Poll

BP710 Story Ideas     Deadlines for selection: November 22, 2017

Death Be Not Proud-The final days of T'Chaka the Black Panther
1 (16.7%)
Lost in Space-The search for the Vibranium asteroid field
2 (33.3%)
Doomwar-The Black Payback: T'Challa v Doom as it should've been
0 (0%)
Black on Black violence-The on panel fight between the Black Panther and Black Dwarf
0 (0%)
Where is the Love-The romance of T'Challa and Ororo
0 (0%)
Sweat of the Panther-Steampunk Wakanda
1 (16.7%)
Beware Of Geek's Reply #4210 on: October 22, 2017, 07:39:29 am
1 (16.7%)
Battle's Supreme nomination  Reply #4208 on: October 22, 2017, 04:59:32 am
1 (16.7%)
Kickin' it with Kip Lewis Reply #4238 on: October 25, 2017, 08:21:20 pm
0 (0%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: November 22, 2017, 07:45:54 pm

Author Topic: BP710: THE PROTOCOLS - REQUIEM IMMATURA - Vibranium Man is here! (Preview)  (Read 1795791 times)

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Priest is definitely first, I would say then Hudlin with a close third from Ridley. Only because he has TOO much on there especially a certain weather getting more prominence on the cover than she deserves.

Coates is dead last with a special note of if he came correct, didn't have the flags burning as well as all the nonsense that came with his era, I would say that the cover rivals Priests. 

I see we see eye to eye on the covers Brother Ezyo. One of the things that make covers stand out to me is them being victory conscious of the title character. I remember too many of my favorite characters being too often in peril or in the throngs of defeat on the covers and that was a turn off. Old Iron Man comics come to mind. I also remember when covers presented the characters so cool that I was in awe. Todd McFarlane and Jim Lee come to mind as do a host of other artists.

While I may be getting way ahead of myself, this was one of my favorite BP covers.

I bought three copies before even reading the comic.

Aesthetics 6250 A.U. - axis afrakan. expression unlimited.
http://pyakule.com/magazine.html
Special Black Panther Edition and more

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
In the time before these four writers took on the mantle of the king of Wakanda the primary Black Panther work was done by McGregor. So the question begging to be asked was how seminal will McGregor's work be to these new stories. I grew up liking Don's Black Panther. Sure T'Challa got some serious beat downs, no excuses but that was an era of such for many heroes. Spidey took beatings from his aged college professor and a doo rag wearing Puerto Rican with drugged tip pointed shoes. Daredevil got his licks from a 10th rate Joker wanna be named the Jester. Batman got it from not only an umbrella wielding Penguin but also the rolly, polly Tweedledum and Tweedledee. Superman got it from the Toyman. I could on but you get the point.

FIRST PAGE

Now back to our reason for being here. Ahh, the first page, the tone setter. Anticipation meets expectation and we hope their union is a fruitful one. The first page is all about the foreplay for a relaunch and new rendering. It is the gatekeeper and can be either welcoming or discouraging. The first page has the first words you will read and the first pictures you will see and if done correctly will contextualize the narrative.

Let us examine these all too important introductory pages.

Priest went for shock value by going off the rails with his page one. Rats, housing project and a white boy sitting on the toilet cast as the narrator. This Black Panther somehow seemed poised for ghetto prominence. What was next, T'Challa on some turntables? Ross' narrations set a comedic tone that I wasn't prepared to receive and as a result, I was quick to turn the page.

Beautiful tribal masks adorn a setting sun as it descends behind distant mountains. We are transported back in time to Wakanda 5th century A.D. to view ancient history in action. It on this day we will witness the fate of an invading war party as they head straight to Wakanda. Hudlin's first page delivered warmth and the Afrakan aesthetic. Once again, I was quick to turn the page.

T'Challa... taking a knee, his head bleeding all while being scolded. The Black Panther discarded, dismayed, dismissed and just plain ole dissed. This reads like how to disrespect the man who fought successfully to reestablish the known universe. Needless to say, I was hesitant to turn the page.

Ok, BP looks kind of cool as we go from the extreme close up of viewing the textured pattern of his vibranium habit to seeing his descent from above. His inner dialogue... seemed somewhat misplaced, somehow less authentic. Ok I'm game, I'll turn the page.

If i were to rank them best to worst Hudlin comes in first due to its aesthetic and approach followed by Ridley who had mystique going for him. Priest gets third due to his penchant for humor and Coates comes in last because he set the tone going forward with an already hobbled Black Panther... on page one no less.

Next: IMPACT OF FIRST BP APPEARANCE!

« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 09:42:58 pm by Ture »

Offline Kimoyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Agreed!

Peace,

Mont

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Agreed!

Peace,

Mont

Right on Kimoyo!

« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 08:31:22 am by Ture »

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
I Got Issues... The Number Ones - First issue's impact! will continue after these brief public service announcement.

THE BRIEF HISTORY OF LION MAN, THE FIRST BLACK SUPERHERO
by Tai Gooden
Feb 3 2022 • 8:00 AM

Black History Month often celebrates many pivotal “firsts” in various arenas, including the pop culture and geek space. In our current world, it is not unusual to see Black heroes thriving both in print and on screen. The gargantuan success of films like Black Panther and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse along with TV shows like Black Lightning more than proves what we’ve already known: Black heroes are beloved and needed in the entertainment realm. When thinking about the first Black superhero, most people point to Black Panther, the Jack Kirby and Stan Lee character who first appeared in Fantastic Four #52 in July 1966. However, the first Black superhero in US comics was actually Lion Man. Let’s dive into this character and the comic he originates from.

In 1947, a Black journalist named Orrin Cromwell Evans was working for the Philadelphia Record, an all-white publication, as a general news writer when the news producer shuttered. Needless to say, there were things Evans wanted to write about, specifically racial inequality, that he could not do. So, Evans created his own space to use comics as a medium for telling stories about Black experiences. He teamed with two former Record editors, Harry T. Saylor and Bill Driscoll, to found All-Negro Comics, Inc. In June 1947, they published All-Negro Comics #1. The 48-page book with a color cover and anthology of stories featured a range of characters, including Lion Man.

Evans’ editorial message to readers radiates with pride in producing something groundbreaking with only Black creators involved:

Dear Readers: This is the first issue of All-Negro Comics, jam-packed with fast action, African adventure, good clean humor and fantasy. Every brush stroke and pen line in the drawings on these pages are by Negro artists… This publication is another milestone in the splendid history of Negro journalism. All-Negro Comics will not only give Negro artists an opportunity gainfully to use their talents, but it will glorify Negro historical achievements.

It is clear that Evans aimed to open doors for Black talent to shine. And, he also viewed comics as a serious storytelling medium, something that some people still don’t do ’til this day. The first Black superhero, Lion Man, appears on the comic’s front cover in the upper left hand corner. His garb resembles Tarzan with only a cloth covering his loins and he boasts quite an interesting backstory.

He’s a scientist whom the United Nations tasks with watching over Magic Mountain somewhere in Africa’s Gold Coast region. The area has enough Uranium for a deadly bomb; therefore, Lion Man must report any suspect activity to prevent war. But he does a little more than feed information. He’s full on knocking folks out in this comic. Panels of a Black hero putting white antagonists on their back likely didn’t go over too well with the general white public.

Of course, this boldness from All-Negro Comics, Inc. had unfortunate and devastating repercussions. When Evans tried to publish a second issue, racist distributors allegedly blocked him from purchasing the newspaper materials to do so. And white publishers began to produce their own “Black comics” where they could control the narrative as they saw fit. There’s no way to “prove” that this took place but, considering the deep racial inequity of this time, it isn’t hard to add things up. So that was the beginning and very swift end of Lion Man’s story, which is a shame considering the gift that the first Black superhero was to many people during an oppressive era. Evans went back into mainstream journalism and died in 1971.

Grabbing an original copy of All-Negro Comics’ only issue with Lion Man’s story is nearly impossible. There don’t seem to be any official places to read it online but it is in the public domain now so there are PDFs and such to explore. And, maybe some wonderful creator will decide to bring Lion Man back for more adventures. We will never really know to what extend Lion Man inspired characters like Black Panther. But he is a vital part of Black comic history who is worthy of honor. These creators laid a foundation for future independent Black comic artists to craft their own characters and build narratives as they saw fit. Long live Lion Man.

https://nerdist.com/article/history-of-lion-man-first-black-superhero-all-negro-comics-orrin-evans/

« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 10:59:55 am by Ture »

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group

courtesy of CBR's Marvell2100

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
The Future of Wakanda...

Wakanda's answer to Miles Morales... Tosin Oduye.

A union of Jabari and Shi'ar... the new Warbird.

