Author Topic: Spike Lee and His Hatership  (Read 14797 times)

Offline sherelled

• View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4555092605573&set=a.1551655401520.77168.1539197080&type=1&theater
Re: Spike Lee and His Hatership
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2012, 12:02:03 am »
 :D No animosity from my side either. Yes, perhaps the suggestion you have would be a solution to the relationship Spike and Tarantino have. Hey, maybe Spike could get his movie game on. Time is overdue for him. :-\
Peace Man. I understand your point.  ;D I don't accept it but I understand.

Offline TripleX

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2012, 01:06:40 am »
Respectfully, to call Lee a "Hater" is dismissive at best and ridiculous at worst. Lee, is one of the greatest director's of his generation. He is a peer of Tarantino's in every measure save box-office and certaintly the superior of Perry in every facet of filmmaking.

I find that this whole phenomenon of calling someone a "Hater" is a simplistic means of ignoring statements and/or people one doesn't like.

What is the substantive argument you have against Lee's critique?

To the notion of filmmakers not calling each other out. In a word, UNTRUE! Tarantino for example does it all the time and very well at that. For an example look at his interview with Charlie Rose last Friday. Even more there is a brilliant series which does what you say is taboo for several episodes, it is titled UNDER THE INFLUENCE.

"Over the weekend, director Spike Lee told VibeTV that he refuses to see Quentin Tarantino’s “Django Unchained,” the violent slavery-era Western that came out on Tuesday. “I cant speak on it ’cause I’m not gonna see it,” he said. “All I’m going to say is that it’s disrespectful to my ancestors. That’s just me…I’m not speaking on behalf of anybody else.” Lee also tweeted: “American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western. It Was A Holocaust. My Ancestors Are Slaves. Stolen From Africa. I Will Honor Them.”

And the New York Times notes that “Django” makes use of a particularly offensive racial epithet at least 100 times over the course of the film — a point Lee has taken issue with before. The Hollywood Reporter notes that in 1997, following the release of Tarantino’s “Jackie Brown,” Lee said, “I have a definite problem with Quentin Tarantino’s excessive use of the n-word. And let the record state that I never said that he cannot use that word — I’ve used that word in many of my films — but I think something is wrong with him.”

Despite the controversy surrounding Tarantino’s latest film, “Django” has done surprisingly well in the box office, breaking the opening record for an R-rated release on Christmas Day."

How are you going to slam a movie you haven't even seen? That would be the textbook definition of a 'hater' if the word actually appeared in textbooks.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2012, 06:54:10 am »
See, Spike is an ELITIST not a populist. The last time  that he made a movie for the popular audience was Inside Man.

Now that its not the 90's anymore and pop culture has moved on from where he sits, Spike just doesn't know what to do with himself.

Now Spike is quite correct that the saga of slavery is a Holocaust that is deserving of its own answer to Shoah as a documentary or Shindler's List as a work of fiction (yes I know Shindler's List was based on a true story-they always change stuff in movies).

But what the #$%^ does ANY of that have to do with Django?

Tarantino has never made a film that wasn't artful violent genre pulp. Why would Django be any different? Moreover why SHOULD it be any different? If Fred Williamson and Jim Brown can make genre slavery westerns, why cant Jaime Foxx? Hell, Tarantino's last movie was about a bunch of badass Jews joining forces to kill Hitler. And he had them SUCEED on top of it(in gleeful defiance of History).

This is exactly where being an elitist @#$%s with Spike, IMO. To expect historical accuracy from Tarantino is...f*cking insane frankly.

The slavery movie that Spike wants to see, even if he could somehow get funding for it, would die at the box office because it would bum out both White and Black folk alike. I mean, even in the 90's Black audiences were rejecting stuff like Beloved at the box office because it was depressing. And that was when as I said pop culture was with Spike.

The dude has utterly missed the point of Django.  Its not trying to do the things that Spike thinks it should do nor is it the filmmaking product that he thinks it should be.

It's like going to a bikini store and being mad that there are no winter coats for sale there.     
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 06:58:28 am by Vic Vega »

Offline sherelled

• View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4555092605573&set=a.1551655401520.77168.1539197080&type=1&theater
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2012, 08:55:45 am »
XXX and Vega I ain't mad at chu.....I totally agree. I am proud that Mr. Hudlin had a part in a great movie. It is about time we have a movie where the Black Man doesn't get killed in the first scene. ;D

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2012, 09:03:13 am »
XXX and Vega I ain't mad at chu.....I totally agree. I am proud that Mr. Hudlin had a part in a great movie. It is about time we have a movie where the Black Man doesn't get killed in the first scene. ;D

Yep! :)

Mr.  Hudlin is a super-hero to me!

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2012, 09:04:00 am »

SPOILER

...or the last.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2012, 02:19:03 pm »
I don't think Spike is hating on Tarantino. To me, he's just saying how he feels and he's basing that on his opinion perhaps of Tarantino's previous work and probably some of his previous statements regarding the usage of the n-word. I look at it like this. If you had a bad experience at a restaurant would you go back there just because they are offering a new dish?

Spike is opinionated, and sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't, but I do like the fact that he's willing to say what's on his mind. I also don't see how Spike's pictures are elitist. Perhaps his heyday has passed him by, but that remains to be seen. Further, whether that's the case or not doesn't make his films 'elitist'. Perhaps you could say out of touch (which I don't believe is the case either), but not elitist. I think they are made for the masses. It just that the masses haven't wanted to see many of his latest ones.

