Author Topic: Where is the Blue Marvel?  (Read 17311 times)

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Where is the Blue Marvel?
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 09:24:18 pm »
I have the perfect setup for Blue Marvel's return.

No, no, this is the REAL perfect setup.

in 2014, Blue Marvel KILLS Wolverine.

Logan, O'roro and Blue Marvel are involved in a love triangle. Tensions flare and somebody's got to go!

That somebody is Logan.

Love triangle=controversy. Controversy=cash!

This post may or may not be approved by the creator of Blue Marvel.

Online JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 09:28:53 pm »
Where is Kevin Grevioux, anyway?

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 01:43:59 am »

Doing the voice of Black Beetle in Young Justice and doing I, Frankenstein.

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Seven

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Haters gonna hate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 07:53:16 am »

Dude is a talent.

Online JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 08:53:57 pm »

Him voicing Black Beetle, I knew about. I, Frankenstein is new to me.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2013, 05:57:51 pm »
I am not sure I would want anyone else writing Blue Marvel, or rather, I am not sure anyone elsse can.  As I remember, the point of the character was how would America in the Civil Rights Movement of the 60s react to a Black man with the power of Superman.  Moving him out of that storyline means redefining the character and I am not sure someone else should touch him until after his creator has the opportunity to firmly establish him.  Those two or three appearances, aren't enough.

Hickman's good and probably would do him justice, but he might take him in a different way.

I disagree. I think that Grevioux's mini did establish the character. And he left it wide open for new Blue Marvel adventures. Grevioux did establish his past well enough and also moved him into contemporary times. Also he has cameoed in a couple other places. I think the character is ripe to explore his reintroduction, or rather first time introduction in the Marvel Universe of the 21st century.

Offline Pantherfan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 05:37:06 am »
I think Marvel is intimidated by him or the writers are. It seems like they like using black characters with boundaries like Luke Cage or Black Panther. A black character who's cosmic level  and can stand toe to toe with Thor or Gladiator, they want nothing to do with. Why? I heard on Matt Fraction's run on the Mighty Avengers he planned to have Blue Marvel on the team, but his run was cut short before that could happen.

I would like to see Blue Marvel as a member of The Avengers or maybe his own ongoing series, but no one at the moment knows what to do with Blue Marvel. The last thing I want to see is him being used as cannon fodder because the next big Marvel event calls for a hero to die.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 05:54:44 am »
I think Marvel is intimidated by him or the writers are. It seems like they like using black characters with boundaries like Luke Cage or Black Panther. A black character who's cosmic level  and can stand toe to toe with Thor or Gladiator, they want nothing to do with. Why? I heard on Matt Fraction's run on the Mighty Avengers he planned to have Blue Marvel on the team, but his run was cut short before that could happen.

I would like to see Blue Marvel as a member of The Avengers or maybe his own ongoing series, but no one at the moment knows what to do with Blue Marvel. The last thing I want to see is him being used as cannon fodder because the next big Marvel event calls for a hero to die.

I agree with a lot of what you've just said. Though I think that the only boundaries that Panther and Luke Cage have are those that are placed on them by Marvel. Though to the larger point of having cosmic powers, Blue Marvel is definitely on another level in that regard. (However, Panther does have some space legs too). I also don't want to see Blue Marvel be sacrificed for a Marvel event, a la Black Goliath.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2013, 10:33:05 am »
That is definitely a danger of that.  By making him so powerful, if you want to establish him the power level of a threat, killing Blue Marvel would do it.

The three things that are a detriment to Blue Marvel (besides the obvious)

1) He is a retroactively created character.  Not everyone likes them; the last guy like this was turned evil and killed.

2) His powers aren't well defined.  He's Superman but he has other powers that I don't get what they are.

3) His initials aren't the best, and characters tend to be called by their abbreviations.  And his abbreviation isn't something that is anyone wants to use.

Plus a fourth one is the character hasn't been without contraversay.  Even on this board, some of the posters didn't like what he represents. 

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2013, 11:38:51 am »
1) He is a retroactively created character.  Not everyone likes them; the last guy like this was turned evil and killed.

