Author Topic: My BLEEDING COOL article about racism in the comics biz...  (Read 7381 times)

Offline BrandonEaston

• View Profile
    • Fool's Crusade -- The Easton Blog
My BLEEDING COOL article about racism in the comics biz...
« on: September 13, 2012, 11:03:42 am »
I was asked by Rich Johnston to comment on the demographic findings on race and gender from a previous article.

Here you go:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/09/13/understanding-ethnocrunching-how-racism-works-in-the-comic-industry/

B.

www.shadowlawonline.com -- Check the new series!

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: My BLEEDING COOL article about racism in the comics biz...
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 11:18:32 am »
Very well written.  Well done, Brandon.

Offline BrandonEaston

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 11:52:28 am »
Very well written.  Well done, Brandon.

Thanks. Hopefully we can meet again sometime and chat, outside of Golden Apple that is. :)

Best,
B.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 01:47:13 pm »
kudos, mr. easton! what are your next projects?  :)
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 05:54:16 pm »
Very well written, profound article!

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 08:12:32 pm »
This is the realest thing I've ever seen.
Thank you for this.
Great job.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 09:41:05 am »
This is great, BE. Here are a couple of notes I made while reading it:

One more thing, I’m not an advocate of affirmative action in comics. Either you have talent or you don’t. The problem is that those with talent aren’t getting the same opportunity to pitch ideas as others. The numbers don’t lie. The question is why are the numbers so low?
I would say that giving that opportunity to a wider pool of talent IS affirmative action. So maybe you are an advocate after all.  ;)

I should delineate between comic book illustrators and comic book writers. To break in these days, a writer must distinguish themselves in Hollywood and/or the independent comics scene and/or be a creator of something in popular entertainment. The few Black writers who’ve been employed by Marvel or DC in the last few years have fit the bill (Eric Wallace, Felicia Henderson, Eric Jerome Dickey, Hudlin). However, there have been writers at Marvel and DC who never had to be someone notable outside of the realm of graphic novels to get a gig.
This reminds of a Chris Rock bit (from Never Scared, I think) where he's talking about how racism plays out differently in his life now that he's rich and famous. He lives in an upscale neighborhood and counts Mary J. Blige and Eddie Murphy among his few (only?) black neighbors. Pretty impressive company. His (white) next door neighbor is ... a dentist.

The argument usually is this: “The reason the mainstream comic book industry infrastructure is predominantly White is because mainly White males read comic books. These same White males fall in love with the characters and then fall in love with the industry and then a few of them pursue it seriously as a career. The numbers in the industry reflect this and it’s not the result of racial engineering.”

That argument wouldn’t be a problem if it wasn’t a flat out lie.
Bam! Not only is it untrue in actual printed comic books but clearly these characters have entered the mainstream and have an audience much broader than comic book customers.

I said before that people confuse racism and prejudice. The difference is that racism = prejudice + power. A lot of people have prejudices but not everyone has the power to transform that prejudice into a stimulus that can affect jobs, economics, education and housing. I know some Black folks who scream and holler about White people but it doesn’t change a single thing. That’s prejudice.

There are Whites who scream and holler about Black people and they get increased police protection or get congressional districts realigned to keep their kids away from predominantly Black school districts and cause those school districts to lose funding, therefore affecting the lives of Black students. That’s racism.
My dad says this. I find this formulation a little too black & white for real life mostly because power comes in a lot of different sizes. That said, I think your point about there being a pronounced asymmetry is dead on.

I’m going to reveal a secret about Black males – a lot of us are naïve idealists. We actually believe that people are going to judge us on the content of our character rather than the color of our skin.
I'll admit to holding on to that hope. Sometimes it does work out that way. But I don't actually expect it. I lived abroad for a number of years and coming home made this dynamic particularly acute. It was like picking up a weight jacket at the border that I hadn't quite realized I had lost.

i reflect on the words of my friend Peter Briggs, the “Hellboy” screenwriter who was once asked “Why do Hollywood films suck so often?”

Briggs replied, “Incompetence is rife in this business, and egos make it worse. And there’s a culture of poker buddy, frat boy nepotism that fosters ‘who you know’ and filters out genuine talent. And that’s why bad movies get made.”

Replace movies with comic books in this equation. Add in egos fueled by bigotry and the sum is about 3.0%.
Nice closing.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 11:31:54 am »
Thanks for writing.

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 11:39:26 am »
great article! It's really on point and pretty much lays out EVERY issue.

Offline BrandonEaston

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 03:40:48 pm »
Tomorrow (Wed, 9/19) between 4pm - 5pm PACIFIC TIME I will be doing another giveaway of SHADOWLAW in PDF format exclusively through my Twitter feed. Add me to participate:

https://twitter.com/BrandonEaston

B.

Offline Pantherfan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 08:18:38 am »
I enjoyed the article. I could relate to the naive idealist part. I often go into situations with that in mind and then get disillusioned when the person reveals their "true colors" so to speak.  Nowadays, I find myself getting frustrated when you go into a meeting and the person interacting with you isn't use to dealing with blacks on a daily basis. The business meeting becomes awkward when the person throws tons of race-related things and I'm  thinking, "Can we talk about something else?"

I often try to give my POV on the race thing to certain people at these meetings who would ask but as soon as things got uncomfortable or unfamiliar to them, they would change the subject. I hated that and after my last meet I vowed that I wouldn't discuss race-related things as the people who tend to be the most sincere about it, aren't and the people who front like they want to know, aren't interested other than hearing the sound of their own voice.

Offline moor

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 08:25:31 pm »
Is it "naive idealism" or  hope

I'd like to think the latter.

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 06:56:18 am »
Damn, why am I just now reading this? That was epic journalism! It needs to be sent to every editor at the big 2. Though I don't think it would tell them anything they don't already know. They simply don't care. As long as fanboys buy the next big crossover event, that's all that matters to them.

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 02:42:30 pm »
Here is a link to Millarworld about the article.

http://forums.millarworld.tv/index.php?/topic/101771-racism-in-the-comics-industry/

You wanted a new place to post, Triplex, here you go.

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 07:48:24 pm »
Here is a link to Millarworld about the article.

http://forums.millarworld.tv/index.php?/topic/101771-racism-in-the-comics-industry/

You wanted a new place to post, Triplex, here you go.

I just read the entire thread, and yeah that's a winner. Thanks bruh!