Author Topic: The Mighty Black Avengers.  (Read 48606 times)

Offline Hulkster

• View Profile
Re: The Mighty Black Avengers.
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2006, 08:27:35 am »
I don't think that the term "black" should be a part of the team's name and I don't think that it should be 100% black.  90% at the most.  Of course, history unfortunately shows that the book won't sell well. 

Offline bluezulu

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2006, 10:20:20 am »
so it comes down to three issues? 1) the team name 2) the team racial composition 3) how they get together

well as i said kind of sarcasticly before if they are made up of past or current avengers then i argue that they won't call themelves the black avengers but we would if not even indirectly when describing what group we were talking about. i think there are enough cool names to come up with a non the black ________ name.

the team i argue could and should be if not 100% black then  90% black. save the white members as supporting cast like jessica jones or jarvis or mr weatherby their butler :D.

we have all pointed out a number of cool ways they could get together. and it could be done in a way so that is does not come off as my fanboy comrads like to say "forced" ::)

if 5 heroes got together who were all white and male you all wouldnt think twice about it. some would even drop some duckets on it and say how they pwnz or rock. but i know i know us and about 30 other dudes would be the only ones who would buy a black team book. :'(

Offline sinjection

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2006, 11:04:58 am »

if 5 heroes got together who were all white and male you all wouldnt think twice about it. some would even drop some duckets on it and say how they pwnz or rock. but i know i know us and about 30 other dudes would be the only ones who would buy a black team book. :'(

Many fans (white fans) of Bruce Timm's Justice League were incensed that John Stewart was chosen to be the representing Green Lantern for the program and that Hawkgirl was chosen over Hawkman. Most of them wanted Hawkgirl gone and they wanted John Stewart replaced by Kyle Rayner. The opinion of many of those fans was if the creative team had wanted to introduce a black character onto the team, it should have been Steel. The Green Lantern is a far more powerful and compelling character than is Steel. Unfortunately, it seemed that most of those fanboys didn't want to see a black character wielding the power of a Green Lantern. When Stewart pressed his big, full lips to the comely, ruby lips of Shayera Hol in "Wild Cards"....well, many of them for damned sure didn't want to see that  :)

The fans of Timm's Justice League wouldn't have had problem one if the team had been entirely white. The Legion Of Superheroes animated show is set to air this fall. I've seen some of the promotions for the program, but I've yet to see a black Legion member. So where is the outcry against what at this date, appears to be an all-white Legion Of Superheroes cartoon set to air on the WB network in the fall....y'all?  :D
Reginald Hudlin's Black Panther IS THE Black Panther

Offline sinjection

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2006, 11:26:25 am »
I don't think that the term "black" should be a part of the team's name and I don't think that it should be 100% black.  90% at the most.  Of course, history unfortunately shows that the book won't sell well. 

I don't know. I'm sitting here thinking...again  :) ... and it occurs to me that Marvel has a publication titled "Daughters of the Dragon". Now at first blush, one might naturally assume that the title might allude to a kung-fu action and associate the dragon with the Asian culture. But when that person would look at the cover he or she would see two women - one black, the other white. There wouldn't be an Asian person in sight. Now I remember something vague about Colleen Wing supposedly being half-Japanese or something like that. The way she is drawn however, she looks like a red-headed caucasian female. The "larger comic book buying demographic" doesn't seem to have any problems with Iron Fist trumping Shang Chi as Marvel's premier kung fu master although the art of kung fu is Asian in origin and the first-tier Marvel kung fu character is a white man.

But even today....yes, even today, there are some people who have a negative reaction to a black male superhero being called the Black Panther.

Remember Black Lightning? Black Vulcan? Black Manta? Black Goliath? Black Mariah (from the early Luke Cage days  :)

Now everybody's going to be uptight about the word "black" in the name of a black character or the name of a group of black characters? I agree. If such a team is ever brought into existence, the word "black" shouldn't be the kneejerk choice. However, if the creators of the group happen to come up with a name in which the word "black" makes it absolutely perfect, then I say go with it.

Offline Francisco

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2006, 04:48:43 pm »
What about:

THE EBONY UNIT

Or

OBSIDIAN FORCE
Don't get fooled by the bombs that I get I'm still I'm still Saddam from Iraq.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2006, 05:39:37 pm »
i say we call the team BLACK

What do you guys think?

i think it is kinda hot.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline kitamu Re

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2006, 05:48:29 pm »
Kasper Cole will live, but he will be paralyzed from the waist down for the remainder of his life. The good news for Kasper is that he and his family will get to move to Wakanda where they will live in the very lap of luxury   Gathered in a room of the Wakandan Palace

I like this idea sinection, I REALLY LIKE THIS IDEA.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2006, 06:14:33 pm »
why is kasper paralyzed?

