Author Topic: The Ultimate, New Crew, New, Black Panther, New Black Power???  (Read 587142 times)

Offline Mortal Man

• When ish hit the fan...
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate, New Crew, New, Black Panther, New Black Power???
« Reply #4095 on: September 01, 2017, 07:00:49 am »
Another one bites the dust
How many leaders you said you needed then left ‘em for dead?
Is it Moses, is it Huey Newton or Detroit Red?
Is it Martin Luther, JFK, shooter you assassin
Is it Jackie, is it Jesse, oh I know, it’s King T'Challa, oh!

When ish hit the fan, is you still a fan?

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: September 01, 2017, 07:10:45 am »
Ta-Nehisi Coates Promises The Crew Will Continue In Black Panther
Posted by Rich Johnston August 30, 2017

Today, sadly, sees the final issue of Black Panther and the Crew #6. Noted in the editorial pages, it states:

“And that’s a wrap on BLACK PANTHER & THE CREW! While it’s certainly ending earlier than anyone would have liked, we’re glad that Ta-Nehisi, Vona and Butch got to tell the full story of this arc, and it’s an arc we’re all very proud of. So hats off to Ta-Nehisi, Vona and Butch, and to the entire CREW crew: inker Scott Hanna, colorist Dan Brown, flashback artist Mack Chater, cover artist John Cassaday (along with colorists Laura Martin and Paul Mounts), all our variant cover artists, and pinch hitters Stephen Thompson and Paul Mounts. And thank YOU for reading — you’re all officially honorary members of The Crew.”
The comic has unearthed a hidden Harlem history for the Marvel universe, with a number of 1950s superheroes dealing with organised crime in a pre-civil rights world, contrasting with a modern day raising of racial tensions over an over aggressive super-police force. While dealing with narrative lines from Captain America: Sam Wilson, it has also enriched the superhero stories of New York by adding a greater history, as well as one for Hydra. Co-writer Ta-Nehisi Coates writes his own final out:

“This has been an awesome experience. I was, like, 12 years old when I first saw a Butch Guice comic. The notion that I’d be working with him one day would have blown my mind back then. Butch’s work on THE CREW has been incredible. As have been Vona Harvey’s scripts. We’ve known each other for a long time, and the idea of getting to do this together is, also, mind-blowing. But more than anything, I want to thank the fans for supporting this project. We wish it could have gone longer — and we will in the pages of BLACK PANTHER. That I promise. Finally, shout out to Christopher Priest, who laid the groundwork for this awesome team.”
The Crew will continue in Black Panther. You heard him; he just promised.

This reeks of desperation. I expect many more failed attempts at making Coatesverse Black Panther relevant as we get closer to the films release.

Comments from this Bleeding Cool article...

All-American Male • 12 hours ago
Still holding out hope for Christopher Priest to return to take over BP.

bortman • 11 hours ago
I enjoyed this book and the ideas behind it, even if the execution wasn't perfect. The idea of heroes of color existing in the era between the Golden Age and the modern age is a good one and one I hope gets more exploration in the future. We've seen hints at this before, with Flatiron appearing in the Lost Generation mini, and Persuader and other black heroes protecting Boston.

http://www.marvunapp.com/Ap...

I also love the idea of nations in the non-aligned movement creating their own heroes as political statements. I'd love to see this explored, with home grown heroes facing off against American and Soviet heroes during the Cold War. We know the US had the Weapon Plus program, and Russia had the Red program (Red Guardian, Epsilon Red, Omega Red). Perhaps Africa, with help from East Germany or the USSR, started a Black or Green program.

Akane • a day ago
Why bother the book was a huge flop with the writer admitting there was not an audience for it. 

JAS84 • 21 hours ago
BP can only support one book. World of Wakanda didn't last long either.

Comics4Life • a day ago
Phew! I was worried!

Parallax • a day ago
Tbh it never should have left Black Panther to begin with

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/08/30/ta-nehisi-coates-crew-black-panther/#disqus_thread

And there it is, the bold blue quote. This is that exact shiit that bugs me. Spin off books with his name in title only predictaly flop and where does the blame go? To the writer? Nope. Must be that the Title character cant sustain more then one book even though he barely showed up the the books in question.. Thats why Coates pisses me off and the sooner he is gone, the sooner T'challa can recover from his bullsh*t weak ass premises and his mudding of his mythos

Offline Mortal Man

• View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: September 01, 2017, 07:13:26 am »
Ta-Nehisi Coates Promises The Crew Will Continue In Black Panther
Posted by Rich Johnston August 30, 2017

Today, sadly, sees the final issue of Black Panther and the Crew #6. Noted in the editorial pages, it states:

