Author Topic: Samsung Galaxy III Won't Display Forum Videos  (Read 2017 times)

Offline michaelintp

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Samsung Galaxy III Won't Display Forum Videos
« on: February 20, 2013, 05:27:04 pm »
I've noticed that my samsung galaxy 3 phone will not display the videos posted on threads here in the forum. The posted videos play fine on my home computer.  on my phone, there is just a big blank space where the video should be displayed - you know, the display that looks like the YouTube page with the button you click for the video to play.

does anyone know why this is, and whether there some fix?  By the way, I tried it with both the Google browser at the Opera Browser and the problem exists with both, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with the browser. I'm wondering if the phone is just not compatible with whatever program the forum is using to create a video on the screen?

Thanks,
Mike
The spirit of emptiness is immortal.
It is called the Great Mother
because it gives birth to Heaven and Earth.
It is like a vapor,
barely seen but always present.
Use it effortlessly.

Tao Te Ching, Ch. 6

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Samsung Galaxy III Won't Display Forum Videos
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 06:21:35 am »
I've noticed that my samsung galaxy 3 phone will not display the videos posted on threads here in the forum. The posted videos play fine on my home computer.  on my phone, there is just a big blank space where the video should be displayed - you know, the display that looks like the YouTube page with the button you click for the video to play.

does anyone know why this is, and whether there some fix?  By the way, I tried it with both the Google browser at the Opera Browser and the problem exists with both, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with the browser. I'm wondering if the phone is just not compatible with whatever program the forum is using to create a video on the screen?

Thanks,
Mike

Do you have the flash player app installed on your phone?

Try installing that (you can get it for free at the Google Play store) if you don't.

Offline michaelintp

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 08:34:45 am »
That has to be.the problem. But look at this article from PC World. I'm not sure if I should download Flash Player from a third-party source. Article says not to. I wonder if the forum will move to the new protocol?

Android Flash Player RIP:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/260901/android_flash_player_rip_how_to_get_it_now_that_its_gone.html
The spirit of emptiness is immortal.
It is called the Great Mother
because it gives birth to Heaven and Earth.
It is like a vapor,
barely seen but always present.
Use it effortlessly.

Tao Te Ching, Ch. 6

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 12:07:53 pm »
That has to be.the problem. But look at this article from PC World. I'm not sure if I should download Flash Player from a third-party source. Article says not to. I wonder if the forum will move to the new protocol?

Android Flash Player RIP:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/260901/android_flash_player_rip_how_to_get_it_now_that_its_gone.html

Lots of places still use Flash (including the HEF), whether or not Apple thinks its obsolete and as long as Youtube isn't 100% HTML 5, nobody else will be either.

I'd suggest trying to Adobe Flash Player (Vers 10-11.1) at places like freeware lovers. com if you aren't too squimish about possibly getting malware. I've used them plenty (mainly to get a version of Netflix that isn't buggy) and I have not had any problems yet. That said, there IS still a risk. 

Google Chrome plays HTML5 so there is that as an option.

Hope this helps.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 11:17:05 am »
I wonder if the forum will move to the new protocol?
HEF uses software that embeds video served from other sources. That is, we don't have any control over the video formats employed, we merely relay the content from the source sites.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."