Author Topic: The Ultimate, New Crew, New, Black Panther, New Black Power???  (Read 584316 times)

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: New Avengers, New Black Panther, New Black Power???
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2013, 12:26:58 pm »
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2013, 12:28:46 pm »
Thank you brother Ture for the brilliant visual aids/bringing me further along in grasping the particulars of the current developments regarding the Black Panther...or is it simply T'Challa? As I recall, before stepping away from you my brothers and Dear Friends and this pasttime I once enjoyed, Shuri was the Black Panther. T'Challa was a cracked shell of himself who under self-imposed exile undertook a life-reevaluating course of action in which I suspicion, he accomplished nothing of any real consequence.

"King of the Dead", he is now. Ture, as I looked on the graphics you provided, my mind immediately returned to the very excellent title you gave this topic: New Avengers...okay. New Black Panther...maybe; maybe not. We'll see. New Black Power? And there it is! Since his creation, writers have tried to find and present the real essence of the Black Panther. As I indicated earlier, I'm inclined to believe that with the possible exception of Maberry who might have had greater interest in promoting Shuri as the new and viable Black Panther, every writer who tackled T'Challa, the Black Panther made a good faith attempt to portray a noble, regal, enigmatic, dynamic, formidable character. He was spoken of as being in the same class as Captain America.

This "King of the Dead" might have been accomplished years ago when in the story written by Peter Gillis, T'Challa was tested by the Panther God itself who was at that time, none too pleased with the Black Panther. The "King of the Dead" IMO is simply a different way of portraying the results of the Gillis story, a story in which T'Challa - bereft of the favor and power of the Panther God - defeated a team of super-powered white villians from the racist nation of Azania.

The Panther has always been a worthy character. The issue has always been this noble, regal, formidable black man bearing the name Black Panther has presented a symbol of black power in Marvel Comics and the comicbook industry as a whole and it is that reality which has worked to keep T'Challa a lesser character than we all know he deserves. Marvel Comics has demonstrated through its treatment of the Black Panther and most of the black male mutants it has created, that LCB-RD power trumps black power everytime.

In nature, a cheetah < a leopard < a lion < a tiger. In short, the most powerful tiger will always win out. In Marvel Comics, Daredevil < Luke Cage. Daredevil has no true super power. He does not have steel-like skin. Cage has both of those attributes Daredevil lacks, but I have a book in which Daredevil and Cage sparred and Daredevil was able to raise lumps and bruises on Cage and not only that...cause Cage to bleed. Cage has been gunshot point blank and those wounds produced no blood, at most, only an indentation where the impact occurred. Why was DD able to accomplish this? Because the writer wrote it so. Who's to complain about Cage being "jobbed"? Black folks don't buy comics in the numbers of the LCB-RD. This is why when given the "Marriage Of The Century", those fans of the marriage could not sustain it as much of the more demonstrative LCB-RD, many of those being x-fans, despised the marriage and wanted it ended.

Nobody is saying T'Challa should have beaten Terrax single-handedly...good lord, we're not saying that. Remember the LCB-RD outrage when the Panther was able to apply an arm-bar hold on the Silver Surfer. I'm saying that unless the LCB-RD attitude toward black characters is that they will actually support that character with their dollars, it doesn't matter how formidable T'Challa, the Black Panther becomes, he will always be lesser than Wolverine, lesser than Hawkeye, lesser than Irredeemable Ant Man; lesser than other characters which IMHO, he is superior to in every respect.

Then maybe it's time we stop worrying about what the LCB-RD clowwns like and start focusing on supporting a writer who actually wants to write T'Challa as opposed to one who just wants to use the character as a stepping stone to other writing gigs within Marvel. (Maberry)

I've never seen T'Challa as being a lesser character to any other characters and choose to support him and anyone actually writing him properly.

Hickman is doing that presently, so he has my unswerving support until he proves unworthy of it.

Offline JRCarter

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2013, 12:37:24 pm »
A...who?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue#Variations

Basically they complain that he is "too perfect"

Of course, because he's Black and competent and not a sidekick.

