Author Topic: The Mighty Black Avengers.  (Read 34077 times)

Offline bluezulu

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: The Mighty Black Avengers.
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2006, 10:48:15 am »
Those of that certain segment of the "demographic" might have gone for all-black singing groups like "New Edition" because I'm sure that many of them were fans of "New Edition's" imitators: New Kids on the Block, Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, etc. But when it comes to an all-black superhero group....now that's something else entirely.

my stomach churned with that thought. ughh new kids :P and those guys sold 100 mil in merchandise. they could not come within a mile of new edition who they were paterned for and you see the shape that group is in. but your point is well made. but my point is what should the fanboy comic fan care if the black avengers get together. they are cast offs the last one on the roster and the first one off. i bet cage does not make the cut after civil war. if that happens reg he should come to wakanda with his family as well. i bet jessica would have some great one liners while she is in wakanda. lol

Offline sinjection

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2006, 10:56:12 am »
Black Panther
Luke cage
Broder voodoo
Blade
War Machine
Photon
Storm

You know....for those overly concerned about the "all-black" composition of such a team, I suggest that there are 4 characters, any one of whom would be possibles for the team and who might ease your minds somewhat.

Mantis - the Vietnamese/French barmaid who is in truth, a very deadly martial artist possessed of great mental and psychological abilities - would be a nice addition to the team. Right now the character is being wasted in her "Celestial Madonna" limbo. Bring her out of that. She could teach Colleen Wing a thing or two about kung-fu fighting.

Shang-Chi - Master of Kung Fu.

Angela Del Toro - The true White Tiger.

Hector D'Acosta - Sunspot. Is he black? I couldn't ever tell if he was or not. If he wasn't one of the mutants depowered by M-Day, he'd be an interesting addition to the team.
Reginald Hudlin's Black Panther IS THE Black Panther

Offline HappyPants Panther

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2006, 11:02:48 am »
As I've said before, I'm not fond of the idea. Aside from being or atleast seeming exclusionary (Which is not cool), it seems forced. Groups based on race are unlike groups based on a common cause (X-men- the improvement of mutant/human relations), nationality (Alpha Flight-works for the canadian government), or a common history/"tragedy" (Fantastic Four-each member was a part of the same accident and were all friends prior to the accident), are held together by the weakest of bonds.

Compared to the aformentioned ties, race just doesn't stack up. Now if all the characters were black and found themselves in a group for other reasons, I could live with it. For instance say the survivors of the Tuskegee Experiment or their children formed a group that wouln't rest until it brought down the US govenrment-That would be great. And its easy to understand why their all black and all together (though race plays a part-only black men were chosen for the experiment [I think], their primary motive is revenge).

How would any of you feel about a group called "White Might"? *Waits for someone to dig up some obscure article about such a group*lol

Even if that is a legitimate problem, a common cause is easily settled by a storyline.  The team formed to deal with something that requires a completely black team, like the need to infiltrate an all-black organization.  Once that is dealt with, they decide to stay together.  OR Falcon decides to put together an all-black team to serve as role models in his community.  Or some idiot tries to attack Cage, while he's playing poker with Capt. Monica, BP, Falcon and Storm.  And suddenly we have a team.  And I'm sure a thousand other storylines would provide this common cause, if it is really needed.

I don't think any of the reasons you listed are good enough reasons to build a lasting team out of. Role models for the community? Just doesn't do it for me. Maybe because thats weaker than race. "Lets get together and be role models!"...nah...Or say after they complete their mission they decide, ahem:*Marvin Gaye*"Leeetsss, lets stay together..." Nah..

But like I said before, it could be done but I'd like to see something other than race make it happen. Something stronger. Maybe if they were all apart of the same tragedy or something...
Marvel has yet to change their Black Panther Bio page to reflect Hudlin's history. Yes! There's still hope.

Offline sinjection

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2006, 11:07:26 am »

my stomach churned with that thought. ughh new kids :P and those guys sold 100 mil in merchandise. they could not come within a mile of new edition who they were paterned for and you see the shape that group is in.

Well, you know why the New Kids did so well don't you b-zulu? Maurice Starr - the brother who founded New Edition - also founded the New Kids. Like the Jackson 5 years before, New Edition was a sensation in the white teenybopper demographic  :) What or "who" was the answer to the Jackson 5? The Osmond Brothers. The New Kids answered New Edition just as Elvis answered Fats Domino, Pat Boone answered Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis answered Chuck Berry, Vanilla Ice tried to answer Hammer  :D and so on and so forth. Benny Goodman was coronated as the King of Swing until Chick Webb proved that he was really only the "Prime Minister" of Swing  :D

But it doesn't seem to work that way in the reverse and especially in the realm of comic books. How many blacks were in Hawkeye's West Coast Avengers? I can't remember one. What if there was a black superhero team called the "Awesome Fawsome (Foursome) to answer Marvel's Fantastic Four? Do you think the Awesome Fawsome would realize the same success as has the Backstreet Boys, New Kids, Pat Boone (Pat Boone was getting rich singing Little Richard's hits while Little Richard was living hand-to-mouth).... and others?

