchmaker for T'Challa
« Reply #585 on: July 14, 2014, 06:07:20 pm »
I do remember seeing 1 Storm solo written sometime in the 90s.

Not too certain how the story was received but I certainly remember spotting it.

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: July 14, 2014, 06:11:03 pm »
Before I get to this, let me add that Spiderman is BROKE. He's no King of Wakanda, or ruler of an ENTIRE PLANET, nor does he rule a MULTI-DIMENSIONAL SPANNING EMPIRE. Heck, he's not even a "god". Men of all of these accomplishments have offered Storm their hand in marriage and a throne to rule beside them.

Now, back to your post. Yeah, Storm did go in a slump AFTER her marriage was annulled. However, prior to that and prior to being married to BP, she was styling and profiling. She broke off from Xavier and formed her own X-Men team which was government sanctioned (I believe internationally sanctioned). She dubbed the team "X-Treme X-Men" and she led it. Then, when she disbanded that team, she moved back into the mansion and headed another X-Men team. She was portrayed very powerfully and used those powers creatively. After this, she married Panther and her role in the x-books diminished to wallpaper. Even after the marriage, she was still wallpaper because of those stupid, boring writers who were so obsessed with the Phoenix Force, it made the stories stale and boring. Hence, I quit comics for 2-3 years. Now, she's poised to take over the spotlight from Wolverine when he finally kicks the bucket (Can't wait for him to die. I NEVER buy Wolverine comics, but I just might have to pick up the issue where he bites the big one just to celebrate the occasion.), she is the headmistress of the Jean Grey School (I don't buy the title since I don't care to read about those brats, but it elevates her role in the X-World), she is leading two separate X-Men teams, an all female team which is about to go into space (hopefully we get to see some cosmic power stunts from Ororo here as the writer is inspired by the "Brood Saga" which he is currently reading...you know, the story arc where Storm summoned the FULL power of MILLIONS of stars and planets? I'm DEFINITELY picking up this arc!), and the "Amazing X-Men" team written by Chris Yost (which I have just started collecting last month when Yost came on board to write it). On top of this, she is getting her own solo series. Marvel just made a mistake in not giving her her own title years ago. Many people at Marvel and people who are interviewing Pak all agree that Storm is the premier Marvel female character.

Say what you will, but Storm is kicking butt and taking names. This is an EXCITING time to be a Storm fan.

I guess we have a different views of what counts as "styling n' profiling", because in listening to the more realistic of Storm fans, it's pretty much unanimous that for the late 90's and the until the marriage, she wasn't doing anything anywhere near as impressive as when she was in her prime. During the "Golden Claremont Era." She was more or less just "there", and faking her death when her responsibilities got too hard. On top of really only being cool in her non-canon and non-616 versions. If you're counting THOSE, then she was definitely more "styling n' profiling".

And saying "many people at Marvel" means nothing, as that includes the janitors, and others who have no real pull in the business. So I take that with a grain of salt.

And "yes" it is a nice time if someone is a Storm fan.

Okay, I'm gonna tell you what the lowdown is. Fact is, Storm is SOOOO great that Marvel felt sorry for the other women because they could not compare. This is why its taken Marvel so long to give Storm a shot at her own solo title. She had already left all the other women in the dust, so they tried hard to catch them up to her by trying to promote them in their own titles. Seeing that it was an unrealistic goal to elevate those other women to Storm's level, Marvel had no choice whatsoever but to simply own up to Storm's greatness and finally give her her own title. They realized no amount of promoting the other women characters will bring them up to her level. The others simply don't have the moxie to compete. There, I said it just like it is.

Storm's ongoing will also have issues that tie into events going on in the larger MU besides her having her own, solo stories.

Thanks for agreeing with me that it is a nice time to be a Storm fan. There are BIG things in store for her. I can just feel it.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 06:14:33 pm by Rutog98 »
Ex-X-Writer and Ex-X-editor Ann Nocenti writes on Storm:

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Take from page 24 or 26 of her novel, "Prisoner X"

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: July 14, 2014, 06:12:06 pm »

Not too certain how the story was received but I certainly remember spotting it.

