Author Topic: Mark Millar Says "Justice League of America" Movie is a Waste of Money  (Read 4930 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Mark Millar Says "Justice League of America" Movie is a Waste of Money
Posted: February 6th, 2013 by WorstPreviews.com Staff

Mark Millar, the creator of such comic books as "Wanted" and "Kick-Ass," was recently hired by 20th Century Fox to oversee their superhero properties. Now, in an interview with Sci-Fi Now, Millar commented on Warner Bros' upcoming "Justice League of America" movie, stating that it's a waste of money.

"I actually think the big problem for them is the characters are just too out of date," he said. "The characters were created 75 years ago, even the newest major character was created 68 years ago, so they're in a really weird time. The actual logistics of each member of the Justice League is disastrous, and you put them all together and I think you get an excellent way of losing $200 million."

Millar went on to say that he was a huge fan of the DC comics, but doesn't believe they can translate well to the big screen. He pointed out that Green Lantern's power is silly and that fight sequences usually consist of the character manifesting weapons from a distance. "The best one is definitely Aquaman," he continued. "Aquaman can't even talk under water. In comics it's fine, you just have a speech balloon, but how do you have Atlantis and people talking under water? Are they gonna talk telepathically?"

Read more: http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=27418#ixzz2KF11UA00

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
Re: Mark Millar Says "Justice League of America" Movie is a Waste of Money
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 11:44:15 am »
"I actually think the big problem for them is the characters are just too out of date," he said. "The characters were created 75 years ago, even the newest major character was created 68 years ago, so they're in a really weird time. The actual logistics of each member of the Justice League is disastrous, and you put them all together and I think you get an excellent way of losing $200 million."

Cyborg, the newest major JLA character, was created in the 80s, not 68 years ago.

It's funny that he has such a problem with the characters being old.  The movies franchises he is in charge of are 52 years old (Fantastic Four) and 50 years old (X-Men)...not exactly spring chickens.  Hell Captain America is 72 years old.  The success or failure of the movie comes from the quality of the creators and script. 

His arguments about Green Lantern and Aquaman seem trivial.  Green Lantern didn't fail because of his powers, it failed because of how the movie was executed. He could have made snarky comments about Hawkeye (a guy with a bow and arrow in the 21st century) and the Black Widow (a Russian spy trying to compete with gods).  But the Avengers movie made it work and the same thing could easily happen with the Justice League.

He also doesn't mention Superman, Batman or Wonder Woman.  Those are characters you might want to bring up when discussing a Justice League movie.  This is Millar trying to grab headlines and trying to tear down the competition.  Let's not forget, his franchises (4 X-films and 1 FF film) made a combined $1.8 billion (approximately) while the three batman (a shockingly old character) films made about $2.5 billion.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 12:07:26 pm »
All dc characters are a waste of time & money.

I've been sayin' this for decades.

Offline Rockscissorspaper

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 12:17:33 pm »
Let's not forget, his franchises (4 X-films and 1 FF film) made a combined $1.8 billion (approximately) while the three batman (a shockingly old character) films made about $2.5 billion.

I know it was highly forgettable, but FF had 2 films
HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/comics

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 12:28:03 pm »
One of those batman movies, (I think it was batman & robin), I literally fell asleep while in a San Diego movie theater... snoring.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 12:56:51 pm »
One of those batman movies, (I think it was batman & robin), I literally fell asleep while in a San Diego movie theater... snoring.

I was referring to the new Batman franchise.  Batman and Robin was indeed an abomination. 

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 01:01:04 pm »
Let's not forget, his franchises (4 X-films and 1 FF film) made a combined $1.8 billion (approximately) while the three batman (a shockingly old character) films made about $2.5 billion.

I know it was highly forgettable, but FF had 2 films

oooops!  Thanks for reminding me.  If Galactus had actually been a giant purple dude in the movie, I never would have forgotten it  :D

APEXABYSS

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 01:28:12 pm »

Cyborg, the newest major JLA character, was created in the 80s, not 68 years ago.

