Author Topic: Recommend a Laptop  (Read 1646 times)

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Recommend a Laptop
« on: December 18, 2012, 06:43:22 am »
I'm giving away my PC desktop to a niece; that'll leave me with nada on the computer front.  I'd like to buy a cool laptop-- but I've never owned one, so I'm behind the curve on what all is trendy (good or bad).  I've read that Windows 8 isn't all that.. but is the learning curve for a Mac too steep for the uninitiated?

I'd need something with lots of memory; besides text files, I'd likely be using it to work with audio/video files editing as well.  I'd love for it to have an embedded blu-ray DVD player (I have scant few blu-ray discs but since this is the "norm" format now I figure I might as well look at films on this rather than buying some portable blu-ray player).  It would preferably have a strong internal battery that doesn't have to constantly be recharged throughout the day.  And it would need to have very good internet connection capabilities.

I'm not in a rush, here.. but I suppose January Clearances might not be a bad time to find something..

Any ideas are welcome..  8)
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend a Laptop
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 07:02:36 am »
I'd reccomend a factory level Dell laptop, with a i5 processor  or greater.  These models are usually stocked with buit-in camera, pre-installed software. Wire-less internet. Blu Ray DVD recordable capable.   Excellent Customer Service is a plus.

My Dell has a slower processor but I'm keeping my eyes set on a i7 in the near future.

My mother picked up a Dell laptop with Windows 8 but I'd advise caution because the OS is relatively very new and very buggy. I'd wait for further updates down the line in the 3rd fiscal quarter of next year.

Offline Maxine Shaw

• HEF Attorney-at-LOL
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend a Laptop
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 07:00:41 pm »
Blu-Rays on laptops are a waste, IMO. You rarely have the technology to fully appreciate BR on a laptop. I have one in my computer, but it's a home theater computer especially built for that kind of thing.

As for the new lappy, that's like asking for the best kind of DVD player. They're all so common nowadays that it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. I don't know what kind of editing you do, but I also do basic A/V editing and use Adobe CS6 (Master Collection) on the regular, and the Pavilion G7 is nothing to write home about.
She wanted attention and that's what she got. - more words of wisdom from HEF's favorite rape apologist TripleX