Author Topic: The Future of Black Panther and Storm?  (Read 38241 times)

Offline sinjection

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of Black Panther and Storm?
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2006, 10:27:41 am »
To Chime in on this topic, nothing is set in stone. I mean, how long did Vision and Scarlet Witch stayed married? How about Quicksliver and Luna? Does anyone remember Bruce Banner and Betty Ross? I say as long as Joe Q is the Editor and Chief of A Tribe Called Marvel, the marriage between BP and Storm will have the full support. For now, let's enjoy it and not try to dwell too far into the future.

I read in a recent WIZARD, that "cracks" are going to appear in the marriage of Black Bolt and Medusa during the "Silent War". At the CBR, there was a thread discussing Marvel marriages and why some of them are viewed with disfavor from some fans. I suggested that while the Storm/Panther marriage seems to catch flak from almost every quarter, no one seems to be overly-concerned with the incestuous marriage of Black Bolt to Medusa. A poster there basically told me that "Inhuman" incest is not to be compared with "human" incest  :D Because Medusa and Black Bolt were seen as being "inhuman", their incestuous relationship was overlooked. I replied that Black Bolt and Medusa look enough like normal humans to BE normal humans. The poster didn't seem to be overly impressed by that fact and then proceeded to tell me that the marriage of Black Bolt and Medusa has lasted a long time and puts most other Marvel marriages to shame.

I replied that the Panther's and Storm's marriage was still a "new thing" and given time, it could be something special in the Marvel universe. Now, it seems that the Marvel marriage that "puts other Marvel marriages to shame", is in for a rough time ahead. What a shame  ;)
Reginald Hudlin's Black Panther IS THE Black Panther

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2006, 10:33:47 am »
To Chime in on this topic, nothing is set in stone. I mean, how long did Vision and Scarlet Witch stayed married? How about Quicksliver and Luna? Does anyone remember Bruce Banner and Betty Ross? I say as long as Joe Q is the Editor and Chief of A Tribe Called Marvel, the marriage between BP and Storm will have the full support. For now, let's enjoy it and not try to dwell too far into the future.

I read in a recent WIZARD, that "cracks" are going to appear in the marriage of Black Bolt and Medusa during the "Silent War". At the CBR, there was a thread discussing Marvel marriages and why some of them are viewed with disfavor from some fans. I suggested that while the Storm/Panther marriage seems to catch flak from almost every quarter, no one seems to be overly-concerned with the incestuous marriage of Black Bolt to Medusa. A poster there basically told me that "Inhuman" incest is not to be compared with "human" incest  :D Because Medusa and Black Bolt were seen as being "inhuman", their incestuous relationship was overlooked. I replied that Black Bolt and Medusa look enough like normal humans to BE normal humans. The poster didn't seem to be overly impressed by that fact and then proceeded to tell me that the marriage of Black Bolt and Medusa has lasted a long time and puts most other Marvel marriages to shame.

I replied that the Panther's and Storm's marriage was still a "new thing" and given time, it could be something special in the Marvel universe. Now, it seems that the Marvel marriage that "puts other Marvel marriages to shame", is in for a rough time ahead. What a shame  ;)

It would be funny if they broke up cause Black Bolt keeps hogging the phone...
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

Offline sinjection

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2006, 10:37:12 am »

Or, because Medusa doesn't like it when Black Bolt whispers "sweet nothings" into her ear. Everytime he whispers, "I love you", it's like a nuclear holocaust happening between her ears.
Reginald Hudlin's Black Panther IS THE Black Panther

Offline BlackRodimus

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2006, 10:40:11 am »

Or, because Medusa doesn't like it when Black Bolt whispers "sweet nothings" into her ear. Everytime he whispers, "I love you", it's like a nuclear holocaust happening between her ears.

"...And he has bad breath!"

Offline mariah

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2006, 10:49:53 am »

Being Black with very strong African and Latin cultural roots and also being a lifelong adherent of the martial arts,I tried to purchase this mini,but my local comics shop kept telling me that they were sold out.I asked if they were getting more,but they told me that they probably weren't becasue the series isn't selling well and that the story is lame.That's a quote."The story is lame."

Is the story lame?
It's a very good read.  Very feminist, and more in touch with how a real woman would be portrayed if there were actual super heroes.  It's getting flack from many men, because it doesn't ooze sexuality.  Her breasts and butt aren't all in your face.  Her costume isn't overtly sexual, and she kicks a LOT of male butt.

And I was just stating a fact of the book.  I thought I saw someone write that over in the 'Real black love' thread, asking why she had to be paired up with Daredevil instead of a Puerto Rican love interest.  She isn't attracted to Matt Murdock, she has respect for him.  She stood up to her former FBI director who fired her because she believed in what Matt was doing in his neighborhood.  

But on the topic of interracial romances, I see things a little differently.  I dont' care who someone is romantically linked to, as long as it is written well.  If you love someone for who they are, the color of one's skin should never be a issue, love should be color blind.  Ask my parents who have been married for almost 30 years, and have had personal and social issues caused by this, but have weathered the storm beautifully.  They are more in love today than they were 28 years ago.

Offline mariah

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2006, 10:52:03 am »

"...And he has bad breath!"
'
Ha!  I love it!

