Author Topic: The Future of Black Panther and Storm?  (Read 39018 times)

Jenn

Re: The Future of Black Panther and Storm?
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2006, 07:24:29 pm »
See, that's what I'm getting at, and part of my fears. Storm is never going anywhere, period. She'll never die or get killed off. Black Panther, on the other hand, he's the one who keeps getting his book cancelled. He's like Marvel's version of Aquaman in that respect. What if this is the last straw, and Marvel wants to try and build him up one more time, and if it fails this time (get cancelled), they'll end the marriage with Panther's death.

Please. That's what the crackabrats want you to believe. Nobody was talking about Storm until now. Now they are. They kill off Storm's husband, and STORM will be the footnote. What did Marvel have planned for her until now? NOTHING. As long as Storm is the Queen of Wakanda, there is talk. T'Challa ain't dying no time soon. Remember, these same idiots swore that we weren't going to have a wedding either, but Storm is sho nuff the Queen of Wakanda, right? And hell, they JUST entered the Civil War. Our boy is going to be just fine.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 07:30:03 pm by Jenn »

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2006, 07:40:35 pm »
See, that's what I'm getting at, and part of my fears. Storm is never going anywhere, period. She'll never die or get killed off. Black Panther, on the other hand, he's the one who keeps getting his book cancelled. He's like Marvel's version of Aquaman in that respect. What if this is the last straw, and Marvel wants to try and build him up one more time, and if it fails this time (get cancelled), they'll end the marriage with Panther's death.

Please. That's what the fancrackas want you to believe. Nobody was talking about Storm until now. Now they are. They kill off Storm's husband, and STORM will be the footnote. What did Marvel have planned for her until now? NOTHING. As long as Storm is the Queen of Wakanda, there is talk. T'Challa ain't dying no time soon.

Again, hope you're right. But allow me to add to what you just said and switch from my gloom and doom:

Its been a while now (almost a decade? 7 years at least?) since DC vs Marvel. And who did they match up Wonder Woman with? That's right, Storm. DC's most recognizable female hero was matched up with Storm who is, arguably, Marvel's most recognizable female hero. And since it was, essentially, a fan wank (sorry, but it was, and I proudly admit I enjoyed the series), who did the fans pick to win? That's right, Storm. I'm not saying what's happening now was bourne out of that, I'm saying this is possibly a natural evolution for a character fans have always taken interest in. She CAN get more done as queen, or as a member of the FF, or as an Avenger. I'd even argue even if the marriage is ended somehow, she STILL don't return to the X-Men. She been ready for the big leauges for a long time now, and its about time someone realized it.

You say no one was talking about Storm. I'm sure Marvel noticed this and figured that wasn't right. Here's someone without too convoluted a backstory (Jean Grey), in movies, in video games...the popularity is there, it just needed that extra push. This is it. Marvel seems to believe in Storm, and believe in Black Panther (hence his book continuously getting restarted after cancellation), so I hope they keep that belief, that faith if his book ends and keep those two together.
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2006, 08:13:00 pm »
Please. That's what the crackabrats want you to believe. Nobody was talking about Storm until now. Now they are. They kill off Storm's husband, and STORM will be the footnote. What did Marvel have planned for her until now? NOTHING. As long as Storm is the Queen of Wakanda, there is talk. T'Challa ain't dying no time soon. Remember, these same idiots swore that we weren't going to have a wedding either, but Storm is sho nuff the Queen of Wakanda, right? And hell, they JUST entered the Civil War. Our boy is going to be just fine.

First off, I'd like to add one more time that I find the use of the word cracka (or in this case crackabrat) inappropriate because it makes me feel like an outsider on this board, a place where I'd like to feel welcome.

On to the point, I have to disagree that nobody was talking about Storm until now.  She's led the X-Men for 25 years and been featured in 3 movies, several cartoons, video games, and action figures.  To most people off the street and in the comic world, Storm is an x-man.  Now on this board, I understand why people think of her as BP's wife...most people here are BP fans.  But BP has never had the visibility that he is getting now, because they have married him to such a famous and successful character.  If the marriage were to end, she'd go back to be a successful member of the x-men, just as she has been for 30 years.  If BP is canceled, he'll be relegated to popping up in the Avengers now and then and around big events such as civil war.  I don't want that to be true, but judging by history, that would seem to be the case.

