Author Topic: Thanksgiving thoughts....  (Read 2311 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Thanksgiving thoughts....
« on: November 23, 2012, 02:38:28 am »
We had a smaller group of folks over this year, just our family and some very close friends.  The kids played outside (yeah, LA!) then settled in to watch some movies. 

CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG went over well with the kids, then later we watched the JUSTICE LEAGUE animated movie where they fight the Crime Syndicate.  Written by Dwayne McDuffie.  We watched over the holidays years ago, but that was the adults digging it.  This time it was the kids, who were now old enough to appreciate it. 

Watching it, I remembered the first time I read that script.  It blew my mind how Dwayne improved on the already great original concept.  The most impressive thing to me was how well he wrote action. On the page, action can be just big boring clumps that you scan over.  Not with Dwayne. It was easy to follow and always advanced story. 

I miss Dwayne.  I'm thankful to have known him, and I'm so sad he's gone.

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Thanksgiving thoughts....
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 06:37:26 pm »
Thanksgiving this year was more somber and reflective given the number of deaths in the family( One taking place just last month) but it was still a great time. Even more, I got to appreciate the passing of time as there are new little people running around who were laughing and playing all night.

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 06:40:20 pm »
Oh, by the way the REAL highlight of Thanksgiving was my discovery of the underground West Indian Youtube sensation, SANTANA!

Just type in Rogera43 and watch the comedy gold that is SANTANA!

Reggie, I suggest you get in on the ground floor and get the licensing rights to bring this to America! 8)

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 05:34:16 pm »
Reconnected with my artist family!  None of them are starving now.  LOTS of comedy and cheer throughout the weekend.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 10:06:21 pm by Magic Wand »
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Tanksleyd

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Thanksgiving thoughts....
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 06:22:28 pm »
I got stuck at my brothers house, when the real party was at my sisters.

Who knew!!!!????

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 09:05:16 pm »
Sis #1's family came up from the Music City on Tuesday. I knew things were going to be interesting when I heard them pull up from my office and my 9-yr-old nephew greeted me in the driveway wearing his MMA gloves. "Planning to spar with Uncle #7, are you?" Minutes after eating dinner, he was throwing kicks and punches with my brother in the living room critiquing his form while Mom and Dad looked on. Talking went on well into the night as expected even though Dad had dialysis in the morning. (Schedule always gets shifted around the weeks of the holidays.) Last year, I'd started the tradition of having a ham AND a turkey, so we started eating on the ham Tuesday night. They stay in my office while here, so I cut back on my practicing for the meantime. My B-i-L basically took over the cooking duties, though Sis and Mom get something in now and then. (The guy's a great cook.) Nephew had settled into Bro #7's room on the X-Box. Bro #6 works retail with 2 others at a kiosk, so he was in and out going crazy preparing for Black Friday.

Bro #5 works the third shift temp at a distribution center south of town. I notice that their treatment of workers has changed BIG time from last year. Last year, they would call if they didn't need him to come in. (It's a half hour away out in the middle of nowhere from EVERYTHING.) Occasionally they would "forget" to call and it would be an annoyance. This year, the distribution center has taken more of what I'll call a "Mexican temp worker" approach. The temp workers rush in as soon as they can and the distribution center will take the first 50-100 and send the rest of them home. Last year they let them break for Thanksgiving. Not this time. He worked both Wed and Thur nights. Don't ask me how he stayed awake for Thanksgiving dinner. The way they're treating workers they have this relationship with concerns me somewhat. As big business fights back against the worker and govt., I wonder if more and more this is going to be SOP.

Being "shut" out of my office and playing chauffeur, the week ended up pretty long. It was great to touch base with the Sis #1-family and talk. Thanksgiving night, I packed up my electric piano and did a trio gig at another family dinner. (I barely got there in time as my OWN dinner wasn't ready until twenty minutes before I left!) Normally, you would have to pay me a hell of a lot more than what I got paid in order to do it, but the head of the family is one of the oldest members of the local musicians union I used to lead AND is a FAMU alum. The only way I could get away with turning him down would be if I wasn't even in town and even then I'd feel like a heel.

Another highlight of the week was sending out a Happy Thanksgiving text and receiving a response that would make Bro. Sam Wilson beam with pride.

Everything said, dinner was awesome. There were some people like my oldest sister that I wished could have made it, but it was a great meal with everyone enjoying each others' company... like a family should be.

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 08:15:51 am »
Still swooning off last weekend's terrific Turkey Day festivities, along with other great things to be thankful for this week, I was chuckling with a friend about something new I learned last week at the dinner party wind down.

Mind you, I was already quite intrigued that my friend that is younger than me dared to even prepare a feast to include chitlins, as I genuinely don't know anyone under 70 that would even consider it.  Well, Sistah Girl got down on a turkey, a ham, oxtails and chitlins and ALLLL the trimmins for what turned out to be an obscenely decadent spread for the intimate party of specially invited guests.

The vegetarian in me was more than satisfied to sample the greens, peas, dressing, mac n cheese, cakes, pies and ports.  I even partook in a tinch of a sliver of a chitlin, just to say I had.

After the main meal, folks napped and nibbled as is fairly common amongst us.....but then something unusual caught my attention:

As folks packed their to-go plates for the long journey home, I noted that even though the chitlins had been a hit, none of the first few to depart packed any chitins to-go.  It struck me as rather peculiar since everyone had raved about them.

Later, as the last of us were departing, after assisting our host with the mountain of clean-up, I over-heard a conversation that went something like this:

Host:  Girl, take as much as you want.  Y'all know I cain't eat all'a dis!
Guest:  (scooping)  Gurrrrrl, thanks! 

Then, Guest approaches chitlins and Host stops her in her tracks with:  Girl, you know I love you, but all the chitlins you want will have to be consumed on these premises.

Awkward silence.

I turned to see the expression on her face was quite serious and the Guest has turned red.

More silence.  Then finally the Host offered this explanation of "chitlin etiquette":

Due to the delicate nature of chitlins and the time required to prepare them appropriately, they are to be treated with the utmost respect and never taken out of the Hosts home (on a to-go plate) unless wrapped by the host herself!

The guest stood corrected and apologized for the gaff.
I just stood aghast.

Is this "chitlin etiquette" a common unwritten rule?

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 08:30:33 am »
Then, Guest approaches chitlins and Host stops her in her tracks with:  Girl, you know I love you, but all the chitlins you want will have to be consumed on these premises.

Awkward silence.

Chitlins?     *ugh*   Hey... Hey... Hey...  :-X

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 01:58:36 pm »
Never had them. Refuse to try them. Threatened my B-i-L with a painful death if he tried to cook them in our house. (He apparently loves them.) Still... Never heard of "chitlin etiquette." I personally think sister didn't want to share leftovers!