Author Topic: The Mighty Black Avengers.  (Read 47734 times)

Offline Toya

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Indifferent.
    • View Profile
Re: The Mighty Black Avengers.
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2006, 01:05:59 pm »
I agree with Happypants Panther, something other than race is more motivating. Unless they were all hunted by the KKK and had to defend each other. They became succesful and decided to remain a team--now that's a different thing even though it's based on race.

The Black Avengers, courtesy of Black Superhero Museum

...Rassclaat.

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2006, 01:15:38 pm »
On the old forum, when we discussed this topic, one of the posters posted this:

Offline bluezulu

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2006, 02:07:44 pm »
i remember both of those but it was one more that featured only marvel characters. i will look around for it.

Offline Toya

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Indifferent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2006, 02:21:40 pm »
i remember both of those but it was one more that featured only marvel characters. i will look around for it.

This..?

Does anyone else remember this alternate reality version of the Avengers from the New Warriors storyline where Sphinx ruled the Earth??
...Rassclaat.

Offline bluezulu

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2006, 03:20:36 pm »
no it was another black and white piece i think it might of had triathlon and others in it.

Offline Francisco

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2006, 04:55:25 pm »
Josiah X the leader

Monica Rambeu powerhouse number 1

Monet St. Croix the powerhouse number 2.

Cage

War Machine the tech genius

Brother Voodo the magic one. (with a power boost)

Shango (with a powerboost as well)
Don't get fooled by the bombs that I get I'm still I'm still Saddam from Iraq.

Offline blkyoda

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2006, 05:41:15 pm »
The only people I can see doing the team thing, without it being sometype of 'Mystical character brings them all together'....is:

War Machine - probably leading things, he's got the experience

Vibraxus, as the young hot head and he's got interesting powers

Luke Cage for strength and comedy relief

Captain Marvel/ Photon for super energy powers and to have at least one woman

And the other TWO should be new characters. Most superhero teams add one or two new people (or dust off someone that you haven't thought of in years) to give themselves some artistic freedom. To be fair, I can't see BP bothering to be on a team, but he'd fund them.

Offline sinjection

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2006, 06:52:10 pm »

Shango (with a powerboost as well)

That's what I'm talkin' about.
Reginald Hudlin's Black Panther IS THE Black Panther

Offline Hulkster

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2006, 07:57:30 pm »
There were no blacks on either team I might add.

Cage was a Defender for nearly a year and Black Goliath was a part-time member of The Champions.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 07:59:28 pm by Hulkster »

Offline sinjection

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2006, 08:02:13 pm »

Cage was a Defender for nearly a year.

Yes Hulkster. Thank you.

You're right of course. Cage was at one time, a member of the Defenders.

However, at the Defender's inception, there were no blacks on that team; or maybe there was and I'm just colorblind  :)

Later in their run, Alpha Flight also added a black member to it's team. I forget what the cute little girl's name was, but her twin sister was a mutant called "Goblyn" or something like that. I believe the two had some sort of psychic link that enabled the little human twin to communicate with her mutant sister and moderate her behavior.

I could be mistaken.

Offline mr. irrelevant

• Rebirth of the Irrelevant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2006, 09:27:17 pm »
I'd hate it if they'd call it the "Black" anything.  That would be so annoying. 
what the hell are you doing reading this?

Offline kitamu Re

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2006, 10:26:54 pm »
yeah I feel you on that. Iam not black but African, and if you wanna go deeper I am a nubian from the dinka and yoruba tribes.

Offline Open palm

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2006, 10:44:07 pm »
yeah I feel you on that. Iam not black but African, and if you wanna go deeper I am a nubian from the dinka and yoruba tribes.

Good for you, mon.  :)
Do you prefer a hero who will confirm your deepest fears? Or a hero who will inspire faith in humanity and goodness?

Offline sinjection

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2006, 06:19:02 am »
So it's like this.

Urban population centers in the U.S. and throughout the world, are being plagued by huge influxes of illegal, addictive narcotics and high-tech weapons of death. This is especially true in those urban areas populated by black people. Drug addiction and deaths related to the usage of the drugs as well as the extreme violence that ensues as a result of large, well-armed street gangs warring with one another over turf and such.

