Author Topic: The sad return O'oroe O'Snooks Thomas (The demise of Ororo Munroe).  (Read 558969 times)

APEXABYSS

Re: The sad return O'oroe O'Snooks Thomas (The demise of Ororo Munroe).
« Reply #1320 on: June 08, 2014, 01:04:00 am »
We should probably mention the other African-born (Nigerian) female in the X-verse. Idie Okonkwo/Oya?  Ororo?

>Has the power to manipulate the elements ( fire & ice).
>Wild hair.
>An X-man but not really fully committed. She's sort-of in her own lane.
>Dating one of her class-mates (Quentin). No, hes not black. She cares for him more than he cares for her.
>Nowhere near omega level power. Has trouble controlling her abilities.   
>Lost her parents at a young age (well, she accidentally killed them).
> Accused of witch-craft by her village. Yes, her village. Black women in the x-verse all come from African villages.
> traumatized, emotionally fragile, low self-worth
>Has a good heart, but ultimately plays the side-kick. No real character development.

Comparisons? Coincidences? 

I think, shes a friggin Storm-Clone. OYA ( Yuroba Goddess of the elements) 
Marvel has a lot of nerve. Do they see black women as...? This $#!t is kinda disturbing. Do they really understand diversity?
Shouldnt Storm be able to manipulate hot & cold? Halle Berry (Storm) did in the X-MEN movie.

I know, it sounds like Im whining. Why? WHY? Why? Why? (why-ing)

Black people (males & females) take another L @ Marvel.  Damn, if Im out-of-line, please, tell me.
I feel sick to my stomach, like I'm about to hurl or throw-up... bblblbllblllaaaa...

« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 01:21:01 am by APEXABYSS »

APEXABYSS

« Reply #1321 on: June 08, 2014, 04:18:21 am »
Alright, ok, I know, I go-hard on Marvel. In my opinion, they are consciously or unconsciously portraying negative images of our beloved heroes.

Im just thinking out-loud. They are not above (public) critique.

Now, why would I blast them (Marvel) for their lack of diversity, then try to position myself to possibly work beside them, on behalf of Wakanda & Storm?

Its difficult to chastise a company youre trying to support.

A close friend asked me, what makes you think Marvel would let you advise them, on any level of character development? Especially, Ororo?

I believe, my service would be invaluable. But, as far as Storm, well, thats an easy answer...

I'm gonna try for an Uptown Girl
She's been living in her white bread world
As long as anyone with hot blood can
And now she's looking for a downtown man
That's what I am

Billy Joel~ "Uptown Girl"  (1983)

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: June 08, 2014, 04:22:03 am »
There's a certain level of pernicious stupidity that goes into ascribing blame for whatever actions fictional characters are depicted carrying out especially as they're not responsible for writing themselves.

Neither T'Challa or Ororo write themselves so choosing to ascribe blame to either one of these fictional characters whilst blithely overlooking the writers who've chronicled their individual stories (particularly where Storm is concerned) really constitutes as being exceedingly stupid.

As far as the scene where T'Challa admonished Storm for seeking to assist him in his battle with Doom is concerned, T'Challa was fully within his rights to have reacted in that way as this was a one-on-one battle between to rival monarchs fought under the unspoken rule of man-to-man combat in the spirit of duels from bygone era's.

Black Bolt, Namor and Shuri, Doom and even Ororo herself, would all have reacted in much the same manner if placed in similar circumstances.

I mentioned Storm because from what I remember of her encounter with Callisto, it's not as if she had anyone help her in that one-to-one combat scenario either but as usual, when it comes to casting unnecessary and unfounded shade at T'Challa, some people tend to engage in myopic tunnel vision.

The marriage between T'Challa and Ororo was consistently maligned, diminished and disrespected by the X-Office ad nauseum with Reginald Hudlin and Dwayne McDuffie being the only writers to portray both characters in a positive light so any and all claims to the effect that the marriage was a badly executed concept on the part of Reginald Hudlin is purely nonsensical.

The fact that post AvX, the selfsame X-office that clamored to wrestle Storm from the "dianbolical" clutches of T'Challa, just can't seem to keep his name out of their mouths says a lot about who really needed who in that scenario.

Everything negative that's been written about T'Challa and Wakanda over the last few years has been handled by X-writers so it's pretty much evident to anyone with an unbiased eye that said office seems to have a very clear negative agenda aimed firmly at all things BP mythos related.

Only a complete idiot would fail to see this.

As for Punk Storm, that image should be consigned to the dustbin of history alongside the odious movement that spawned the look in the first place.

I don't see what Ororo has to be rebelling about at this stage of her life but leave it to rabid X-fans to celebrate rebellion without a valid cause as opposed to genuine action which actually achieves something constructive.

