Author Topic: Star Trek Into Darkness Review  (Read 24855 times)

Offline sherelled

• View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4555092605573&set=a.1551655401520.77168.1539197080&type=1&theater
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Review
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 09:21:16 am »
Guys you're killing me. I love that you all can name the episodes, movies etc. all I can say is that I can watch Jim. Spock and Bones forever. I can watch Deep Space 9 as well. Picard eh....he was the wisest by far. God forbid I choose to name the fave episodes.....But I'm glad you cats can. Oh yes, I think the Tribbles episode on the original series as well as the Good Kirk bad Kirk along with the two guys with the white side of the face and the black side of the face were my favorites. Spock fighting his human side comes in pretty close on the fave list. :D

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 01:09:07 pm »
Enough of this Star Trek crap it's all about Star Wars the greatest franchise of all time!

Yeah that's right I said it... I'm in full TROLL mode with the Death Star in lock and load ready to blast Trekkie planets at a moments notice!

Whoever filmed this scene right here needs to be tortured beyond belief... How dare the director have Halle Berry (My side mistress) giving up the goods over some Trekkie ish! ;)

A really good director would have used the Han Solo and Princess Leia scene from Empire Strikes Back to start the lovemaking off with because it's more intense but NOOOOO he has to use Captain Kirk and "Yoman Johnson!" ;D

SEE... That's what happens when you date a Dark Lord of The Sith's daughter beyotch!

Star Wars Episode 7: Ride or Die bring the pain J.J. Abrams! 8)

I think I know where that director who shall not be named shops for groceries... I'll catch him slippin' in aisle 7 near the Wonder Bread and the Quaker Oats with my entourage of Stormtroopers! :)

Carry on...

Offline sherelled

• View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4555092605573&set=a.1551655401520.77168.1539197080&type=1&theater
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 03:23:53 pm »
 :oReally Flex? You tryin' to go there? My first response is Baaahaaa(just joking) I have a sense of humor. I think what you posted is great. I am so happy that you have changed the "Trekkie" mode of thought here. Star Wars I was never impressed with.  :-\ After my time. Oooops did I just date myself ? Lol Once a Trekkie always a Trekkie. ;D

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 05:02:05 pm »
It's open season on all Trekkies... 8)

(Pops off Jedi robe, pulls light saber off of utility belt and uses the force to seal off all exits of escape)

Darth Hectic: "Now you will all learn the true meaning of the dark side of the force!"

Reggie Hudlin: "Is that a plaid light saber? Cool color coordinated mix!"

John Witherspoon: "See you got to co-ordinate! You don't let the force tame you you have to tame that force... BANG BANG BANG!"

Offline sherelled

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 05:08:39 pm »
Flex you have me in stitches... ;D.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 07:30:34 am »
Haven't seen the film yet but the last one had a bad action movie's grasp of internal logic.
Kirk starts out a cadet and blusters his way into a Captaincy. By sneaking onto a ship.

The trailer/commercial makes it look like Kirk is "crossing a line" to the displeasure of his superiors.

Why would Starfleet even be surprised at Kirk's acting out? If you let a dangerous fool command a ship (and the Kirk
of the '09 movie is-even if it all worked out in the end) he is going to do dangerous fool things.

You can have the Rebels of Star Wars be freewheeling mavericks because the Rebel Alliance is making it up as it goes along and they
have to take what they can get as far as personnel goes.

But there should be a lot more structure where Star Trek is concerned. Dudes just don't get to be first officers
or captains.

It took the Kirk of the original series 12 years to
become a Captain and that was a historic achievement.

You tend to have to check your brain at the door with nuTrek.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 02:59:59 pm »
Haven't seen the film yet but the last one had a bad action movie's grasp of internal logic.
Kirk starts out a cadet and blusters his way into a Captaincy. By sneaking onto a ship.

The trailer/commercial makes it look like Kirk is "crossing a line" to the displeasure of his superiors.

Why would Starfleet even be surprised at Kirk's acting out? If you let a dangerous fool command a ship (and the Kirk
of the '09 movie is-even if it all worked out in the end) he is going to do dangerous fool things.

You can have the Rebels of Star Wars be freewheeling mavericks because the Rebel Alliance is making it up as it goes along and they
have to take what they can get as far as personnel goes.

But there should be a lot more structure where Star Trek is concerned. Dudes just don't get to be first officers
or captains.

It took the Kirk of the original series 12 years to
become a Captain and that was a historic achievement.

You tend to have to check your brain at the door with nuTrek.

