Author Topic: All Hail Serena Williams!  (Read 9043 times)

Offline jefferson L.O.B. sergeant

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
All Hail Serena Williams!
« on: June 08, 2013, 05:30:49 pm »
Serena's 16th Slam title is enough cause for celebration but what makes it even sweeter is the commentators.

They want her to fail.

Chris Evert is the most overt but in general you see that the style, charisma, and even physique( Yes, I went there) of Serena is a point of derision for them.

So once again Serena proves them wrong and adds another Slam to the resume.

P.S. Chris, you can shine the trophy at your leisure. 8)

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
Re: All Hail Serena Williams!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 10:26:56 am »
I scarcely follow the tournaments as they happen.  How nasty does the commentary get?  For how many years now have the pundits been hinting/muttering that S & V are "over the hill/overrated" and proven wrong?  Is there anyone in the pro tennis world who has consistently defended their rep?  The country-club sports world just seems to be entrenchedly biased (which is another reason why I barely watch)...
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Maxine Shaw

• HEF Attorney-at-LOL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 12:41:05 pm »
How nasty does the commentary get?

Let's put it like this. I watch the Slams on both my computer and my television so I can stream Eurosport and turn off the sound on whatever American channel I'm watching. If I see that 2004 Wimbledon win one more time, I was going to scream. Why don't they show the next nine years of consecutive losses that Maria has suffered? Why don't they show how Serena C-walked all over Maria's hopes and dreams? That's NEVER going to get old.

Serena Williams crip walk!

Neither will this - Serena at #81 winning Oz in 2007. (Gotta love the subtle shade the Australian commentators are throwing.)

[HL] Serena Williams vs. Maria Sharapova 2007 Australian Open [F]

Speaking of shade, this will always be funny.

Serena Williams Extremely funny interview! Dissing Dinara Safina - Wimbledon 2009
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 12:50:36 pm by Maxine Shaw »
She wanted attention and that's what she got. - more words of wisdom from HEF's favorite rape apologist TripleX

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 09:50:18 pm »
While there is undoubtably bias in the coverage, don't the networks have to pretend the challengers has a chance of winning to get viewers to watch?  Isn't it like Obama's elections, where the non-Fox pundits knew who was really gonna kick ass? 

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 01:43:41 am »
Isn't it like Obama's elections, where the non-Fox pundits knew who was really gonna kick ass?

Offline Vic Vega

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 06:57:27 am »
While there is undoubtably bias in the coverage, don't the networks have to pretend the challengers has a chance of winning to get viewers to watch?  Isn't it like Obama's elections, where the non-Fox pundits knew who was really gonna kick ass?

The Tennis purists and pundits may want the Williams sisters to lose but they NEED the Williams sisters for anybody to give a damn about women's tennis at all. 

Say what you want about Men's tennis but at least it still has Nidal, Federer and Andy Murray.

What does woman's tennis have? Kim Clijister is retired. Monica Seles is retired. Steffie Graf is retired. Even Anna Kornikova retired (she never won anything but at least she could get males to watch women's tennis). And there no strapping butch lesbian tennis player out there that I know of to get the GLBT crown to care either.

All women's tennis HAS now are Williams Sisters and Maria Sharparova.

Those commentators are grumbling about thier meal ticket.

At least Men's Tennis knows it needs Tiger Woods to start winning again.

Offline Maxine Shaw

• HEF Attorney-at-LOL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 11:26:57 am »
If you get a chance to catch it - in theaters or on iTunes  - this is a must-watch for fans of the sisters. It's more about Serena than Venus (who seems to have no problem being left in the dust by Serena long ago), and it is an absolute delight.
Venus and Serena Featurette (2013) - Williams Sisters Documentary Movie HD
She wanted attention and that's what she got. - more words of wisdom from HEF's favorite rape apologist TripleX

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 04:37:22 pm »

That is not the case at all.

Listen to Chris Evert's coverage of Serena and you can literally feel the derision and hate from your screen. Everytime Serena loses it is the "End of the Williams era" meanwhile, Serena has overcome serious injuries to either reach the finals of Slams or win them.

Serena literally overcame a life-threatening illness to now claim a 16th Slam. Where are the specials in tribute to this fact? If it were Sharapova you would've had the pundits giving her a standing ovation with the theme from CHARIOTS OF FIRE blaring in the background.

