Author Topic: BLACK PANTHER MEDIA - Storm casting and the Black Panther effect  (Read 406577 times)

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Re: BLACK PANTHER MEDIA Live Action or Animated - Count Down to BP2
« Reply #3135 on: November 18, 2019, 11:06:06 pm »
Chadwick Boseman's statement concerning BP2 sums it all up for me...

"I think, you know, hopefully we can maintain the foundation that we sort of set and build upon it and expand it and explore it. That's what I hope. But I think first you have to maintain the foundation. We built a culture and a world, so you have to make sure that you keep that in place."
full article
https://movieweb.com/black-panther-2-chadwick-boseman-update/
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #3136 on: November 20, 2019, 02:56:56 pm »
Redjack courtesy of CBR

Hey, wow. My ears were actually burning.

taken in some kind of order...

1. Yes, I'd enjoy writing some version of BP. While I've enjoyed a fair amount of the COATES run, there's nothing in it I feel comfortable or inspired to take forward. Too far away from how I see BP and Wakanda. This is NOT a criticism. Different writers want different things.

2. I would LOVE to do a book based on the mythos we created for the show. It's set in its own universe and that means more freedom.

3. The pitch I posted was one of TWO. I won't post the second one because I still have a tiny hope it could see daylight somewhere one day.

4. I would love to do a TALES OF WAKANDA book where I could talk about YEMANDI and other BPs of antiquity but, again, wildly unlikely that this could happen under current conditions.

5. I'm dying to do a mini with my version of Zanda.

also, hey!

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #3137 on: November 22, 2019, 09:22:08 am »
Avengers: Infinity War Nearly Gave the Wakandan Army Mechs
By AARON PERINE

Avengers: Infinity War’s climactic final battle had a lot going on in the margins of the scene. There were no less than three different threads converging before the moment that Thanos finally got the opening he was looking for. Things could have been even harder for the Mad Titan if some of the details from the Art of Avengers: Endgame visual guidebook. In the pages of that book, there are concept art images of some significant upgrades for the Wakandan forces on the ground. Some of the soldiers would have had powered armor suits and robotic animal companions to help in the fight. Now, that sounds pretty out there at first glance, but a large mechanized cheetah is probably too dope to pass up. Although, that’s exactly what the powers that be decided to do. It would be easy to guess that the cost of producing all of this was prohibitive. Faust De Martini, concept artist, strived to make his creations an African inspiration and humanize the giant stomping technology.

"I wanted to make it like this being that is moving around that you initially don't even know what it is," De Martini said in the book. "But then you see there's a guy driving that." Now, the challenge remains for the next trip to Wakanda to expand on all the loose threads from both Endgame and Black Panther.

“I think, you know, hopefully we can maintain the foundation that we sort of set and build upon it and expand it and explore it. That’s what I hope,” Boseman told MTV International while on the promotional tour for his new movie 21 Bridges, produced by Boseman’s Avengers: Endgame directors the Russo Brothers. “But I think first you have to maintain the foundation. We built a culture and a world, so you have to make sure that you keep that in place.”

Black Panther 2 is going to be a massive undertaking. One so large, that Ryan Coogler previously admitted to the pressure present in returning for the followup entails. A movie that grossed $1.34 billion at the worldwide box office was always going to be a tough act to follow. “I think the pressure is kind of always going to be there,” Coogler said to IndieWire. “I’ve had a chance to make three feature films, each one of them had its own very specific type of pressure. In the process of it, it feels insurmountable each time.”

He added, “When it comes to making a sequel, I’ve never done it before, a sequel to something that I’ve directed myself. So I think there’s gonna be a lot of pressure there, but what we’re going to try to do is just focus on the work, like we always do. Really try to go step by step and try to quiet everything else around us, really focus on trying to make something that has some type of meaning.”

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/11/21/avengers-infinity-war-wakandan-army-mechs-nearly-gave/

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #3138 on: November 22, 2019, 10:02:13 am »
I'm satisfied with the fact that Marvel decided not to incorporate those armors and mechs into the films. First off they look uninspired and generic. Holy copy bat, save for the obligatory loin cloth they look like Batman's armor. One of the unique qualities that distinguish Black Panther was in fact the costume design and that led to the Black Panther not being viewed as a Batman knockoff.

