Author Topic: The sad return O'oroe O'Snooks Thomas (The demise of Ororo Munroe).  (Read 187658 times)

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile
In Uncanny X-Men #253 while Storm was in the hospital after being reverted into a pre-teen body, one of the doctors said, "But her features don't fit any conventional classification. Not Negroid, Caucasian, or Oriental -- Yet somehow, an amalgam of the rarest elements of them all."

Unless there is a serious climate change at Marvel, a change in culture in the X-office and X-verse, Storm is lost. Sure the "so-called Claremount A-list" Storm might return but it's dated. There is not a person I know that thinks that Storm is compelling. Yes, she has some great moments from that era... BUT that Storm aka O'oreo as coined by Mr. Majestik On CBR, is a tanned asgardian fetish-mammy. The Storm from the films is clowned from my view, voted having the worst dialogs EVER in a movie and overshadowed by Rogue with a oscar winning superstar actress even, fainting anytime she displays power in X-Men TAS, a mammy background character in X-men: Evolution then back to fainting and being the weakest X-man in the new X-men anime on G4. Yet part of her fan base blames the marriage. Fact is this, Storm was excluded from the two most monumental modern X-men WAY before the Marriage and Hudlin. That's a fact. Not being in Morrison X-Men or Whedon's Astonishing X-men (not buying that no fliers bs) which has multiple motion animation being released was the real blow to the character. Mind you Storm appears in Black Panther animated series and is shown never fainting once!

Since the mods over on CBR is banning the use of O'oreo (lmao, yet they allow a number of bigoted sub-text to go unchecked), maybe it strikes a nerve. Sure she doesn't write her self, but the folk in control seem to be hell bent on lining her up with that name. I mean read the above quote, cringe worth at best, marginalizing her being black! Many african's have a wide range of features...yet the most prominent writer of Storm according to the X-haters tried to write her blackness off..her african-ness away..then throws her into the arms of white men and Asgardian mythology? As a minority reader, that's not compelling at all.

There something to be said about a character that writers and readers would rather have running around a school then being a political leader, flexing her political power to help her mutant people! That's not a Black Panther writers place, X-writers would have to do that..yet the blame is pushed on Black Panther?
They would rather have her with Thor who powers make her pretty much pointless...and trust me besides Thor hitting it those fans would not give a frak. If they had to dumb down his powers, you can forget it. Then also Logan, or any white male that NOT after or could not get Jean, Emma, Rogue, Psylock in the X-verse? I'm not even talking regular MU female characters like Black Widow!

So like I asked before, what will it take for Storm to move forward? At this point i've lost pretty much all interest in the character. I think Monica is problably better if Marvel got their act together. Until then O'oreo it is.

I mean I have see folks trying to defend AvX vs #5, like T'challa having plans for her, like he would not have plans for anyone...better yet a character with foes and friends that can control minds. There thing is to demonize him. But that's another topic.

Long story short the Marriage was one of the best things to happen to the character period, and they held (x-readers and x-writers) held her back.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 07:59:11 pm by Seven »

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: The sad return O'Oreo Thomas (The demise of Ororo Munroe).
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 02:09:40 pm »
Solid post my bro.

Solid post indeed.

We need to coordinate our efforts in sending a well articulated and detailed protest to Marvel/DC.

What say you fellow Wakandan?

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: The sad return O'oroe Thomas (The demise of Ororo Munroe).
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 02:50:46 pm »

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 09:44:42 pm »
Yes. I have a lot more to say. I had to cut it short..but yes, we need too. I actually was like frak it, but then seeing the post on cbr...we cant go out like that.

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 11:55:29 pm »
Dont forget her long winded dumb ass speeches before she attacks. Im glad in that episode of spiderman TAS he makes a joke of it because it is. I still remember I was clowning how Storm was in the TAS and of course the storm fans were pretending that she is such a great character in the series. As powerful as she is why she get captured by f*cking sentinel is silly if you ask me. Getting shot down by friends of humanity, rarely made an appearance in the key phoenix saga, one can go on and on. Her feats wasnt too impressive as it is. She took down misslies with her powers and frozen omega red  ::) Wow
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 12:09:57 am »
Here's the deal...

In marriage Storm had access to black fans that were normally not available to her.

