Author Topic: Star Trek Into Darkness Review  (Read 24856 times)

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Star Trek Into Darkness Review
« on: May 16, 2013, 02:41:37 pm »
Just got back from this theater. I've got mixed feelings about it. I think for the casual fan they will like it, especially if they liked the Trek 2009 film. I don't think it works as well as a Trek film. There were some nice nods and then some cringe worthy moments, at least for me.

I don't want to go into details yet, but might provide a more detailed, spoiler-filled review once the film has been out for a minute.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Review
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 11:11:20 pm »
I had a great time.  A logical extension of the reboot.  Good use of 3D.  All the ensemble gets their moments, although Spock is ultimately the star. 

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 02:01:55 am »
I partly agree with your conclusions. I can see what you meant in terms of logical extension when it comes to Kirk's behavior, the Uhura-Spock relationship, and maybe Starfleet's response to the destruction of Vulcan, but the story starts falls apart and the actions of some of the antagonists don't make much sense, unless you look at in the light of the writers having to bend and shape things to get a certain person into this film. And that person wasn't even necessary to tell the basic story I think they wanted to tell (about terrorism, security v. civil liberties, the importance of family, maturation, sacrifice, and the costs of vengeance), or at least those are the themes I think they were trying to get at. Once that big twist or reveal happens the film then becomes an inferior mash up of better past episodes/movies, and even lifts lines straight from one of them. But since the new film/actors don't have the same chemistry or shared experience it comes off as a poor imitation if not a mockery.

And while it is true that all of the ensemble get their moments, not all moments were equal. For example I thought Chekov was very underused and the new role they put him in didn't make sense. However Trek 2009 started that trend of questionable personnel decisions, so that goes back under your logical extension of the reboot argument. I do agree with you that Spock was the star and Quinto nailed it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 02:05:54 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Blanks

• Publishing my own comics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 11:09:05 am »
I watched it Wednesday night at midnight. midnight watching it, I loved it. While at work yesterday and letting my mind rewind and think about the film, I couldn't help but feel "After waiting for four years since the last one, this is all I got?"

Offline Rockscissorspaper

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 02:44:25 pm »
It was just okay, IMO. The effects were very good of course but the story itself...eh.

I agree that Chekov was underused this time, as was Sulu. Maybe they'll give them something more to do the next go round, like they did with Uhura and Bones this time.
HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/comics

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 04:40:49 pm »
I watched it Wednesday night at midnight. midnight watching it, I loved it. While at work yesterday and letting my mind rewind and think about the film, I couldn't help but feel "After waiting for four years since the last one, this is all I got?"

SPOILERS!!!

That was a question I asked myself. I mean, after four years and with a franchise now set in an alternate reality the best they could do was mash up Space Seed, the Enterprise Augment trilogy and Wrath of Khan? They had the opportunity to do anything but instead took an easy, uncreative route.

Into Darkness fell into the common trap that almost every Trek film since Khan has done and that is try to redo Khan. Into Darkness took it a step further with their semi-remake of Khan. Harrison didn't have to be Khan though for them to tell the story they told. Khan was only a big 'valentine' to fans and perhaps to some in the general audience who had heard of Khan but didn't know much beyond that. This story didn't need Khan. In part Khan works because of that history he shared with Kirk and crew due to "Space Seed" and even if you didn't watch that show before watching Wrath of Khan Montalban just sold this man being burned out, hollowed by hate, and the actors just sold the idea that they had history. But comparing the new Khan to the Khan of the 60's episode Space Seed, I still think Montalban was more charismatic. Cumberbatch looked menacing, but he was too glacial for my taste. I thought he did well enough acting, but that character really didn't feel like Khan to me.

I wish they had left him Harrison and even with the same motivation. They could've flashed to one of the tubes and saw Khan's name stenciled on it. I mean the alternate reality didn't need for Khan to be woken up first, it could've been one of the other fugitives.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 12:45:02 pm »
My first thought upon the show ending:  "replay!". I guess I really liked it.