Jenn

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2006, 08:16:00 pm »
First off, I'd like to add one more time that I find the use of the word cracka (or in this case crackabrat) inappropriate because it makes me feel like an outsider on this board, a place where I'd like to feel welcome.

Here's someone without too convoluted a backstory (Jean Grey), in movies, in video games...the popularity is there, it just needed that extra push. This is it.

Exactly! And in doing so, they've put Storm away from the rest - that is, she has a love, but it's not Wolverine, Gambit, etc. She has a story, but it doesn't interfere with "the big sh*t". I don't see any reason why they would put an end to this - and if they did, it certainly wouldn't put Storm back on the front lines in the X-Men, which makes the crackabrats' crying to be so silly. As I said elsewhere, their crying really has very little to do with Storm herself.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 08:24:24 pm by Jenn »

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2006, 08:32:00 pm »

huh?

Jenn

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2006, 08:37:58 pm »
Why are you more insulted by me saying "crackabrats" then you were when Guido was calling so many of us "niggers" and "gorillas", newguy? You've been here since September, so you can't lie and say that you weren't here when that was all going down. Where was your sense of outrage then? Since you didn't give a sh*t that I was being called a n*gger bitch, tell me why I should give a sh*t that you don't like me saying 'crackabrat'. And then watch me NOT F*CKING CARE about what your answer is, no matter what it is. I've had my fill of white people this week, so don't think for two minutes that I give a good goddamn if you feel welcome here or not. The fact that you feel that you should feel welcome here 24/7 - a place that is overwhelmingly black - says a whole lot about you as it is. (DEAR GOD, WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE POOR WHITE PEOPLE!?!?!?)

Now, someone will come along shortly and pat your lily white ass (because you apparently need it) and I'll get a smack on the wrist for being mean to you, and that's just fine with me. But let me personally say, from me to you? SLAG OFF.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 08:42:17 pm by Jenn »

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2006, 08:49:44 pm »
Why are you more insulted by me saying "crackabrats" then you were when Guido was calling so many of us "niggers" and "gorillas", newguy? You've been here since September, so you can't lie and say that you weren't here when that was all going down. Where was your sense of outrage then?

He was obviously a jerk and I had read many posts that he had written.  There was no reasoning with him.  When people got pissed off, it only added more fuel to the fire.  I chose to ignore him because he seemed to be beyond redemption.  You, for the most part, seemed to be intelligent and rational.  So when I see you use derogatory terms, its something I feel I should question.  If “guido” pissed you off so much, then why wouldn’t you do your best to make sure others don’t feel the pain and/or anger you felt?

I've had my fill of white people this week, so don't think for two minutes that I give a good goddamn if you feel welcome here or not. The fact that you feel that you should feel welcome here 24/7 says a whole lot about you as it is. Now, someone will come along shortly and pat your lily white ass (because you apparently need it) and I'll get a smack on the wrist for being mean to you, and that's just fine with me. But SLAG OFF.

Apparently the part I wrote about being rational was wrong.  I've done nothing to you, though I am not sure what "white people" have done to you this week.  Is there a reason I shouldn't feel welcome here 24/7?  Does the fact that I am white make me an outsider here for some reason?  I thought this was a forum to share thoughts and ideas on BP, comics as a whole, and other topics.  But hell, what do I know, I'm just a cracka sitting on my lily white ass.  Silly of me for wanting the same respect I give you. 

Consider me slagged off.

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2006, 08:51:00 pm »
Can't we all just get along?

Jenn

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2006, 08:54:38 pm »
If “guido” pissed you off so much, then why wouldn’t you do your best to make sure others don’t feel the pain and/or anger you felt?

Why should I care if you do or don't? You sat on your ass and had nothing to say when it was all going down. Now I'm going to offer you the same courtesy.

Is there a reason I shouldn't feel welcome here 24/7?  Does the fact that I am white make me an outsider here for some reason?

Not an outsider, but certainly a minority. I'm not going to change what I say just because some white people have discovered HEF. f*ck y'all. Mind you, I'm only speaking for ME, and it would take someone like you to equate MY thoughts with the thoughts of everyone here.

I thought this was a forum to share thoughts and ideas on BP, comics as a whole, and other topics.  But hell, what do I know, I'm just a cracka sitting on my lily white ass.

No, you're a cracka (as you've labeled yourself; I'm just agreeing with you) who seems to want to feel like a special snowflake, when you had NOTHING to say when we were being assaulted. In other words, it's only a bad thing when YOU are the one offended.

