Author Topic: The Future of Black Panther and Storm?  (Read 38065 times)

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
The Future of Black Panther and Storm?
« on: December 11, 2006, 05:17:40 am »
Hey folks. I registered a week or so ago and have been lurking, so figured I'd finally make a sort of introductory post before responding to others ones. Maybe this way when I respond people won't be like "Who are you?" :D

Anyway, I've been a fan of BP for a while, loved the Priest run but oddly missed his one issue (#27 I think) that I believe first established BP and Storm kinda sorta had a thing in the teens, followed by the kiss in their adulthood. I JUST read up on this on Priest's site, and it was awesome, I'll have to get it.

But what I'm getting at is I like the idea of BP and Storm together, and Hudlin seems to be doing a GREAT job of representing them both. He's definately given them both the respect to their characters and personalities they deserve, and they seem to strengthen each other. I know we'll never be able to pinpoint why exactly some fanboys don't like it; we can guess forever but since these fanboys aren't a hive mind we'll never truly know. But its kinda funny its some of them seem to think she belong with Forge or Wolverine over her, where in both cases she would be treated as secondary instead of primary with BP, yet act like it would be the other way around. My favorite quote with this ling of thing was something along the lines of expecting Storm to be cooking Wakandan grits in front of a vibranian stove or something.

Which brings me to the point of this post: does anyone know what will happen to Black Panther and Storm once Hudlin leaves? I hope he stays on for decades, but in the comics biz its inevitable. Fanboys aside I have no idea how Quasada feels about the pairing and if he'll let it stand once Mr. H leaves. I would hope so but you never know.
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

Offline sinjection

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of Black Panther and Storm?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 05:39:16 am »
Most of us saw you when you walked through the door, friend  :)

The following is an excerpt from reply #103 of Jenn's thread.... ??? Blast my old age!!! --- well, I shouldn't fault my age, I should place blame where it lies: my awful memory. I've had that memory problem since I was just a young whip.  I've forgotten the title of Jenn's very excellent thread. I'm sorry Jenn  :D  Anyway, this is an excerpt from comments I contributed to that thread:

[Having seen the total "right-ness" between T'Challa and Ororo, viewing those illustrations of Forge with his arms and hands all over Ororo is enough to induce violent vomiting. I'd like to welcome the newest member to the HEF...I believe the name is "BPStorm4ever". The name is well-chosen and expresses my sentiments exactly for any RoLo, RoFo or mofo  , to see.]

And so again, let me be among the first to extend to you a very hearty welcome and wish for you a very enjoyable, entertaining and enlightening stay. You're among friends here  ;)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 05:42:04 am by sinjection »
Reginald Hudlin's Black Panther IS THE Black Panther

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 06:25:42 am »
When Reggie leaves? It's almost unpredictable, especially without knowing which writers may be lined up. However, one thing i the royal couple's favour is that Reggie's storylines have the full support of Marvel editorial, so there may be a few high-ups who wouldn't want a new writer to do a "It was all a dream / clone / someone punched reality" storyline as soon as they took over.

And welcome! I, also, noticed your commendable name hanging in the 'most recent member box'. ;D

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Jenn

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 07:11:53 am »
does anyone know what will happen to Black Panther and Storm once Hudlin leaves? I hope he stays on for decades, but in the comics biz its inevitable.

The Divorce of the Century, I'm sure.

Offline BlackRodimus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 08:57:36 am »
Most of us saw you when you walked through the door, friend  :)

The following is an excerpt from reply #103 of Jenn's thread.... ??? Blast my old age!!! --- well, I shouldn't fault my age, I should place blame where it lies: my awful memory. I've had that memory problem since I was just a young whip.  I've forgotten the title of Jenn's very excellent thread. I'm sorry Jenn  :D  Anyway, this is an excerpt from comments I contributed to that thread:

[Having seen the total "right-ness" between T'Challa and Ororo, viewing those illustrations of Forge with his arms and hands all over Ororo is enough to induce violent vomiting. I'd like to welcome the newest member to the HEF...I believe the name is "BPStorm4ever". The name is well-chosen and expresses my sentiments exactly for any RoLo, RoFo or mofo  , to see.]

