Author Topic: Is God preferable to be "fair" or "just"?  (Read 1778 times)

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Is God preferable to be "fair" or "just"?
« on: October 19, 2012, 07:13:57 am »
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/ellenpainterdollar/2012/10/why-i-am-a-christian-democrat/

excerpt:
I am a Democrat because I see a difference between “fairness” and “justice.” I was struck, in reading the comments to my colleague’s husband’s essay, by how many people called for “fair” economic policies. “Fair” appeared to mean that those who obtain much wealth are not asked to give a good chunk of it up to help those who have little. But in God’s math, we don’t always get what is fair or what we deserve by the world’s standards, either for our hard work (e.g., the parable of the day laborers, Matthew 20:1–16) or our sinfulness. God is not about fairness. God is about justice. God is about all people being treated with dignity as those made in God’s image, about extravagant generosity regardless of merit, about those stuck in bad luck or the consequences of bad decisions getting second (and third and fourth and seventy-seventh) chances, about everyone giving out of what they have so that all have what they need (e.g., the Loaves and Fishes, Matthew 14:13–21). It may be unfair for the very wealthy to be taxed at a higher rate than the middle class, but in God’s economy, it is just.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 09:49:27 am by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
Re: Is God preferable to be "fair" or "just"?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 11:56:41 am »
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/ellenpainterdollar/2012/10/why-i-am-a-christian-democrat/

excerpt:
I am a Democrat because I see a difference between “fairness” and “justice.” I was struck, in reading the comments to my colleague’s husband’s essay, by how many people called for “fair” economic policies. “Fair” appeared to mean that those who obtain much wealth are not asked to give a good chunk of it up to help those who have little. But in God’s math, we don’t always get what is fair or what we deserve by the world’s standards, either for our hard work (e.g., the parable of the day laborers, Matthew 20:1–16) or our sinfulness. God is not about fairness. God is about justice. God is about all people being treated with dignity as those made in God’s image, about extravagant generosity regardless of merit, about those stuck in bad luck or the consequences of bad decisions getting second (and third and fourth and seventy-seventh) chances, about everyone giving out of what they have so that all have what they need (e.g., the Loaves and Fishes, Matthew 14:13–21). It may be unfair for the very wealthy to be taxed at a higher rate than the middle class, but in God’s economy, it is just.

Regardless of political party, I would like the word god far, far removed from anything that has to do with our government, though I realize that is a pipe dream.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 09:27:55 am »

excerpt:

Regardless of political party, I would like the word god far, far removed from anything that has to do with our government, though I realize that is a pipe dream.

I definitely wish that the trend of fundamentalism would evaporate.. bible-thumpers here, Qur'an thumpers over there, etc.
Be Kind to Someone Today.

APEXABYSS

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 06:50:08 pm »
???

Offline michaelintp

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 09:44:48 pm »
Too often "fair" means getting what I want, and "just" means I think I deserve it.  Y'know, kinda like a five-year-old.

Somehow, I don't think any of that has much do with the Divine (or adult) notions of Fairness and Justice.

Given our, and the world's, state of affairs, neither Fairness nor Justice will result in anything any of us will enjoy.

Our only hope is for God to be Merciful.
The spirit of emptiness is immortal.
It is called the Great Mother
because it gives birth to Heaven and Earth.
It is like a vapor,
barely seen but always present.
Use it effortlessly.

Tao Te Ching, Ch. 6