Can't we all just get along?

We're getting along just fine. I'm no different this week than I was last week. If it makes the poor widdle white boy cry, then tough.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 08:56:46 pm by Jenn »

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2006, 04:33:09 am »
Kristopher, please follow me to this candlelit room with the soundproof padded walls. Yes, right this way. Watch your step, now. This? Oh, I always greet new HEFfas buck-ass nekkid with a bottle of baby oil in my hand.

:D :D :D :D

Offline sinjection

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2006, 05:40:27 am »
What the....???!!!! :o

Many(white)readers seem more comfortable with black characters who act as if race does not matter (pre Hudlin Panther & Storm), and (black) writers who not "rub their noses" in so-called “racial guilt”. Many white readers just go crazy over stuff like that.

In American reality, colorblindness is not colorblindness; it's the world the way many whites see it, the way they want to see it, and they don't want to talk about race. They don't want race to be relevant, so they're going to act as though it isn't relevant, and when you keep telling them it is relevant, they're going to call you the racists. They're going to say you're playing the race card. They're going to call you the monster for making them confront the monstrosity that is racism in American society.

America is post-apartheid society, and I don't mean that as a time. It's not a temporal statement; it's a substantive description of who we are.

We are a society that has been structured from top to bottom by race. You don't get beyond that by deciding not to talk about it anymore. It will always come back; it will always reassert itself over and over again. Thank God Hudlin has the BALLS to bring up things that have been overlooked in comics.

With that, if Hudlin's writing is not someone's cup of tea, they should just move on.

Outstanding!  Welcome, Kristopher!  :D

Many readers from the larger comicbook-buying demographic, a surprising number of black comic book readers, and many representing the "other" racial category seem to be more comfortable with black characters (especially), but hispanic and Asian characters also, who act as if race doesn't matter, a "Rainbow Coalition of Comfortable Readers", if you will.

Suggest that if the White Tiger character appears in an ongoing series, that the writer should introduce a male Puerto Rican character as her potential love interest rather than following the well-trodden road of pairing the beautiful ethnic/racial character with the closest available white male character - in the White Tigers' case, Daredevil - and just watch how many ways that "Rainbow Coalition of Comfortable Readers" can find to call you a racist. It seems there are many "comfortable readers" who believe that although her flesh is black, that Ororo is NOT in actuality, a black woman. She is instead, a hodepodge...a Calico Quilt of all humanity stitched in one body. It doesn't matter that the body (Ororo), emerged from the body of a black woman after having been planted there by her loving, black husband.

I bore our HEF mates now, but it bears repeating. Especially in light of this very excellent observation which I have tried to make many times, but not nearly as eloquently as you have done: In American reality, colorblindness is not colorblindness; it's the world the way many whites see it, the way they want to see it, and they don't want to talk about race. They don't want race to be relevant, so they're going to act as though it isn't relevant, and when you keep telling them it is relevant, they're going to call you the racists.

Years ago, during the height of the success of his television series "THE COSBY SHOW", Bill Cosby appeared on the Oprah Show to discuss the show and its success with Oprah and her studio audience. A well-meaning (and I have to think she was well-meaning), white lady remarked that when she watched Cosby's show that she "didn't see color". Apparently, her intention was to relate that when she saw the "Huxtable" family interacting with one another, she simply saw other "human beings". Cosby replied to the lady saying to her that when she or anyone else watched his show, that they HAD to see color. There simply wasn't any other way around it. The Huxtables were black people. It was a black family. The viewer had to see a black family. People need to get over this notion that the recognition of racial, ethnic, cultural and physical differences are bad things that divide us. "Colorblindness" is like the mother advising a child to close their eyes and hold their noses when taking medicine that they don't like.

Again, I enjoyed reading your post and look forward to reading more in the future.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 05:50:56 am by sinjection »
Reginald Hudlin's Black Panther IS THE Black Panther

Offline Pantherfan

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2006, 06:08:24 am »
To Chime in on this topic, nothing is set in stone. I mean, how long did Vision and Scarlet Witch stayed married? How about Quicksliver and Luna? Does anyone remember Bruce Banner and Betty Ross? I say as long as Joe Q is the Editor and Chief of A Tribe Called Marvel, the marriage between BP and Storm will have the full support. For now, let's enjoy it and not try to dwell too far into the future.

