Author Topic: First International School for Children of Interracial Marriages to open  (Read 7673 times)

Offline Marvelous

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
(LEAD) First international school for children of interracial marriages to open
By Kim Young-gyo
SEOUL, Dec. 15 (Yonhap) -- The first international school for children of interracial marriages will open in South Korea in 2008, a nongovernmental organization said Friday.

The group Christian Solidarity for Multicultural and International Education said it aims to establish a school that can provide an educational environment in which children from interracial marriages can learn in Korean, English and other languages.

It is a joint project carried out by about 20 leading personnel from the religious, diplomatic, judicial and business communities, the organization said.

Interracial marriages have shot up in South Korea, mostly between Korean men and women from other Asian countries. Of all registered marriages in South Korea last year, 13.6 percent were interracial, up significantly from 1.2 percent in 1990.

The organization said it has secured 2,200 square meters of land for the school in Gyeonggi Province, and will receive approval for construction from the Ministry of Education after it fully meets the criteria for the foundation of an alternative learning school.

It plans to complete construction by the end of next year.

In the first semester, which is expected to start in 2008, 50 students will be enrolled, 40 of whom will be children from interracial marriages.

In order to change the views of South Korea's homogeneous society, the school will also be open to children whose parents are both Korean.

The organization is raising funds from South Korean and foreign investors for the construction and operation of the school. It will ask the South Korean government for financial assistance when the government unveils measures to support interracial families beginning next year.

Today, the majority of interracial children are the offspring of Korean men and women from Vietnam, the Philippines, Thailand and Pakistan, among others.

The population of "Kosians" -- children of mixed Korean and other Asian descent -- is estimated to be about 30,000. The number is rising with the increase in such marriages and migrant manual workers coming into the country.

Although most of them are South Korean nationals, the children of interracial marriages endure discrimination by fellow students.

The rate of such children who do not enter or finish primary school is 9.4 percent, and the middle-school dropout rate is 17.5 percent, according to 2002 figures by a nongovernmental group.

The organization said it is preparing a unique program for the children, starting with second-language courses in which they can learn their parents' mother tongues in addition to Korean and English.

"School education is very important for those children. We will also provide one-on-one mentoring program," said Rev. Shin Sang-rok, the chief officer for the organization.

ygkim@yna.co.kr
(END)

...comments.

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
  • "intelligent and slightly Black. I'm from the 80s"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: First International School for Children of Interracial Marriages to open
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 06:10:27 am »
Ummm...
Put all the 'special kids' in a 'special school'?
The fact that there are language issues might make it a more valid need, but is that really something that can't be dealt with without establishing a 'separate but equal' school system? This sounds more like a way fro Korea to avoid this issue, rather than a way to help them change their attitudes, but their may be very different cultural issues going on here to those I'm used to.

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman
http://yo

Offline KamiKaZee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 09:14:36 am »

I didn't know "Korean" was a race.  I thought it was a nationality.

If All You Do Is What You've Done, Then All You'll Get Is What You've Got.

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 11:58:57 am »
I think it works like this:
If they believe it's a race, it is.  You know, just like everywhere else.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline KamiKaZee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 12:06:17 pm »

So you're saying that just because one believes something, that makes it true?

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 12:26:32 pm »
Not generally.  With respect to race, yes, if enough ones believe it.  Race is a social construct, not a biological principle. 
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline KamiKaZee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 01:05:07 pm »
Not generally.  With respect to race, yes, if enough ones believe it.  Race is a social construct, not a biological principle. 

Okay.  Well me and enough of the other mixies believe that it's true that we are
hybrids and therefore superior to single "race" people.  So go sit your inferior butt
down.  Thank you.

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 01:23:26 am »
IAWC.
Race is social - no one thinks that White people with blonde hair are a different race to White people with brown hair, but it's probably as much difference as ther is between, say, a Korean and a Botswanan. As Redjack said many times in the past, there really isn't any ratioanl basis for discussions on race - it simply doesn't exist, except as a social construct.

Although, obviously Kami's right about us mixies being superior, although I told you kami, it's "Wise Son's People" now. ;)

"Children, if you are tired, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going."
-Harriet Tubman

Offline KamiKaZee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 01:32:06 am »
IAWC.
Race is social - no one thinks that White people with blonde hair are a different race to White people with brown hair, but it's probably as much difference as ther is between, say, a Korean and a Botswanan. As Redjack said many times in the past, there really isn't any ratioanl basis for discussions on race - it simply doesn't exist, except as a social construct.

Although, obviously Kami's right about us mixies being superior, although I told you kami, it's "Wise Son's People" now. ;)

I beg to differ.  Mr. Hitler thought blondes and brunettes were different races. 
He wanted all "his" Germans to be blue eyed blondes.  How soon we forget.

Anyway, bow down to the mixies all you subordinate inferior races!!!

Mixies RULE!!!  :D

Offline Marvelous

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • PhotograFX
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 02:05:26 am »
IAWC.

I beg to differ.  Mr. Hitler thought blondes and brunettes were different races. 

Wooohoo for mixies.  Im Indian, Irish, English and German!   ;D

"2. IF YOU DON'T READ THE BOOK BUT ARE WILLING TO ARGUE ABOUT IT EITHER YOU ARE:
a) An idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about.
b) A liar who is a fan who can't admit it to himself or others."

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 02:37:24 am »

OK, so not everybody thought they were different races. One of the most insane and evil bastards ever did, so I think the essential thrust of my point remains - it's a social construct. Hell, if Hitler had won, by now, blondes and brunettes would be considered separate races, thus further reinforcing the artificialness of such classification.

Mixie Power!

-Harriet Tubman

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 06:56:41 am »
Hitler doesn't count. After all... was he blond haired and blue-eyed?

J.R. LeMar

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 02:42:21 pm »
<Black mother, White father, and I'm left-handed. So, clearly, I'm superior over you all.

GrimSkill

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2006, 09:28:01 pm »
IAWC.

OK IT's ON NOW!!! >:( :) ;)

I Have Indian in my Blood but I Clame Black!! and I thought yall were gonna be on our side for the Race War, But I see im gonna have to take out you AND! the white folks!!

*Ties a Bandana on his forehead and dose his Xena Warrior Princess Scream* WIZESON's People are going Down!!

Offline Wise Son

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 11:07:49 pm »
OK IT's ON NOW!!! >:( :) ;)

I Have Indian in my Blood but I Clame Black!! and I thought yall were gonna be on our side for the Race War, But I see im gonna have to take out you AND! the white folks!!

*Ties a Bandana on his forehead and dose his Xena Warrior Princess Scream* WIZESON's People are going Down!!
Wise Son's People are genetically incapable of 'race war', as we explode if we even consider anything so stupid. ;)

-Harriet Tubman