Author Topic: Pat Robertson Takes a Swing at 'D&D'  (Read 2410 times)

Offline Marvelous

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
Pat Robertson Takes a Swing at 'D&D'
« on: April 22, 2013, 05:04:05 pm »
Televangelist and media mogul Pat Robertson has criticized Dungeons & Dragons for having "destroyed peopleís livesĒ on The 700 Club last week.  He was responding to a question:  ďIs it safe for a Christian to enjoy video games that have magic in them if the person playing the games is not practicing the magic?"

Robertsonís response, in total was:

"The idea is not how close can I get to danger but how far away can I stay from it.  I donít know what game youíre talking about.  I know thereís one called Dungeons and Dragons that literally destroyed peopleís lives.  They got into this thing and it was like demonic."

"I donít know what game youíre talking about it.  If itís based on magic, or the occult, stay away from it.  There are other games you can play.  But donít get into that.  Is it wrong, or not wrong?  I just think that we should flee from evil, period."

Robertson smoothly segued from the question about videogames to his reference to Wizards of the Coastís Dungeons & Dragons, using it as an example of a game to avoid.  Criticism and fear of D&D is not new, of course; it predates WotCís acquisition of the property in 1997.  If anything, itís probably become less common as geek culture has become more mainstream.  But Robertsonís comments are a reminder that such attitudes persist and affect perceptions of hobby gaming.

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Pat Robertson Takes a Swing at 'D&D'
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 10:21:14 pm »
That just sounds like he's running out of material to me.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 06:14:37 am »
That just sounds like he's running out of material to me.

Agreed.

I mean, why should someone with a highly active imagination computate Dungeons & Dragons ability scores when they can pray & bray about robertson's Fire & Brimstone?

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 09:35:43 am »
He also recently said that the reason there are "miracles" in less developed countries and none in America is because we are educated and actually question things...and he meant that as a bad thing.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 12:07:55 pm »
Televangelist and media mogul Pat Robertson has criticized Dungeons & Dragons for having "destroyed peopleís livesĒ on The 700 Club last week.  He was responding to a question:  ďIs it safe for a Christian to enjoy video games that have magic in them if the person playing the games is not practicing the magic?"

Robertsonís response, in total was:

"The idea is not how close can I get to danger but how far away can I stay from it.  I donít know what game youíre talking about.  I know thereís one called Dungeons and Dragons that literally destroyed peopleís lives.  They got into this thing and it was like demonic."

"I donít know what game youíre talking about it.  If itís based on magic, or the occult, stay away from it.  There are other games you can play.  But donít get into that.  Is it wrong, or not wrong?  I just think that we should flee from evil, period."

Robertson smoothly segued from the question about videogames to his reference to Wizards of the Coastís Dungeons & Dragons, using it as an example of a game to avoid.  Criticism and fear of D&D is not new, of course; it predates WotCís acquisition of the property in 1997.  If anything, itís probably become less common as geek culture has become more mainstream.  But Robertsonís comments are a reminder that such attitudes persist and affect perceptions of hobby gaming.

Ha,ha, hahaha.

O.K. now I kinda feel bad for Pat Robinson.

Doesn't he have advisors, speechwriters or SOMETHING?!?

I mean attacking D&D? What is this, 1980?

Even the NRA picked something more current to demonize by attacking Mortal Kombat.

At least attack Magic:The Gathering.

That has only been played out for a decade.

I expect this dude to start warning us about the Charlie's Angels tv series any minute now.

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 03:53:44 pm »
At least attack Magic:The Gathering.

That has only been played out for a decade.

You guys are great!