A second printing.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 03:07:31 pm by Ture »

Offline Ezyo

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
IF Tosin is handled correctly, this could very well be a good new character to interact with Miles and showcase good expansion of the BP mythos, BUT in order for it to work, Tosin must see that his view is wrong. He thinks he knows whats beat and T'Challa is wrong but he has to see that it's not so black and white, and that the mute zone NEEDS the golden city because they are the ones who give them the peace they enjoy. If it's not done that way then I don't care for that

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
IF Tosin is handled correctly, this could very well be a good new character to interact with Miles and showcase good expansion of the BP mythos, BUT in order for it to work, Tosin must see that his view is wrong. He thinks he knows whats beat and T'Challa is wrong but he has to see that it's not so black and white, and that the mute zone NEEDS the golden city because they are the ones who give them the peace they enjoy. If it's not done that way then I don't care for that

In addition, I want T'Challa to demonstrate his use of natural enhancement through the use of organic Vb. One thing the Black Panther's legacy has proven is that T'Challa is not a one trick pony. The Black Panther bonding with Tosin and kind of mentoring him after showing off his mastery of Vb would be a good place to start their bonding... after of course the prerequisite civil war fiasco and governmental meltdown.

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA

In addition, I want T'Challa to demonstrate his use of natural enhancement through the use of organic Vb. One thing the Black Panther's legacy has proven is that T'Challa is not a one trick pony. The Black Panther bonding with Tosin and kind of mentoring him after showing off his mastery of Vb would be a good place to start their bonding... after of course the prerequisite civil war fiasco and governmental meltdown.

Like almost everyone else here, I'm more than tired of the "civil war, government meltdown" scenarios being regularly tossed Wakanda's way. Can't writers think up a beter approach? Something that's innovative yet not inherently damaging to Wakanda?

Oh yeah. We already have an absolutely GREAT guy for that. So of COURSE Marvel's dumb butts aren't putting him in charge of the writing for BP.

RED to the JACK.
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
The Wakanda story in Marvel voices was good. They brought back Daniel Kibblesmiths' day of the dead holiday and added a magical component in a pretty organic way.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Does it reads as well and with the Afrakan sensibilities of Tochi Onyebuchi' or Juni Ba?

Offline Ture

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • Pya Kule Design Group
Exclusive: Avengers Forever #6 Introduces a New Variant of T’Challa
BLAIR MARNELL WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 16, 2022

Last year, writer Jason Aaron and artist Aaron Kuder relaunched Avengers Forever as an ongoing series starring the Avengers of the Multiverse. And the heroes have their hands full with the Multiversal Masters of Evil. But this May, a familiar face is joining the fight and making his debut in Avengers Forever #6. Aaron and artist Jim Towe are about to introduce the T’Challa of a world where he was never Black Panther. Instead, the former Prince of Wakanda has become the Invincible Vibranium Man!

“This issue kicks off a new arc that explores the Pillars of the Avengers, the core of the core, in all-new incarnations from across the multiverse,” explained Aaron. “This first chapter is all about T’Challa, from an alternate earth where Wakanda has been wiped out by the version of Killmonger who wears the Asgardian Destroyer armor and has been raising hell as part of the new Multiversal Masters of Evil. Cut off from his birthright and desperate to avenge his fallen nation, T’Challa must become something surprising and new: the Vibranium Man, a version of the character that takes the Prince of Wakanda to some wildly unexpected new heights.“

Here’s the cover for the issue by Kuder.

Here’s the official description from Marvel.

“INTRODUCING THE INVINCIBLE VIBRANIUM MAN!

On an alternate Earth where Wakanda has been crushed from existence and where the Black Panther is a forgotten legend, one man known as T’Challa will forge a new legacy for himself and perhaps even hope for a planet caught in the grips of the god-slaughtering King Killmonger.”

Avengers Forever #6 will hit comic book stores on Wednesday, May 25

https://www.superherohype.com/comics/511346-exclusive-avengers-forever-6-introduces-a-new-variant-of-tchalla

The penchant for destroying Wakanda and disrupting or obfuscating the Black Panther to get some traction on a new tale is trite and tiresome. Produce something new and original to play off of. I also would have preferred a cooler more distinct appellation. Something like Isipho - Wielder of the Gift. just saying... put a little creative effort in, it could pay great dividends. Costume should had paid more homage to the vibraium charged habit rather than to Iron Man. Anyway I hope he has a unique power set and we get a good read.

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Story wise it's just a side sitcom type story. But it implies that Wakanda has a magic school and gets creative with how users can be discovered.
Reggie Hudlin-
 "I think my Panther run traumatized a lot of folks with its explicit blackness.  But you can't win unless you commit to something."

Offline CvilleWakandan

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Marvel has a habit of destroying kingdoms. They think it adds shock value, but like Atlantis, there is only so many times you can destroy it and bring it back before it because a troupe and is not as effective as writers believe.
Reggie Hudlin-