Author Topic: What teachers really want to tell parents  (Read 8681 times)

Offline Maxine Shaw

• HEF Attorney-at-LOL
    • View Profile
What teachers really want to tell parents
« on: May 07, 2013, 10:23:13 pm »
Read it. Read it again. Print it out. Write it down and commit it to memory.

This summer, I met a principal who was recently named as the administrator of the year in her state. She was loved and adored by all, but she told me she was leaving the profession.

I screamed, "You can't leave us," and she quite bluntly replied, "Look, if I get an offer to lead a school system of orphans, I will be all over it, but I just can't deal with parents anymore; they are killing us."

Unfortunately, this sentiment seems to be becoming more and more prevalent. Today, new teachers remain in our profession an average of just 4.5 years, and many of them list "issues with parents" as one of their reasons for throwing in the towel. Word is spreading, and the more negativity teachers receive from parents, the harder it becomes to recruit the best and the brightest out of colleges.

To paraphrase Trick Daddy: I love the kids. It's the parents I hate.

Bonus: whiny parents fight back
She wanted attention and that's what she got. - more words of wisdom from HEF's favorite rape apologist TripleX

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: What teachers really want to tell parents
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 02:16:42 pm »
Is anybody surprised by this?

Anybody at all?

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 07:15:06 am »
Not at all.

Offline Metro

• View Profile
    • Monmouth University
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 09:37:45 am »

If you would suggest three changes in the ways parents approach educators, what would you offer?

For my part, I'd say:

1. Be patient. 
2. Believe they want the best for your children until they demonstrate otherwise.
3. Participate in school-related activities at least once a month to know the staff outside of formal discussions about your children.
Dean Walter Greason
The Honors School
Monmouth University
(twitter) @worldprofessor

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 11:41:25 pm »
There is NO f'n WAY in hell would I ever reconsider another shot at a career in (public) education teaching  some low-life, nickel & dimer's child or some racist, redneck's child...!

No. F'n. Way.

Offline sherelled

• View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4555092605573&set=a.1551655401520.77168.1539197080&type=1&theater
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 08:37:43 am »
Wow I had to pause my morning activities to answer this one. I am part of LAUSD and this is the hottest button in our district right now. LAUSD just passed a sanction that says a student can no longer be suspended for being defiant in the classroom. I am shaking my head side to side on this one so much so I can hear the marbles clanking around :o. The district believes a teacher should show more love to this mentally unstable student that he or she doesn't get from home. C'mon a child gets bused to school from the ghetto watching all the *hit that goes down with mama and them. Comes to school acts like a lunatic and we are suppose to show love? Then you have those same ghetto parents in your face as soon as you kick this unruly student out. How the hell are we suppose to teach the other children who want to learn? I agree with all of you. Teachers and administrators have to deal with baggage that they are not paid for nor are they equip with psychiatric degrees to handle these monsters. Yes, I am angry that a bunch of white, grey haired assholes made a decision like that. They can go home to their mansions in the hills and let their Susie's and Tommie's get away with bomb making and gun ordering. While teachers have to deal with the under belly.  >:(

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 02:13:14 pm »
C'mon a child gets bused to school from the ghetto watching all the *hit that goes down with mama and them. Comes to school acts like a lunatic and we are suppose to show love? Then you have those same ghetto parents in your face as soon as you kick this unruly student out. How the hell are we suppose to teach the other children who want to learn? I agree with all of you.

Those same ghetto parent(s) view the public education system as some kind of child nursery or day care center; they don't respect education as a launch pad for success like normal citizens do or else they would've utilized an education themselves.  It's a horrible,  generational, recurring nightmare.   
It never used to be like this.
I've noticed this conditioning happened right after reagan became president.

[throws 2 pennies into the cipher] 

Offline Mr. Peejay

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 10:04:07 am »
As a teacher of 201 years i want to say that ... (ahem) We are supposed to do all of those things that the aforementioned does not want to do, or think we shouldn't have to do. We are supposed to wipe asses and noses, rub backs, take the shirts off our backs, help parent and help parents. We raise/create society. The problems with doing all of these things are: We don't get the appreciation, the support, nor the pay to make this happen safely and happily.

If you were appreciated the way you needed, by principals, families, and administration, you could feel the the daily progress immediately.
If you were paid a salary that would show the effort, process, and, seriously, love you put into your craft, you could feel it monthly.
If the Administration made Education a necessity, a staple, an important part of our society (as important, or more important than their job), we would know this eternally.

The reason why none of this is possible is because Public Education is supposed to fail. It is supposed to create a working class to work for the rich to exploit; We all can't be doctors, someone has to work under minimum wage. It has been redesigned to keep parents that Battle talks about from coming into existence. The System is designed to under-educate The People.

Between the parents that don't give a flying fig, and the parents that are in denial about their little terrors, we are screwed.... ESPECIALLY when we don't have full support from our Admin. We cannot always rely on the teacher next door, not all of us are doing it right either...If the teachers that had their kids before us were doing their jobs correctly, we can undo all the crap their parents fill their egos with. Its harder to undo privilege than it is to undo stupid. They expect us to be saints and collect a saint's pay, they think we are baby-sitters, they think this job is easy. They don't know what Education is....If the worst part is Parents, the next is Admin.

Offline sherelled

• View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4555092605573&set=a.1551655401520.77168.1539197080&type=1&theater
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 02:12:20 pm »
Awesome Mr. Peejay

Offline Maxine Shaw

• HEF Attorney-at-LOL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 03:09:23 pm »
The problems with doing all of these things are: We don't get the appreciation, the support, nor the pay to make this happen safely and happily.

