Author Topic: Why Are So Many Young Black Athletes Killing Themselves?  (Read 7079 times)

Offline sherelled

• View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4555092605573&set=a.1551655401520.77168.1539197080&type=1&theater
Why Are So Many Young Black Athletes Killing Themselves?
« on: December 01, 2012, 05:18:11 pm »
Linebacker Jovan Belcher took his own life on Saturday morning and of his girlfriend, a murder suicide. What is so so detrimental to these young people? if someone says no I am done with you. You are too unstable, get some help take the advise. This young man needed some counselling most likely long ago. I just shake my head. Some body some where should have seen or heard cries for help. We as a society are becoming too complacent and too much into ourselves to see the harm that someone else can do to others. Because we do not want to get involved. What?????? There is an eighteen month old baby with no parents now because of this tragedy. So sad.  :-X

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Why Are So Many Young Black Athletes Killing Themselves?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 05:58:06 pm »
Anyone knows or can provide an image of what the female victim looks like?

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 07:07:19 pm »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/chi-jovan-belcher-kansas-city-chiefs-20121201,0,6558160.story

sigh.. God bless..  Not sure what an investigation will bring up since both principals are dead.. We'll see, if anything.

mental health issues and resources continue to be (semi)ignored by professional sports culture, and even beyond that, in African-American communities is still a neglected issue.. even in the broader culture, it's still often inordinately expensive, lots of mainstream insurance carriers barely offer coverage..
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Marvelous

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 10:37:57 pm »

http://4umf.com/jovan-belchers-girlfriends-family-speaks/

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 03:04:40 am »

http://4umf.com/jovan-belchers-girlfriends-family-speaks/

Thanks for the reply!

This image was clipped from a different site other than the link Marvelous posted

Apparently, the girl hails from Texas and decided to move to Missouri to be with the athelete.
Y'know....  I've heard it said that a picture can say a thousand words and the only thing I will say that after viewing that image is now I understand what the Beatles were thinkin'  of  when they wrote money,  'Can't Buy Me Love.' :-\
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 08:40:54 am by Battle »

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 11:23:57 am »
This is a sad tragedy of course.

But I wonder about the premise of the question:
Are "many" black athletes committing suicide? Or does it get a lot of media coverage when it occurs?
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 04:31:21 pm »
My condolonces go out to both families.

Respectfully, I think the premise of the opening thread is off as I can't think of many instances in which young Black athletes have killed themselves. In fact, I believe that Black men in general have a low suicide rate. Although, given the levels of self-medication in the form of drugs that number maybe misleading.

Offline sherelled

• View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4555092605573&set=a.1551655401520.77168.1539197080&type=1&theater
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 09:50:42 pm »
 :o OJ Murdock, Dave Dewerson, Junior Seau ( not technically african american). And to those who disagree with the thread. I say this. Our young men and women are under pressures that cause them to go off in a detrimental ways. Killing each other. Being Killed by law enforcement. Killing others are all a form of suicide. I might have generalized the issue but we as black folk we can no longer send the young ones that are in trouble down "south" to stay with a aunt or uncle. If you that sit on the sideline I am dismayed that they(black men) are doing a cowardly thing like this. SUIDCIDE is not the way of the African!

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 10:13:16 pm »
:o OJ Murdock, Dave Dewerson, Junior Seau ( not technically african american). And to those who disagree with the thread. I say this. Our young men and women are under pressures that cause them to go off in a detrimental ways. Killing each other. Being Killed by law enforcement. Killing others are all a form of suicide. I might have generalized the issue but we as black folk we can no longer send the young ones that are in trouble down "south" to stay with a aunt or uncle. If you that sit on the sideline I am dismayed that they(black men) are doing a cowardly thing like this. SUIDCIDE is not the way of the African!

Dewerson and Seau were victims of CTE. CTE is a tragic and incurable condition that many football players seem to be suffering from.

I don't "Disagree" with the thread and I pointed out that deaths caused by drug addiction are the result of self-medicating. I am a Christian and I believe that self-murder is against the Lord's will. Mental health is a significant issue in the Black community and it extends into all socio-economic groups within it.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 07:47:41 am »
Surprisingly, I agree with Jason Whitlock on this.

Offline sherelled

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 09:01:46 am »
Metcalf that was the most enlightening article I have read on this subject. Thank you for sharing that. On this day I celebrate my birthday thanking God for every breath that I have taken over these years. I shake my head at this and many other tragic events where life has been taken away so young and so soon. :-\

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 12:11:45 pm »
I was surprised to see Bob Costas during the Sunday Night Football halftime show, call for a reconsideration of gun control laws.. I don't expect any momentum on it, but it was interesting.
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline sherelled

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 12:37:10 pm »
Gun Control and it's mention is a big part of the root of this enormous problem. But teaching our children the value of life and that entitlement is an earned, respected thing may help. God is what and who truly needs to intervene. :)

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 01:18:16 pm »
Metcalf that was the most enlightening article I have read on this subject. Thank you for sharing that. On this day I celebrate my birthday thanking God for every breath that I have taken over these years. I shake my head at this and many other tragic events where life has been taken away so young and so soon. :-\
Well happy birthday, sherelled. It's good to focus on the positive.
And you can call me Curtis.  ;)

Offline sherelled

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 04:37:12 pm »
Curtis Thank You For The Birthday Wish. And yes we must focus on as much positivity as we can. :D