Author Topic: The YouTube thread: gems and garbage  (Read 160324 times)

J.R. LeMar

Re: The YouTube thread: gems and garbage
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2006, 10:55:59 pm »
He said last year that he's basically quite battling for that very reason. He's sick of being
stereotyped as a "battle rapper" who can't make good music. Plus, as he put it, winning
battles no longer does him any good, cause folks expect it. He said something like, "If
I beat MC Get Busy @ some club in Omaha it's like "Jin won another battle" who cares?'
But if he beats me, it's getting covered on all the rap websites, JIN LOST! And he's putting
out a press release dropping a mixtape, and launching a Myspace page.

Plus, many of his opponents have an advantage now, because he's so well-known in
the battling circuit. So they can take their time and write down rhymes directly about him,
(like Serius Jones, who admitting to having "some thoughts prepared" before the Fight
Klub battle) but Jin goes in blind and has to really freestyle, which he's good @, but still.

His latest CD, I Promise, was just released exclusively via his Myspace page. @ first folks were
like, why not put this in the stores? But then I thought about it, and it's pretty smart.
He's got over 91,000 friends on his list. @ $16 a pop, if even only 25,000 of them buy it, that's
$400,000 right there. And he probably keeps $8-$10 from each sale, as opposed to the dollar
or so you'd get from a major label. And he announced it would go on sale Nov. 1 through Nov. 27th, then start shipping to customers in Dec. Again, really smart. Wait until all the orders
are in, then print up exactly how many are needed. So there's no overstock.

I got mine. It's pretty good. Though, I admit, it seems that some of the tracks are
trying a bit too hard to be "mainstream." Y'know, club-bangers and stuff. It's better than his
first CD on Ruff Ryders, but I prefer his 2nd CD, The Emcee's Properganda. It's more
Old School and raw, because he sounded more hunger and eager to prove himself after
leaving RR.  If you want to PM me your address (or hit me up on Myspace if you're there) I can burn you a copy.

Offline Marvelous

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2006, 11:51:29 pm »

Just couldnt stop smiling.  Music with instruments, who woulda thunkit.  :D

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline The Dark Wright

• Me & you... yo' Momma & yo' cousin too...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2006, 07:53:51 am »
I got mine. It's pretty good. Though, I admit, it seems that some of the tracks are
trying a bit too hard to be "mainstream." Y'know, club-bangers and stuff. It's better than his
first CD on Ruff Ryders, but I prefer his 2nd CD, The Emcee's Properganda. It's more
Old School and raw, because he sounded more hunger and eager to prove himself after
leaving RR.  If you want to PM me your address (or hit me up on Myspace if you're there) I can burn you a copy.

Just because you recommend it I'm going to get my own copy(ies) (I can't believe I'M passing up free music, wtf?).  Plus he makes a good point -- kinda like when Jay said "You shoot me, you're famous, I shoot you, I'm brainless."  Good sharing POV's w/you  J.R.  I'll get back to you after I've had a listen.

J.R. LeMar

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2006, 06:08:37 pm »
Well, if you change your mind, let me know. Cause I can also add some of his unreleased tracks,
like "F*ck Jay Z" (it's not what you think). The CD would be hard to find in stores, since it was independant. So it'd be easier to order online. Like here:
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6947959&BAB=M

Here's a link to the video he made for one song. Really cheap, as you can see,
but listen to the lyrics. And somehow he actually got Kool Herc to appear in it.

Not sure I'll be around much after this. One of my New Year Resolutions is to
severely limit my time online (other than Myspace).

Offline The Dark Wright

• Me & you... yo' Momma & yo' cousin too...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2006, 07:46:28 pm »
Here's a link to the video he made for one song. Really cheap, as you can see,
but listen to the lyrics. And somehow he actually got Kool Herc to appear in it.

That video was perfect fot that song, in the streets.  Flow was tight, too, like Pac's "Strictly Representin'" from Strictly for my N.I.G.G.A.Z.

Cards were funny, too -- Cormega, Lil Wayne, and Pharrell in the top 5's -- whatever.

Offline Marvelous

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2007, 04:36:49 pm »
A definate Gem for me!  :D

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:

Offline sharcque

• I'm kinda old, but chicks still dig me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2007, 08:37:43 pm »
Well, since my 1st attempt to link to a Youtube video got deleted due to its content (In my best Sean Connery voice:  "Marvelous, we're gonna have a reckoning, me & you!"), I thought I'd post this goodie!

Offline Marvelous

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2007, 01:56:38 am »
Well, since my 1st attempt to link to a Youtube video got deleted due to its content (In my best Sean Connery voice:  "Marvelous, we're gonna have a reckoning, me & you!"), I thought I'd post this goodie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHWXf1xyFBs

yo man, that $#!t was foul!   ;D

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2007, 06:43:22 pm »
Maybe the best part of Blacula:

Offline Marvelous

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2007, 12:41:28 am »
Chemical Brothers w/ K-Os 

Kinda cool what they did to the Kung Fu Classic, Shaolin and Wu Tang.  Perfect dub, perfect additions to items like mics, records, turntables, headphones...too funny.  :D

ps. I cheated, its a Google Vid  :-\

Jenn

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2007, 09:45:45 am »
I'm cheating too: posting one of my own.

If Chris Rock ever leaves his wife, he needs to marry his true love - Wanda Sykes! Their chemistry is undeniable!  :P

Offline David Yardin

• View Profile
    • www.davidyardin.com
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2007, 06:01:43 pm »
One of my fave groups:

Jenn

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2007, 06:24:56 pm »
I forgot how much I love this song. Always gets me pumped up before a sparring session. I'd argue that ELE was Busta's best album. I know he's a homophobic f*ck, but I love the guy.  :-[ (And I have a crush on Rah Digga. I'm ashamed to admit that I own "Carmen: a Hiphopera" because of her.)

« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 05:30:45 am by Dora Milaje »

Offline Marvelous

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2007, 09:39:01 pm »
Pablo Fransico - Brothers Write Songs

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2007, 01:59:30 am »
Another funny video, Witness the Fitness.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo