Author Topic: The sad return O'oroe O'Snooks Thomas (The demise of Ororo Munroe).  (Read 560039 times)

Offline Maxine Shaw

• HEF Attorney-at-LOL
    • View Profile
Re: The sad return O'oroe O'Snooks Thomas (The demise of Ororo Munroe).
« Reply #1290 on: May 22, 2014, 04:19:13 pm »
Not to mention 99.9 of his male characters are DL which is why as bad as his sex scenes were (and they were awful) I expected worse.

The fact that there WAS a sex scene when the main character was 12 years old is blood-chilling - especially when the male involved was 16.
She wanted attention and that's what she got. - more words of wisdom from HEF's favorite rape apologist TripleX

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: May 22, 2014, 08:50:44 pm »
Not to mention 99.9 of his male characters are DL which is why as bad as his sex scenes were (and they were awful) I expected worse.

The fact that there WAS a sex scene when the main character was 12 years old is blood-chilling - especially when the male involved was 16.

Yeah, glad I skipped that mini.

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: May 23, 2014, 12:42:36 am »

Those numbers I had literally driven out of head and the series I'd long ago gotten rid of. Despicable and sickening. Now comes back the depths of how much I truly despised it.

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: May 24, 2014, 03:56:44 pm »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: May 24, 2014, 04:25:20 pm »

Uhhh-h-h-h...  I believe I changed my mind about what I said about fanatics that dress up as comicbook characters. 

This is a hot couple!

Offline Maxine Shaw

• HEF Attorney-at-LOL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: May 25, 2014, 03:04:19 pm »
Those numbers I had literally driven out of head and the series I'd long ago gotten rid of. Despicable and sickening. Now comes back the depths of how much I truly despised it.

Right? And I was having a good day. Even if you completely ignore T'Challa's age - EJD says that T'Challa was 16 off-panel, so I can ignore it - you can't ignore Storm's age. She REPEATEDLY states that she is 12. I teach 11 and 12-year-olds. 12-year-olds are not known for their brilliant decision-making. In fact, I marvel at their complete lapses of logic.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 03:44:17 pm by Maxine Shaw »
She wanted attention and that's what she got. - more words of wisdom from HEF's favorite rape apologist TripleX

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: June 05, 2014, 07:27:30 am »

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: June 05, 2014, 12:50:27 pm »
Quote from: Joe Acro;162680
This is not a thread for X-Books-bashing, Wolverine-bashing, Storm-bashing or speculation related therein. You don't like how Black Panther is treated somewhere? Okay. Discuss something you actually appreciate. Thank you.

Joe A, where's the "speculation" here?

Itt's pretty much obvious that some of these writers are obssessed with pushing the false meme of T'Challa as "bad husband" ad nauseum to shore up the increasingly weak position of some of their favoured characters and to be frank, it's gotten old really fast.

It's as if they seem to have forgotten that Ororo also has African-American family members who are still very much alive and kicking......

This is a Black Panther Appreciation thread populated by Black Panther enthusiasts and as such, it's inevitable that tasteless depictions of T'Challa as a character or the BP mythos in general are highly unlikely to go down well in this thread especially as the writers churning out said tasteless depictions have zero legitimate reason to keep negatively namedropping T'Challa in their books.

It's not as if Jonathan Hickman has referenced the T'Challa/Ororo annulment post AvX, so what's up with the X-office continuously dredging up what's supposed to be a dead issue?

Are you saying that we're not allowed to discuss matters relating to T'Challa outside of the books Hickman is writing?

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: June 05, 2014, 01:34:27 pm »
I give a good honest effort to be all let be bygones be bygones and supportive of all things Storm but this sssh here...The X offices they try me. Personally I'm good with the split that's not an issue but this childish hackneyed trolling is tiresome. I get it they fear a reconciliation so they gin up some contrived animosity but all they're doing is bleeding away support for her book. I already feared for the success of her book and as it stands now I won't be buying it. They will have to work to woe me back. Maybe I change my mind as it stands I say f-em.

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: June 05, 2014, 01:42:00 pm »
I give a good honest effort to be all let be bygones be bygones and supportive of all things Storm but this sssh here...The X offices they try me. Personally I'm good with the split that's not an issue but this childish hackneyed trolling is tiresome. I get it they fear a reconciliation so they gin up some contrived animosity but all they're doing is bleeding away support for her book. I already feared for the success of her book and as it stands now I won't be buying it. They will have to work to woe me back. Maybe I change my mind as it stands I say f-em.

I'm not even sure whether the X-office realize how bad they're making themselves look at this point. :smh:

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: June 05, 2014, 01:45:06 pm »

Agreed...

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: June 05, 2014, 02:05:54 pm »

To be fair, Pak did not write the annual. Also, given the location of the threat, it would make sense for someone to mention T'challa. Let's not forget how BP did not want Storm interfering in some of his battles in the past, either. Can't Storm feel the same way especially considering the sour note on which the marriage ended? I can bring up other situations to show that this is actually in character for her and not just for BP. For instance, She did not want the X -Men involved in her battle against Candra in X-Men 60-61. During X-treme X-men's "Storm: The Arena", she would not let any of her team accompany her to deal with the threat despite a hefty argument from her team. She did not insult BP here and her wanting to keep him out of the situation was in-character for her.