Offline sinjection

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2006, 11:12:10 am »
As I've said before, I'm not fond of the idea. Aside from being or atleast seeming exclusionary (Which is not cool), it seems forced. Groups based on race are unlike groups based on a common cause (X-men- the improvement of mutant/human relations), nationality (Alpha Flight-works for the canadian government), or a common history/"tragedy" (Fantastic Four-each member was a part of the same accident and were all friends prior to the accident), are held together by the weakest of bonds.

Compared to the aformentioned ties, race just doesn't stack up. Now if all the characters were black and found themselves in a group for other reasons, I could live with it. For instance say the survivors of the Tuskegee Experiment or their children formed a group that wouln't rest until it brought down the US govenrment-That would be great. And its easy to understand why their all black and all together (though race plays a part-only black men were chosen for the experiment [I think], their primary motive is revenge).

How would any of you feel about a group called "White Might"? *Waits for someone to dig up some obscure article about such a group*lol

Even if that is a legitimate problem, a common cause is easily settled by a storyline.  The team formed to deal with something that requires a completely black team, like the need to infiltrate an all-black organization.  Once that is dealt with, they decide to stay together.  OR Falcon decides to put together an all-black team to serve as role models in his community.  Or some idiot tries to attack Cage, while he's playing poker with Capt. Monica, BP, Falcon and Storm.  And suddenly we have a team.  And I'm sure a thousand other storylines would provide this common cause, if it is really needed.

I don't think any of the reasons you listed are good enough reasons to build a lasting team out of. Role models for the community? Just doesn't do it for me. Maybe because thats weaker than race. "Lets get together and be role models!"...nah...Or say after they complete their mission they decide, ahem:*Marvin Gaye*"Leeetsss, lets stay together..." Nah..

But like I said before, it could be done but I'd like to see something other than race make it happen. Something stronger. Maybe if they were all apart of the same tragedy or something...

:)  You're a tough sell HPP.

Did you collect the Defenders publication?

You know, that group was not formed by any "tragedy". They were tricked into becoming a team by Loki...actually, Loki and Dormmamu(sp)? the demon with the lit matchstick head.

Now what's the better reason for forming a superhero team? Forming a team to serve as role models and give hope to those living in a beseiged community or forming a team because you were tricked into doing so?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 11:14:05 am by sinjection »

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2006, 11:12:57 am »
Darnit!
I was gonna post the Mighty Black Avengers thread!

grrr...

i'll read this later.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline bluezulu

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2006, 11:15:02 am »
can someone find the commision that set this all off back from hef 1.0?

Offline Pantherfan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2006, 11:38:18 am »
Add Kasper Cole to the team and it'll be complete.

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2006, 11:49:53 am »
How many blacks were in Hawkeye's West Coast Avengers?

Rhodey as Iron Man.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2006, 11:55:40 am »
How many blacks were in Hawkeye's West Coast Avengers?

Rhodey as Iron Man.

and eventually he rejoined as War Machine.. but the title got canceled shortly after..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline colin solan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2006, 12:00:22 pm »
Hector D'Acosta - Sunspot. Is he black? I couldn't ever tell if he was or not. If he wasn't one of the mutants depowered by M-Day, he'd be an interesting addition to the team.

Roberto DaCosta is Brazilian so I assume he is at least part black. As I recall, his mother was a white American. Last I knew he was running the X-Corporation.  I'm fairly certain he still has his powers, I think Dani Moonstar was the only one of the original New Mutants to get depowered. It'd be nice to see someone doing something with him.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2006, 12:02:46 pm »
this thread is the rebirth of my thread about "The Champions" ... let's create a black superhero team.

:)

great job!

and yes, you can write a thesis about this subject.

sinjection, you've been on point with EVERY comment.
good stuff man!

this book wont sell a million but if written properly and marketed thru black media outlets, it could become the new "ish."
ya feel me?

like B.I.G. said, "f*** tha world dont ask me for ***t, cuz every u want u gotta work HARD 4 it."

the cool people want this to become a reality.
even if it lasts for 12-24 issues as a test run, give it to us marvel.

i say marvel cuz i cant think of many brothers and sisters that are in the marvel Universe that would team up

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2006, 12:05:08 pm »
yes...add Kasper and let the book be cowritten by priest and hudlin.

that way we can have Political T'challa and Snap Wilson Falcon.

What about Battlestar?
Obviously, i wont be gettin a new Silver Sable and the wild pack anytime soon, so bring him into the fold so we can have him learning from Isiah Bradley.

;)

u like that, don't you?

Offline colin solan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2006, 12:23:04 pm »
What about Silhouette from New Warriors?? She was a cool character with a great backstory and interesting powers

Offline colin solan

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2006, 12:47:49 pm »

Does anyone else remember this alternate reality version of the Avengers from the New Warriors storyline where Sphinx ruled the Earth??