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2013, 02:53:43 pm »
Nobody is saying T'Challa should have beaten Terrax single-handedly...good lord, we're not saying that. Remember the LCB-RD outrage when the Panther was able to apply an arm-bar hold on the Silver Surfer. I'm saying that unless the LCB-RD attitude toward black characters is that they will actually support that character with their dollars, it doesn't matter how formidable T'Challa, the Black Panther becomes, he will always be lesser than Wolverine, lesser than Hawkeye, lesser than Irredeemable Ant Man; lesser than other characters which IMHO, he is superior to in every respect.

Exactly Sin!  Suggesting that T'Challa could've set-up Terrax for Black Bolt and avoided being swatted away as one would swat a fly (not even as one rarely makes contact with a fly, more like one of those fat, jumbo Bumblebees that aren't very nimble) is far from suggesting he take Terrax down single-handedly.  It is also completely reasonable and consistent with his skill-set, not even Terrax fan-boys could have credibly complained that T'Challa was being displayed as too powerful for evading a blow.  Yet T'Challa would have been portrayed in a far more effective context.  This is not hating on Hickman, it is constructive criticism.  Do not be surprised to get what you get if you never make what you want known. 

Peace,

Mont

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2013, 04:14:58 pm »

Exactly Sin!  Suggesting that T'Challa could've set-up Terrax for Black Bolt and avoided being swatted away as one would swat a fly (not even as one rarely makes contact with a fly, more like one of those fat, jumbo Bumblebees that aren't very nimble) is far from suggesting he take Terrax down single-handedly.  It is also completely reasonable and consistent with his skill-set, not even Terrax fan-boys could have credibly complained that T'Challa was being displayed as too powerful for evading a blow.  Yet T'Challa would have been portrayed in a far more effective context.  This is not hating on Hickman, it is constructive criticism.  Do not be surprised to get what you get if you never make what you want known. 

Peace,

Mont

So let me get this correct,

Cat's are complaining that T'Challa's full skill set as a master tactitian was not employed against Terrax and that in addition to that, he was "swatted away" by Terrax even though he was the only combatant to actually strike what would have been a killing blow on a non-cosmically enhanced opponent?

Well, I guess T'Challa's much vaunted tactical awareness and supreme prep time protocols weren't that much of a big deal to some of you when this happened......

Dude was written walking blind into a meeting with Namor without letting anyone in Wakanda know where he was going. (Tactical blunder numero uno).

Rolling with just three Dora milaje's and none of his augmented armor or weaponry. (Tactical blunder numero dos)

And finally, walking right into the fully armored and "backed up to the teeth by automatons" Doctor Doom before being summarily blasted in the face by the aforementioned good Doctor after falling for the ol' Doombot ploy. (Tactical blunder numero tres)

Yeah, I see how that advanced prep thing works now. :smdh:

Offline BmoreAkuma

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2013, 05:11:58 pm »
All I have to say is that Tchalla saved Iron Mans life. And that counts the most
With these choices, I felt that the American black man only needed to choose which one to get eaten by; the liberal fox or the conservative wolf because both of them will eat him.

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2013, 05:26:09 pm »
All I have to say is that Tchalla saved Iron Mans life. And that counts the most

Agreed 100%.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 05:30:15 pm by Salustrade »

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2013, 05:34:34 pm »

Peace,

Mont

Cat's are complaining that T'Challa's full skill set as a master tactitian was not employed against Terrax and that in addition to that, he was "swatted away" by Terrax even though he was the only combatant to actually strike what would have been a killing blow on a non-cosmically enhanced opponent?

Well, I guess T'Challa's much vaunted tactical awareness and supreme prep time protocols weren't that much of a big deal to some of you when this happened......

Dude was written walking blind into a meeting with Namor without letting anyone in Wakanda know where he was going. (Tactical blunder numero uno).

Rolling with just three Dora milaje's and none of his augmented armor or weaponry. (Tactical blunder numero dos)

And finally, walking right into the fully armored and "backed up to the teeth by automatons" Doctor Doom before being summarily blasted in the face by the aforementioned good Doctor after falling for the ol' Doombot ploy. (Tactical blunder numero tres)

Actually, that DID draw a strong reaction from most of us...but we knew what was going on.