Ha! Cool. I'll have to find that thread and respond in it. :)

And so again, let me be among the first to extend to you a very hearty welcome and wish for you a very enjoyable, entertaining and enlightening stay. You're among friends here  ;).]

Emphasize mine, cause...wow, I've seen first hand fanboys acting like, well, internet goon squads going after folks who even halfway like this union. But it is appreciated and I see that, thanks.

Offline BlackRodimus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 09:03:50 am »
When Reggie leaves? It's almost unpredictable, especially without knowing which writers may be lined up. However, one thing i the royal couple's favour is that Reggie's storylines have the full support of Marvel editorial, so there may be a few high-ups who wouldn't want a new writer to do a "It was all a dream / clone / someone punched reality" storyline as soon as they took over.

lol O why did DC do that with Superboy Prime. That's gonna be a joke for many years to come...

Anyway, I was hoping they'd have the full support of editorial like you said, after all it wouldn't be happening without their permission/blessing, but I'm not sure how sales are doing. I know Civil War has given it a spike, but I really hope Marvel is with this through thick and thin. I think if they stick to it it'll pay off in the long run.

And welcome! I, also, noticed your commendable name hanging in the 'most recent member box'. ;D

Thanks. What's funny is that its the first thing that came to mind when I registered here. THE FIRST THING. I really like the idea of this union, but the idea would be nothing without a good writer bringing it to fruition. Reginald Hudlin has done that in spade. I read a lot of writers I like, but he continually impresses me with how he's writing Storm and Black Panther. Someone elsewhere put it best: he's basically treating them as an entity unto themselves, not a wife deferring to her husband or vice versa. And he's making them converse and act like a married couple, and their dialogue is how I would expect a king and queen to talk. Sorry, just really enjoying it.

And I swear I must have read that arc with Blade in it everyday for a month straight. I loved how he was drawn just like Wesley Snipes.  8)

Offline bluezulu

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 09:04:25 am »
I will chime in with everyone else in welcome you to the hef forums. I truly believe that Qusada wants a renaissance with Marvel and with the coming of McDuffie to the f/f we will move beyond the one black writer and one black book mentality. Parker and Watson have been married forever now and the richards have been together for a while as well so it's conceivable to give this couple a few years together. But just as the coming of these two was a good story I wouldn't mind reading and being a part of a break up if it indeed happens. Such things are a part of the real world which marvel has always tried to resemble. Now that we are where we are at however I hope Marvel stick to their guns and keep this thing going.

Offline BlackRodimus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 09:06:16 am »
does anyone know what will happen to Black Panther and Storm once Hudlin leaves? I hope he stays on for decades, but in the comics biz its inevitable.

The Divorce of the Century, I'm sure.

That would be my worse fear realized. I like Storm better as queen of Wakanda and with a man who truly loves, respects, and worships her, and she would kinda sort maybe get that with Forge. Not really with Wolverine since he's REALLY in love with Jean Grey.  ::) That, and..well, I'm sorry, but while I loved her being one of the commanders of the X-Men teams, I believe she could potentially get more done as queen of Wakanda. But that's just me. Whether that will ever be realized, I don't know.

Offline BlackRodimus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 09:11:24 am »
I will chime in with everyone else in welcome you to the hef forums. I truly believe that Qusada wants a renaissance with Marvel and with the coming of McDuffie to the f/f we will move beyond the one black writer and one black book mentality. Parker and Watson have been married forever now and the richards have been together for a while as well so it's conceivable to give this couple a few years together. But just as the coming of these two was a good story I wouldn't mind reading and being a part of a break up if it indeed happens. Such things are a part of the real world which marvel has always tried to resemble. Now that we are where we are at however I hope Marvel stick to their guns and keep this thing going.