APEXABYSS

« Reply #1323 on: June 08, 2014, 05:27:15 am »
"But, If I did, Id use the illest reference possible. Yes, Im giving away a major-jewel out of the treasure chest." ~apexabyss

Last but not least... I mentioned this before, remember? Last year! Tinker-Bell & her Fairy Friends? No more jewels until July.
I'll start droppin' W.W.O. pages! OUCH!!! Here comes the pain. The take over! I gave them an advanced warning. Again, I'm not askin'...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 05:30:45 am by APEXABYSS »

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: June 08, 2014, 10:31:24 am »
Rutog

I admire your Standom while disagreeing with much of what you said ,actually  I love you defend her so vigorously. And I get the suspension of disbelief is how we enjoy all works of fiction. She abandoned the marriage by --abandoning the marriage she was gone all the time and he forgotten her duties and throne. They could've incorporated him in a million ways chose not too. Water under the bridge they got their way now they need to tread lightly.
    Doomwar was Shuri's moment and his worse but it was about letting her shine and casting he and Storm to that side. I hated her a long time for that. I'm not going detail her failings as a wife because I like Storm too much but suffice it to say the X offices are aware emotions still run high and they'd do well as the winners to show some grace.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 10:47:15 am by Princesa »

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: June 08, 2014, 11:55:40 am »
@Salustrade

I did not criticize T'challa for the Doom situation. I was merely drawing a parallel between that and Storm wanting to confront Maruda without him. I'm just trying to say people need to be fair in the application of this whole "honor" thing. Some things, a person feels they need to confront on their own. For T'challa, the Doom situation was one of those instances. For Storm, Meruda was the same as was Candra in X-Men issue 60-61. For the Meruda thing, Storm saw it as a private, family affair. The X-Men have become her second family, so she allowed them on this trip with her. (She did not allow them to tag along for the Candra debacle in X-Men 60-61.) T'challa is no longer family to her though they may be friends right now. Ergo, she did not want to involve him in this situation.

About the mohawk, I agree with you. It worked for the time it first appeared, but now, its just ugly and dated. Its gotta go.

@Princesa

Fair enough. That said, we still have over a month before Storm #1 comes out. I have every confidence that you are going to AT LEAST flip through the issue in the store out of curiosity. When you do, and you see ALL of that Storm goodness, you'll likely buy the issue. ;)
Ex-X-Writer and Ex-X-editor Ann Nocenti writes on Storm:

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Take from page 24 or 26 of her novel, "Prisoner X"

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: June 08, 2014, 03:04:22 pm »
@Salustrade

I did not criticize T'challa for the Doom situation. I was merely drawing a parallel between that and Storm wanting to confront Maruda without him. I'm just trying to say people need to be fair in the application of this whole "honor" thing.

But here's the thing.

There was virtually no tangible reason for T'Challa's name to have even been brought up in the first place.

Post AvX, T'Challa's name has probably been mentioned in X-books featuring Storm more times than was ever the case before the X-scribed annulment.

Why is that?

I take onboard your comment as regards fairness in assessing the portrayals of both scenarios but can you in all honesty, justify the relentless trolling that the Black Panther character has suffered at the hends of the X-writers for almost a decade pre/post AvX?

Some things, a person feels they need to confront on their own. For T'challa, the Doom situation was one of those instances. For Storm, Meruda was the same as was Candra in X-Men issue 60-61. For the Meruda thing, Storm saw it as a private, family affair. The X-Men have become her second family, so she allowed them on this trip with her. (She did not allow them to tag along for the Candra debacle in X-Men 60-61.)

Storm was still married to T'Challa when this occured.......

So from an story perspective, it's pretty much obvious that she has a somewhat confused idea as to what constitutes as family.

And let's not forget this scene which clearly illustrated that Storm was in the wrong....

and one is left wondering how any self respecting reader could ever fix to support reading stories written by such a bunch of inconsistent hacks masquerading as professional comic book writers?

These idiot writers clearly want to have their cake and eat it too which is why we get contradictory rubbish like this happening...

At the end of the day, I choose to look at what's on the page as being an extension of the writers will and as such, the only reasonable conclusion that I've come to accept is the fact that a lot of X-writers remain unhealthily fixated upon emasculating and humiliating Black male figures in their books as well as reducing Black females like Ororo and Idie Okonkwo into easy sexual conquests for white males featured within said books.

T'challa is no longer family to her though they may be friends right now. Ergo, she did not want to involve him in this situation.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Family didn't seem to count for much here did it?

About the mohawk, I agree with you. It worked for the time it first appeared, but now, its just ugly and dated. Its gotta go.

The mohawk represents where the X-writers want to see Storm staying.