These events do not escape the attention of the citizens of Wakanda. For one Wakandan in particular, the tales of drug addiction and violence is so troubling to him, that he feels the powerful need to do something to help reverse and eliminate this scourge. The Wakandan is the son of the farmer M'Jumbak who was slain by agents of Baron Macabre in the classic "Panther's Rage" series (the name of M'Jumbak's son escapes me at the moment, but anyone with a copy of "Panther's Prey" handy can readily find out what it is).

A former drug addict himself, M'Jumbak's son decides to leave the relative utopia of Wakanda and travel to one of the afflicted areas to lend counsel and aid to those in desperate need. He speaks to his King T'Challa and his lovely Queen Ororo and informs him of his plans. With their royal blessing, the young Wakandan man makes his way to the U.S. and then, into the urban drug-infested dens of iniquity. To assist him in his task, T'Challa arranges for his dear friends Luke Cage and Sam Wilson (the Falcon), to look after the young man. Very soon, the young Wakandan's work begins to bear fruit. His successes bring him to the attention of the good, the bad, and the ugly. The "good", officer Kevin "Kasper" (I hate that nickname. It's silly.), Cole. The "bad", the drug gangs and most ominously, the huge entity behind the whole process of destruction that has wreaked havoc in the world's urban communities and the "ugly", Sgt. Tork. While the "good" and the "ugly" all laud the young Wakandan's efforts, the "bad" decides that he must be eliminated.

The young Wakandan is scheduled to be feted by the Governor, the Mayor and other leading citizens in recognition of his outstanding work in turning the drug-addicted into people who can once again believe in themselves and become constructive members of society. Threats against the young Wakandan's life have Cage, Falcon, Cole and Tork on high alert. Also present for the ceremony are Photon, Black Goliath and his wife Claire Temple. Photon and Black Goliath would be there in costume as emissaries of the superhero community both to show their appreciation and to provide any assistance to Falcon and Cage should an attempt be made on the young Wakandan's life. Claire would be there because of her involvement with the young Wakandan's "Save The Youth" movement. Cloak is there as well, but out of sight. He is just there to get a look at the young Wakandan who has done so much good for so many people.  All of this super-powered muscle prompts the true evil behind the scourge to reveal itself. It must attack with all of its might if it is to kill the young Wakandan and instill fear and despair into the hearts of its urban victims if it is to succeed in its agenda.

The young Wakandan finishes his speech and prepares to leave the dias. Suddenly, violent explosions rock the gathering. Chaos erupts. Cage moves to rescue people from falling debris. Goliath and Photon are occupied with much of the same. Cloak wants to help, but without Dagger to keep the darkness inside of him at bay, he dare not sweep those endangered into his cloak. The Falcon stays with the young Wakandan as long as he is able to do so, but more explosions and immediate crisis draws him away from his charge. Kasper Cole remains vigilant however and it proves to be very costly as it is at that time, the evil decides to make its move. Shouting their battle cry, armed men in serpentine costumes blast in from the perimeter of the crowd and repel in from above. They are the Sons Of The Serpent.

A cadre of Serpents move immediately toward the young Wakandan. Kasper Cole and other policemen move forward to intercept them, but they are quickly overcome. The brave Kasper Cole is tragically gunned down. You wanted a tragic event. here it is  :D Just as the heroes (Cloak has now entered the fray and the other heroes are aware of and thankful for his presence), begin to regain control of the situation and defeat some of the Serpents attempting to delay them, those Serpents making for the young Wakandan seize him and hustle him away.

Kasper Cole will live, but he will be paralyzed from the waist down for the remainder of his life. The good news for Kasper is that he and his family will get to move to Wakanda where they will live in the very lap of luxury  :) Gathered in a room of the Wakandan Palace...Cage, Falcon, Goliath, Photon and Cloak (now with Dagger at his side), are de-briefed by a concerned, but always composed and in command, Black Panther. He is flanked by his lovely and powerful wife Storm. It is decided that together, they will seek out the Sons of the Serpent, free the young Wakandan (the son of M'Jumbak), and destroy the evil plans of the Serpents.

The Mighty....er, team of black superheroes and one lovely white woman who is along to provide fighting assistance and lunch for Cloak if the need should arise....is born.

Huh? Huh?  :)

Offline Hulkster

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2006, 08:20:54 am »

Cage was a Defender for nearly a year.

Yes Hulkster. Thank you.

You're right of course. Cage was at one time, a member of the Defenders.

However, at the Defender's inception, there were no blacks on that team; or maybe there was and I'm just colorblind  :)

That's correct.  I think that the original team consisted solely of Hulk, Namor and Strange.  Additional members came later.