The panther-esque mechs have been seen much too often and while they may have given Wakanda a more formidable presence, in the end it was still going to be Thor saving the day. The Wakandan Boarder Tribe was fine, all that was needed was some sort of head protection and that goes for the Dora Milaje as well. The Boarder Tribe's spears and force fields could have been put to much better use.

Imagine those Wakandan transports having weapons not to mention more visuals of the Wakandan ships actually doing damage or dare say destroying some of Thanos; troop carriers. The Boarder Tribe running with their shields up; their tech spears rapid firing laser shots wiping out hundreds of Outriders; the Boarder Tribe, Kings Guard and the Dora Milaje on full blast with the hand to hand combat and all out martial arts skill. That would have been sufficient.

Since such a heavy does of the suspension of disbelief is required when addressing the fact that T'Challa would risk his entire nation just to attempt to remove the Mind Gemit is evident that there wasn't much thought put into detailing Wakanda's military might and strategic acumen.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: November 23, 2019, 01:57:52 pm »
My personal opinion is that the concept is just that, a concept, I would expect modifications to make it unique to Wakanda and not just sci-fi base package. That being said I want those mechs in BP 2 a legit Wakandan version of it. And the armor? Should be unique and color coded to the tribe the person hails from (border blue, River green, miner red etc) as well as the tribal yet afrofuturistic touch.

As for the Wakandan army, yeah I wasn't too impressed with IWs showing but that's to be expected, they filmed before they new BP would destroy records and become the first Marvel movie to break 700 mil domestic.

EG showed a much better and formidable Wakandan military.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #3140 on: November 23, 2019, 03:18:20 pm »

What Kind of Storm Are We Getting in the MCU’s X-Men?
By Phillip Pratt

We’ve all heard the axiom “Be thankful for what you have.” It’s a mantra that supports maintaining a level of humility and staying grounded. However, there are some instances when it’s necessary to ask for more.

In recent weeks the idea of recasting new actors to play the parts of X-Men for the MCU has come up, but one part has the Twitter-verse roused. That being the role of Storm and who could take up the role this time around.
Since the debut of the first X-Men movie in 2000, we as fans have been privileged with the opportunity to see some of our favorites in live-action. One of those being everyone’s favorite weather-witch, Storm.

Believe it or not, of the 7 X-Men films produced, she’s been in 6. The only non-solo movie she was exempt from was First Class. Needless to say, the character has been well-represented in the movies- for better or worse.

The veteran, academy-award winning actress, Halle Berry, was the first thespian to bring the character to life. Berry played the part of Ororo Monroe, a total of 4-times, though one could argue that her role in Days of Future Past was more of an extended cameo. Her first outing with the character was pretty lite, but after she won an Oscar for her part in Monster’s Ball– the writers fleshed out her subsequent roles in both X2 and X3.

After Days of Future Past gave the franchise a soft reboot, the next actress to take on the role was newcomer, Alexandra Shipp. Unlike Berry’s adult portrayal of the X-Man, Shipp’s version of Storm was much younger, barely more than 18 years of age, if that. It was a version never seen before. Not outside of the Marvel Comic’s Ultimate imprint. A far cry from the take-charge, second-in-command, X-Man fans had come to know.

What’s the problem? Well, it’s not with either actress. They are both fine artists. Halle’s name will forever be etched in history books, and the uber-talented Shipp is bound to have a great career.

The only issue I and many others have noticed is that both actresses have distractingly lighter skin tones. Matter of fact; both women happen to have at least one Caucasian parent. I’m not holding that against them (my mother herself is of a similar heritage), but traditionally, Storm has always been a character with darker skin.

Why’s that matter? Storm may have been born in Harlem, New York but she’s spent most of her life in Cairo, Egypt. Where a person grows up doesn’t necessarily determine their complexion, but keep in mind the character’s lineage. Storm’s mother was originally from Kenya and happened to be a tribal princess from a long line of shaman-types. I shouldn’t’ have to explain why there’s bound to be a lot of chocolate-skinned ancestry behind her. Her father was a black man from America. Yeah, he could have been a lighter-toned man, but from what we’ve seen in flashbacks, he wasn’t.

Storm’s skin tone is an aspect that has consistently accompanied the character since her debut in 1975’s Giant-Sized X-Men as well as every depiction of her throughout animation and video games. It’s as much a part of her as having stark-white hair. Admittedly her hair shouldn’t be as European in texture as it is, but I’ll chalk that up to the same reason she sometimes has cat eyes, or no pupils (magic).