I hear you (didn't know about McDuffie, that's gonna be cool). I'm just a worry wart, especially when it comes to things I'm really enjoying getting yanked away (best example: the Angel TV series, though some would say it ended on a high, and I do, technically, agree).

As for the breakup...while you have a point, there aren't many black couples that are...ideals, I guess you could say. I mean, that's pretty much it. If Peter and Mary Jane broke up, for instance, we'd still have Reed and Sue, we'd still have Lois and Clark, heck even Wally and Linda. I'm sure there's more, but I'm talking about comics in general, not just Marvel or DC. If BP and Storm break up, that's gonna be it for a black couple for a long long time I fear.

But this is all guesswork, and like I said, I'm a worrywart. It could never happen, and if it does it could be handled in a great manner.

Jenn

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 10:27:47 am »
Not really with Wolverine since he's REALLY in love with Jean Grey.  ::)

How anyone could love Storm being Jean Grey's sloppy seconds, I'll never know.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 10:31:48 am »
welcome to the family!
:)

glad u didn't flame the place.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline PantherNotCarolina

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 10:56:56 am »
I'm guessing some white writer's going to come in and have them split up for some contrived reason!  Probably have Storm go back to being X-Men's fodder and Black Panther running through forrests like a friggin' savage!  I'm playing(or maybe I'm not...)

I don't get why BP and Storm can't be a Reed and Sue couple and stay together forever.  Storm is not a damn supporting character.  She's a queen now.  She can now do more for her people than she could with the X-Men.  Prof. Xavier said this his damn self. 

Offline BlackRodimus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 11:17:48 am »
I don't get why BP and Storm can't be a Reed and Sue couple and stay together forever. 

And

Storm is not a damn supporting character.  She's a queen now.  She can now do more for her people than she could with the X-Men.  Prof. Xavier said this his damn self. 

All I've been saying. She's not a supporting character, or some woman in waiting for a fanfic pairing either.
You said it a lot better and a lot simpler than I could have.  8)

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 03:25:38 am »
Anyway, I was hoping they'd have the full support of editorial like you said, after all it wouldn't be happening without their permission/blessing, but I'm not sure how sales are doing. I know Civil War has given it a spike, but I really hope Marvel is with this through thick and thin. I think if they stick to it it'll pay off in the long run.
Well, we've got a few people on here that furnish us with sales numbers on a pretty regular basis, so we should know pretty soon. Despite the hating, it seems to stay at around or just above the levels the Priest run was getting at the same point, which may not be the greatest news, but reviews and such seem to be improving all the time, and the sheer rage caused by BP/Storm has maybe fallen a little, so it could still keep going.
I read a lot of writers I like, but he continually impresses me with how he's writing Storm and Black Panther. Someone elsewhere put it best: he's basically treating them as an entity unto themselves, not a wife deferring to her husband or vice versa. And he's making them converse and act like a married couple, and their dialogue is how I would expect a king and queen to talk. Sorry, just really enjoying it.
Yeah, and I liked their teamwork (with the Dora Milajae) and discussion in the latest issue, with the crowd, the Sentinel and IM. With his 2 other 'kinda-wives' they make a really weird and formidable family unit. Like others have said, I'm looking forward to Shuri being part of this as well.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 05:29:19 am »
1. BP and Storm have a very realistic relationship.  I smile every time and their sly comments or cute interactions.
MORE STORM BOOTY PLease!!

2. Do the anti-panther ppl want a whole issue focused around Storm?  (hmm... not a bad idea... we can see how she gets along with her mother, the dora milaje and an invasion by Princess Zarda...hahaahha... cool be a good issue.  I see a good fun issue.)
But seriously, can BP and Storm get thru Civil War before they nut up.  I mean, dayam... their honeymoon tour was cut short.. let these folx work on the kinks of their unique relationship.  once teh civil war is over, we can see her do her queenly duties.
ya feel me?

3. Storm can't be an x-man becuz she isn't registered and at this rate, i dont think she will.  This shoot first, ask questions later administration wont give her a 2nd chance now.

4. I love Hudlin's BP.  Keep it up.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!