Author Topic: The Future of Black Panther and Storm?  (Read 38260 times)

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of Black Panther and Storm?
« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2006, 09:12:55 am »
Still do not agree with this assessment of Claremont....read "Arena" and while it did not read as a "great story" it was not a lesbian fantasy or anti-Storm.  Wonder if any of the naysayers here support independent Black comics and put their money where their mouth is since they don't like the first major Black super hero in comics recreated by Claremont.  If you don't like it then don't buy it...if Claremont hadn't written it you would never have known Storm.  In any medium an artist hits a zenith and will come down....Claremont at least had the balls to write diverse characters and take risks.

Amen!!!

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2006, 10:14:12 am »
LOL

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2007, 11:38:03 pm »
Still do not agree with this assessment of Claremont....read "Arena" and while it did not read as a "great story" it was not a lesbian fantasy or anti-Storm.  Wonder if any of the naysayers here support independent Black comics and put their money where their mouth is since they don't like the first major Black super hero in comics recreated by Claremont.  If you don't like it then don't buy it...if Claremont hadn't written it you would never have known Storm.  In any medium an artist hits a zenith and will come down....Claremont at least had the balls to write diverse characters and take risks.

Amen!!!

LOL!!!!

Jenn

« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2007, 12:11:12 am »
HERE LIES JENN
SHE DIED LAUGHING
1982-2007

...if Claremont hadn't written it you would never have known Storm.  In any medium an artist hits a zenith and will come down....Claremont at least had the balls to write diverse characters and take risks.

I can give Claremont credit for his former greatness and his current f*ckups at the same time.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 12:18:03 am by Dora Milaje »

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2007, 07:14:02 am »
i gave claremont the benefit of the doubt...that's why i read xtreme xmen and the XMEN titles relaunch...you know, the 6 month's later fighting against the NEO stories.

and i hope the neo stay gone.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2007, 11:11:12 am »
does anyone know what will happen to Black Panther and Storm once Hudlin leaves? I hope he stays on for decades, but in the comics biz its inevitable.

The Divorce of the Century, I'm sure.

^^^Well, I sincerely hope not.

T'Challa and Ororo being married is probably one ot the best things that's happened in comic books.

They work well together regardless of what the haters say.

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2007, 01:56:01 pm »

And even if she did, the fans wouldn't buy it. If Storm is so popular, why have ALL of her minis done so poorly in sales? I think the fist one may have had decent sales, but even *I* didn't buy "Ororo: Before the Storm".

[

The reason those minis did not sell is because they are crap. Lets face it. "Ororo: Before the Storm" was horrible. Many Storm fans did not buy it because they did not like the premis. I only bought it to show Marvel that I supported the character. They would never do a story arc like that for a Jean mini. Why not give Storm a mini where she is an adult with her powers and give her an antagonish worthy of the power, you know? I guarantee if the mini was dealing with Storm seeking out her ancestral roots with her grandmother in Africa with the immortal mutants Selene and Apacolypse playing as the antagonists and showing a 3-way history where these two immortals have battled Storm's ancestors throughout their lives (Storm's ancestry goes back to the dawn of humanity. The women in her family all had white hair, blue eyes and were sorceresses) and they are looking for some kind of retribution or something against Storm and her ancestors, that story would have sold like hot cakes. I mean, I'm sure Storm's ancestors would have clashed with Selene and Apacolypse over the millinea. And why would Selene and Apacolypse be friends? I'm sure alliances have been made and broken between the three over the millinea to keep each other in check. Instead, they give Storm stories with the very weak Morlocks and crap like this "Before the Storm" which nobody will care about.

I don't know why they don't think of better ideas for Storm.
Ex-X-Writer and Ex-X-editor Ann Nocenti writes on Storm:

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Take from page 24 or 26 of her novel, "Prisoner X"

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #97 on: April 17, 2007, 02:05:44 pm »
(Storm's ancestry goes back to the dawn of humanity. The women in her family all had white hair, blue eyes and were sorceresses) 

Is this actually true? I didn't think her mother had white hair and blue eyes.

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2007, 02:09:11 pm »
[

Cosign every single word. Especially if Storm went back it would just be back burner central for her, so she's good right where she is. The non fans would rather her be in the background on X-Men than doing something as queen of Wakanda and being happy and involved in stories? Says a lot about those "fans", and luckily the X-Office is IGNORING them.

I'm really concerned about Storm being back with the X-Men, honestly. The Fantastic Four and BP are MUCH better books/teams for her. They fight much more powerful villains and you don't have millions of heroes running around on the same time trying to fight the villain. Storm and BP are very different. He is a Mr. Fantastic-type character who is very good with science and all. Storm is the powerhouse. In FF, Storm's the powerhouse, Thing has the strength, BP has the scientific know-how and the resources of his country while Torch brings what he can.  Case in point, look at the current stories in BP and FF. We are going to see some really major power from Storm that we should see more often. What are we getting in the X-Men? Morlocks? I'm so tired of that.  In the X-Men, you have tons of mutants running around with superpowers fighting villains that Storm can take on solo. I hope to God that Magneto does not show up and they try and portray him as somebody who can fight the entire team with Storm on the lineup or portray him like this huge threat and then never have Storm fight him. Then again, if she did fight him, he can't realistically win! True, she does have history with the X-Men and we could see that play up in some great character scenes, but I want to see Storm shine in all aspects of her character. With her powers, she should be with a smaller cast or solo. Writers can create new relationships with her on other teams like the FF. This is really the best team for her.

