Author Topic: Star Trek Into Darkness Review  (Read 24814 times)

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek Into Darkness Review
« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2013, 02:26:01 pm »
Communication officers are not there merely for translation efforts,  they are there to handle communications between ships, with Star Fleet and to monitor for enemy/alien communications.   But none of those functions were needed in this movie.

Plus Sulu's job is more interesting.

The_Scribe

« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2013, 10:49:10 am »
Okay.  I forgot.  There are strange “allergies” on this board.  Banana Positioning is not the relevant point.  The point is a near devolving of a woman’s role.  “If you are going to do it, do it right”, a song goes.  Here is some research.  Don’t sneeze!  Okay? 

“When it came to women, however, Hollywood made determined and decisive steps to cage the female to her longstanding social identities - maternal, sexual, and pathetic. Even when sounds of empowerment or agency reverberated in the words and actions of female characters, they fall on deaf ears of audiences who only see an object of propagation, possession, and domination.” http://xroads.virginia.edu/~UG03/dumlao/MDST361/womens.html

Here is an amusing video example from Batman:  Batman Returns - What did Curiosity do to the Cat Scene

To devolve the concept of COMMUNICATION’S OFFICER to secretary is sexist.  I can write a role integral to the script which does not overshadow the main character.  A male communication’s officer would not be made to “suck lips” to get scenes.  Neither should the female character.  All of history verifies what I have said as factual.  Please indulge your own research.  It is not about “top banana” priority.  It is sexism.  I invite you to consider the research, compare and contrast.  Then share your thoughts with me.  Please do and Thank You
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 11:59:40 am by The_Scribe »

The_Scribe

« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2013, 12:50:00 pm »
Communication officers are not there merely for translation efforts,  they are there to handle communications between ships, with Star Fleet and to monitor for enemy/alien communications.   But none of those functions were needed in this movie.

Check this out.  “Propagation, possession, and domination” are unnecessary to a script.  Write for a Communication’s Officer - not Space Ho. 

Title: Star Trek: Into Darkness

Act I
(Bridge of the Enterprise after being given Star Fleet orders to enter Kligon space)

(scene 1)

(Uhura speaks with Spok) Uhura: I need to propose an amended course of action to the Captain.  I think it will increase our chances of success and survival.  I’d like your support.

Spock: We have already amended the original plan.  So, what is your amendment?

Uhra: I have been analyzing Kligon communications.  The area where Khan is located is not considered strategically important.  But, we will meet resistance undoubtedly.

(Uhura presses buttons on a console, 3-D image of probe appears)  Uhura:  I propose we cover three probes in common space dust and rock to give the appearance or a meteorite.  We can add elements that will dampen probes.  Then we propel the probes into Kligon space.  These reconfigured probes will send a signal of Kligon enemy activity.  We need to draw as many ships and troops away from our target area to increase success.

Spock: (examines diagrams of the probes) I agree.  Let’s present this to the Captain.

(plan is presented to the Captain by Spok and Uhura.  The Captain agrees.)

Uhura:  (sighs with apprehension)  There is another factor.  I need to accompany you to the surface.  I need to be able to block any transmission of our presence by any Kligons possibly left on the surface.

Captain Kirk: Can’t you block them from the Enterprise?

Uhura:  I can.  But that will increase the risk of our being discovered.  From a distance, I may inadvertently interfere with common or covert Kligon transmissions beaming through space.  That may draw attention. 

Captain Kirk: Can’t you operate the shuttle’s controls from space? 

Uhura.  I do not know what’s down there.  It will increase our chances of success to be at the point of transmission. 

(then Spok and Uhura can have the discussion on Spok’s suicidal tendencies as friends) 

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2013, 03:40:46 pm »

Check this out.  “Propagation, possession, and domination” are unnecessary to a script.  Write for a Communication’s Officer - not Space Ho. 

Act I
(Bridge of the Enterprise after being given Star Fleet orders to enter Kligon space)

(scene 1)

(Uhura speaks with Spok) Uhura: I need to propose an amended course of action to the Captain.  I think it will increase our chances of success and survival.  I’d like your support.

Uhra: I have been analyzing Kligon communications.  The area where Khan is located is not considered strategically important.  But, we will meet resistance undoubtedly.

(Uhura presses buttons on a console, 3-D image of probe appears)  Uhura:  I propose we cover three probes in common space dust and rock to give the appearance or a meteorite.  We can add elements that will dampen probes.  Then we propel the probes into Kligon space.  These reconfigured probes will send a signal of Kligon enemy activity.  We need to draw as many ships and troops away from our target area to increase success.

Spock: (examines diagrams of the probes) I agree.  Let’s present this to the Captain.

Uhura:  (sighs with apprehension)  There is another factor.  I need to accompany you to the surface.  I need to be able to block any transmission of our presence by any Kligons possibly left on the surface.

Uhura:  I can.  But that will increase the risk of our being discovered.  From a distance, I may inadvertently interfere with common or covert Kligon transmissions beaming through space.  That may draw attention. 

