Author Topic: Mexico’s Top Math Student Lives in a Trash Dump  (Read 1707 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Mexico’s Top Math Student Lives in a Trash Dump
« on: October 12, 2012, 12:46:24 pm »
POLITICS 365:

Mexico’s Top Math Student Lives in a Trash Dump

1 day ago | Also Featured in National National News Policy Spotlight
By Sara Inés Calderón

Eleven year-old Paloma Noyola Martínez is the top math student in Mexico, according to the national Enlace test, and the kicker is that she lives in a community of people who survive from scavenging a dump in Matamoros, Tamaulipas.

Incidentally, she placed third overall in Spanish. Paloma attends a school with other children whose families depend on the dump, which is located across the Rio Grande from Brownsville, Texas.

“I’m happy and very proud and I’m going to continue to study,” she told local media, adding that her family and friends pleaded with her to “continue to keep trying her hardest.”

Paloma’s mother, Guadalupe Martínez, asked the state secretary of education to help her continue to send her daughter to school, since she is a widow and cannot afford to send her daughter to middle school. None of Paloma’s eight siblings were ever able tofinish middle school because they couldn’t afford it, but her mother said the girl always studied hard — even after her father’s death six months ago.

The school principal has arranged to give Paloma a laptop — it has always been herdream, she said. But, he noted it would be difficult to use it, since sometimes there’s not even power available for her to be able to turn it on.

This post originally appeared in Más Wired.

Offline sherelled

• View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4555092605573&set=a.1551655401520.77168.1539197080&type=1&theater
Re: Mexico’s Top Math Student Lives in a Trash Dump
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 06:46:36 pm »
This story touches my soul. I work for the Los Angeles School District and see many a child come through those school doors, some with the world on their shoulders. This story shows just how the most talented child can come out of the ashes. That this child's mother is doing what she has to do to survive and keep her family alive all the while trying to push this talented seedling through the dirt to become a cultivated flower. Amazing! I am doing a project highlighting this very theme. "Mothers who no matter what, are striving to make their child a successful student". I hope it airs in the future, if so I will let you know when and where. LOVE THIS STORY :)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 07:45:56 pm »
I knew this story would speak to you.  It shows how determination can overcome any obstacle.  I think about Obama's mom waking up at 4am going over his lessons, and responding to his complains with "this is no picnic for me either." 

And how shameful that Mexico would not reward her achievement by giving her a hand up from her circumstances. 

Offline sherelled

• View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4555092605573&set=a.1551655401520.77168.1539197080&type=1&theater
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 10:56:25 pm »
I love that quote from Obama's mother. And I have faith that someone will see this story and help this family. Slowly but surely our "villages" are coming together. Thanks for sharing. :)