Author Topic: The Future of Black Panther and Storm?  (Read 38227 times)

Offline sinjection

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of Black Panther and Storm?
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2006, 07:33:56 pm »
And so another thread hijack begins....

:D

I feel like the hijacker holding the gun to the pilot's head  :D

My apologies, HEF mates. My comments about interracial love relationships in comic books may have been the catalyst for this current catastrophe. And our sister, Jenn is getting a great deal of "exercise" these days - not that she isn't able to handle it with ease, mind you. But it's Christmastime. We should all try to enjoy each other's company in the spirit of the Season...or not  :D But it would be nice if we could. I know Wise Son is one who might agree with me.

We have read all year long, how some anti-Hudlin/anti-Panther/anti-Storm&Panther types have been saying the marriage was just a "stunt" and that the only thing Storm has in common with the Panther is black skin. Of course, we know these are the words of people who are usually resentful, embittered and ignorant, but we have tried to reason with such people regardless. Seeing as how so many "non-fans" seemed to suggest and resent the fact that two Marvel characters were married simply because they both happened to be black, I cited those Marvel couples who were white and interracial. These situations have been largely ignored by comparison. Because I have suggested that Marvel might benefit from having more high profile "same race" relationships, some have called me a racist  :) This is not true.

Here is what I wrote on Jenn's "Black Love" thread. The same quote or one very similar to it, appears at the CBR: I've noticed that on the CBR board as well. I don't believe I've ever stated that I was against interracial couples. In fact, I distinctly remember posting that I was not against interracial relationships as long as those relationships were loving and respectful. The same "quacking ducks" who accuse you of being racist because you happen to appreciate what a black comic book writer is doing, have twice now, questioned if I was that writer because I too support what he is doing, and have been accused of being a racist 

I usually refrain from talking about myself...mainly, because I'm SUCH a boring fellow. But I think now is the time to put those who have called me a racist because of my opinion of comic book love relationships to rest. I am part of a family that is extremely multi-racial. If I couldn't stand interracial relationships, I couldn't live in this family. I have dated interracially many times. My siblings and cousins have dated interracially. I have family members who could move to Forsythe County, Georgia and live there without incident. It wouldn't be until those folks in Forsythe County began to backtrack along their family tree that the problems might start..."Waitaminnit, boy. Just wait one doggone minnit! Where'd all these nigras come from?" Those family members might have to move out of Forsythe County if that ever happened.

I am a man. I enjoy women. I am a black man and though I have dated interracially, my preference is for black women - nothing I have to work at. It comes naturally. My opinion on comic book relations stands as stated.

Peace To All and To All, A Good Night  ;)
Reginald Hudlin's Black Panther IS THE Black Panther

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2006, 06:14:52 am »
We have read all year long, how some anti-Hudlin/anti-Panther/anti-Storm&Panther types have been saying the marriage was just a "stunt" and that the only thing Storm has in common with the Panther is black skin.

Remember that those aren't mutually exclusive.  Personally, I think its a stunt but that doesn't mean I am anti-Hudlin/anti-Panther/anti-Storm&Panther.

Offline sinjection

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2006, 06:39:45 am »
I think that BP becoming the Panther God or an avatar thereof would be quite plausible.One of our brilliant HEFfers..Wise,or Curtis or Vic or somebody,sorry I don't recall whom it was...pointed out that there was some linkage between THE PANTHER GOD and BAST back in the day,and BAST had some linkage with or maybe was the Goddess that Storm's line are linked to.So,that means that BP and STORM could have been divinely paired by their gods,whom are the male and female aspects of the same entity...

I believe the HEFfer in question is Open Palm.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2006, 06:44:32 am »
I think that BP becoming the Panther God or an avatar thereof would be quite plausible.One of our brilliant HEFfers..Wise,or Curtis or Vic or somebody,sorry I don't recall whom it was...pointed out that there was some linkage between THE PANTHER GOD and BAST back in the day,and BAST had some linkage with or maybe was the Goddess that Storm's line are linked to.So,that means that BP and STORM could have been divinely paired by their gods,whom are the male and female aspects of the same entity...