Reggie Reg...Mr. R to the H...wrote that book. The same guy who resurrected BP, actually made him an A-Lister, and wrote the Blackest, most hardcore BP in history. The guy who pulled off the Marriage of the Century. The guy who had TChalla just pimp slapping people. The first and only guy to write not just one but TWO Panthers beating Steve Rogers. The first and only guy to write TChalla handily overwhelming Logan. The guy who made the hatas recognize TChalla's supergenius IQ, despite the definitive genius work of the much overlooked Priest. This is the only guy to write more than 2 Black heroes together on the same panel in Black comic working as a team in a Black city without a White hero in sight or needed
This guy got Marvel to include TChalla in major events and not as a chump  or Affirmative Action point all the time, either...whereas they ignored and demeaned TChalla as a matter of course prior to RH. This is the guy that EJD wrote proving that TChaka ( retconned to Azziri ) whoopin Cap was not due to the Heart Shaped Herb, as the HSH is not a SSS knockoff.

This guy wrote FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS.

So yeah, we look at this whole Doom RH differently. We know RH BP wouldn't sell out cuz RH won't sell out. We know that RH would have BP handing out severe beatdowns to Doom.

Other writers? Nah. Not them.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 05:52:59 pm by supreme illuminati »
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2013, 05:45:53 pm »

Peace,

Mont

Actually, that DID draw a strong reaction from most of us...but we knew what was going on.

Reggie Reg...Mr. R to the H...wrote that book. The same guy who resurrected NP, actually made him an A-Lister, and wrote the Blackest, most hardcore BP in history. The guy who pulled off the Marriage of the Century. The guy who had TChalla just pump slapping people. The first and only guy to write not just one but TWO Panthers beating Steve Rogers. The first and only guy to write TChalla handily overwhelming Logan. The guy who made the hatas recognize TChalla's supergenius IQ, despite the definitive genius work of the much overlooked Priest. This is the only guy to write more than 2 Black heroes together on the same panel ins Black comic working as a team in a Black city without a White hero in sight or needed
This guy got Marvel to include TChalla in major events and not as a chump  or Affirmative Action point all the, either...whereas they ignored and demeaned TChalla as a matter of course prior to RH. This is the guy that EJD twrite that TChaka ( retconned to Azziri ) whoopin Cap was not due to the Heart Shaped Herb, as the HSH is not a SSS knockoff.

This guy wrote FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS.

So yeah, we look at this whole Doomom RH differently. We know RH BPouldn't sell out cuz RH won't sell out. We know that RH would have BP handing out severe beatdowns to Doom.

Other writers? Nah. Not them.

Apart from Civil War, what other big events did Mr Hudlin's Black Panther feature in?

And does anything in your post actually address why Mr Hudlin's Black Panther walked into the Doom ambush so unprepared?

I only ask this qiestion because some of you seem to have an issue with Hickman's portrayal of T'Challa in the terrax encounter feeling that he wasn't portrayed in a suitably polymathic manner.

I'm just trying to understand why some are acting as if Hickman has shortchanged T'Challa in some manner?

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2013, 06:29:52 pm »
Are you dissing Hudlin the #1 seller of Black Panther for all time?

That love for B-Swizzy is driving this brotha a little crazay... Or is that cray cray?

NTBM strikes again!

Carry on...

Offline Salustrade

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2013, 12:30:34 am »
Cue the predictably retarded response that wilfully seeks to avoid the veracity of what's being said only to go pointing off into oblivion.

Apparently massive sales on a book render some immune to criticism.

I'm sure Mr Hudlin himself would agree that Jonathan Maberry used the closing arc of Hudlin's run on the Black Panther monthly ongoing as a springboard to launch his Doomwar which laid the seeds for Marvel to reverse all of the character progression that had been initiated by Christopher Priest and Mr Hudlin himself.

The printed pages don't lie.

But hey I guess it's easier for some to throw shade rather than face reality.