So, why has Hollywood cast the character using actresses of a lighter tone, not once, but twice? To be fair, Berry wasn’t 20th Century Fox’s only choice. There were names like Naomi Campbell and the legendary Angela Bassett floating around for the role, but obviously, neither came to fruition.

In those days comic book movies were still struggling to be taken seriously, so selling a big name like Bassett on the project probably wasn’t very easy. There were also rumors of scheduling conflicts and challenges in pay, but I couldn’t find hard evidence of either.

I think most of you would agree that Bassett had the chops to knock the role out of the water. Due to her pedigree at the time, the role may have probably been bigger in X1. It’s funny that in the end, Bassett did come around to playing a part in a comic book movie, but it was 18-years later in Marvel Studios’ Black Panther. With white hair and an African accent, no less! While Basset may have been a great option, Fox may have dodged a bullet with Campbell. She’s got the look, for sure, but her acting abilities, especially then, were less than impressive.

With that said, Fox’s X-Men line of movies is dead and gone. Those iterations will most likely never be seen again. Kevin Feige and co. plan to relaunch the franchise under the Disney-owned Marvel Studios brand.

With the studio being the media juggernaut which it is now, just about anyone will jump at the chance to join the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Actresses of all nationalities, ethnicities, shapes, sizes, and complexions are in no short supply.

This is why when just about every large geek-media website started floating the idea of casting acclaimed Joker actress, Zazie Beetz, as Storm- I was a bit concerned. Don’t get me wrong. I think she’s an incredible actress, and to say she’s stunning would be an insult. The woman is dope.

But, like Berry and Shipp, she’s a goddess that happens to be on the fairer side of the complexion spectrum up for a part of a character that has dark skin. If this was the first outing, I wouldn’t have a huge issue, but a third instance?

She’s already a kick-ass Domino in the Deadpool franchise. With the amount of talent available to the studio and how desperate anyone would be just to land an audition- I think it’s ok to see if we can get a little closer to the spirit of what a more source material accurate Storm could be on the big screen.

I mean, what would we be telling our girls? That they can be powerful and beautiful, as long as they land on the right end of the skin tone gamut? Among the throng of source material-accurate Storm-actress potentials out there, are Kiki Layne and Yetide Badaki.

Layne is a 27-year-old stunner of an American beauty that’s best known for her role as Clementine (or Tish) in If Beal Street Could Talk. Badaki is actually Nigerian-born, and interesting enough, already has some experience playing up a deity. Her biggest role comes from the Starz series American Gods where she portrays Bilquis, the Queen of Sheba. She’s also launched a low-key online campaign to capture the gig.

Layne is younger, and to date has no connections to any big franchises that are in any way comparable to what Marvel has or will do. Something I think they prefer. She’s also on the taller side at 5’9”. That’s a bonus because Storm is normally depicted as being the tallest woman in a room.

Badaki, on the other hand, has a more mature look and possesses an organic connection to the character. Having spent time in both Great Britain and as well as her home country (Nigeria), she could probably pull off an accent more readily. It’d be an easier fit for her, I’d assume. Depending on what take Feige wants for the character, either actress could excel in the part.

However, what scares me is that the MCU has already shown us that they’ll bend a bit. Wakanda isn’t Zimbabwe, Morocco, or even Cape Town. There’s no tourism or international influxes of refugees to stir up the gene pool. They are (or were) fierce isolationists that don’t take kindly to outsiders. Do I have to bring up the whole “colonizer” nickname they have for white people? Of course, I don’t. So, tell me, how did they end up with an extremely light-skinned member of the Dora Milaje? If there’s a backstory incoming in the sequel, then great, but chances are it was just a casting decision.

It’s not a big deal at all, except when producers start to think all black people look alike. That we aren’t a multifaceted and diverse sect of people all our own. It’s a dangerous way of thinking and may have led to the casting choices in the teen-sci-fi adventure The Darkest Minds. Did no one notice that they cast Amandla Stenberg as Ruby Daly, but also hired Lidya Jewett to play the adolescent version of the same character? The only thing those two young ladies have in common is their naturally curly hair.

For the first time, Marvel Studios can give us a Storm that’s more like the character we’ve grown accustomed to seeing in every other medium besides the big screen. And they can do it without making a huge fuss over it. No pomp or grandstanding for snaps and pointless ‘Likes’ and re-Tweets.

