Author Topic: priest is back  (Read 16750 times)

Offline sinjection

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: priest is back
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 07:15:56 am »
oh yea the falcon limited series is also one of the best limited series marvel produced in the 80s even had us thinking falcon was a mutant for a while.

Was that the series featuring the rich blonde lady that Falcon nearly collided with while executing a power dive?
Reginald Hudlin's Black Panther IS THE Black Panther

Offline bluezulu

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 03:47:54 pm »
hey here is a few words from priest on his site that talks about why he isnt in the industry right now and his thoughts on milestone. its a shame to this brother needs to get re-energized because in my mind there are no dumb or lame pitches for a comic story and also who best to write a black character then a black guy? the guys over at comic book resources and newsarama are busting nuts over bendis's portrayel of cage (it is good by the way) but will rip reg a new one by his similar portrayel of him? anyway here it is:

Matt: I disagree somewhat with Joe's assertion. I think people hire what they know. People replicate themselves and what they value in their lives. When seeking to hire someone, people tend to look for people with qualities they value in themselves. That’s why both majors have so very much inbreeding: there are maybe two or three types of staffers, generally speaking, and they run in tribal lines because, every time someone is fired or leaves, those who remain or those who move up hire someone who looks and acts a lot like they do, who embody the values they embody. In other words, it is not typical that they hire outside of their tribe.

This is chiefly why mainstream comics have become so homogenous over the years. If there is indeed gender and ethnic diversity, it doesn’t seem to transcend the tribal lines, which remain fairly intact. Okay, maybe you’ve got an Asian guy on staff, but he’s of the Carlin Tribe. Here’s a black woman, but she’s clearly of the Quesada-Alonso Tribe, which has a different sensibility than the Brevoort Tribe.

These tribal lines are the ghosts that wander the halls of Marvel and DC, the little cliques. It’s not abut gender or skin color or sexual orientation—it’s about your tribe. Your sensibilities. Traditionalist or progressive? Are you one of those editors who are star-struck fans or are you a Brevoortean pro, more concerned about story and character than Who’s The Big Name? Sure, Tom has to acquiesce to the realities of the marketplace, but Tom is a guy who just loves comics and loves super-heroes more than he loves the whole star system thing, something I believe hurts us more than it helps.

Traditionalists tend to get the crap kicked out of them by the young guns and the innovators who fuel the star system rather than promote the characters. The young guns are better for sales, while the traditionalists are better for the long-term health of the art form and the industry. Neither can really do without each other, and the worst mistake either tribe could make would be to actually kill off the other.

BTW: DC approached me recently abut taking over Firestorm, and we had a number or productive discussions until DC’s reference package arrived and I realized Firestorm was black. *bangs head into monitor*

Somewhere along the way, I stopped being a writer and *shudder* became a BLACK writer. I don't wanna be a BLACK writer. I wanna compete on a level playing ground. I said I’d be interested if we could bring the old FS back, and the editor was open to that idea but was told, emphatically, by People Higher Up The Chain that it wouldn’t happen.

I’m just not terribly excited about writing black characters because that’s the only thing people offer me these days. I hasten to add the last Marvel project I was working on was green-lit and was actually about a white super-hero group (and a big lizard—Fin Fang Foom was the villain), and *I* didn’t follow through with that because I was tired and burned out.

I think, if the majors are interested in what I do, they should offer me something. Flash, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman. Don’t offer me Last Gasp Man who is only a sneeze away from cancellation, don’t offer me Captain Zimbabwe. Offer me something for real and I’d love to consider it. In the meantime, I’m much happier farting around on sabbatical, rather than being frustrated to death in tiny steps.

Jpollard:

I am indeed proud of the concept and the accomplishments at Milestone and what the guys did, but, beyond the initial launch, I had some creeping issues about the overall quality of the line. Had I remained as EIC (which was the initial plan), I’m certain things would have been different (well, because I’m a different guy and because I had a better relationship with the Higher Ups at DC).

Which isn’t to say the line was bad or that I am not proud, just that I wasn’t completely happy with everything MS did.

Posted by priest at July 27, 2006 09:01 AM

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2006, 04:26:12 pm »
It was PRIEST'S TPB when TCHALLA threw down with Kraven and the real reason he joined THE AVENGERS and his throwdowns with ACHEBE and THE WHITE WOLF which brought me back into the fold of BP and made me an absolute fan...I loved THE DORA MILAJE's initial incarnation as badazz beautiful warriors,I liked QUEEN DIVINE JUSTICE and I like REG's touch of turning the DORA MILAJE back into wicked warriors whom are clearly of African lineage and traditional heritage.