Offline sinjection1

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2013, 06:42:16 am »
A...who?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue#Variations

Basically they complain that he is "too perfect"

I see.

"They" would know a "marty sue" if "they" saw one, I suppose.

He was nothing more than a chain smoking louse, a heavy-drinking souse: an ill-tempered braggadocious boor who was more brawn than brain. That brain was also quite the mess as he had no idea of his past. Judging from what we saw of him at that time - short, ugly, hairy, certainly funky with body odor and the smelly remnant of heavy smoke and drink - his prospects for finding comfort in the arms of a female...even if that female was a sow in her own right...seemed slim and none.

Today, he is the all-mighty Wolverine. No team of superheroes - mutant or not - is complete without his presence gracing their roster. He has evolved from something little more than an animal to an all-knowing - Samurai sensei - sexual dynamo. Women as lovely as Jean Grey and Ororo Munroe are notches on his bedpost. He also happens to be nigh-immortal. All flesh, muscle and sinew was once blasted from his indestructible skeleton. He survived by ressurected himself from a single drop...a single drop, I say...of his blood.

Adamantium is supposed to be industructible. So I can't begin to fathom how it was that the Hulk managed to rip Wolverine in two...severing his industructible spine in the process...and hurling the two parts far and wide in opposite directions. Wolverine's upper torso - walking on its hands - managed to locate its lower half.

T'Challa is merely (or was), the ruler of once-mighty Wakanda, a nation never conquered. He is handsome, brilliant; a dynamic, enigmatic warrior who it seems, is always 2 steps ahead of his enemies.

And the LCB-RD says that T'Challa is "too perfect" while Wolverine is praiseworthy and peachy-keen. This incomprehensible bias of the LCB-RD is why Marvel Comics doesn't have a black male mutant who lives longer than 2 weeks. It's why Marvel Comics has Luke Cage/Jessica Jone...a heterosexual interracial relationship; Danny Rand/Misty Knight...a heterosexual interracial relationship, a homosexual interracial relationship between Northstar and his black lover, and T'Challa begging his black ex-wife not to sleep with the magnificent Wolverine...which she promptly does.

This is why T'Challa, the "new" Black Panther being as formidable - if not more so - than the "old" Black Panther will always have a hard row to hoe.
Mr. MajestiK, I like your style. You are the wiser, calmer, more articulate second coming of sinjection to "that other place". You do me proud.

Offline sinjection1

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2013, 06:53:04 am »
Cue the predictably retarded response that wilfully seeks to avoid the veracity of what's being said only to go pointing off into oblivion.

Apparently massive sales on a book render some immune to criticism.

I'm sure Mr Hudlin himself would agree that Jonathan Maberry used the closing arc of Hudlin's run on the Black Panther monthly ongoing as a springboard to launch his Doomwar which laid the seeds for Marvel to reverse all of the character progression that had been initiated by Christopher Priest and Mr Hudlin himself.

The printed pages don't lie.

But hey I guess it's easier for some to throw shade rather than face reality.

When it comes to the critical analysis of a writer's efforts regarding the Panther and other black characters, I defer to Ture, to Daoud, to the inimitable Supreme Illuminati, and to Salustrade.

I find Salustrade's vigorous support of Hickman an encouraging sign. I have also been quite impressed with the artwork. The Black Panther has never been rendered better than he has been in the scans of the New Avengers pages I have seen.

Salustrade counsels patience and I for one, will heed that counsel.
Mr. MajestiK, I like your style. You are the wiser, calmer, more articulate second coming of sinjection to "that other place". You do me proud.

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2013, 09:13:00 am »
So basically we throw Hudlin under the bus because Hickman has the best ever depiction of Black Panther... Oh snap I just saw Priest under the bus too so you may as well toss McDuffie in there as well!

Hudlin after 30+ issues of making Black Panther a household name and as a rookie writer pulled off the "Wedding of The Century" which in-house veteran writers could not and Hickman is better after two Fantastic Four issues and 5 New Avengers issues?

It amazes me how easily certain black men turn on each over to defend a white dude who has not ventured yet into solo stand on your own comic books with Black Panther to see if they can hold their own naked on that Wakanda island!