Just give us a Storm that actually resembles something close to what the character is. Otherwise, what they’ll be saying to dark-skinned actresses is; be thankful for what you have.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: BLACK PANTHER MEDIA - Storm casting and the Black Panther effect
« Reply #3141 on: November 25, 2019, 10:33:28 am »
For the bolded red, I mean, who cares? The majority of the cast main cast and extras, are darker skinned, this one Dora being lighter, for one, isn't even an impossiblity, but is so minor that in this article it really isn't worth bringing up as an "issue" because this one actress is really the only lighter tonned Character. Definitely not  the MCU bending at all

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #3142 on: November 26, 2019, 09:15:53 pm »
For the bolded red, I mean, who cares? The majority of the cast main cast and extras, are darker skinned, this one Dora being lighter, for one, isn't even an impossiblity, but is so minor that in this article it really isn't worth bringing up as an "issue" because this one actress is really the only lighter tonned Character. Definitely not  the MCU bending at all

Yea, I noticed her but wasn't put off. Heck I also noticed a few members of the Boarder Tribe possibly looking a little out of shape but  that's me. I think the entire nation of Wakanda should be in fighting shape at all times. Kind of like the Spartans in 300.

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #3143 on: November 26, 2019, 09:16:06 pm »
Potential sequence for EndGame

courtesy of CBR's Cville

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #3144 on: November 26, 2019, 11:07:47 pm »
Exclusive: Zazie Beetz Wants To Play Storm In The MCU
By Allen D. Lyons

Marvel Studios has the next phase laid out for the MCU. Those will mostly include further stories from characters we know and love. Being around since Iron Man 2, Black Widow will finally have a solo movie. Hawkeye, Loki, and Scarlet Witch will be getting their own shows. And Doctor Strange, Thor, and Spider-Man will each have another installment. The only new franchises we’ll see are Eternals and Shang-Chi. Phase Five might be where we’ll see the new blood. No pun intended, but there will be a new Blade. Also, there are all those characters that Disney received with the Fox acquisition. Therefore, fans are quick to pick out who they want to play the MCU’s X-Men and Fantastic Four. One such character is Storm. What do you think of Zazie Beetz for the weather goddess?

ScreenGeek attended a special Variety event  in which our very own Mark Salcido and Kelsey Loiselle interviewed the rising stars of Hollywood. In an exclusive interview with the Deadpool 2 and Joker actress, Beetz was reminded about her audition for Storm. Obviously, the role went to Alexandra Shipp instead. But since the role might open back up with the Disney FOX purchase, we asked if she would be interested in still playing the character.

“Yeah, I think I would be down. I guess obviously it depends on the script and it depends on if I think it’s a good script. I think it would be super fun to do that. Storm also essentially is such an iconic character. I mean it would be kind of big shoes to fill, I think. I wouldn’t want to confuse audiences too much and be all over the place and now I’m doing DC as well. I think it would be super fun.I think it would be a dope opportunity.”

Beetz just played Sophie Dumond in Joker. That was the DC she was talking about. She was also Domino in Deadpool 2. Disney is moving ahead with Deadpool 3 with Ryan Reynolds returning. However, it is unknown yet who else will return from Fox’s other Deadpool installments. But even if she does, keep in mind that the MCU will introduce the multiverse here soon. It was teased in Spider-Man: Far From Home. But we will actually get to see these parallel universes in perhaps WandaVision, and definitely, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. Also, there’s the task of carrying Tom Holland’s Spidey over to Venom’s world. Therefore, it’s quite possible for Beetz to play both Domino and Storm.

Hopefully, Phase Five will include an X-Men movie. Even before that, we might see the seeds for these mutants. There’s rumor that Eternals might set them up. Scarlet Witch was a mutant in the comics. And Magneto was her dad. Maybe we’ll see something in WandaVision. There is a rumored Hulk vs. Wolverine movie. And Black Panther II has been announced for May 6th, 2022. Comic readers will remember that Storm was a love interest for T’Challa. So Beetz could very well be cast for the upcoming sequel.

Beetz is definitely up for it. Her star-power is rising with Joker. And before that, in Deadpool 2 and Atlanta, she has proved her acting chops. If she does audition for the role again, the casting directors would certainly see her impressive resume.

https://www.screengeek.net/2019/11/07/zazie-beetz-storm-mcu/