I agree...you MUST get PRIEST'S run if you are down with REG's run,as you now have more to appreciate.Reg's run doesn't require that you know JACK about BP before you read your first book of his...but if you know about PRIEST,you love REG's run more (and you understand the initial protests more) IMHO.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline In_Spirit

• "Kiss the ring...."
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2006, 06:50:43 pm »
I can understand some of where he's coming from.  Not wanting to be just  a "black" writer, but a writer.  It's also important to understand that  yes, we are all equal and race shouldn't matter in the long run, but as  of now it does matter because blatantly or not, people react to you  differently if you're not like them and it's the way that we interact  with one another that shapes our environment which in turn influences  who we are. 

The most acclamated and accepted minority faces at least  some challenge of difference in their lives and that inevitably shapes  your viewpoint to some degree.  And I think that while we try to move  toward a colorblind society it's still important to acknowledge race  rather than to ignore it.  That being said, if you are building a  fictional world that you want to reflect reality ,in the slightest bit,  then you have to have that hint of realism in your characters.  And who  better to write the viewpoint of how a minority character might view the  world than a minority writer?  It's not necessary, but it just adds that  extra something.  I don't think it's any coincidence that it was Priest,  a writer who happens to be black, that added such depth and intrigue to  the Black Panther, a character who happened to be black.  It's not that  a white writer couldn't have done anything interesting with Panther.  I  believe it's that a person of color may just resonate more with him,  feel more comfortable in Panthers shoes so to speak.

It's just like Gail Simone.  She's a great writer period, but she also  adds that extra sense of realism in her female characters that I don't  think a male writer would have thought to do.  When we all stop reacting  differently to one another because of race and gender then race and  gender truly won't be an issue, but we're just not there yet.  I  understand his frustration, but the solution isn't just to quit.  He  should've bargained and offered to do Firestorm but only if they allowed  him to do another non-black character.  We need more diverse voices in  the industry, especially at the top.

Offline Static Froggy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2006, 11:53:07 pm »
He made the ray hilarious, and his JL was dope

read the story of the ray working at a burger joint, its great

Offline stanleyballard

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2006, 08:00:19 am »
Priest is the man....loved his Falcon back in the 80s...and his BP (most of it)...he could have made me want to read Firestorm again (dropped this one).....

Offline zulu801

• Honorary Wakandan
  • No matter how hard you try you can't stop this..
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2006, 08:04:01 am »
To add to his great wrting, DC's Xero was good.  My nephew, a long time comic book reader, gave me some issuses of Xero written by Priest and I thought it was good, IMO. 

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2006, 08:15:11 am »
Anything Priest touches is off the chains.Read his prose works on GREEN LANTERN...seriously.No joke.It's BLAZIN.I'm buying that joint when it's out next month...read some of the excerpts on his site.Crazy.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Toya

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Indifferent.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2006, 08:42:15 am »
I must agree, Priest is a kickass writer. I've been reading the WW, Race in Comics(for the last time), and his autobio. Good stuff. Now, I kinda wish I did pick up that torn-up TPB(which is gone now). 
...Rassclaat.

Offline blkyoda

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2006, 10:02:33 am »
I go to his site from time to time since his writing and political commentary is so good. His essay on Superman, and Race in comics is amazing. He kinda gives off a 'Lil Richard' vibe from time to time --- essentially complaining about how he's not given all the credit he deserves for who he influenced and what the did but at the end of the day, given that NOBODY black gets much props in the comics world he's just as damn deserving as any.

Moreover, and I don't know how much of this is a reflection of his own personality (Priest seems to be quite the loner, he says this himself and I don't know if this was before or after his divorce) but his main characters seem to be fairly conflicted guys who inevitably alienate and ruin almost all of the important relationships in thier lives. Black Panther was headed down this path when he was forced to switch the comic over to Kasper Kole. Quantum and Woody were heading down this path when the comic was cancelled (with Woody turning evil and almost killing everyone), Xero, WHICH I PROMISE YOU IS ONE OF THE HOTTEST MOST AMAZING 11 ISSUE RUNS YOU WILL EVER READ Definately headed down that path.

Preist is always commenting that had his comics lasted long enough that each of these men would have found redemption, but it was hard to read beloved characters go down that path. But I guess the fact that I cared so much is an example of why he's such a good writer.

Offline mr. irrelevant

• Rebirth of the Irrelevant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2006, 05:39:00 pm »
I've read the first five issues of Priest's run on Black Panther.  It's like reading Shakespeare.  Sheer brilliance.  Now I feel like I've got play catch up and and get the rest of the run.

But I still like Hudlin's Panther!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 09:49:57 pm by mr. irrelevant »
what the hell are you doing reading this?