Author Topic: MAN WITH THE IRON FISTS  (Read 3141 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
MAN WITH THE IRON FISTS
« on: November 02, 2012, 10:01:58 pm »
I had a great time! 

Offline Derrick

• View Profile
    • Blood & Ink
Re: MAN WITH THE IRON FISTS
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 10:47:28 pm »
THE MAN WITH THE IRON FISTS
Universal Pictures
Directed by Rza
Produced by Eli Roth and Marc Abraham
Written by Rza and Eli Roth

Itís not necessary for you to have watched 1970ís Kung Fu movies as obsessively as I did and still do to enjoy THE MAN WITH THE IRON FISTS but it sure doesnít hurt. This is the real thing in that while watching it I actually felt like I was in a 42end St. grindhouse back in the Ď70ís. The only thing missing was the smell of pot and the snoring of a wino in the last row. The style and characters and story are such vintage Kung Fu movie swave that itís easy to just settle back and enjoy the sheer outrageousness on the screen.

In the small community of Jungle Village there is constant warfare between various clans battling for supremacy. The Lion Clan is the most powerful and due to special weapons created by Thaddeus the Blacksmith (Rza) they are able to defeat their hated enemies and prepare for a huge shipment of gold bullion that is to be transported through their village. Itís guarded by The Geminis (Andrew Lin and Grace Huang) and an army of warriors equipped with rapid firing crossbows. But this doesnít deter Silver Lion (Byron Mann) the new leader of The Lion Clan. What does worry him is that Zen Yi, The X-Blade (Rick Yune) is returning to Jungle Village to investigate his fatherís highly suspicious death. Silver Lion hires Brass Body (David Bautista) a seven foot tall mercenary who backs up his superhuman strength with the supernatural ability to turn his body into living brass to kill Zen Yi.

Meanwhile, a mysterious stranger right out of a Sergio Leone western comes to town. Jack Knife (Russell Crowe) apparently is there only to smoke opium and bang as many of Madam Blossomís (Lucy Liu) whores as he can. But his hedonistic behavior hides a cunning, devious mind that has schemes on getting the gold himself.

Thaddeus is content to stay out of the conflict. He only cares about earning enough gold through his blacksmithing to buy his girlfriend Lady Silk (Jamie Chung) out of Madame Blossomís  service and build a new life together far away from Jungle Village. But Thaddeus soon learns that everybody must pick a side in the epic battle over the gold. Even him.

THE MAN WITH THE IRON FISTS starts out fast and strong and never slows down itís plot for an instant. Thereís always something interesting happening on screen, whether itís a knock-down-drag-out beatdown or Russell Crowe getting his freak on or Silver Lion scheming with a mysterious hooded man to get the gold. All the while Rza is narrating in a voice that sounds nothing like how I imagine a black man in the 19th Century would sound. Matter of fact, Thaddeus sounds like he came to Jungle Village straight from Brooklynís Brownsville. But oddly enough, it just adds to the fun of the movie which also borrows heavily from spaghetti westerns. Itís also cool how each of the characters have their own special weapons with the standouts being the combined Bowie knife/pistol carried by Jack Knife or the armored suit that is made up of bladed weapons worn by Zen-Yi which gives him his nickname of The X-Blade.

You donít go to a movie like this for the acting but it helps when itís as good as it is here. Madame Blossom is a role Lucy Liu could play in her sleep but she throws herself into it fully. Rza was a little too laid back for me to be the main character but I think it was a wise move for him to let the more experienced actors carry the bulk of the movie. Rick Yune and the Master Killer himself, Gordon Liu also do solid acting jobs. I had a lot of fun with Byron Mann as Silver Lion because if thereís one thing I love, itís a bad guy who enjoys being a bad guy. He struts through the movie with a psychotic grin and hair that any member of an 80ís heavy metal band would envy.

But nobody in the movie throws himself into their role with as much gusto as Russell Crowe. He looks as if heís having the time of his life being in a Kung Fu movie and for much of the movieís running time weíre not sure what the deal is with this guy Jack Knife. When heís not drinking or smoking dope or banging whores heís creeping around the village in disguise, quietly gathering information and observing whatís going on.

So should you see THE MAN WITH THE IRON FISTS? Absolutely. I loved how this movie is such an unashamed throwback to those wonderful 70ís Kung Fu movies done with style and substance. Everybody looks as if they had a great time making it and from the sound of it the audience I watched the movie with had an equally good time watching it. I know I did.

96 minutes
Rated R

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 12:59:41 pm »
I'm checking this joint out, too. No genuine old skool martial arts head could pass it up.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 01:26:25 pm »
I'm checking this joint out, too. No genuine old skool martial arts head could pass it up.
EXACTLY!!!!

Offline D- Ruck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 01:16:47 pm »
That was fantastic!  Very few times I had that much fun watching a film.  The soundtrack and score was awesome as well.  Iron Fist's theme was epic and surprisingly heroic adding to Rza's character.  Even though he was super laid back, I liked it because it reminds me of video games where the lead character's personality was scaled back because he was basically our avatar.  I don't know if that was Rza's idea, but it worked for me.
"Playa Hatas

Elevate us

If you Cross Me

You'll Die"

Wise Lebron

APEXABYSS

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 02:26:44 pm »
...devil's advocate! i wanted to see other cast-members promote the movie, too. not jus' the rizz.
rza-rector, certified mad scientist

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 07:50:22 am »
I thought this was a decent movie. I think RZA's love for martial arts films shined through. While RZA isn't the greatest actor, he was passable in the role. I liked the guy who played Silver Lion-I think it's hard to pull of a menacing villain with something of a sense of humor. The action was pretty good, and there was quite a bit of bloodletting. The rest of the cast was alright too. I can see this film gaining a cult following.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 07:32:35 pm »
Finally sat down to check this out!

'Man With The Iron Fists' was actually better than I thought! :)

The_Scribe

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 10:56:46 am »
Fascinating script!  A little to graphic for me.  I couldn't help it.  I'm old school.  Danny Rand should be made Black or Asian.