It was a 4-issue mini series. I have it because its a Storm mini, but I don't care for it much since it featured the Morlocks. Ugh!

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Booshman

• View Profile
« Reply #588 on: July 14, 2014, 06:18:55 pm »

That was just a 4-issue mini.

Okay, I'm gonna tell you what the lowdown is. Fact is, Storm is SOOOO great that Marvel felt sorry for the other women because they could not compare. This is why its taken Marvel so long to give Storm a shot at her own solo title. She had already left all the other women in the dust, so they tried hard to catch them up to her by trying to promote them in their own titles. Seeing that it was an unrealistic goal to elevate those other women to Storm's leve, Marvel had no choice whatsoever but to simply own up to Storm's greatness and give her her own title. They realized no amount of promoting the other women characters is going to bring them up to her level. The others simply don't have the moxie to compete. There, I said it just like it is.

Storm's ongoing will also have issues that tie into events going on in the larger MU besides her having her own, solo stories.

Thanks for agreeing with me that it is a nice time to be a Storm fan. There are BIG things in store for her. I can just feel it.  ;D

Ok, this is a combination of borderline delusion and blind-faith. No smart company chooses not to strike while the iron is hot and promote everything BUT what they feel is a good idea. Which is why once they saw that Wolverine was gaining momentum rhey didn't stop pushing that cash-cow until they decided to kill him off. It's the exact opposite of Storm. If they felt she was always going to make them a huge Wolverine-level profit, then they would have been pushing her to heck and back way back when, and given her a solo. Especially during the periods that there was no other female character who was as "well-known" as Storm. But they didn't.

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 14, 2014, 06:22:09 pm »

That was just a 4-issue mini.

Okay, I'm gonna tell you what the lowdown is. Fact is, Storm is SOOOO great that Marvel felt sorry for the other women because they could not compare. This is why its taken Marvel so long to give Storm a shot at her own solo title. She had already left all the other women in the dust, so they tried hard to catch them up to her by trying to promote them in their own titles. Seeing that it was an unrealistic goal to elevate those other women to Storm's leve, Marvel had no choice whatsoever but to simply own up to Storm's greatness and give her her own title. They realized no amount of promoting the other women characters is going to bring them up to her level. The others simply don't have the moxie to compete. There, I said it just like it is.

Ok, this is a combination of borderline delusion and blind-faith. No smart company chooses not to strike while the iron is hot and promote everything BUT what they feel is a good idea. Which is why once they saw that Wolverine was gaining momentum rhey didn't stop pushing that cash-cow until they decided to kill him off. It's the exact opposite of Storm. If they felt she was always going to make them a huge Wolverine-level profit, then they would have been pushing her to heck and back way back when, and given her a solo. Especially during the periods that there was no other female character who was as "well-known" as Storm. But they didn't.

Okay, while Storm is definitely Marvel's premier female character (and nobody can tell me different. Pak agrees with this as well as the people who interviewed him...plus, I think this reality is just common sense), I was being humorous with this post you addressed. That said, I never accused Marvel of being "smart". They do a lot of DUMB things.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 06:24:25 pm by Rutog98 »

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Booshman

• View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 14, 2014, 06:28:38 pm »
Okay, while Storm is definitely Marvel's premier female character (and nobody can tell me different. Pak agrees with this as well as the people who interviewed him...plus, I think this reality is just common sense), I was being humorous with this post you addressed. That said, I never accused Marvel of being "smart". They do a lot of DUMB things.

