Author Topic: The Future of Black Panther and Storm?  (Read 39021 times)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of Black Panther and Storm?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2006, 07:55:00 am »
Not really with Wolverine since he's REALLY in love with Jean Grey.  ::)

How anyone could love Storm being Jean Grey's sloppy seconds, I'll never know.

But why wolverine/storm?  The main answer is Incest.  X-comics suffer from the 90210 mentality, where eventually everyone ends up dating everyone from the show.  Just wait, if Storm remained in the X-men, sooner or later she and Colossus would have gotten around to each other.   To this board, it's a good thing that the Editor in Chief didn't like it, because the writers did, but it was nixed by J. Q. or the previous editor.  I don't remember which.  If that editor didn't step in, who knows what would have happened.

(I don't remember what I thought about Storm/Wolvie relationship, but I think I put it down as a relationship of proximity, not "chemistry".  But it couldn't last.  Wolvie is too much of a player, except with Mariko.)

But I think the biggest barrier to BP and STorm's long term relationship is the the marketing department.  As long as Storm is considered X-Men property, and BP is non-X-men/mutant property, there is always the potential that the marketing dept will pull strings.  This is where the FF could be the best thing for Storm.  If Storm could be sucessfully moved to non-mutant side of Marvel, then the marriage has a better chance of sucess. (or BP joins the mutant side of things.)
Actually, Storm on the AVengers with BP would probably be the best option.  if Storm could be identified as an Avenger First, it would secure things better.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 12:01:21 pm by KIP LEWIS »

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2006, 12:05:53 pm »
Just had a horrible thought...

Now, I don't know how much of the online community make up the people who read comics, whether its significant or not...but if sales are any indication, is it possible if Marvel wants to end this marriage to appease fans who want Storm backburned to hell in X-Men yet again...maybe divorce isn't what they had in mind...

Everytime I hear one of these complaints about Storm and BP, its coupled with intense hatred for Black Panther. Is it possible if Marvel ever wants to end the marriage, they'd end it by making Storm a widow? Its not a good time to be a black hero in comics these days, and maybe Marvel feels having just two (Falcon and Luke Cage) is enough? I bet these same people hating on this relationship would jump for joy and buy multiple copies of Black Panther buying it. Someone they hated would be dead, someone they love (probably the object of some wish fulfilment fantasies) would be free to date Wolverine/Forge/whomever not black, and she'd be, again, backburned in X-Men forever and ever amen.

*shudders*
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 12:07:39 pm by BPStorm4ever »
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

Jenn

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2006, 08:20:19 pm »
Panther has been around since 1966. Marvel's not going to listen to some snot-nosed white boys to THAT extent.

Offline BlackRodimus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2006, 08:43:02 pm »
Hope you're right, Jenn. Hope you're right. Just got a funny feeling is all.

lovecrafty

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2006, 01:28:43 am »
The people who want Wolverine/Storm are probably not BP readers, but readers of the X-Titles, and thus living in their own little myopic world.  X-Fans tend to be like that.  The people who are shouting for Storm/Forge are just stuck in the eighties.  I mean seriously, that's old news.

I think it's highly unlikely that anyone will split Storm and BP up.  The Wolverine/Storm pairing was very teneuous and hadn't really had time to "stick", and fans will get over it eventually (and seriously, if they tried to expand that out of whatever x-title it was going on in to the x-universe at large, Wolvie fans would hit the roof -- they'd never accept Wolverine settling down, he's just not the marriagable type).

It's more likely that Storm will simply dissappear from the X-universe, and will become a part of the Black Panther mythos, which could be considered a subset of the Avengers mythos or the Fantastic Four mythos (more the former, less the later).  She never really fit in with the rest of the x-universe -- the whole African goddess angle never really blended well with the more sci-fi tone of X-Men, and most writers never knew what to do with her, which lead to the impression that she lacks personality.  Or they did weird things like have her go punk (does anyone actually understand what the heck that was about?).

I haven't been reading BP, but I've seen a bunch of scans of the issues leading up to the wedding, and Hudlin's Storm finally doesn't seem like she's in the wrong comic.  It still seems a bit gimmicky (a longer engagement would have made it seem less like an attempt to boost sales), but it is a good pairing and has staying power.  I expect it will last for sometime, unless some later writer decides to kill Storm off to "motivate" BP (don't let John Byrne anywhere near the title!).