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 07:26:10 pm »
Okay movie but not even close to this...

Or this...

Offline sherelled

• View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4555092605573&set=a.1551655401520.77168.1539197080&type=1&theater
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 08:19:44 pm »
 8)Okay it's been a minute since I have been on this here website. Took a Hyades ;D. I have not seen the movie yet. I intend to with my sisters when I head to SD for the holiday. Buttera yous guys aren't giving it the best review. Should I wait until it comes out on DVD? ???

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 04:26:55 am »
I'm a diehard Trek fan so if you are I recommend it too, if for nothing else getting your curiosity sated. Despite my misgivings I saw it a second time. I was hoping that I my initial gut reaction had been wrong. On second viewing I don't think so, however the things that rankled me a lot the first time wasn't so bad the second time (though I can't say that that wasn't because I already knew they were coming and not because I realized how suddenly okay they were). One thing that I appreciated more was Peter Weller. A lot of people are raving over Benedict Cumberbatch but I liked Peter Weller more.

However as a big summer popcorn, sci-fi film I can recommend it more easily than as a Trek film. The film is well made, it looks very good, and it's pacing flies by. There's rarely a moment that your mind will wander. Abrams knows how to keep your attention. And the action is some of the best, if not the best, action ever depicted in a Trek film. And there is just enough social commentary in it that keeps that keeps the barest Trek feel, though substance takes a back seat to explosions.

All that being said, I rank it pretty low (unfortunately) when compared to the other Trek films.

1. The Undiscovered Country
2. The Wrath of Khan
3. First Contact
4. Star Trek (2009)
5. The Search for Spock
6.  Generations
7. The Voyage Home
8. The Final Frontier
9. Insurrection
10. Into Darkness
11. Nemesis
12. The Motion Picture
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 04:33:18 am by Emperorjones »

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 05:00:51 am »
Wow, my listing as a life long Trek fan is very different:

And I would definitely recommend it; I found it much more enjoyable than the first one.

1. The Wrath of Khan
2. First Contact
3. The Voyage Home
4. The Search for Spock
5. Into Darkness
6.  Generations
7. Star Trek (2009)
8. Insurrection
9. Undiscovered Country
10. Nemesis
11. The Motion Picture
12. The Final Frontier

Offline sherelled

• View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4555092605573&set=a.1551655401520.77168.1539197080&type=1&theater
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 06:52:36 am »
Wow Kip & Emp you two are Trekkies for real  :o I am too. I still favor the television series over any of the movies. That's just me. :)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 06:55:50 am »
Wow Kip & Emp you two are Trekkies for real  :o I am too. I still favor the television series over any of the movies. That's just me. :)

Now if you want to add TV episodes/series into the list....no my brain in will break.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 08:06:46 am »

I think Trek works better on TV than in the movies. To Abrams's credit his films are the first Trek films (with the possible exception of The Motion Picture) that look and feel like movies and not just bigger TV shows.

I got my first exposure to Trek mainly through the the original series films. ABC used to show Trek films on Sunday night, but I really got into courtesy of The Next Generation. There used to be a two hour Trek bloc in the afternoon where I grew up (TNG and TOS). I liked TNG and eventually got into TOS. But I liked the TOS movies better than that series at first. Over time I came to appreciate that series more.

My favorite Trek series is Deep Space Nine. The Dominion War is what finally put it over TNG for me.

As for films I think TOS films are the best. They marked a passage of time in a way that the TNG films didn't. It remains to be seen how much we will grow with the Abrams rebooted crew. However the Spock-Uhura romance provides an interesting way to witness the character progression in the new films, as does Kirk becoming more mature.

Ranking series:
1. Deep Space Nine (Dominion War and great character development and arc-based storytelling put this one over)
2. The Next Generation (My favorite crew still)
3. The Original Series (This one had the highest sense of adventure)
4. Enterprise (I thought ENT was the worst series until the third and really the fourth season)
5. Voyager  (I never could fully get into the characters though VOY had great production values and it did have some good villains)

Similar to how Kip feels, I don't know if I can rank individual episodes. It's very hard to do. Ah screw it, I'm going to take a stab at it.