Uhura.  I do not know what’s down there.  It will increase our chances of success to be at the point of transmission. 

(then Spok and Uhura can have the discussion on Spok’s suicidal tendencies as friends)
dope.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2013, 04:39:49 pm »
Considering that there are only two important women in this movie, Uhura and Carol.   And Carol's entire role was reduced to standing around in her under wear.   

This show simply liked to sex up the women.

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2013, 08:12:11 am »

Act I

(scene 1)

Nice job, but this is the kind of thing you'd see in the first 2 seasons of Star Trek: TNG before it became entertaining.
Exposition that barely advances the plot and/or character development.

The_Scribe

« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2013, 09:33:22 am »
Nice job, but this is the kind of thing you'd see in the first 2 seasons of Star Trek: TNG before it became entertaining.
Exposition that barely advances the plot and/or character development.

Sorry.  That went over my head.  TNG?  The Next Generation perhaps?  "Exposition that barely advances..." means what exactly?  Sorry about that.  I didn't get it.  I think its my focus.  I was giving a quick example to show that the female character does not have to be the SEX OBJECT while not threatening the DOMINATION of the male "big banana". 

So, what do you think of the SEX OBJECT avoidance motive? 

The_Scribe

« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2013, 11:37:12 am »

The_Scribe

« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2013, 11:38:57 am »
Does the following help?  The Batwoman clip says it best.  Sexy but not “maternal, sexual, and pathetic”.

Bat Woman Making of Batman & Robin (1997) - Batgirl BatWoman says it best!
Wonder Woman Wonder Woman Opening Theme Season 1
Bionic Woman Bionic Woman Intro
Princess Leia "Return of the Jedi" Slave Leia Scene - Special Edition
Whitley from Aliens Aliens Movie Trailer
Potts from Iron Man IRON MAN - PEPPER POTTS SPEAKS
Black Widow from Avengers/Iron Man Iron Man 2 - Pepper Potts hears Tony is dying

The_Scribe

« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2013, 11:49:39 am »
You make some interesting points. However, #2 dealing with fighting in warp? Yes, actually in several epsiodes of TOS the Enterprise fought other starships in warp. I think I mentioned several examples in a previous post. Off the top of my head, there was "The Ultimate Computer", "The Doomsday Machine" and " the Balance of Terror" (actually the battle took place in both warp and sublight as the Romulan ship could not attain warp so the Enterprise tried to use warp as an advantage at certain points in the episode. Don't ask me to explain the logic of physics of all that though).

I would never question 23rd century fictional tech here in the 21st real world.  BUT, basic physics state that if an object, or anything having mass, is hurled from a moving object then that object is traveling at the same velocity as the vehicle from which it is thrown.  That is why we wear seatbelts.  In the car, you are a rest.  However, you are actually traveling over the road at the same speed with which the car is traveling.  That is why phasers (spelling?) and photon torpedoes should work in a warp battle. 

The_Scribe

« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2013, 12:03:49 pm »
So dating a fictional half white half alien guy makes Uhura a space ho??

Oops!  I forgot about this post.  I hope you caught the last posts. I did not want you to get the wrong impression.  I have a question for you.  I think you are a young fella.  This will be interesting.  Consider this:

“When it came to women, however, Hollywood made determined and decisive steps to cage the female to her longstanding social identities - maternal, sexual, and pathetic. Even when sounds of empowerment or agency reverberated in the words and actions of female characters, they fall on deaf ears of audiences who only see an object of propagation, possession, and domination.” http://xroads.virginia.edu/~UG03/dumlao/MDST361/womens.html

Here is an amusing video example from Batman:  Batman Returns - What did Curiosity do to the Cat Scene

Now, with the previous link and video considered, do you think African-American women are being deceived (played?) with the offers for interracial roles?  In other words, are African-American women being tricked back into the same SEX OBJECT roles under the guise of interracial role modeling? 

Offline The Evasive 1

• View Profile
    • My Space Page
« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2013, 04:06:01 pm »
You make some interesting points. However, #2 dealing with fighting in warp? Yes, actually in several epsiodes of TOS the Enterprise fought other starships in warp. I think I mentioned several examples in a previous post. Off the top of my head, there was "The Ultimate Computer", "The Doomsday Machine" and " the Balance of Terror" (actually the battle took place in both warp and sublight as the Romulan ship could not attain warp so the Enterprise tried to use warp as an advantage at certain points in the episode. Don't ask me to explain the logic of physics of all that though).

I would never question 23rd century fictional tech here in the 21st real world.  BUT, basic physics state that if an object, or anything having mass, is hurled from a moving object then that object is traveling at the same velocity as the vehicle from which it is thrown.  That is why we wear seatbelts.  In the car, you are a rest.  However, you are actually traveling over the road at the same speed with which the car is traveling.  That is why phasers (spelling?) and photon torpedoes should work in a warp battle.
Hmm, sounds plausible. That's the first time I've seen someone put a simple explanation why phasers can work in warp. Before, most folks I think were  just giving artistic and imaginary license to the show. Nice.  ;)