These people STILL speak ad nauseum about Navritilova's work ethic meanwhile saying nothing about Serena's. You would think the woman just wakes up looking like the WWE champion, and I don't mean the Diva's champ but the belt the Rock just lost.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 04:43:00 pm »
Serena is really the last Black rebel star athlete.

Lebron is just like Jordan with no issues outside of basketball. RG3 is beloved and racially appropriate in all things. Tiger is on top and back to being Coblasian and nothing more.

Then there is Serena.

Clothing, acting, commentary even her body is an act of rebellion against the pundits.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 05:49:03 pm »
Damn we need like and love buttons on this site.  Well put.

Offline Maxine Shaw

• HEF Attorney-at-LOL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 07:19:11 pm »
I'm sick of hearing how bad Serena is for women's tennis, and how the fact that she can keep winning at 31 means that the other women aren't very good. How long did Martina HATERtilova play tennis? Pontius Pilate was her first doubles partner, and nobody said a damn thing.

It kills me to say anything nice about Sharapova, but she's...fine. Saying that Sharapova is no good is like saying Scottie Pippin is no good while you're comparing him to Michael Jordan. The other women on the WTA are professional tennis players making more money than I'll ever see in my life. It's just that Serena is in a different class of tennis, and she came from a stronger tennis era. Graf and Seles were still playing, and then they had Capriati, Davenport, Hingis, Henin, Clijsters...I mean, the late 90s and early 00s was DEEP with talent. Anybody who played at that time was no scrub. Maria, on the other hand, came up with such tennis immortals as Safina, Wozniacki, Ivanovic, and Jankovic.

As for Venus, the fact that her disease was misdiagnosed for years and years will go down as one of the greatest tragedies in women's tennis (second only to Seles being stabbed in her prime). I have no doubt whatsoever that V&S would be #1 and #2 right now if it wasn't for all of those bogus doctors.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 09:19:46 pm »
Pontius Pilate was her first doubles partner, and nobody said a damn thing.

So. Damn. Funny.

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 09:52:44 pm »
I would be remiss in not mentioning Mcenroe's legendary hoeness in his treatment/stalking of the Williams Sisters. As soon as Venus and Serena started winning slams; while refuting the advice of the pundits to DUMP their Dad as a trainer, out comes McEneroe.

What male champion challenges women entering their early 20's to a showdown on a near monthly basis? Why didn't Supertramp challenge Graf, Seles or Hingis to the same deal?

Offline Maxine Shaw

• HEF Attorney-at-LOL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 06:00:10 pm »
*headdesk*

Now angry white pseudo-feminists are going to flood the media with their campfire rape stories*, demanding that Serena lose her Nike endorsements - and this time, she has nobody to blame but herself. Luckily, Serena gives no f*cks whatsoever, but I do hope she takes this opportunity to get more educated on rape and rape culture.

*I, too, am a survivor of sexual assault, but I see no need to bring this up every time there is a discussion about rape, feminism or women's issues. I find it to be a very cheap, derailing tactic.

Offline supreme illuminati

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Head Coach Ras, Founder of THE ATACX GYM
    • View Profile
    • A.T.A.C.X. GYM STREET WARRIOR CAPOEIRA
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 10:15:43 pm »
How nasty does the commentary get?

Let's put it like this. I watch the Slams on both my computer and my television so I can stream Eurosport and turn off the sound on whatever American channel I'm watching. If I see that 2004 Wimbledon win one more time, I was going to scream. Why don't they show the next nine years of consecutive losses that Maria has suffered? Why don't they show how Serena C-walked all over Maria's hopes and dreams? That's NEVER going to get old.

Serena Williams crip walk!

Neither will this - Serena at #81 winning Oz in 2007. (Gotta love the subtle shade the Australian commentators are throwing.)

[HL] Serena Williams vs. Maria Sharapova 2007 Australian Open [F]

Speaking of shade, this will always be funny.

Serena Williams Extremely funny interview! Dissing Dinara Safina - Wimbledon 2009

talk to em, gurl
I AM THAT WHICH GODS,DEMONS,IMMORTALS AND ANGELS FEAR.I AM THAT WHICH PERFECTION ITSELF ASPIRES TO BE
BLACK PANTHER FANFIC:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/663070
Sub my YouTube with the world's first and only viral "capoeira" gun disarm technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM5F_qg2oFw