It's funny that he has such a problem with the characters being old.  The movies franchises he is in charge of are 52 years old (Fantastic Four) and 50 years old (X-Men)...not exactly spring chickens.  Hell Captain America is 72 years old.  The success or failure of the movie comes from the quality of the creators and script. 

His arguments about Green Lantern and Aquaman seem trivial.  Green Lantern didn't fail because of his powers, it failed because of how the movie was executed. He could have made snarky comments about Hawkeye (a guy with a bow and arrow in the 21st century) and the Black Widow (a Russian spy trying to compete with gods).  But the Avengers movie made it work and the same thing could easily happen with the Justice League.

He also doesn't mention Superman, Batman or Wonder Woman.  Those are characters you might want to bring up when discussing a Justice League movie.  This is Millar trying to grab headlines and trying to tear down the competition.  Let's not forget, his franchises (4 X-films and 1 FF film) made a combined $1.8 billion (approximately) while the three batman (a shockingly old character) films made about $2.5 billion.

"a billi"-- jay z

I know the “Man of Steel” movie is coming up… hope it does well.

Maybe, M. Night Shyamalan’s "After Earth" can help developers with possible BP movie.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 03:45:02 pm »
Those are all trivial issues.

The real problem is the DC movies were all designed as individual works. The Marvel movies aren't.

Now that isn't all that revolutionary. The Universal Horror movies with Frankenstein and those guys were all about crossovers with other Universal Monsters. The 60's Godzilla flicks are designed the same way. Rodan gets a movie, next thing you know, he is teaming up with Godzilla to fight Gedorah in Godzilla's movie.

DC didnt design the Green Lantern film to be part of a greater whole. Nolan's Batman film aren't designed that way either. It's not looking like the upcoming Superman movie is gonna get the ball rolling either.

DC would have been better off basing its movies off Smallville. That gets you more than halfway to a Justice League movie. Just recast everybody but Clark and Lois.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 03:55:31 pm »
DC would have been better off basing its movies off Smallville. That gets you more than halfway to a Justice League movie. Just recast everybody but Clark and Lois.

Agreed.

As much as I can't stand dc characters, Smallville was the best presentation of those characters.
I'm mean, did anyone see that atrocity, 'superman returns'?!

...and this was when 'Smallville' was still fairly popular!

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 05:41:38 pm »
Around the time that Superman Returns came out I was thinking they should've just transitioned Smallville to the big screen instead. It already had a solid fan base, at that time, and by making it a Superman movie it would bring in non-Smallville, but pro-Superman fans, and some casual fans too. Alas, they didn't go that route.

I think a Justice League movie is just as doable as an Avengers or X-Men movie. I think they should just do the opposite of the Marvel method and just put out a Justice League movie with having other films set it up. DC has had an issue with making their characters more down to earth, but to be fair DC has been working on that problem for a long time now. Though sometimes I think we just go with the conventional wisdom that Marvel's characters are more relatable (sp).

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 07:46:24 pm »

Lol, I did as well.  :)

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 08:03:05 pm »
Lookahere...

Just jack one of those Dwayne McDuffie stories from the Justice League cartoon and this should be fine.

And throw some money (Yes stacks of money clips) at Nolan and Bale to ride or die like Downey Jr. did for The Avengers.

Is it really that hard... Bale says he's done with Batman but that is until the money makes him the highest paid actor in Hollywood on the backend percentage points.

I literally bet you with Bale on board he could even balance out Ryan Reynolds campiness if they shared screen time together... Add Superman's boy scout attitude with a strong Wonder Woman casting and we are halfway there.

Dang DC... Compete you are getting bodied like a deaf mute rapper battling Jay Z! 8)

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod

Offline Ed

• View Profile
I think by the time Justice League actually happens the audiences might be burned out by all the marvel movies coming out. It will make money but unless Bruce Timm is in charge of production, i'm not going to see it