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Offline blkyoda

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2006, 06:20:26 pm »
Many fans (white fans) of Bruce Timm's Justice League were incensed that John Stewart was chosen to be the representing Green Lantern for the program and that Hawkgirl was chosen over Hawkman. Most of them wanted Hawkgirl gone and they wanted John Stewart replaced by Kyle Rayner. The opinion of many of those fans was if the creative team had wanted to introduce a black character onto the team, it should have been Steel. The Green Lantern is a far more powerful and compelling character than is Steel. Unfortunately, it seemed that most of those fanboys didn't want to see a black character wielding the power of a Green Lantern. When Stewart pressed his big, full lips to the comely, ruby lips of Shayera Hol in "Wild Cards"....well, many of them for damned sure didn't want to see that 

The fans of Timm's Justice League wouldn't have had problem one if the team had been entirely white. The Legion Of Superheroes animated show is set to air this fall. I've seen some of the promotions for the program, but I've yet to see a black Legion member. So where is the outcry against what at this date, appears to be an all-white Legion Of Superheroes cartoon set to air on the WB network in the fall....y'all? 

Yeah Sin but why should be base our moral values and character on the lowest common denominator? Remember, "the hater taught hate that's why we're gangbangin'" (Chuck D.)
Besides it depends on who you ask. John Stewart was basically the most popular character on Justice League by the time that show went off the air. He had more shows focused on HIM than almost any other character - PLUS you have to look at the age groups. When I was working with 4 and 6th graders a few summers ago, when JL was in it's first or second season as far as these kids knew Green Lantern was black. They didn't know anything else and it made perfect sense to them. There're always haters out there, but again, I'm just not into using a loud abrasive minority to impugn the majority. I think most people out there liked John Stewart as GL if they didn't he wouldn't have gotten so much airtime.

Offline Toya

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Indifferent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2006, 08:36:49 pm »
i say we call the team BLACK

What do you guys think?

i think it is kinda hot.

What is the significance of the title, BLACK?

Personally I like GREEN.
...Rassclaat.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2006, 08:39:12 pm »
that's just it.

what does BLACK signify?

Everyone's interpretation would/could be different.

well, it SOUNDS cool!
YEAH!

Offline Toya

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Indifferent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2006, 09:00:59 pm »
Oh ok.  :D
...Rassclaat.

Offline kitamu Re

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2006, 10:16:15 pm »
that's just it.

what does BLACK signify?

Yeah it is a 2 dimensional paradigm, Iam black you are white, not really grounded in reality since there is no skin tone that could scientifically called black. melanin is not black in color the darkest this energy molecule can become is a dark blue, but because of the color spectrum we see it as black. A 3rd dimensional paradigm shift in thought would focus on the facts of our collective consciousness as africans or people of soul, a common genetic ancestry. This goes all they way to the 9th dimension of thought which is the origin of all matter. So calling ourselves black in the 21st century is self-defeating. If people with less melanin want to call themselves white they have that right, doesn't make it FACTUAL but let them live in their delusional world.

Offline sinjection

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2006, 05:04:53 am »
Kasper Cole will live, but he will be paralyzed from the waist down for the remainder of his life. The good news for Kasper is that he and his family will get to move to Wakanda where they will live in the very lap of luxury   Gathered in a room of the Wakandan Palace

I like this idea sinection, I REALLY LIKE THIS IDEA.

Why thank you, kitamuRe  :) I rather enjoyed visualizing the entire tableau myself.

Offline sinjection

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2006, 05:21:46 am »
why is kasper paralyzed?

I'd considered having him killed, but thought better of it.

There are those who seem to believe that nothing short of a true tragedy would be reason enough for a group of super-powered vigilantes to consolidate their assets and form a super-hero team. It seems that in the case of a "black" superhero team, that tragedy would have to be pretty damned compelling. Oh, it's okay for white superheroes to form Champions, Inc. ....just because you know... But black people? Black people had better have some sort of super tragedy to justify their even looking at each other cross-eyed and greeting each other in pig latin  ;)  You know what some folks say, a group of 8 white men constitutes a business meeting. A group of 8 black men constitutes a street gang.

So, the initial impetus for the forming of the "Mighty .... ummmm.... team of superheroes with a greater degree of melanin content in their skin than the average superhero team", was the kidnapping of the young Wakandan and secondarily, the shooting and subsequent paralysis of one Kevin "Kasper" Cole. Having mused a little more on this story, I've decided that the one great tragedy that would cement the team together would be the eventual death of the young Wakandan. I consider him to be a more noble character than Cole, so his sacrifice would be greater felt.