A Top 25 (in no particular order, save #1)

1. The Best of Both Worlds (TNG)
2. City on the Edge of Forever (TOS)
3. In the Pale Moonlight (DS9)
4. All Good Things (TNG)
5. Trials and Tribble-lations (DS9)
6. Scorpion (VOY)
7. Space Seed (TOS)
8. The Visitor (DS9)
9. The Doomsday Machine (TOS)
10. What You Leave Behind (DS9)
11. The Year of Hell (VOY)
12. Chain of Command (TNG)
13. Redemption (TNG)
14. The Die is Cast (DS9)
15. The Augments Arc (ENT)
16. Mirror, Mirror (TOS)
17. Equinox (VOY)
18. Vulcan Reformation Arc (ENT)
19. The Circle Arc (DS9)
20. The Enterprise Incident (TOS)
21. Balance of Terror (TOS)
22. The Babel/United Arc (ENT)
23. The Killing Game (VOY)
24. The Way of the Warrior (DS9)
25. Sacrifice of the Angels (DS9)

There's just so many more: Q Who (TNG), Far Beyond the Stars (DS9), Timeless (VOY), Faces (VOY), Unimatrix Zero (VOY), Dark Frontier (VOY), The Jem'Hadar (DS9), Descent Part 1 (TNG), Sins of the Father (TNG), Face of the Enemy (TNG), QPid (TNG), Azati Prime (ENT), Silent Enemy (ENT), The Defector (TNG), The Menagerie (TOS), The Cage (TOS), Where No Man Has Gone Before (TOS), Errand of Mercy (TOS), The Trouble with Tribbles (TOS), The Enemy Within (TOS), Day of the Dove (TOS), Duet (DS9), Waltz (DS9), The Adversary (DS9), By Inferno's Light (DS9), Nor the Battle to the Strong (DS9), Crossover (DS9), Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges (DS9), Call to Arms (DS9), A Time to Stand (DS9), The Changing Face of Evil (DS9), Tacking it into the Wind (DS9), Rocks and Shoals (DS9), To the Death (DS9), Broken Link (DS9), Apocalypse Rising (DS9), Tears of the Prophets (DS9), House of Quark (DS9), Heart of Glory (TNG), Conspiracy (TNG), A Matter of Honor (TNG), Tapestry (TNG), Yesterday's Enterprise (TNG), Sarek (TNG), Unification (TNG), The Mind's Eye (TNG), Darmok (TNG), Datalore (TNG), Power Play (TNG), I Borg (TNG), Relics (TNG), The Pegasus (TNG), The Drum head (TNG), The Enemy (TNG), Preemptive Strike (TNG), Unity (VOY), Message in a Bottle (VOY), Broken Bow (ENT), Judgment (ENT), Renegeration (ENT), Similitude (ENT), Harbinger (ENT), Damage (ENT), Countdown (ENT), The Expanse (ENT), In a Mirror Darkly (ENT), Twilight (ENT).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 08:19:21 am by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 08:24:27 am »
Wow, my listing as a life long Trek fan is very different:

And I would definitely recommend it; I found it much more enjoyable than the first one.

1. The Wrath of Khan
2. First Contact
3. The Voyage Home
4. The Search for Spock
5. Into Darkness
6.  Generations
7. Star Trek (2009)
8. Insurrection
9. Undiscovered Country
10. Nemesis
11. The Motion Picture
12. The Final Frontier

Your list isn't that different. The biggest difference to me is where we place The Undiscovered Country. Khan had long been my favorite but I think I watched it too much. Undiscovered Country overtook it. I thought the Cold War allegory was timely and the film worked well as an end to TOS. Final Frontier should probably be ranked lower on my list, but I read the novelization before seeing the movie and I loved that book, so I've always had a soft spot for that film.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 08:26:03 am by Emperorjones »