Offline BlackRodimus

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2006, 10:54:57 am »
I've always had problems with the phrase "color blind" when it comes to race and interracial relationship. I get the idea, but the wording seems to suggest that there's something wrong with whatever race you're talking about or dating, you're just being "blind" to it to enjoy that person. I think you SHOULD see race, just don't see it as something bad or awful. its a part of who you are or who the person is, so why pretend you don't see it? Just put it all into perspective. Every race has good and bad in their history, its nothing to be proud or ashamed of, it simply is and should be accepted. Just saying.

Jenn

« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2006, 10:58:22 am »
"Colorblind" is a nice way of saying "I don't want to learn anything about you that makes me have to learn about, respect and acknowledge our differences, so let's just pretend they don't exist, okay?"

Offline mariah

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2006, 11:00:08 am »
I've always had problems with the phrase "color blind" when it comes to race and interracial relationship. I get the idea, but the wording seems to suggest that there's something wrong with whatever race you're talking about or dating, you're just being "blind" to it to enjoy that person. I think you SHOULD see race, just don't see it as something bad or awful. its a part of who you are or who the person is, so why pretend you don't see it? Just put it all into perspective. Every race has good and bad in their history, its nothing to be proud or ashamed of, it simply is and should be accepted. Just saying.
Well, I'm a skittles kind of girl.  I dont' care what race you are, as long as you're good and stay faithful to me, that's all that should matter.  I'm not going to pick and choose who I fall in love with by the color of their skin.  

Offline BlackRodimus

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2006, 11:01:13 am »
"Colorblind" is a nice way of saying "I don't want to learn anything about you that makes me have to learn about, respect and acknowledge our differences, so let's just pretend they don't exist, okay?"

Basically. I think we should have a national holiday, and recognize that day for years to come, where we RETIRE that word/phrase once and for all. And, well, hope something new doesn't pop up in its place. Pastel impaired or something.

Offline mariah

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2006, 11:02:50 am »
Being Black, White and Puerto Rican, you have to learn alot about my differences to get with me.  Should I pick and choose what aspects from my ancestors I want to show?  Like how I enjoy flautas and black eyed peas?  How my dad loves Alice Cooper while my mom loves Aretha and Nina Simone?

EDIT:I think you should focus on what you have in common more than what sets you apart.  Isn't love the union of two kindred spirits becoming one?  That's how I view it. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 11:12:10 am by mariah »

Offline BlackRodimus

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2006, 11:06:12 am »
Well, I'm a skittles kind of girl.  I dont' care what race you are, as long as you're good and stay faithful to me, that's all that should matter.  I'm not going to pick and choose who I fall in love with by the color of their skin.  

No one's saying you should, I don't think. Its just when that phrase pops up when someone's in an interracial relationship, it seems to be like saying "I normally have problems/don't like/negative feelings with black people (for instance), I'm just gonna turn a blind eye to those emotions for you." Which...solves nothing in the long run. Race shouldn't matter when choosing someone, true, but it WILL matter as far as getting to know someone that you choose. And again that's not a bad thing, just something that shouldn't be ignored or swept under the rug.

Offline mariah

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2006, 11:08:45 am »

No one's saying you should, I don't think. Its just when that phrase pops up when someone's in an interracial relationship, it seems to be like saying "I normally have problems/don't like/negative feelings with black people (for instance), I'm just gonna turn a blind eye to those emotions for you." Which...solves nothing in the long run. Race shouldn't matter when choosing someone, true, but it WILL matter as far as getting to know someone that you choose. And again that's not a bad thing, just something that shouldn't be ignored or swept under the rug.
I understand what you're saying, but it seems that a lot of people on here see an interracial relationship as a bad thing, and as a child of an interracial couple it kinda hurts that people still feel this way.

Jenn

« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2006, 11:12:52 am »
Being Black, White and Puerto Rican

Honey, we know. You've gone out of your way to jump up and down and wave your arms and tell us all that you're not like the rest of us "regular" Negroes (which makes you just like a good deal of HEFfas). I don't give a damn if your father is human and your mother is a Ruto - I still ain't going for colorblindness. Don't like it? Deal.

Should I pick and choose what aspects from my ancestors I want to show?  Like how I enjoy flautas and black eyed peas?  How my dad loves Alice Cooper while my mom loves Aretha and Nina Simone?

I hate to break this to you, but I love Alice AND Aretha, and I'm as black as Richard Roundtree in "Shaft in Africa".

I understand what you're saying, but it seems that a lot of people on here see an interracial relationship as a bad thing, and as a child of an interracial couple it kinda hurts that people still feel this way.

Ain't nobody here said anything remotely CLOSE to that here and you know it. My GOD, what the f**k is up with people demanding special treatment this week!?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 11:16:02 am by Jenn »

Offline mariah

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2006, 11:18:49 am »
Being Black, White and Puerto Rican

Honey, we know. You've gone out of your way to jump up and down and wave your arms and tell us all that you're not like the rest of us "regular" Negroes.

Should I pick and choose what aspects from my ancestors I want to show?  Like how I enjoy flautas and black eyed peas?  How my dad loves Alice Cooper while my mom loves Aretha and Nina Simone?

I hate to break this to you, but I love Alice AND Aretha, and I'm as black as Richard Roundtree in "Shaft in Africa".
Well I'm so happy for you.  If they were all like you, I wouldn't want to be like them 'regular negroes.'