“And that’s a wrap on BLACK PANTHER & THE CREW! While it’s certainly ending earlier than anyone would have liked, we’re glad that Ta-Nehisi, Vona and Butch got to tell the full story of this arc, and it’s an arc we’re all very proud of. So hats off to Ta-Nehisi, Vona and Butch, and to the entire CREW crew: inker Scott Hanna, colorist Dan Brown, flashback artist Mack Chater, cover artist John Cassaday (along with colorists Laura Martin and Paul Mounts), all our variant cover artists, and pinch hitters Stephen Thompson and Paul Mounts. And thank YOU for reading — you’re all officially honorary members of The Crew.”
The comic has unearthed a hidden Harlem history for the Marvel universe, with a number of 1950s superheroes dealing with organised crime in a pre-civil rights world, contrasting with a modern day raising of racial tensions over an over aggressive super-police force. While dealing with narrative lines from Captain America: Sam Wilson, it has also enriched the superhero stories of New York by adding a greater history, as well as one for Hydra. Co-writer Ta-Nehisi Coates writes his own final out:

“This has been an awesome experience. I was, like, 12 years old when I first saw a Butch Guice comic. The notion that I’d be working with him one day would have blown my mind back then. Butch’s work on THE CREW has been incredible. As have been Vona Harvey’s scripts. We’ve known each other for a long time, and the idea of getting to do this together is, also, mind-blowing. But more than anything, I want to thank the fans for supporting this project. We wish it could have gone longer — and we will in the pages of BLACK PANTHER. That I promise. Finally, shout out to Christopher Priest, who laid the groundwork for this awesome team.”
The Crew will continue in Black Panther. You heard him; he just promised.

This reeks of desperation. I expect many more failed attempts at making Coatesverse Black Panther relevant as we get closer to the films release.

Comments from this Bleeding Cool article...

All-American Male • 12 hours ago
Still holding out hope for Christopher Priest to return to take over BP.

bortman • 11 hours ago
I enjoyed this book and the ideas behind it, even if the execution wasn't perfect. The idea of heroes of color existing in the era between the Golden Age and the modern age is a good one and one I hope gets more exploration in the future. We've seen hints at this before, with Flatiron appearing in the Lost Generation mini, and Persuader and other black heroes protecting Boston.

I also love the idea of nations in the non-aligned movement creating their own heroes as political statements. I'd love to see this explored, with home grown heroes facing off against American and Soviet heroes during the Cold War. We know the US had the Weapon Plus program, and Russia had the Red program (Red Guardian, Epsilon Red, Omega Red). Perhaps Africa, with help from East Germany or the USSR, started a Black or Green program.

Akane • a day ago
Why bother the book was a huge flop with the writer admitting there was not an audience for it. 

JAS84 • 21 hours ago
BP can only support one book. World of Wakanda didn't last long either.

Comics4Life • a day ago
Phew! I was worried!

Parallax • a day ago
Tbh it never should have left Black Panther to begin with

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/08/30/ta-nehisi-coates-crew-black-panther/#disqus_thread

And there it is, the bold blue quote. This is that exact shiit that bugs me. Spin off books with his name in title only predictaly flop and where does the blame go? To the writer? Nope. Must be that the Title character cant sustain more then one book even though he barely showed up the the books in question.. Thats why Coates pisses me off and the sooner he is gone, the sooner T'challa can recover from his bullsh*t weak ass premises and his mudding of his mythos

Yup.  Everybody loses when Coates writes the book.  Now any casual will see a BP book and be like "yuck i don't want to read that".  Whereas just a little over a year ago everybody wanted to hop on the BP wave.

We went from sugar to toxic

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #4098 on: September 01, 2017, 07:13:44 am »

free agent status

who's given him that max contract?

Offline Mortal Man

• View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: September 01, 2017, 07:23:40 am »

free agent status

Remember them rumors about him signing a 2 year deal with Captain America?  Lmao Steve Roger's posse got word of the type of "coaching style" he'd be in for and they nixed alllll negotiations with the quickness.  If only BP had that type of team and organizational support.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4100 on: September 01, 2017, 07:32:02 am »

free agent status

Remember them rumors about him signing a 2 year deal with Captain America?  Lmao Steve Roger's posse got word of the type of "coaching style" he'd be in for and they nixed alllll negotiations with the quickness.  If only BP had that type of team and organizational support.
[/quote

They kicked him off the Cap project?

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #4101 on: September 01, 2017, 07:39:27 am »
No one was sure. it was a bleeding cool rumor.

The rumor was Waid would handle the transition after Secret Empire writing a more "heroic" classic cap. After that, Coates would take over.