Not the training, either. I thank God that I was a substitute teacher before I started teacher school (as we sarcastically call it), and was a paraprofessional before that. I earned an Associates of Arts in Teaching (Texas has no bachelor's in education), and my teaching classes didn't teach me sh*t. I know that going through the M.Ed. program is going to teach me even LESS sh*t, just with a mentor teacher. You don't learn how to teach by writing research papers, and you learn very little of how to teach by observing (because it's not your class and you're probably watching a seasoned pro). You learn to teach by TEACHING. You have to be in the trenches, period. It does NOT take six years (two for AAT, two more for BA and two more for MA) to be a freaking teacher.

Additionally, stop pushing good, young teachers into administration!!! I recently met a 27-year-old vice principal. That's BULLsh*t. When I was a para, the VP there had taught 5th grade math for a whopping three years. Three years! And now she's an assistant principal! BULLsh*t!!!! Nobody should be allowed to be a VP until they have done at LEAST 10 years in the trenches (I say 15). I believe a head admin must show that s/he has done 15 years in a classroom setting, PLUS a minimum of five years administration. Sorry to you counselors, librarians, and art/music/PE teachers. You're valuable and we need you desperately, but that's not good enough for admin.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 03:16:38 pm by Maxine Shaw »
She wanted attention and that's what she got. - more words of wisdom from HEF's favorite rape apologist TripleX

Offline Mr. Peejay

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 10:39:26 am »
We are the village the proverb is talking about.

Not the training, either. I thank God that I was a substitute teacher before I started teacher school (as we sarcastically call it), and was a paraprofessional before that. I earned an Associates of Arts in Teaching (Texas has no bachelor's in education), and my teaching classes didn't teach me sh*t. I know that going through the M.Ed. program is going to teach me even LESS sh*t, just with a mentor teacher. You don't learn how to teach by writing research papers, and you learn very little of how to teach by observing (because it's not your class and you're probably watching a seasoned pro). You learn to teach by TEACHING. You have to be in the trenches, period. It does NOT take six years (two for AAT, two more for BA and two more for MA) to be a freaking teacher.

I can't imagine where they get these people to teach these teacher classes, they know nothing. Are they teachers that got the pink slip and had nothing else to do? In all my years, I found three sources valuable, besides other teachers that didn't suck (RARE):
  • http://www.responsiveclassroom.org/ These folks have this way to teach that makes your Admin crazy, they hate it. It works towards no test, it only teaches kids to learn, sucks, right?
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggio_Emilia_approach Imagine, kids learning through what they care about?
  • And ONE teacher at teacher school... even though I KNEW all the previous things on this list, she helped put all I'd learned together. A little old White southern woman; Dr. Marianne Everett.

One of the biggest disservices they put on you, is doing your teaching hours with an incompetent teacher

Additionally, stop pushing good, young teachers into administration!!! I recently met a 27-year-old vice principal. That's BULLsh*t. When I was a para, the VP there had taught 5th grade math for a whopping three years. Three years! And now she's an assistant principal! BULLsh*t!!!! Nobody should be allowed to be a VP until they have done at LEAST 10 years in the trenches (I say 15). I believe a head admin must show that s/he has done 15 years in a classroom setting, PLUS a minimum of five years administration.

What does a 27 year old know how to manage people and educational ideas of their staff if they've never put them to test? Every thing in this paragraph is more than right; It should be law. Only adding- Superintendant needs 10 years as a principal....

OOOOOPS!! I meant 21 years!I've only been teaching for 21.. :-[

Offline sherelled

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 01:11:04 pm »
Maxine I am feeling you on all points. These youngin's have know idea what "seasoned" means. I work for administrators that are as young as my sons. The main office manager is just as "Ghetto" as some of the parents that come in there. She should be wiser and show much more "reserve" then she does but oh well. It is what it is. I have tried my very best to bring on a stable and trustworthy environment between teachers and parents. I am afraid with this new ruling children are going to show their "arses" in classrooms. The teachers that we have are going to end up leaving. And then where will we be? :-\

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 02:47:20 pm »
There is a holistic approach toward education that will never be implemented in America. The issue of nutrition in schools alone is indicative of this reality. You have millions of kids entering school from a physical and mental deficit all because of diet. I think in the history of the world there hasn't been so many malnourished people who consume so much food.

The anti-intellectualism of this country is also something that msut be taken into account. It is easy to scapegoat Black youth as being pre-occupied with materialism and debauchery as though their White counterparts are not. The difference is that one group sets the rules and can determine whose practice is more sanctified than the others.

Offline Mr. Peejay

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 10:47:52 am »
There are are a few schools out there...
They're just not public schools..

Offline The Griot

• View Profile
    • MVmedia
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 04:32:21 am »
My wife has taught over thirty years. Next year she's retiring and she can't wait. Like stated before, she says the children are bad and the parents are worse. When I was a child black people in general saw education as a way out and a way up. It was drilled in our heads that we had to have a good education to make it; I was raised to believe that a college degree was the ultimate goal and there was no other choice. Anything less was failure.

That being said, the simple truth is that education begins at home. If the parents don't care, the children definitely won't. My wife will tell you that the children that do the best generally come from households where the parents are actively involved in that child's education. Not active by only showing up when their child is punished, or performing on the step team, but paying constant attention to their child's progress.

Somewhere along the way we lost our focus. I hope we get it back.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 06:58:03 am by The Griot »
"Happiness is dancing when the drumming is good."