I know it wasn't me.  I'm just happy SI thought it might be.  :D
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline sinjection

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2006, 06:46:06 am »

I know it wasn't me.  I'm just happy SI thought it might be.  :D

I noticed supreme only mentioned the smart and SANE people. So, I know it couldn't have been moi  ;)

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2006, 07:20:25 am »
Here's my take: What you have to understand is that INTERNET FLACK DONT COUNT. Really. If it did Priest would still be writing this book and it would be at #100 about now.  Priest was the darling of the internet fans. Book got cancelled due to low sales(It wasnt me, I was actullay buying it).

Internet fans hated Avengers Disassembled and look how much money that made Marvel. Old School Fan hate Civil War. But its selling. You could make a strong case for doing the polar opposite of what internet fans wanted as a SUREFIRE WAY of making big sales bucks.

Marvel's got no reason to listen its fans on the matter of Storm/Panther or anything else.  

Moreover outside of Chris Clairmont who has propertary interest in the character(after all, he made her popular it the first place), NOBODY at the X-Office gives a rat's ass about Storm. In the 90's it was all about fan icon Jeny Grey, Romantic Foil Rogue and Psylocke the Asian combat stripper.

Even at this point that hasnt changed. If it was up to me Storm would be starring solo in her own comic or leading the XSE in its own book. Storm is Marvel's closest equivalent to Wonder Woman. She was created to be the most powerful member of her team (Jean Grey and Sue Storm started out as wimps). But when Nightcrawler, JUBILEE AND WHITE QUEEN got ongoing series before she did, the handwriting was on the wall.

And even if Storm were to go back to the X-Men, what would she do? What role would she play? Team Sexpot? That's White Queen. Team Leader? It's been done and we still have Cyclops for that.  Hardened Vet? That's Rouge's job these days. Den Mom? Well there's always that but considering Kitty Pride=Buffy these days she's not even useful as that.

The X-staff had Storm wandering around Africa because they couldn't think of anything else to do with her. Despite with the internet fans seem to thing B.P./Storm is as close as this character will ever get to getting her own series.

Why the internet fans willfully ignore this fact is open to debate (on another thread, hopefully :D), but barring Clairmont's return to an major X-book (wont happen, he doesn't sell books like he used to) I'd say Storm and Black Panther are pretty secure.

Jenn

« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2006, 07:30:35 am »
The X-staff had Storm wandering around Africa because they couldn't think of anything else to do with her. Despite with the internet fans seem to thing B.P./Storm is as close as this character will ever get to getting her own series.

And even if she did, the fans wouldn't buy it. If Storm is so popular, why have ALL of her minis done so poorly in sales? I think the fist one may have had decent sales, but even *I* didn't buy "Ororo: Before the Storm".

barring Clairmont's return to an major X-book (wont happen, he doesn't sell books like he used to)

Claremont doesn't write like he used to, either.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 07:32:20 am by Jenn »

Offline zulu801

• Honorary Wakandan
  • No matter how hard you try you can't stop this..
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2006, 07:39:08 am »
IMO, the more flack naysayers and haters have to say about BP and Storm it will give RH much more inspriation to write great stories and prove to anti BP/Storm relationship haters that the future for them is on a strong positve track for Marvel U. 

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2006, 07:39:59 am »

And even if she did, the fans wouldn't buy it. If Storm is so popular, why have ALL of her minis done so poorly in sales? I think the fist one may have had decent sales, but even *I* didn't buy "Ororo: Before the Storm".

This is just me, but for a character to work she/he has to have a mission/job and a homebase/town. For example, Gambit's a thief that lives in New Oreleans. Nobody's bothered to give Storm even that level of detail.

barring Clairmont's return to an major X-book (wont happen, he doesn't sell books like he used to)

Claremont doesn't write like he used to, either.

Yeah, unless he's working with a really great artist, he just hacks it out now. He's been half-assing it since 1985 probably.

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2006, 07:41:52 am »
Here's my take: What you have to understand is that INTERNET FLACK DONT COUNT. Really. If it did Priest would still be writing this book and it would be at #100 about now.  Priest was the darling of the internet fans. Book got cancelled due to low sales(It wasnt me, I was actullay buying it).

Internet fans hated Avengers Disassembled and look how much money that made Marvel. Old School Fan hate Civil War. But its selling. You could make a strong case for doing the polar opposite of what internet fans wanted as a SUREFIRE WAY of making big sales bucks.

Marvel's got no reason to listen its fans on the matter of Storm/Panther or anything else.  