She's the premier female character, but like I said...it's not that honorable of a title, when you look at how crappy they've treated female characters. It's no different than saying "American Eagle is the least stereotypical Native American character", when you look at how badly the others are portrayed. It's like saying "In our roster of Grade F sucky female depictions, who is depicted as at LEAST a Grade D? Her? That's our new Premier."
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 06:38:19 pm by Booshman »

Offline sinjection1

• View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 14, 2014, 06:37:46 pm »

If it happened, it would be a BIG mess all around. The Storm fans would be complaining that he's not good enough for her (I'd be joining them in that) and the Spiderman fans would rather her be with Gwen or MJ. Neither Gwen or MJ can come anywhere NEAR Storm. On a scale of 1-10, if Peter Parker is an 8, Storm is a 16. She is FAR too classy (when written properly, as she will be by Yost as he is now writing her character in "Amazing X-Men" and she'll be written GREAT by Pak), mature and great a character to be written down to where she's in a relationship with that goofball, Parker. Carol Danvers is NOTHING to Storm. Some of you guys can't handle it BECAUSE you're upset she's not with T'challa anymore so you try to play instances where she is devalued (Salustrade, I'm looking at you and your hammer-in-the-face scan with this comment.) Parker needs MJ or Gwen because those women are on his level which is FAR below Storm. The X-Men is Marvel's BIGGEST franchise and Storm is the first lady of the X. She is the first lady of Marvel as well, though many of you don't want to admit it because of Storm hating. Storm joining up with SM will NOT increase her role in the MU whatsoever as the threats he face are stupid. It would actually devalue her while making him look like "The Man" to be able to get a score like that to date him. He's the clean up man/janitor of the superhero community. He takes care of the scrap villains with names like Scorpion, Alligator Man and Doctor Octopus who are too weak to be noticed by the likes of people like Storm. Anyone who looks at the facts objectively knows that I am right.

This post is as shrill as the sirens warning of one of Ororo's F4 tornadoes spotted on the horizon. I pray I never posted anything so laughably arrogant about any characters I am partial to and the thing is....I fear I might have done so. The embarrassment of the prospect itself is crushing  :) 

She is the first lady of Marvel as well, though many of you don't want to admit it because of Storm hating.

Who are these Storm haters? I have read many posts...some unfortunately worded so that it appears animosity was being heaped upon Ororo when in fact, those comments were meant to convey the displeasure and disdain for how she was depicted by those writing her character so badly. I don't believe I've ever read a post by a HEF member stating a dislike for Ororo the character. I don't believe there's any Storm hatred in these precincts  :)

Your devotion to Storm is admirable....and sometimes even alarming. You believe Storm is the first lady of Marvel, then I'll respect your opinion. But there are many who would take issue with you. In fact, I'd venture to say that there are many in the LCBRD who would say that the Storm who is the first lady of Marvel Comics is Sue Storm, not Ororo.
Mr. MajestiK, I like your style. You are the wiser, calmer, more articulate second coming of sinjection to "that other place". You do me proud.

Online supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #592 on: July 20, 2014, 12:28:54 pm »
Okay.

Matchmaker for T'Challa.

http://www.comicvine.com/vixen/4005-2551/

Does Marvel have a VIXEN parallel in it? Seems to me that there are A LOT MORE BLACK WOMEN in DC than Marvel.

Hmmmm.

Seriously, I cannot think of a better match for TChalla than Storm.

Don't start with BLACK SWAN, neither. She ain't it. Not the Dora Milaje either. They don't have enough heft in the MU to be considered.

Somebody once mentioned ELEKTRA.

After I finished laughing? I shoved a sai somewhere's uncomfy for him.

Hey...thought.

Remember in the BLACK WIDOW series, there were WIDOWS sent all over the world? Well...what if one was sent to Africa [ we know there had to be at least one ]. Could she..?

Nah.

Who could actually be a good match for TChalla and won't get themselves boo'd by Wakanda or eaten by TPG?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 12:44:03 pm by supreme illuminati »
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 20, 2014, 02:59:13 pm »
Okay.

Matchmaker for T'Challa.

Does Marvel have a VIXEN parallel in it? Seems to me that there are A LOT MORE BLACK WOMEN in DC than Marvel.

Hmmmm.

Don't start with BLACK SWAN, neither. She ain't it. Not the Dora Milaje either. They don't have enough heft in the MU to be considered.