Realistically, given how badly things were handled with the break up and all that transpired between the characters during that time, how can you expect Storm to say flowery things about T'challa? That is not a realistic expectation. T'challa is far from blameless in this whole debacle, too. I don't see how the animosity is contrived. T'challa chose vibranium over Ororo in a heartbeat without skipping a note in "Doom War"...and this was AFTER he shut her out for that whole arc. While, she would have had some understanding for him shutting her out once the situation became revealed with the nannites in her system and all, to have him so easily discard her life like this over vibranium? This is a woman who expected T'challa to choose her over ruling Wakanda EVEN IF the PG did not approve of her. This is the same woman who stood before the Panther God and told Bast that if she marries T'challa, either she will meet him as his equal in the marriage or this is as far as it goes with her hand palm in the face of the PG. While she would have likely understood BP choosing the vibranium over her, the way he so casually did it would have been a tough pill for any woman to swallow. It would have also diminished the understanding she would have had for him shutting her out earlier even given the circumstances behind that. It would have brought those old feelings back to the forefront with a vengeance. Towards the end of the marriage, Storm probably did not feel she was the number 1 priority in T'challa's life. Whatever a man may be, his duty to his god must come first, and after that, is his duty to his family. This may be way she called him a terrible husband in AvX.  Even after everything, when she came to help Wakanda, he just annulled the marriage without trying to talk talk things out with her to see where she was coming from or anything. She obviously would have stood by her husband and her country if she knew it was going to come under attack. T'challa knows that, but whatever.

The entry into the marriage and the exit out of the marriage were both handled very poorly. The way the annulment unfolded would leave Storm with some animosity towards her ex-husband. He simply discarded her again just as he did in "Doom War" over the vibranium.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 02:31:48 pm by Rutog98 »
Ex-X-Writer and Ex-X-editor Ann Nocenti writes on Storm:

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Take from page 24 or 26 of her novel, "Prisoner X"

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Mad Coco G

• I'm a villain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: June 05, 2014, 03:59:04 pm »
Leave it to good ol Rut to stretch the truth and general falseness

Africa as a whole is not T'Challa, Shuri or any member of the Wakandan army's jurisdiction so mentioning T'Challa's name in that context is stupid but it's Africa and it's the same size as New York.

When Storm was being told not to interfere in T'Challa's Hells Kitchen days it was said by David Liss the writer that he couldn't use her and only had one arc with her where that phrase was said and she showed up and T'Challa said he was glad she did( you folks who love throwing the first part out never want to bring up the second and third part knowing it shuts down your whole argument ). Storm doesn't have the excuse of T'Challa not being hands off to them as they've done everything to show they can use him they just prefer not to use him in any positive way( much like any male of color within their pages ).

If we go by sour notes it's all been written as it's her fault and she's the bitter one( which keeps the running theme of if a black male ain't worshipping her they're not on her good side ) but it's pointless telling you any of this because you're still on that "it's everyone else's fault but her's" kick

Offline moneyspider

• View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: June 05, 2014, 06:16:19 pm »
I read the Amazing X-Men annual and my number one complaint is Ororo's line about not WANTING T'Challa's help. I would have half-way understood it if she had said she didn't NEED his help because she had enough help with the X-Men with her, but her having been portrayed to say she didn't WANT his help, as though she still had some vendetta against him, rubbed me the wrong way. It makes her look small and petty, which is not a good look at all.

This once again is used to drive an unnecessary wedge between this black man and this black woman, which pisses me off like you wouldn't believe.

I spent about 30 minutes crafting a letter to the X-Office regarding my thoughts on the annual, and I'm not holding anything back. I'm going all-in on the X-Office, because they've had this coming for a long time now.

From now on when I contact the X-Office, I'm going to get to the heart of the matter.

I'm not going to sit back, complain and just allow this type of sh*t to continue. Since Marvel loves to see how passionate fans can be (which they have stated many times before), they're about to see a LOT of passion out of me, and not the kind they'd like.

And no, before someone says "It's pointless" or "it's a waste of time," if we sit around, just complain BUT DO NOTHING, the X-Office will continue to do this type of crap because not enough people are trying to stop them. Not enough people are standing up to them and demanding that they stop this crap.

If we want this type of stuff to stop happening with black characters, WE are going to have to make them stop doing this type of stuff to black characters. Expecting these companies run by white men to suddenly realize the error of their ways is not going to happen...we're going to have to DEMAND that they start treating black characters with respect.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 06:23:18 pm by moneyspider »

Offline Wakandan561

• View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: June 05, 2014, 07:41:40 pm »
Theres two ways to look at it:

From the Marvel Editing Perspective, other than Hudlin ALL of Marvel handled the marriage pretty poorly. Especially in the X-Office with their moaning and groaning about T'challa and Storm. It bothered me that they wouldn't let ororo be used more in Hell's Kitchen, and it bothered me that she had such a small part in Doomwar (Though I loved what Maberry did in his run) . The marriage was a chance to really raise T"challa and Storm's profile and Marvel squandered it. I think Hudlin was the only one that got that Storm wasn't just his wife, she was his EQUAL, that's what got Storms fans so pissed with Doomwar, and led to them hating T"challa.

But from A story perspective: It makes since that Storm is still salty with T'challa about what happen. He dumped her in the jungle after taking her virginity at 12, and then she gave him a second chance and  married him  and he shuts her out for the majority of the marriage before ultimately divorcing her.   Sure she saves face with him and is friendly, But her happy ending was never really that happy, and it got completely destroyed. Plus having her daughter around can't make it any easier.  I feel her whole relationship with Wolverine was nothing but a knee jerk reaction to her divorce.

I'd love for the two of them to reconcile again but I'd one to see some character development that put T"challa and Storm at each others throats dealing with the issues that broke them up.
The Absence of Evidence is not The Evidence of Absence