Spoilers

spoilers

Spoilers

The trailer isn't what you think.  Kirk getting in trouble for breaking the rules is nothing different than TOS Kirk would not have done.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 03:17:03 pm »
^
Kip I'm going to say yes and no to your statement. The actions that the original Kirk takes when breaking rules are not as brash, immature, or petulant as some of the actions that new Kirk takes, IMO. Part of the new Kirk's journey, which was started from the first film, is going from a very callow cadet to the commanding figure we see in TOS. For me one of the best parts of both Trek 2009 and Into Darkness is watching that journey unfold.

As to what VV was saying I do think he has a point. I didn't like how Kirk leapfrogged his way into the captain's chair. I get it from a movie standpoint. Abrams wanted Kirk as captain of the Enterprise by the end of the film. Just like he wanted all of the familiar TOS cast aboard the Enterprise by the end of the film. But the idea that you give a cadet the newest and best ship in the Fleet doesn't make much sense. It would've made more sense for Kirk to be made Pike's first officer (and that's being charitable) by the end of Trek 2009. But for the moviegoers I think Abrams felt it was necessary to make sure that Kirk was a captain. I think in Abrams's Trek they play too fast and loose with personnel decisions. But a lot of that is to ramp up the drama and emotionalism, though it comes at the expense, at times, of internal logic.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 03:27:16 pm »

Kip I'm going to say yes and no to your statement. The actions that the original Kirk takes when breaking rules are not as brash, immature, or petulant as some of the actions that new Kirk takes, IMO
------------

Right, but the trouble he got into (which the trailer was referring to) was for doing something TOS Kirk has done.

The general comment about the first movie, I don't disagree, but it doesn't bother me so much, because fiction often overlooks things like that.  Even TOS, Kirk would probably have been drum out of the service for defying orders, breaking the Prime Directive.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 06:24:07 pm »
^
Spoiler......

I disagree with you Kip. New Kirk got reamed not simply for violating the Prime Directive, but lying about it in an official report. Further he lied to Admiral Pike's face about the incident. Sure old Kirk violated the Prime Directive but as far as I know he never lied about his actions.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 02:47:32 pm »
^
Spoiler......

I disagree with you Kip. New Kirk got reamed not simply for violating the Prime Directive, but lying about it in an official report. Further he lied to Admiral Pike's face about the incident. Sure old Kirk violated the Prime Directive but as far as I know he never lied about his actions.

Actually, I think he did.  Someone pointed out that Kirk apparently never reported where Khan was left in Space Seed, because Star Fleet apparently didn't know.

And there are times we have seen Picard or other Starfleet officers keep something out of their official reports.

But I did forget about the lie aspect because to me, it seemed like it was because of the Prime Directive violation and his arrogance.  Now I think it was both.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 02:50:21 pm by KIP LEWIS »

Offline BlackRodimus

• You got me straight trippin', boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 03:14:50 pm »
Late to the party, but...I wish they'd reboot Deep Space Nine.

*slinks out of thread*
"don't fight the power, be the power" - Reginald Hudlin

Offline sherelled

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 05:37:31 pm »
 :-\ I agree Deep Space Nine was the bomb. I googled Avery Brooks to see what he has been up to.  A couple voice overs. But not much since DPN. I loved him in Spencer For Hire. Now that is one they should bring back.  ;D

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2013, 01:56:12 am »
^
Spoiler......

Actually, I think he did.  Someone pointed out that Kirk apparently never reported where Khan was left in Space Seed, because Star Fleet apparently didn't know.

And there are times we have seen Picard or other Starfleet officers keep something out of their official reports.

But I did forget about the lie aspect because to me, it seemed like it was because of the Prime Directive violation and his arrogance.  Now I think it was both.

I'm not sure that that has been established that Kirk didn't report Khan's whereabouts. The Reliant thought they were on Ceti Alpha VI anyway in Wrath of Khan, not Ceti Alpha V where Kirk marooned Khan. It's a stretch I know, and even if he didn't submit the report about Khan his omission wasn't also a violation of the Prime Directive, which is supposed to be Starfleet's most important rule. Regarding Picard I'm not sure, but Sisko famously deleted his entire log of the events of "In the Pale Moonlight", but I would argue there that he didn't lie, he just didn't report what he had done. In Into Darkness Kirk reports that nothing occurred on a mission in which he violated the Prime Directive.

I agree with you that Kirk's arrogance and the violation all played a role.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2013, 01:57:32 am »
:-\ I agree Deep Space Nine was the bomb. I googled Avery Brooks to see what he has been up to.  A couple voice overs. But not much since DPN. I loved him in Spencer For Hire. Now that is one they should bring back.  ;D

Unfortunately DS9 didn't have great ratings and seems to be the show that many officials forget. I thought it eventually became the best Trek series and it's a shame that it doesn't get the regard that it deserves. At least there is a rabid fanbase for DS9 that remembers how good the show was.