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2006, 01:46:02 am »
Hope you're right, Jenn. Hope you're right. Just got a funny feeling is all.
Try not to over-estimate the strength of online fandom. We tend to be the more committed minority, and not necessarily the people the companies pay attention to. Therefore, the majority of BP fans are not as deeply into it as the people on the HEF, and the majority of non-fans are nowhere near as rabid as the online haters. I hope this helps settle your nerves a bit.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2006, 01:48:46 am »
unless some later writer decides to kill Storm off to "motivate" BP (don't let John Byrne anywhere near the title!).
Christ, no! I'm picturing a cover with Man-Ape holding Storm by the throat (the 'Byrne-Hold'), while Panther lies unconscious at his feet. :P

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2006, 11:39:15 am »

Jenn

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2006, 12:32:17 pm »
BWAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2006, 01:18:53 pm »
It's more likely that Storm will simply dissappear from the X-universe, and will become a part of the Black Panther mythos, which could be considered a subset of the Avengers mythos or the Fantastic Four mythos (more the former, less the later).

See, I disagree.  If we could look 10 years into the future, we would see Storm as a member of the X-Men and the marriage as a footnote.  I don't necessarily want that but the majority of the public (through movies and cartoons) want Storm as an X-Man.  I kind believe this to be a temporary story.  Panther has never had a book for an extended period of time.  Priest's book eventually went away, and again, while I don't want it, this book will not last 10 years.  As soon as the book is canceled (if not sooner), Storm and BP will be get a divorce, and she'll be back on the X-Men.

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2006, 01:21:33 pm »
Many(white)readers seem more comfortable with black characters who act as if race does not matter (pre Hudlin Panther & Storm), and (black) writers who not "rub their noses" in so-called “racial guilt”. Many white readers just go crazy over stuff like that.

In American reality, colorblindness is not colorblindness; it's the world the way many whites see it, the way they want to see it, and they don't want to talk about race. They don't want race to be relevant, so they're going to act as though it isn't relevant, and when you keep telling them it is relevant, they're going to call you the racists. They're going to say you're playing the race card. They're going to call you the monster for making them confront the monstrosity that is racism in American society.

America is post-apartheid society, and I don't mean that as a time. It's not a temporal statement; it's a substantive description of who we are.

We are a society that has been structured from top to bottom by race. You don't get beyond that by deciding not to talk about it anymore. It will always come back; it will always reassert itself over and over again. Thank God Hudlin has the BALLS to bring up things that have been overlooked in comics.

With that, if Hudlin's writing is not someone's cup of tea, they should just move on.

Jenn

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2006, 01:26:15 pm »
Kristopher, please follow me to this candlelit room with the soundproof padded walls. Yes, right this way. Watch your step, now. This? Oh, I always greet new HEFfas buck-ass nekkid with a bottle of baby oil in my hand.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 01:28:15 pm by Jenn »

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2006, 02:41:50 pm »
The future of BP & Storm is also in the hands of a popular artist coming onto this book to make it a best seller...that is one ingredient that catapults any comic book to the top...great writing and equally great art by a known penciller/inker...someone like JRJR returning would boost sales signifigantly...or a Jim Lee or John Byrne or any popular name...this is one element that would ensure BP for a very long time to come. 

Offline BlackRodimus

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2006, 05:41:48 pm »
It's more likely that Storm will simply dissappear from the X-universe, and will become a part of the Black Panther mythos, which could be considered a subset of the Avengers mythos or the Fantastic Four mythos (more the former, less the later).

See, I disagree.  If we could look 10 years into the future, we would see Storm as a member of the X-Men and the marriage as a footnote.  I don't necessarily want that but the majority of the public (through movies and cartoons) want Storm as an X-Man.  I kind believe this to be a temporary story.  Panther has never had a book for an extended period of time.  Priest's book eventually went away, and again, while I don't want it, this book will not last 10 years.  As soon as the book is canceled (if not sooner), Storm and BP will be get a divorce, and she'll be back on the X-Men.

See, that's what I'm getting at, and part of my fears. Storm is never going anywhere, period. She'll never die or get killed off. Black Panther, on the other hand, he's the one who keeps getting his book cancelled. He's like Marvel's version of Aquaman in that respect. What if this is the last straw, and Marvel wants to try and build him up one more time, and if it fails this time (get cancelled), they'll end the marriage with Panther's death.

Also, if what Kristopher says is even half true, certain readers will never be comfortable with Black Panther, and I wonder and fear those certain readers outnumber the ones who love Black Panther, leading to his inevitable demise. Again, it has NOT been a good time to be a black male superhero lately, both in Marvel AND DC...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 05:43:25 pm by BPStorm4ever »

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2006, 06:16:36 pm »
Kristopher, please follow me to this candlelit room with the soundproof padded walls. Yes, right this way. Watch your step, now. This? Oh, I always greet new HEFfas buck-ass nekkid with a bottle of baby oil in my hand.
That's just Jenn's demented unique way of saying welcome.  Don't be skurred. 

That's a hell of a one-two posting on this thread.  Welcome aboard. 
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."