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4102 on: September 01, 2017, 07:44:43 am »

The rumor was Waid would handle the transition after Secret Empire writing a more "heroic" classic cap. After that, Coates would take over.

To be honest (Sorry Cap Fans) i hope that TNC gets the job to write Cap and they give T'Challa to someone who will actually elevate him. Like *cough* REDJACK *Cough*

Offline MindofShadow

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Black Panther Fan Blog
« Reply #4103 on: September 01, 2017, 07:54:41 am »
I think he'd be forced out by the legions of old school comic fans.

He came into BP with fans hungry for a solo because we've been screwed since Doom blew him up. You are more likely to take scraps and overlook sh*tty things when you are starving. Lil' hair in the box mash potatoes? oh well IM STARVING GIVE IT TO ME.

Cap fan's ain't starvin. They know damn well he is going to have a book, every month, forever. And they are old school white fan boys who are already angry about hydra cap/falcap/ect.

They will run his ass off.

If he thought BP fans were rough (he said comic fans were more vocal than "race topic" twitter people) then he is in a world of hurt. Minorities are MUCH more forgiving than old school white fanboys.

Offline Mortal Man

• View Profile
« Reply #4104 on: September 01, 2017, 08:01:14 am »

To be honest (Sorry Cap Fans) i hope that TNC gets the job to write Cap and they give T'Challa to someone who will actually elevate him. Like *cough* REDJACK *Cough*

This would be perfect.  A dream come true, and since i'm not a fan of the d-riding Cap and his white privilege always gets, it would be like 2 birds with 1 stone.   8)

He came into BP with fans hungry for a solo because we've been screwed since Doom blew him up. You are more likely to take scraps and overlook sh*tty things when you are starving. Lil' hair in the box mash potatoes? oh well IM STARVING GIVE IT TO ME.

Cap fan's ain't starvin. They know damn well he is going to have a book, every month, forever. And they are old school white fan boys who are already angry about hydra cap/falcap/ect.

If he thought BP fans were rough (he said comic fans were more vocal than "race topic" twitter people) then he is in a world of hurt. Minorities are MUCH more forgiving than old school white fanboys.

3 birds, 1 stone.   8)

Offline Beware Of Geek

• View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: September 01, 2017, 12:14:15 pm »
So I don't have to re-read, why was Ezra killed?

Reasons! 

(Seriously, we don't even know WHO did it, forget about why.)

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: September 01, 2017, 08:42:31 pm »
Just going to leave this here, another fine Job from workhorse pictures

https://youtu.be/BnpPeHu6bKE

Offline CvilleWakandan

• View Profile
« Reply #4107 on: September 02, 2017, 12:00:15 pm »
The action was good. Didn't like the genocide in Wakanda sub story. Reminds me of Hotel Rawanda. Anything BP post Hudlin should try to avoid those types of stories. Not saying internal tribal fighting shouldn't happen, but keep it honorable. Battles on a field like warriors not random violence. Story is similar to Doomwar and you all know how I feel about that. lol.

Online 4sake

• View Profile
« Reply #4108 on: September 06, 2017, 11:32:56 am »

This would be perfect.  A dream come true, and since i'm not a fan of the d-riding Cap and his white privilege always gets, it would be like 2 birds with 1 stone.   8)

3 birds, 1 stone.   8)

Can't be better said
Pull List

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
« Reply #4109 on: September 18, 2017, 12:17:15 pm »
There are several problems with all things Black Panther in comic books these days. The first is multi tiered. Post Priest, Marvel has been using non comic book writers with varying degrees of talent or lack thereof to pen the Black Panther's solos. Most of these authors present inconsistent and conflicting interpretations of the characters and their settings and more often than not, have personal agendas that contradict, misalign and improperly politicized the ethos of the Black Panther.

This is compounded by the second problem, which is the sidelining of the Black Panther. Too many writers have marginalized T'Challa's contributions to the point of rendering him little more than a guest star in his own title. Thus T'Challa is burdened by incessant, underwhelming costars, non credentialized villains whose threat factor is beneath the notice of one such as the Black Panther. Let us not forget to mention T"Challa's lackluster performances in crossovers and big events. Most recent the Black Panther is being perpetually castigated by the lewd expository of literary exhibitionists. These self pleasuring writers engage in nothing less than opportunistic mental masturbation.

The third problem challenging the Black Panther is editorial's (and whomever else is in charge) complete lack of insistence and guidance, which has resulted in a perpetual failure to launch mode with regards to the Black Panther being the very definition of Afro-Futurism and Afrakan centered heroism.

However as with any problem there is a solution.

BP710:THE PROTOCOLS
Coming soon.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 11:39:33 pm by Ture »
Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more