Author Topic: Spike Lee and His Hatership  (Read 14783 times)

Offline sherelled

• View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4555092605573&set=a.1551655401520.77168.1539197080&type=1&theater
Spike Lee and His Hatership
« on: December 25, 2012, 11:50:51 pm »
<script type='text/javascript' src='http://pshared.5min.com/Scripts/PlayerSeed.js?sid=203&amp;width=560&amp;height=345&amp;shuffle=0&amp;playList=517623587'></script>

I don't know if this link works. I need help every now and then on that. But any how this little Ninja has got his freakin' nerve. If he knows of any type of etiquette in the film industry. I have been told this is not done. You do not publicly and openly criticize one another. It's a respect thing. I am so sick of Black on Black crime. This guy enjoys getting his fifteen minutes of fame at someone Else's expense. So done with him and any other sell out that comes along. :-\

Offline Magic Wand

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Spike Lee and His Hatership
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 04:52:36 am »
Spike is either grossly misinformed......OR he is part of theclever machine that is helping to make this movie a hit.
Anyone that listens to the naysayers rant about excessive use of the N-word is a fool.  There was never a time in the film that the word was inappropriate.

If anything, the only thing that I considered slightly off, was Django's extensive vocabulary.  I mean....for a field slave, he knew a LOT of multi-syllable words that were unlikely to be used by the un-educated overseers.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle, Greek philosopher

Доверяй, но проверяй

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 05:11:29 am »
 ;)  Mr. Reggie and Mr. Spike go way back.  I'm sure Mr. Reg could convince him to come check the film out, private screening, etc.   :)
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 06:38:22 am »
;)  Mr. Reggie and Mr. Spike go way back.  I'm sure Mr. Reg could convince him to come check the film out, private screening, etc.   :)

Yep, first time I saw Mr. Hudlin was in Spike Lee's first commercial movie, "She's Gotta Have It".

Offline sherelled

• View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4555092605573&set=a.1551655401520.77168.1539197080&type=1&theater
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 07:28:53 am »
If anything, the only thing that I considered slightly off, was Django's extensive vocabulary.  I mean....for a field slave, he knew a LOT of multi-syllable words that were unlikely to be used by the un-educated overseers.

Interesting. I haven't seen the movie yet. But I must chuckle here. I'm glad there's a little "entertainment" left. Which means artist creativity allows for a little room to not be so "for real". If this movie had the vocabulary the Africans had back in the day"Uncle Toms Cabin for example" it would be a turn off to me.  The Africans shipped over here on those nasty "@$$" ships had to speak the best way they could (first generation) but their children and the children of their children had the opportunity to educate themselves secretly or not. So vocabulary improved through out the Slave and Anti Bellum years. Fast forward to today. I wish some of these youngin's would revise their vocabulary and leave some of the multi syllable words out. :o of their movies and recordings.

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 11:23:43 am »
Man I like Spike Lee and always have. He's willing to state the unfortunate truths that most people are either blind to, or unwilling to broadcast. I gotta say however that lately he does come off as a hater and I think that's affecting his artistic vision and box office viability.

Offline Rockscissorspaper

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 03:23:13 pm »
It's a respect thing. I am so sick of Black on Black crime.

Tarintino's black...?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 03:32:59 pm by Rockscissorspaper »
HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/comics

Offline sherelled

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 03:36:14 pm »
At Rockscissorpaper No but Spike Lee is and so is Mr. Hudlin ???

Offline Rockscissorspaper

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 04:03:04 pm »
Heh heh, of course. I can't see the video you posted, does Spike say something about Reginald Hudlin?  It's a movie written and directed by Tarintino, so I don't see the black on black crime. It's no secret that Spike and Tarintino have had issues in the past...
HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/comics

Offline sherelled

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 04:09:04 pm »
@RSP I am horrible when it comes to linking stuff. Just visit TMZ's website. Spike discusses his view.  :-[

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 06:51:21 pm »
Respectfully, to call Lee a "Hater" is dismissive at best and ridiculous at worst. Lee, is one of the greatest director's of his generation. He is a peer of Tarantino's in every measure save box-office and certaintly the superior of Perry in every facet of filmmaking.

