Author Topic: Apocalypto  (Read 12978 times)

Offline Ed

• View Profile
Apocalypto
« on: December 10, 2006, 07:22:21 pm »
Did anybody else see this movie?

I saw it on Friday. Very good movie. I was very impressed and moved by the acting. It is better than what the trailers show, so i can understand why some might not initially want to go see it but it is worth it.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Apocalypto
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 08:00:20 pm »
Maybe. I don't know when it will come here. But I'm more likely to watch it than "300".
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 12:33:56 pm »
I won't see it because I can't get past Mel Gibson

Offline Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 10:38:05 am »
I won't see it because I can't get past Mel Gibson

He's not even in the movie.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 10:58:53 am »
Its enough that he is involved.  Its not even named "Apocalypto", its named "Mel Gibson's Apocalypto."  Being jewish, I really take offense to what he said, and its enough to keep me from seeing his movies.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 02:09:01 pm »
Its enough that he is involved.  Its not even named "Apocalypto", its named "Mel Gibson's Apocalypto."  Being jewish, I really take offense to what he said, and its enough to keep me from seeing his movies.
I can respect that.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Sam Wilson

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 05:16:23 pm »

I aint jewish but I'm offended by what he said also, I have no intention on ever seeing any of his movies ever again. 

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 06:04:17 pm »
Though I am a hypocrite because I swear I would run out to see Lethal Weapon 5

Offline Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 03:39:39 pm »
To not see the movie because of what he said is immature. What Mel Gibson said was offensive yeah, but a lot of other people worked hard on Apocalypto and they made a good movie. You shouldn't let a druken man's ramblings stand in the way of you enjoying art. You are just responding to hate with more hate. Martin Luther King J.r, Malcom X, and Jesus taught agianst that.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 04:48:04 pm »
responding hate with hate would be if I said I wasnt gonna see the movie because I thought Mel was an asshole.  I'm choosing peaceful resistance, and ignoring it as a whole.  I choose not to go see it just like many here would most likely choose to ignore a Michael Richards movie.  I don't see whats wrong with that.

Offline Sam Wilson

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 06:40:54 pm »
To not see the movie because of what he said is immature. What Mel Gibson said was offensive yeah, but a lot of other people worked hard on Apocalypto and they made a good movie. You shouldn't let a druken man's ramblings stand in the way of you enjoying art. You are just responding to hate with more hate. Martin Luther King J.r, Malcom X, and Jesus taught agianst that.

well, I don't believe in Jesus (I don't believe in Muhammed or any other form of organized religion either, so don't take it personally), so I'm safe there I guess.

And it's not hate or immaturity as much as it is a personal choice.

Curtis, can a heretic still be a mod?   :)

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 07:22:22 pm »
well, I don't believe in Jesus (I don't believe in Muhammed or any other form of organized religion either, so don't take it personally), so I'm safe there I guess.

I'm with you 100% on that

Offline Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 09:58:29 am »
responding hate with hate would be if I said I wasnt gonna see the movie because I thought Mel was an asshole.  I'm choosing peaceful resistance, and ignoring it as a whole.  I choose not to go see it just like many here would most likely choose to ignore a Michael Richards movie.  I don't see whats wrong with that.

See I can understand if you saw the movie trailers and did not feel interested, but if you saw them, thought it looked interesting, then heared what Mel said and decided to ignore, now that would be immature because you let something a person said who you don't even know, bother you. That's what I'm saying. If you were never going to see it, I can respect that.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 10:09:38 am »
Mel is writer, director, and producer.  I just don't want one cent of my income going to endorse the project of an anti-semite.

Offline Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 10:29:04 am »
Mel is writer, director, and producer.  I just don't want one cent of my income going to endorse the project of an anti-semite.

For me, it's not that. He went to Mexico and helped out so many people there. He payed them so well they don't have to come to America and look for work spending thier entire lives as janitor or a gardener. He also donated over millions of dollars to help Mexican children. Say what you will about him, but he is doing a lot to help other people. I don't care if he does hate jews, which he says he does not, because at least he does something to help others in the world. Now look it. You had made this thread into a debate about Mel Gibson. I think for now on we should talk about the movie instead of debating about a person who we don't even know.