That's my biggest problem with the character. I only read the series once, but if I remember correctly hasn't he been around this whole time choosing not to be a hero?  That becomes problematic when you consider he was just sitting on his butt during things like Onslaught or Galactus coming to Earth for the umpteenth time.  Doesn't seem very heroic.  Forgive me if that has already been addressed in the comics and I missed it.

Offline moneyspider

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2013, 12:15:57 pm »
That is definitely a danger of that.  By making him so powerful, if you want to establish him the power level of a threat, killing Blue Marvel would do it.

2) His powers aren't well defined.  He's Superman but he has other powers that I don't get what they are.

3) His initials aren't the best, and characters tend to be called by their abbreviations.  And his abbreviation isn't something that is anyone wants to use.

Plus a fourth one is the character hasn't been without contraversay.  Even on this board, some of the posters didn't like what he represents.

If writers and editorial don't want to use Blue Marvel because of his initials, then they are unprofessional. Also, just don't abbreviate his name to two initials. Also, any poster on comic book forums abbreviating Blue Marvel's name to BM are probably ones who don't like the character anyway (for a variety of reasons) and just want to laugh and make fun of his character. Those types of posters are immature.

Also, Black Swan's initials are BS, but that's not stopping a writer from using the character. I also have not seen anyone snickering at Black Swan and using the abbreviation "BS" to make fun of her.

And as far as Blue Marvel's powers not being well-defined, I agree, but that's basically Marvel Entertainment's fault for not giving Kevin Grevioux or other writers more chances to write the character so that we could learn more about Blue Marvel's powers. We won't learn more about the character until we are shown more of the character.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 12:25:21 pm by moneyspider »

Offline moneyspider

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2013, 12:27:32 pm »

That's my biggest problem with the character. I only read the series once, but if I remember correctly hasn't he been around this whole time choosing not to be a hero?  That becomes problematic when you consider he was just sitting on his butt during things like Onslaught or Galactus coming to Earth for the umpteenth time.  Doesn't seem very heroic.  Forgive me if that has already been addressed in the comics and I missed it.

I think one of the best ways thay could explain why the Blue Marvel did not participate in any of the "big" events in the Marvel Universe was that he was off-world, having adventures on other planets (perhaps even other universes). When he "retired" on Earth when President Kenndy asked him to, he took his powers and skills off-world to help alien species who needed a protector.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2013, 12:54:54 pm »
There was some talk outside of comics that he was active, just behind the scenes, but since that was not in the comics, it isn't cannon and that is one of the contraversies around the character.

Black Swan's initals are "Kewl" or naughty, so no danger there; BM?  Not a good reference.   Blue makes me think of a horse.  I don't know why.  Marv, Marvel make people think of another character.

Plus Black Swan is a one writer character so far; we will have to wait to see if anyone other than Hickman writers her (or if she even survives this story.)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2013, 07:12:58 pm »
There was some talk outside of comics that he was active, just behind the scenes, but since that was not in the comics, it isn't cannon and that is one of the contraversies around the character.

Black Swan's initals are "Kewl" or naughty, so no danger there; BM?  Not a good reference.   Blue makes me think of a horse.  I don't know why.  Marv, Marvel make people think of another character.

Plus Black Swan is a one writer character so far; we will have to wait to see if anyone other than Hickman writers her (or if she even survives this story.)

If I recall correctly the idea that Blue Marvel might have been doing things offworld or behind the scenes was floated at least in the Blue Marvel thread that was running at the time of the miniseries on this forum. I don't know about any others. I'm going out on a limb here and speculating that Grevioux had more Blue Marvel stories to tell that might have shown what Blue Marvel was up to, but Marvel so far hasn't been interested.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2013, 07:17:56 pm »

1) I do agree that Blue Marvel's origin and seeming power set is a bit too similar to Sentry, and Sentry was a character didn't seem all that beloved by a great swath of fans. That being said, he got a lot of prominent exposure and even become the main villain in Siege. It would be great if Blue Marvel got half of that.

2) I think this is an issue of the character being underused. If Marvel cared to define his powers they would do so. That being said, having an unclear power set isn't always a bad thing. Though from what we got or know of Blue Marvel's powers right now, they got a good basis to build from. And he could be Marvel's true Superman, with the nobility angle that Sentry never really had.

3) I'm not sure what's up with the abbreviations. Is this something writers wouldn't want to use or fans?