I find that this whole phenomenon of calling someone a "Hater" is a simplistic means of ignoring statements and/or people one doesn't like.

What is the substantive argument you have against Lee's critique?

To the notion of filmmakers not calling each other out. In a word, UNTRUE! Tarantino for example does it all the time and very well at that. For an example look at his interview with Charlie Rose last Friday. Even more there is a brilliant series which does what you say is taboo for several episodes, it is titled UNDER THE INFLUENCE.

Offline sherelled

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 07:31:26 pm »
Mr Sergeant my issue with Spike Lee is this, his beef or disagreement with the producer of this movie because of language is his beef. When Spike himself did some of his movies, the N-word was used too. No matter, what ever. I would like us a people of color reserve our "hating" and I use the word as it is used in today's terminology meaning "criticizing" on a non so public forum. Tyler Perry is on his level as a movie producer. Spike is a movie producer in his own right. Reggie Hudlin is a producer in his right. What ever Spike has against Tarantino should be directed to him and not the movie.  My personal opinion is that Spike is an opportunist. He is seizing the opportunity to elevate his opinion which sheds negative light on a movie we can enjoy for entertainment. ::)

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 08:19:30 pm »
Mr Sergeant my issue with Spike Lee is this, his beef or disagreement with the producer of this movie because of language is his beef. When Spike himself did some of his movies, the N-word was used too. No matter, what ever. I would like us a people of color reserve our "hating" and I use the word as it is used in today's terminology meaning "criticizing" on a non so public forum. Tyler Perry is on his level as a movie producer. Spike is a movie producer in his own right. Reggie Hudlin is a producer in his right. What ever Spike has against Tarantino should be directed to him and not the movie.  My personal opinion is that Spike is an opportunist. He is seizing the opportunity to elevate his opinion which sheds negative light on a movie we can enjoy for entertainment. ::)

The comments that I saw lee make on the ED SHOW don't reflect your criticisms here. What Lee talked about in those clips was his not supporting DJANGO was a result of slavery being reduced to a "Sergio Leone spaghetti western".

What is implicit in Lee's remarks is that within the action/adventure/spaghetti western setting of Tarantino, slavery is made palatable. Even more, that may be the only context in which mainstream media gives the atrocity a major push in terms of a film.

I think your use of the word "Opportunist" is a bit off. An opportunist in this context would be some nobody looking to feed off of DJANGO and/or Tarantino's fame. Lee doesn't need Tarantino or DJANGO to give him a spotlight or legitimacy.

Offline sherelled

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2012, 08:47:28 pm »
Well Jefferson....I see you are staunchly defending the man. Again my point is why is Spike seizing this time to speak on a movie he has not even seen? Opportunist he is! Brookynite or not. Spike needs a cause to justify his "protection of his ancestors" Get some philanthropy projects going for those children in New York and New Jersey who are victims of the hurricane. Rather then addressing a movie he hasn't seen and is vocal about because he has a beef with Tarantino. Last I am going to say about Yo' Friend. ???

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2012, 11:17:20 pm »
Well Jefferson....I see you are staunchly defending the man. Again my point is why is Spike seizing this time to speak on a movie he has not even seen? Opportunist he is! Brookynite or not. Spike needs a cause to justify his "protection of his ancestors" Get some philanthropy projects going for those children in New York and New Jersey who are victims of the hurricane. Rather then addressing a movie he hasn't seen and is vocal about because he has a beef with Tarantino. Last I am going to say about Yo' Friend. ???

Spike Lee is not my friend despite the BK connection.

I am truly seeking to understand your viewpoint and not jump to any conclusions. The forum is made for debate and that is what I was hoping to have with you.

There is no animosity from my side whatsoever.

What really needs to happen is for Lee and Tarantino to face off in a one on one debate. Perhaps at the NYU film school if Tarantino isn't against Lee having homefield advantage.