Author Topic: For Curtis Metcalf and other Charter School supporters  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
Re: For Curtis Metcalf and other Charter School supporters
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 02:33:54 pm »
Here's the money quote from the Reuters article:
Many charters, backed by state law, specialize in serving low-income and minority children. Some of the best-known charter networks, such as KIPP, Yes Prep, Green Dot and Success Academy, use simple application forms that ask little more than name, grade and contact information, and actively seek out disadvantaged families. Most for-profit charter school chains also keep applications brief.

But stand-alone charters, which account for more than half the total in the United States, make up their own admissions policies. Regulations are often vague, oversight is often lax - and principals can get quite creative.

Every time we try to have this discussion, you attempt to tar the very notion of charter schools with the results and practices of the worst. I try to point out that charter schools are not monolithic and that charters are only an alternative mechanism of oversight. I have expressed my belief that while charters cannot replace public schools for most students, they can serve a valuable role in prototyping educational innovations.

But because I'm not chugging JS's particular brand of Haterade (bless his heart), that somehow makes me a charter school apologist. Sure, that's rational and reasonable.

To recap the prior discussion, it's not surprising in the least that charter schools on average perform about the same as regular public schools on average. That is, some perform better, some worse, and some about the same. We should be looking at the ones (charter and otherwise) that perform better to understand what they're doing right and whether it can be incorporated into all schools.

That's an education discussion I'm interested in. So go ahead and conduct your little crusade without me please. When/if you want to participate in the grown up discussion, then I'll be interested in your thoughts.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 04:53:29 pm »
I don't want to engage in a rant so I provided the work of others to illuminate the situation.

By the way, charters do NOT perform as well as public schools, it is not even close despite their practices. I believe the most definitive study is from Stanford and the average rate of success is 17%.

Offline Mr. Peejay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 03:38:38 pm »
Charter Schools are in place to rid the system of Union Workers. They take money from the Education Budget, and do not help the Public School "Problem". Charter Schools be damned!

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 08:33:37 pm »
Charter Schools are in place to rid the system of Union Workers. They take money from the Education Budget, and do not help the Public School "Problem". Charter Schools be damned!

Welcome, Mr. Peejay!

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 06:49:33 am »

Why is problem in quotes?

In many instances its the parents of kids in the Publlic School system that are voting with thier feet.

If the TV or the Mayor or the Secretary of Education or whoever says "the Public School System is failing" you can write it off as propaganda. If your buddies who are parents of Public School kids in the system and your buds who used to work in the system mostly say the same thing, what am I going to say then?

And I'll be the first one to say that Union Busting is a big part of this Charter School movement. You are 100% right there.

But lots of these striving Parents badly want their kids out of the system and somebody needs to honestly ask why without blaming outsiders for it.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 09:56:14 pm »

Why is problem in quotes?

In many instances its the parents of kids in the Publlic School system that are voting with thier feet.

If the TV or the Mayor or the Secretary of Education or whoever says "the Public School System is failing" you can write it off as propaganda. If your buddies who are parents of Public School kids in the system and your buds who used to work in the system mostly say the same thing, what am I going to say then?

And I'll be the first one to say that Union Busting is a big part of this Charter School movement. You are 100% right there.

But lots of these striving Parents badly want their kids out of the system and somebody needs to honestly ask why without blaming outsiders for it.

The paradigm surrounding public education in America is fundamentally flawed. You have a system that isn't preparing students to think critically, introspectively, or uniquely, kids are being trained to be compliant second market wage workers. Even more importantly there is an economic incentive for schools to fail, a perfect example can be seen with Vic's neighbor, Eva Moskowitz.

Eva Moskowitz, preys on communities in Harlem that have been underserved and overburdened and offers them salvation in the form of a charter. What she doesn't want is for the existing NON FOR PROFIT public schools to be improved but rather be replaced for the benefit of hedge fund managers and millioniares/billionaires in general. If one is truly concerned about helping students you would implement reform where most of them can be reached, namely public schools. What Moskowitz and her cohorts are doing is similar to a garbage can hustle that took place when I was a kid. Garbage cans suddenly started disappearing in our neighborhood and about 2 weeks later some "Gentleman" started offering residents deals on new garbage cans. Coincidence? I think not. In similar fashion Moskowitz and even more perversely public school officials are closing public schools leaving parents with very little options outside of a charter.

If you want to see an abomination in the form of a "Mockumentary" watch THE LOTTERY it is currently on cable and is one of the most disturbing films I've ever seen. It takes a special kind of animal to use children as a prop to push an agenda that ultimately harms them.