Author Topic: Olympus Has Fallen  (Read 1939 times)

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
Olympus Has Fallen
« on: April 15, 2013, 11:32:59 am »
Good action flick. I was originally not going to go see it until I heard alot of folks saying to ignore the movie critics (as usual) and go see it. Body count was ridiculous but it really was good adrenaline rush. Alot of established actors in this flick too, I was surprised. The surprising thing is that I didn't realize Antoine Fuqua directed it. I lost faith in his action movie directing abilities after that flop 'Tears of the Sun'. Well, this movie more than made up for that.

Offline michaelintp

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Olympus Has Fallen
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 07:58:22 pm »
I never enjoyed a film so much.  Not while watching it, but while driving home. Me, my two adult sons, and their friend, were laughing with tears as we imitated the characters in reliving the absolute silliness of the plot. While one has to buy into the premise (as with any movie), how it unfolds is really beyond stupid. 

In connection with this film, I discovered a very interesting news story. There is more to this film than meets the eye. Be warned, however, that the article does contain some spoilers.

North Korean Threats of Nuclear Attack Timed to Promote Opening of Hollywood Film "Olympus Has Fallen."
Routers, April 21, 2013

Hollywood advance royalties traced to the Swiss bank account of North Korean strongman.

Kim Jong Un proclaimed in early April that ‘the moment of explosion is near' as he declared that North Korean troops have been cleared to attack the U.S. using 'smaller, lighter and diversified' nuclear weapons. To back up this threat, the rogue state moved a missile with a range of 3,000km (1,800m) to its east coast - within range of Japan - and claimed it would be ‘merciless’ against its enemies.

Kim Jong Un’s dramatic deployment was timed to promote the release of the Hollywood blockbuster "Olympus Has Fallen."  Kim, an avid fan of Hollywood action films, secretively financed the making of the film through a series of offshore shell corporations.

Sources report that Kim was delighted with the film, that portrays North Koreans as well-trained and determined solders, easily capturing the White House and taking the President of the United States hostage. He bragged at his private screening, lauding his agents' self-sacrifice for the greater good, the welfare of millions of North Koreans, to reunite his people. He smirked as the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs and the Secretary of Defense, on the urging of the captured President, immediately disclosed secret codes to detonate American nuclear missiles. He giggled with delight as he observed the acting President (the Speaker of the House) determinedly order a cup of coffee with half-and-half and Sweet'n'Low "in a real cup, not one of those paper things." and then, in a cowardly capitulation to the "terrorist" threat to kill the President, order the immediate withdrawal of all American army and naval forces from the Korean Peninsula.   

While Kim anticipates earning even more in royalties, he may not be pleased with the new ending to the film, tacked on by the Hollywood producers after his advance screening. In the version presented to Kim, at the end of the film, the American nuclear missiles are seconds away to detonation throughout the United States. The American protagonist, a former Secret Service Agent, is urgently typing in the deactivation key, taking his instruction over the telephone. As he receives the code, he stumbles at the character "hash mark" and has to be told this is the same as shift-3.  Still, in time, the agent types in the full code. In the version Kim was shown, the countdown continues 10-9-8-7-6-5 ... and the agent blurts out, "Oh sh*t! Did you say backslash or forward slash?!!!" 4-3-2-1 ... "Ooops!"  BOOOOOOM!   Nuclear bombs detonate throughout the United States, destroying the imperialist enemy once and for all.

Today Pyongyang announced that the "capitalist" producers of the film, in fabricating a dishonest end to the movie, engaged in "a duplicitous distortion" and "dirty trick typical of the West."

To see the theatrical release, visit your local multiplex, or rent the film on Netflix.
The spirit of emptiness is immortal.
It is called the Great Mother
because it gives birth to Heaven and Earth.
It is like a vapor,
barely seen but always present.
Use it effortlessly.

Tao Te Ching, Ch. 6

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 04:25:05 pm »
Today was my organization's annual capitol hill lobbying day, which I run.  We had members coming from all over the country to lobby and last night we took them on a tour of the monuments.  I was repeatedly asked why there was scaffolding around the Washington Monument.  My answer? "Well, after the plane flew through it in Olympus Has Fallen, it required extensive repairs"  ;D

Offline michaelintp

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 08:13:01 pm »
Hahahaha!  Good one!   ;D
The spirit of emptiness is immortal.
It is called the Great Mother
because it gives birth to Heaven and Earth.
It is like a vapor,
barely seen but always present.
Use it effortlessly.

Tao Te Ching, Ch. 6