Namely in a state of arrested development and empty posturing.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 03:06:20 pm by Salustrade »

Offline Booshman

• View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: June 08, 2014, 11:01:53 pm »
I've come to accept is the fact that a lot of X-writers remain unhealthily fixated upon emasculating and humiliating Black male figures in their books as well as reducing Black females like Ororo and Idie Okonkwo into easy sexual conquests for white males featured within said books.

Idie, Ororo, Cecelia Reyes, AND Frenzy.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 11:03:24 pm by Booshman »

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: June 09, 2014, 07:12:03 am »

a lot of X-writers remain unhealthily fixated upon emasculating and humiliating Black male figures in their books

Don't forget killing.

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #1329 on: June 10, 2014, 08:45:59 pm »
@Salustrade

I did not criticize T'challa for the Doom situation. I was merely drawing a parallel between that and Storm wanting to confront Maruda without him. I'm just trying to say people need to be fair in the application of this whole "honor" thing.

But here's the thing.

There was virtually no tangible reason for T'Challa's name to have even been brought up in the first place.

Post AvX, T'Challa's name has probably been mentioned in X-books featuring Storm more times than was ever the case before the X-scribed annulment.

Why is that?

I take onboard your comment as regards fairness in assessing the portrayals of both scenarios but can you in all honesty, justify the relentless trolling that the Black Panther character has suffered at the hends of the X-writers for almost a decade pre/post AvX?

Some things, a person feels they need to confront on their own. For T'challa, the Doom situation was one of those instances. For Storm, Meruda was the same as was Candra in X-Men issue 60-61. For the Meruda thing, Storm saw it as a private, family affair. The X-Men have become her second family, so she allowed them on this trip with her. (She did not allow them to tag along for the Candra debacle in X-Men 60-61.)

Storm was still married to T'Challa when this occured.......

So from an story perspective, it's pretty much obvious that she has a somewhat confused idea as to what constitutes as family.

And let's not forget this scene which clearly illustrated that Storm was in the wrong....

and one is left wondering how any self respecting reader could ever fix to support reading stories written by such a bunch of inconsistent hacks masquerading as professional comic book writers?

These idiot writers clearly want to have their cake and eat it too which is why we get contradictory rubbish like this happening...

At the end of the day, I choose to look at what's on the page as being an extension of the writers will and as such, the only reasonable conclusion that I've come to accept is the fact that a lot of X-writers remain unhealthily fixated upon emasculating and humiliating Black male figures in their books as well as reducing Black females like Ororo and Idie Okonkwo into easy sexual conquests for white males featured within said books.

T'challa is no longer family to her though they may be friends right now. Ergo, she did not want to involve him in this situation.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Family didn't seem to count for much here did it?

The mohawk represents where the X-writers want to see Storm staying.

Namely in a state of arrested development and empty posturing.

Game. Set. Match. Aaaand STIIIILLLL...
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: June 11, 2014, 04:24:40 am »
Ok,  stupid thought of the day:  how many bottles of hair spray does Storm need to make that Mohawk work?   Her hair is long and it does not naturally stand straight up like that.   

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: June 11, 2014, 09:13:08 am »
Ok,  stupid thought of the day:  how many bottles of hair spray does Storm need to make that Mohawk work?   Her hair is long and it does not naturally stand straight up like that.

Ororo doesn't use aersol sprays.  She uses naturally charged static electricity.

Offline Moose100

• View Profile

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #1333 on: June 12, 2014, 10:06:47 am »

Ororo doesn't use aersol sprays.  She uses naturally charged static electricity.

Hahahahahah!!

You know what?....

...I betcha she does.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Maxine Shaw

• HEF Attorney-at-LOL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: June 24, 2014, 12:49:09 pm »
After the divorce they didn't talk for half a year or more. They could have had them amicably split or give each other the big F YOU both good with me. Eventually they went the former. Fine but don't come with all this poor wronged Storm sssh. They both failed.

I think the problem is that it depends on which version of the breakup you buy. Remember, there's a version where T'Challa broke it off, and a version where Storm broke it off, just like there are two versions of their engagement - Claremont's and Hudlin's. The problem is that the breakup LITERALLY came out of nowhere. There wasn't even a lead-up to the sh*t. So it's impossible, IMO, to figure out who was wrong because neither of them were wrong.

But I definitely agree that Marvel could've just gone with a "let's call the whole thing off" mode and left them as friends. What they did to both Black Panther/Storm and Wolverine/Storm is unforgivable. T'Challa comes off smelling like roses either way. Wolverine's going to be Wolverine, regardless. It's Storm who has been utterly ruined.
She wanted attention and that's what she got. - more words of wisdom from HEF's favorite rape apologist TripleX