Hey...thought.

Remember in the BLACK WIDOW series, there were WIDOWS sent all over the world? Well...what if one was sent to Africa [ we know there had to be at least one ]. Could she..?

Nah.

Who could actually be a good match for TChalla and won't get themselves boo'd by Wakanda or eaten by TPG?

Tilda Johnson aka Deadly Nightshade would make a perfect match for T'Challa being a genius level intellect in her own right and someone who'd appreciate Wakanda a lot more than a traitorous mutant with delusions of godhood.

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: July 20, 2014, 03:55:02 pm »
If Marvel were going to put the two back together, here is what I would like to see: I'd like for Storm to have her own solo (which she now as) while T'challa gets his own solo. I would then like to see both character together in a TEAM book like "The Defenders" written by a writer who knows and respects both characters well enough to give each their due while writing them in character. If Marvel wants to try putting the pair back together in the future, it should take time like it does with other married super heroes. Let T'challa and Ororo work through their relationship problems in a team book. If they get married, it should be a couple of years after they have been working together on the same team, had a lot of adventures together on that team and work through their own personal issues. There should be highs and lows in that friendship/relationship before they tie the knot again to give it a more realistic feel. Then, if they are married again, let the marriage be shown in the team book. Their solo books should be about themselves with their own solo adventures. Their marriage partner can show up from time to time for a guest appearance in their respective solos.

Anyway, if I were going to put the pair back together, this is how I would do it. If I were Marvel, I'd make sure to write both characters in such a way where neither fanbase of either character feels like their favorite character is being written down to prop up the other. Also, if I had my way, I would EASILY make Panther a Dr. Doom level threat...but he'd be that level of threat for the BAD GUYS. ;)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 06:10:04 pm by Rutog98 »

Pretty nifty! ;)

Online supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #595 on: July 20, 2014, 08:55:24 pm »
Okay.

Matchmaker for T'Challa.

Hmmmm.

Hey...thought.

Nah.

Tilda Johnson aka Deadly Nightshade would make a perfect match for T'Challa being a genius level intellect in her own right and someone who'd appreciate Wakanda a lot more than a traitorous mutant with delusions of godhood.

TPG would almost certainly eat The Deadly Nightshade's soul. She's too villainous.

And it's Storm's WRITERS who...well, you already know this. I understand that you really have beef with Storm's various indecent writers. Me too.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline sinjection1

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: July 21, 2014, 03:20:28 am »
I never did cast a vote in this poll because I don't want to feel committed  :D

I still like the idea of Ororo and T'Challa/Black Panther and Storm over most other combinations.

However....

I am one of those Brothers who absolutely loved (and still love), the fabulous Anita Baker. She's simply incredible...and delectable. Yes, I said it and I meant it.

Recently, I had the opportunity to reacquaint myself with one of my favorite songs by her: "How Does It Feel"

And while listening, I thought...if Monica Lynne could be written as Anita Baker, it would be T'Challa and Anita...I mean Monica all day, everyday. T'Challa would have to resemble a certain "sinjection" to make that love connection complete.
Mr. MajestiK, I like your style. You are the wiser, calmer, more articulate second coming of sinjection to "that other place". You do me proud.

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: July 21, 2014, 08:16:28 am »
Good Lord let me say if they brought Monica Lynne back I'd write the BP off for life. That's no hyperbole I truly hate that character.

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: July 21, 2014, 09:30:19 am »
Good Lord let me say if they brought Monica Lynne back I'd write the BP off for life. That's no hyperbole I truly hate that character.

So, I guess her being the love interest in a future BP movie a la Jane Foster would be a dealbreaker for you.

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: July 21, 2014, 10:44:57 am »

So, I guess her being the love interest in a future BP movie a la Jane Foster would be a dealbreaker for you.
It would break the deal the mold and every thing else. No...just no. What he sitting around smoking cigarettes during her set...So he goes from Storm to a third rate r&b singer? So they're raiding R&B Divas for a love interest it's come to that...