If we are real about it a black woman with blue eyes and white hair that hangs out with only characters that are mainly white even if they are mutant is a tough sell for the black community in general.

But when you have her agree to marry a character with the name Black Panther and he is king of a technologically advanced African it is like one big huge "Ghetto Pass" so to speak where black folks kind of nod their head and let her be welcome on vouchers.

Once she goes postal on her husband not because he was sleeping around or stealing money out of her purse or leaving the toilet seat up but at the orders of characters who are not black then the gloves come off.

Storm has had a difficulty selling a solo ongoing and really needed that black vote to carry her like President Obama when her usual fan base is not large enough to do so.

Marriage haters or marriage supporters were not enough and now that Wood and other architects are playing musical chairs with themselves and with who wears the pants in the X house Storm's status as HBIC is in jeopardy for years to come.

Hemorrhaging fans was not the way to go so now it will be tough to get her the support she needs to flourish.

Some black fans have called her a black cookie with white filling on the inside and no matter how you try to censor it that is worst than being called a "Stormbot" because it resonates long term on a much deeper level.

She like Black Panther after this may become untouchable to future architects if this spills over further into other genres or venues.

It's tough to escape harsh labels once they are validated and become public domain.
---Flex from Cbr.

black cookie with white filling inside? lmao
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 12:12:33 am by Seven »

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 12:10:43 am »
Dont forget her long winded dumb ass speeches before she attacks. Im glad in that episode of spiderman TAS he makes a joke of it because it is. I still remember I was clowning how Storm was in the TAS and of course the storm fans were pretending that she is such a great character in the series. As powerful as she is why she get captured by f*cking sentinel is silly if you ask me. Getting shot down by friends of humanity, rarely made an appearance in the key phoenix saga, one can go on and on. Her feats wasnt too impressive as it is. She took down misslies with her powers and frozen omega red  ::) Wow
Agreed...she wasnt all that great on it...at all.

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 01:44:48 am »
I dug the Extreme Storm/X-Men.  :) 

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline KidKamikaze10

• Some Nigerian Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 09:53:08 am »
I would love an honest, straight up discussion about this, starting with your post, Seven (because it was awesome).

Unfortunately, I doubt any forum besides here would be able to handle it.  But hey, can I post it on CBR anyway? (don't worry, it'd be going to the minorities in comics thread, not the Storm Appreciation)

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 10:01:32 am »
Sure...Seven = Umbra ;)

Offline KidKamikaze10

• Some Nigerian Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 10:03:40 am »
Sure...Seven = Umbra ;)

Well...

Now I feel dumb, lol.  I should have known.    :D

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 10:15:09 am »
Sure...Seven = Umbra ;)

Well...

Now I feel dumb, lol.  I should have known.    :D

I didn't even know.
Mwhahahahha....
okay. that's wassup.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 11:36:33 am »
Haha ;) :D ;D

Anyhow, couple arguements that don't fly, and are good examples of the bias from O'oreo fans.

1. During Civil War, Mr. Hudlin had T'challa employ at nation wide EMP against Doom and  via the Royal Quintjet!

However, during current X-Men run by Brian Wood, had a aircraft built by that Dr.Nemesis [yhe Ex-nazi talks to O' oreo more then her own husband! :)] Used a EMP verses a proto-mutant sea monster. Storm did NADA!

Mr. Hudlin was bashed for not having Storm EMP a entire nation, however O'oreo not EMPing a monster-mutant was cool! See how that works?

2. Omega Storm bringing up how O'oreo stopped a jet , and how but Hudlin had her not being able to stop a plane. That plane was the Royal Quintjet, for superior to ANY jet storm tried to stop. We have seen how fast Wakandan aircraft is..so no..she would not be able to stop a air superiority craft, just because she stopped a airliner.

So basically O'oreo can be written ANY way, it doesn't matter.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 11:53:12 am by Seven »

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 08:53:00 pm »
Post-Hudlin Storm was supposed to be Michelle Obama of the Marvel Universe, instead she's the Evelyn Lozada of the Marvel Universe.  :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 10:15:40 pm by Seven »

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 09:29:14 pm »
Post-Hudlin Storm was supposed to be Michelle Obama the Marvel Universe, instead she's the Evelyn Lozada of the Marvel Universe.  :)

Haha!  Good one and too true!

Peace,

Mont