Author Topic: FRONTLINE: Michelle Rhee Documentary( Oprah's personal pal)  (Read 6785 times)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: FRONTLINE: Michelle Rhee Documentary( Oprah's personal pal)
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 12:45:41 pm »

It is a struggle between good and evil. Anyone that would seek to exploit the most vulnerable among us as a means of enriching millionaires/billionaires is an evil person. Anyone who acts as a demagogue while disenfranchising those they rail against is an evil person. There is no degree of relativisim that can be applied to what is taking place in the privatization movement.

Thank you for your insight.

I had no idea that Michelle Rhee was part of a process that will create a rift between the middle class and the poor. :(

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 01:01:02 pm »

It is a struggle between good and evil. Anyone that would seek to exploit the most vulnerable among us as a means of enriching millionaires/billionaires is an evil person. Anyone who acts as a demagogue while disenfranchising those they rail against is an evil person. There is no degree of relativisim that can be applied to what is taking place in the privatization movement.

I had no idea that Michelle Rhee was part of a process that will create a rift between the middle class and the poor. :(

Thank Curtis when Rhee, Broad, and Gates succesfully buy all the public school boards in America and transform kids into ATM for Millionaires/Billionaires.

Wait, was that me ranting again?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 04:19:11 pm by jefferson L.O.B. sergeant »

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 02:33:33 pm »

Don't get it twisted: The Middle Class' sense of self preservation (such as it is) is what will create has created a rift between the middle class and the poor.

The people with better economic circumstances are going to demand a better quality of...everything and they are not trying to listen to screaming about fairness. They paid more into the system (thru taxes) so they think therefore they should get more. Not everybody is worried about the next guy, or as a commenter on a another website I frequent stated: "I didn't move here (Harlem) to put myself in somebody else's shoes".

Michelle Rhee to me is a symptom of a much bigger issue economically, IMO.

The standard public educational system is seen as underperforming by any metric you want to name. So nobody wants to hear the excuses of the insiders who are seen to be representing a failed system. I personally know of too many eff up teachers protected by the system to have too much sympathy for them as a whole myself. For every one Sam Wilson or J.S. there are probably 3 eff ups who in a sane world would be terminated. 

For a guy like Bill Gates, education is a net loss there are easier ways to make a buck if you are Bill Gates. It is mainly that he sees an inefficient system and he wants it gone.  There is the feeling among many that private enterprise can do what a public system has failed to.

Now what needs to happen is an honest dialogue between all the parties involved but again I don't see that happening. Everybody has got an angle. Like, if somebody told you that you kid belonged someplace other than an academic insititution so that some kid who can actually excel there can have the space, you as a parent will want to murder them.   That smacks way too much of social programming for people as I see it. But this "one size fits all stuff" doesn't make any sense to me either.

@#$% it, if you told some of these kids out here that they could make ligit money as a Plumber, Car Mechanic, Electrician or what not and you don't think you will have engaged students? It also has not excaped my notice how...monochromatic the membership of unions like the Carpenters and Electricians Unions are.  I don't hear anybody taking about Vocational High Schools at all in all of this and that sets off all kind of alarms bells with me.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 02:36:30 pm by Vic Vega »

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 02:47:34 pm »
Now what needs to happen is an honest dialogue between all the parties involved but again I don't see that happening. Everybody has got an angle. Like, if somebody told you that you kid belonged someplace other than an academic insititution so that some kid who can actually excel there can have the space, you as a parent will want to murder them.   That smacks way too much of social programming for people as I see it. But this "one size fits all stuff" doesn't make any sense to me either.

@#$% it, if you told some of these kids out here that they could make ligit money as a Plumber, Car Mechanic, Electrician or what not and you don't think you will have engaged students? It also has not excaped my notice how...monochromatic the membership of unions like the Carpenters and Electricians Unions are.  I don't hear anybody taking about Vocational High Schools at all in all of this and that sets off all kind of alarms bells with me.

I agree.
I'll keep this opinion in mind.
Thanks.

Offline Maxine Shaw

• HEF Attorney-at-LOL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 03:13:10 pm »
She wanted attention and that's what she got. - more words of wisdom from HEF's favorite rape apologist TripleX

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 08:23:06 am »
You want to improve the educational experience of the kids? Improve the lives of the parents, economically.

The amount of drama that goes on in the life of a family who is REALLY up against it can and will effect their children. Progressive advocates with an interest in education should probably focus thier effort of advocating for 10 dollar an hour national minimum wage.

Everything else is just a turf war between parents, unionized teachers and management.

In yesterday's State of the Union address, Obama called for both manditory pre-schools of some sort and an increase of the Nationa Minimum Wage to 9 dollars an hour.

It will be interesting to see what the Progressives and Education advocates do with this.

Offline Metro

• View Profile
    • Monmouth University
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 11:52:56 am »

We're about 20 years past the place of 'seeking to exploit.'  Nearly 2.5 billion people are currently living sources of income for less than 1,000 billionaires on the planet.

Warren Buffett publicly acknowledged this fact during the presidential campaign last year.

Perhaps the defense of American public schools can be a starting point to reverse the patterns of the last forty years, but I'd like to start with reducing the cost of living for households earning under $100k and start teaching financial mechanics/entrepreneurship in late elementary school, so that more children build the economic resilience to shift global capital flow.

Absent that, massive, violent revolution may be the only alternative to defend the principle of human equality.
Dean Walter Greason
The Honors School
Monmouth University
(twitter) @worldprofessor

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 04:58:02 pm »

We're about 20 years past the place of 'seeking to exploit.'  Nearly 2.5 billion people are currently living sources of income for less than 1,000 billionaires on the planet.

Warren Buffett publicly acknowledged this fact during the presidential campaign last year.

Perhaps the defense of American public schools can be a starting point to reverse the patterns of the last forty years, but I'd like to start with reducing the cost of living for households earning under $100k and start teaching financial mechanics/entrepreneurship in late elementary school, so that more children build the economic resilience to shift global capital flow.

Absent that, massive, violent revolution may be the only alternative to defend the principle of human equality.

The realities you address here is what makes the actions of education privatizers and their proxy's so perverse. They are fully aware of the transformative power of education and yet they actively seek to rob the majority of Americans from accessing that power.

Teaching kids about the basic dynamics of profit at their expense involved in their daily trips to the corner store and Chinese restaraunt is always a great starting point.