Everything successful with Black Panther is done standing next to Reed in both comics as if he needed there handholding help while Hudlin had Black Panther save the day and get the girl on his own!

Do you guys also have a white dude standing next to you to help you polymathicly tie your own shoes or what?

Still waiting on that solo Black Panther cartoon... Oh wait Hudlin already been there done that practically on his own initiative!

I think some black men have caught NTBM when Black Panther was cancelled last year during Black History Month leading up to the annulment that Hickman could not stop as a veteran "Architect!"

And you tripping on the Doom thang as if all that glorious 30+ issue run was nothing to speak of as you praise 7 "Ensemble" based issues of Hickman... Cause you know you need Reed and Ironman to sell over 30,000!

YEAH... I'm pointing to oblivion as I recall what Hudlin told me to my face when I caught him shoplifting at the grocery store... "Men may lie, women may lie but the numbers don't lie!"

The best seller of Black Panther period... Now take that ungrateful attitude back to CBR with your NTBM symptoms!

Hip Hop Harvard Hudlin...

Beyonce: "Bow Down Beyotches Bow Down!"

Offline sinjection1

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2013, 09:23:05 am »
Then maybe it's time we stop worrying about what the LCB-RD clowwns like and start focusing on supporting a writer who actually wants to write T'Challa as opposed to one who just wants to use the character as a stepping stone to other writing gigs within Marvel. (Maberry)

I've never seen T'Challa as being a lesser character to any other characters and choose to support him and anyone actually writing him properly.

Hickman is doing that presently, so he has my unswerving support until he proves unworthy of it.

I have never worried about what the LCB-RD liked or didn't like, brother  ;) 

I have seen you in action, Salustrade. I can say with confidence that you never have and never will worry about anything the LCB-RD could throw at you. I won't presume to speak for the HEF, but I DO know this. Jenn never worried about what the LCB-RD clowns liked, but she put them in their place when they spewed nonsense. Seven never worried about what the LCB-RD clowns liked, but when their signal went askew, Seven didn't hesitate to rectify their flow. Whenever a writer has done justice to the Panther we, as Panther fans, have supported that writer.

But Salustrade, the LCB-RD is and remains an inescapable, undeniable factor in the success or failure of the Black Panther and not only the Panther, but other black characters as well. A large segment of the LCB-RD views Storm favorably - especially when they are able to find evidence which "mitigates" her "blackness". The Black Panther has had as many solo titles as a hydra has heads. A title is cancelled and like the hydra's head grows back after being hacked off, a new Black Panther title breaks forth. The Panther is an excellent character. Marvel Comics knows this to be true and so does the LCB-RD. A large segment of this demographic seems to be resentful of this truth.

So while most of us couldn't give a rat's nasty ass what the LCB-RD likes, Marvel Comics seems to. The bulk of their revenue source is the LCB-RD and it is very likely that today's Marvel writers/illustrators/editors were once themselves LCB-RD fanboys with biases for and against certain characters they find themselves in positions to act upon. Back in the day, Marvel might have been concerned about what the LCB-RD thought about a black man, wearing a black costume, called Black Panther, being a member of the Avengers.

Apparently that concern was so great that in issue #105 of "Earth's Mightiest Heroes! The Avengers", T'Challa shows up and Hawkeye doesn't know whether to call him Panther or Black Leopard. Apparently, Hawkeye was told by the FF that T'Challa had changed his name from Black Panther to Black Leopard. T'Challa confirmed that he had because he "...did not want his personal goals and tribal heritage confused with the political plans made by others." I'm assuming those "others" T'Challa spoke of was the Black Panther Party. I doubt that organization had much support if any within the LCB-RD. Marvel was mindful of that. They have always been more mindful of the LCB-RD than the Panther's niche fandom.

This is why as great as T'Challa the Black Panther is and always has been...this is why no matter how lofty the goals or how great the talents of the writer he might have and how vociferously we Panther fans might support that writer, because the LCB-RD brings the big bucks, they wield the big voice.