"At her command, oceans rise, breezes cool, rains pummel, tornadoes destroy, sun dries, seas part."

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Rutog98

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2007, 02:10:03 pm »
(Storm's ancestry goes back to the dawn of humanity. The women in her family all had white hair, blue eyes and were sorceresses) 

Is this actually true? I didn't think her mother had white hair and blue eyes.

This is true. Her mother wanted to make her own destiny and left Ororo's grandmother. She probably dyed her hair and wore contacts. lol

Pretty nifty! ;)

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2007, 02:39:54 pm »

Which brings me to the point of this post: does anyone know what will happen to Black Panther and Storm once Hudlin leaves? I hope he stays on for decades, but in the comics biz its inevitable. Fanboys aside I have no idea how Quasada feels about the pairing and if he'll let it stand once Mr. H leaves. I would hope so but you never know.

^^^Creative teams come and go but it's a safe bet to assume that Mr Hudlin is going to be writing BP for a long time.

Having said that though, in the event that Mr Hudlin has to move on to other things due to business commitments, it would be up to fans of the current incarnation of BP to kick J. Quesada's ass on line via petition and boycott if BP's intrinsic dopeness is tampered with in any way.

Peace

Offline Princesa

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2007, 02:53:38 pm »
The future of BP and Storm is they will be iconic comix couple and they will have the next generation of superbeings as the off spring.

Offline kitamu Re

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2007, 05:55:53 pm »
What are we getting in the X-Men? Morlocks? I'm so tired of that.

I am concerned about that story as well..it sunds Blah..the ,morlocks have always been a lame idea. I will pick up the first two issues to see if T'challa is in the book (knowing brubaker he will act like t'challa does not exist or that storm has duties and responibilites as queen) I don't think any morlock story could hold my interest since storm is more powerful then all the morlocks combined.

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2007, 06:01:50 pm »

Being Black with very strong African and Latin cultural roots and also being a lifelong adherent of the martial arts,I tried to purchase this mini,but my local comics shop kept telling me that they were sold out.I asked if they were getting more,but they told me that they probably weren't becasue the series isn't selling well and that the story is lame.That's a quote."The story is lame."

Is the story lame?
It's a very good read.  Very feminist, and more in touch with how a real woman would be portrayed if there were actual super heroes.  It's getting flack from many men, because it doesn't ooze sexuality.  Her breasts and butt aren't all in your face.  Her costume isn't overtly sexual, and she kicks a LOT of male butt.

And I was just stating a fact of the book.  I thought I saw someone write that over in the 'Real black love' thread, asking why she had to be paired up with Daredevil instead of a Puerto Rican love interest.  She isn't attracted to Matt Murdock, she has respect for him.  She stood up to her former FBI director who fired her because she believed in what Matt was doing in his neighborhood.  

But on the topic of interracial romances, I see things a little differently.  I dont' care who someone is romantically linked to, as long as it is written well.  If you love someone for who they are, the color of one's skin should never be a issue, love should be color blind.  Ask my parents who have been married for almost 30 years, and have had personal and social issues caused by this, but have weathered the storm beautifully.  They are more in love today than they were 28 years ago.

^^^props to your folks then.

But the same doesn't always hold true for other people.

Anyone who refuses to recognise that we live in a seriously race driven world is living a delusional lie.

Just look at the amount of hate that Reginald Hudlin has faced because he had the guts to marry T'challa and Ororo!

You'd think that the fans would by and large, be celebrating one of the biggest events in Marvel history but nooooooooooo.

All they could do ws cuss Mr Hudlin out for daring to portray to strong African characters in love.

If you dont know, black-on-black love is frowned upon by many haters whilst interracial unions are seen as being the norm.

Strangely enough, no one bats an eyelid that most other non-African ethnicities tend not to have this uncontrollable urge to be linked up with other racial groups.

I wonder why? ::)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 12:49:08 am by Salustrade »

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2007, 06:05:34 pm »
What are we getting in the X-Men? Morlocks? I'm so tired of that.

I am concerned about that story as well..it sunds Blah..the ,morlocks have always been a lame idea. I will pick up the first two issues to see if T'challa is in the book (knowing brubaker he will act like t'challa does not exist or that storm has duties and responibilites as queen) I don't think any morlock story could hold my interest since storm is more powerful then all the morlocks combined.

^^^I'll give the book a chance and see where the story goes.

At least that's more than can be said for the peons who refuse to pick up BP under dubious reasoning. ;)