Moreover outside of Chris Clairmont who has propertary interest in the character(after all, he made her popular it the first place), NOBODY at the X-Office gives a rat's ass about Storm. In the 90's it was all about fan icon Jeny Grey, Romantic Foil Rogue and Psylocke the Asian combat stripper.

Even at this point that hasnt changed. If it was up to me Storm would be starring solo in her own comic or leading the XSE in its own book. Storm is Marvel's closest equivalent to Wonder Woman. She was created to be the most powerful member of her team (Jean Grey and Sue Storm started out as wimps). But when Nightcrawler, JUBILEE AND WHITE QUEEN got ongoing series before she did, the handwriting was on the wall.

And even if Storm were to go back to the X-Men, what would she do? What role would she play? Team Sexpot? That's White Queen. Team Leader? It's been done and we still have Cyclops for that.  Hardened Vet? That's Rouge's job these days. Den Mom? Well there's always that but considering Kitty Pride=Buffy these days she's not even useful as that.

Why the internet fans willfully ignore this fact is open to debate (on another thread, hopefully :D), but barring Clairmont's return to an major X-book (wont happen, he doesn't sell books like he used to) I'd say Storm and Black Panther are pretty secure.

Cosign every single word. Especially if Storm went back it would just be back burner central for her, so she's good right where she is. The non fans would rather her be in the background on X-Men than doing something as queen of Wakanda and being happy and involved in stories? Says a lot about those "fans", and luckily the X-Office is IGNORING them.
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

Jenn

« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2006, 07:58:21 am »
He's been half-assing it since 1985 probably.

Lord, the annual...that's how I knew that these so-called Storm "fns" aren't fans at all. Any true Storm fan would've been INSULTED by that sh*t. Like I told Hud, this was never about Storm. This is about Black Panther stepping to Storm like a man, making Wolverine look like a punk in the process. To quote the man himself, "he can't get ALL the pussy." (That's my 2nd favorite Hudlin quote. My all-time favorite: "T'Challa and Ororo: now black AND f*cking!")

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2006, 08:03:39 am »
I might be the biggest "Storm should have her own book" zealot out there but even I'll admit she'd look ridiculous jumping out of alleyway beating up drug dealers :D. Marvel most popular character all have this knack.

If you want to see if a character can sell well at Marvel, try to imagine him/ pouncing on some dude from an alley ;D.

Punisher? Check.
Spider Man? Check.
Wolverine? Check.
Captain America. Check.
Blade? Check, but in his case it'd be a VAMPIRE drug dealer.
Cage? Check.

Unfortunately Storm fails the "Alley Ambush" test ;D  

Offline kitamu Re

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2006, 08:05:30 am »
My all-time favorite: "T'Challa and Ororo: now black AND f*cking!")

that is my fav as well..I can see that the fan boys hate that..bp and storm's children will be more powerful then any other couple in the marvel U.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2006, 08:13:36 am »
He's been half-assing it since 1985 probably.

Lord, the annual...that's how I knew that these so-called Storm "fns" aren't fans at all. Any true Storm fan would've been INSULTED by that sh*t. Like I told Hud, this was never about Storm. This is about Black Panther stepping to Storm like a man, making Wolverine look like a punk in the process. To quote the man himself, "he can't get ALL the pussy." (That's my 2nd favorite Hudlin quote. My all-time favorite: "T'Challa and Ororo: now black AND f*cking!")

Didn't read the annual. Did read the ARENA though. That was pretty bad. They send Storm on a mission to break up mutant pit fighting and she ends up THE NUMBER ONE ATTRACTION  there(!). If they'd of sent her to break up a drug ring she of ended up a Heroin addict >:(. And Yokio is Storm's Lesbian Bitch. I guess there no ACS in Japan cause there's NO WAY IN HELL that silly ho should be raising kids(I have seen worse in real life though :o

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2006, 02:25:58 pm »
Still do not agree with this assessment of Claremont....read "Arena" and while it did not read as a "great story" it was not a lesbian fantasy or anti-Storm.  Wonder if any of the naysayers here support independent Black comics and put their money where their mouth is since they don't like the first major Black super hero in comics recreated by Claremont.  If you don't like it then don't buy it...if Claremont hadn't written it you would never have known Storm.  In any medium an artist hits a zenith and will come down....Claremont at least had the balls to write diverse characters and take risks.