Offline mariah

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2006, 08:33:10 am »
Okay, just to give a quick fact, Daredevil isn't a love interest for White Tiger.  The Daredevil in the White Tiger mini is, in fact, Iron Fist, and she calls him Tio on several occasions.  Tio is Spanish word for Uncle.  Danny Rand is a very close member of her family, and has known her since she was a small child.  I really wish people would stop saying that he's a love interest for her. 

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2006, 09:18:40 am »
Okay, just to give a quick fact, Daredevil isn't a love interest for White Tiger.  The Daredevil in the White Tiger mini is, in fact, Iron Fist, and she calls him Tio on several occasions.  Tio is Spanish word for Uncle.  Danny Rand is a very close member of her family, and has known her since she was a small child.  I really wish people would stop saying that he's a love interest for her. 

Being Black with very strong African and Latin cultural roots and also being a lifelong adherent of the martial arts,I tried to purchase this mini,but my local comics shop kept telling me that they were sold out.I asked if they were getting more,but they told me that they probably weren't becasue the series isn't selling well and that the story is lame.That's a quote."The story is lame."

Is the story lame?
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline sinjection

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2006, 10:01:11 am »
Friends, some clarification.

To the best of my knowledge, I never said that Daredevil was the love interest of the White Tiger. I don't remember anyone else ever saying that Daredevil was the love interest of the White Tiger. I haven't (and will not), purchase any of the issues of this mini series because of what I've seen in previews and the like. So far, it doesn't look like a book I'd be interested in purchasing although, I very much like the White Tiger character herself.

Now, what I have said is that the writer of this character should not "take the easy way out" and pair her with an established white male superhero character or another civilian white male character created for that specific purpose. I believe that whoever writes a potential ongoing series for the character should create for her, a male interest who is Puerto Rican. I mentioned Daredevil because, other than Spider-Man, he seems to be constantly at the Tiger's side or following her around. I mentioned on the CBR, that I wasn't sure WHO Daredevil was at this time. When I suggested in another CBR thread - the Luke Cage ongoing rumor thread - that Danny Rand might still be playing Daredevil and as that might be the case, there would be no need to team Cage with Iron Fist, another poster informed me that Danny Rand had indeed returned to his Iron Fist persona. I have no particular interest in Daredevil or Iron Fist at this time, so I couldn't really care less what he's doing or who he is at this time. I simply believe that Cage would do well as a solo series without having to lean on Iron Fist.

Hector Ayala teamed with Daredevil and Spider-Man during his career as the White Tiger. In fact, I remember the first time Ayala and Spider-Man teamed up. There was first, the obligatory superhero vs superhero fight/ White Tiger vs Spider-Man that began at the ESU campus but eventually wound up in the neighborhoods the White Tiger called home. During that fight, it was Spider-Man who noticed the Puerto Rican and black residents of that neighborhood cheering on the Tiger just as youthful fans of his would do in areas of the city he was more familiar with. The Tiger even noticed this and taunted Spider-Man by telling him that he wasn't as bold and brash as he had been earlier now that he was facing the Tiger on his "home turf". It was shortly after that, the obligatory truce was established between the two heroes and they eventually apprehended the true culprit of the story. Ayala dated Gloria Grant, Peter Parker's black friend and ESU student. I feel that Del Toro should also date a non-white male, if her comicbook career ever reaches that point.

And let me tell you, these comic book romances can occur at the blink of an eyelash  :D I usually don't pick up anything X-Men related, but recently, I happened to pick up Uncanny X-Men #481. The character Rachel Grey has become romantically entangled with a Shi'ar warrior, simply because they shared a mind-melding incident and they are "in each other's head". Before the book was over, they were swapping terran and extra-terrestrial spit, neither knowing what the other's mouth had been doing previously or whether their tongues would be compatible  :D So, it is very likely that Angela Del Toro could be instantly swept away by any blue-eyed, blond-haired social worker, doctor, agent, etc...who she might happen to encounter. I feel that if that were to happen, it would be a shame.

On an entirely different note: I also picked up the latest issue of the EXILES. That group was part of an assemblage of other super-beings brought together to save the universe of that particular reality. One of the super-beings was practically the split-image of Space Ghost. The costume design was identical. Only some of the colors of the costume were altered to give the character a different appearance...which really wasn't that different afterall. The character was even wearing the famous Space Ghost Power Bands on his wrists  :D
Reginald Hudlin's Black Panther IS THE Black Panther