His films-whatever your opinion about their quality-were major achievements in black cinema and helped start or contributed greatly to the careers of several A-list black actors. I do think we need mainstream/commercial films that do more than just entertain us. We also need films that challenge us, and some of Spike's films have done that, more so than any other black director of the last 20-30 years (with the possible exception of John Singleton's early work).

Offline sherelled

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2012, 03:08:46 pm »
I don't think Spike is hating on Tarantino. To me, he's just saying how he feels and he's basing that on his opinion perhaps of Tarantino's previous work and probably some of his previous statements regarding the usage of the n-word. I look at it like this. If you had a bad experience at a restaurant would you go back there just because they are offering a new dish?

???The point is everyone.  The question is why now? Why shed any negativity on a MOVIE HE REFUSES TO SEE. The love or hate of Tarantino is mute.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2012, 04:18:12 pm »
^
To me, Spike is commenting on the film because it's out right now, and it's getting a lot of mention in the media. Even if he voiced criticisms about it years later some people would feel he was hating still.

From what I get from what I've read about Spike's comments he's voicing concern about the trivializing of slavery. I had similar concerns, especially coming from Tarantino. I don't think slavery was trivialized necessarily in the spaghetti Western format of Django though. I think it was an interesting way to wrap up this story of slavery and black revenge to make it less threatening to white filmgoers, while for the most part not minimizing the brutality of slavery in the process. It was like a only Nixon can go to China thing. Where unfortunately a black filmmaker probably couldn't get Django made, or the film wouldn't get lauded like Django is (John Singleton's Rosewood comes to mind).

I think the antebellum period is open to explore all manner of stories, though I hope that where slavery is concerned the proper respect is given regarding the depiction of blacks, slave and free. What I would like to see are more black filmmakers taking on this period, and quite frankly, all of that rich pre-slavery history that never gets touched on, much less talked about. And if they have to wrap it inside of a genre film to get it made, that's one compromise I can live with.

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2012, 08:45:38 pm »
See, Spike is an ELITIST not a populist. The last time  that he made a movie for the popular audience was Inside Man.

Now that its not the 90's anymore and pop culture has moved on from where he sits, Spike just doesn't know what to do with himself.

Now Spike is quite correct that the saga of slavery is a Holocaust that is deserving of its own answer to Shoah as a documentary or Shindler's List as a work of fiction (yes I know Shindler's List was based on a true story-they always change stuff in movies).

But what the #$%^ does ANY of that have to do with Django?

Tarantino has never made a film that wasn't artful violent genre pulp. Why would Django be any different? Moreover why SHOULD it be any different? If Fred Williamson and Jim Brown can make genre slavery westerns, why cant Jaime Foxx? Hell, Tarantino's last movie was about a bunch of badass Jews joining forces to kill Hitler. And he had them SUCEED on top of it(in gleeful defiance of History).

This is exactly where being an elitist @#$%s with Spike, IMO. To expect historical accuracy from Tarantino is...f*cking insane frankly.

The slavery movie that Spike wants to see, even if he could somehow get funding for it, would die at the box office because it would bum out both White and Black folk alike. I mean, even in the 90's Black audiences were rejecting stuff like Beloved at the box office because it was depressing. And that was when as I said pop culture was with Spike.

The dude has utterly missed the point of Django.  Its not trying to do the things that Spike thinks it should do nor is it the filmmaking product that he thinks it should be.

It's like going to a bikini store and being mad that there are no winter coats for sale there.   

Agreed. I loved the movie.

APEXABYSS

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2012, 07:58:00 am »

too funny!

obviously, tarantino doesn't give a sh*t. neither does lee. Of course his slave ‘era’ film would generate controversy. he probably wanted to make a film with high degrees of shock value. howard stern built a multimillion dollar career off of his brand of shock. stern is still known as a “shock-jock.” that path is not for the faint at heart.

damned if you do, damned if you don't... I just hope they both keep making controversial films. "brooklyn, we go hard, we go hard" -- jay z

red hook summer at wal-mart.

Offline Mastrmynd

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Check my new site www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com
    • View Profile
    • http://arvellpoe.atspace.com/
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2012, 08:22:30 pm »
I need Spike to make Inside Man 2 like he said he was going to do.
:)
That is all.

Listen to my entertaining radio show, "The Takeover: Top 20 Countdown" at www.top20takeover.VVCRadio.com.

Right on to the real and death to the fakers!  Peace out!

Offline Greg

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2012, 12:01:19 pm »
That is all.

I recall reading he was having trouble getting funding or approval from the company to make the sequel.

Offline Kristopher

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2012, 01:15:53 pm »
That is all.

I recall reading he was having trouble getting funding or approval from the company to make the sequel.

I read/heard the same thing. Funny, he gives Hollywood what they ask for(successful movie) and they still pull bullsh*t on him. He can't win no matter what.

Offline Rockscissorspaper

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2012, 04:57:39 pm »
Seems like he's pissed a lot of hollywood bigwigs off. Not being able to get funding for a sequel to a succesful Denzel Washington ovie...? That's some ol' buuulllsheeeeeeeeeeeeeet.
HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/comics