Author Topic: DAVE EVANS ON DR. KING'S DREAM  (Read 4646 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
DAVE EVANS ON DR. KING'S DREAM
« on: June 14, 2013, 09:13:27 am »
Reggie,

Come August 28, 2013 the nation will (or should) ask itself: “How much of Dr. King’s dream has come true?” I certainly will ask that question of myself and others—as I have for decades.

I wouldn’t even pretend to speak for the country at large, but as an admissions officer at Harvard during many of those fifty years, I believe the following three examples might represent partial realizations of Dr. King’s Dream:

Barack H. Obama                   JD Harvard Law School         1991

Magna Cum Laude

President, Harvard Law Review

President of the United States

Deval L. Patrick                      AB Harvard College               1978

Cum Laude

JD Harvard Law School         1982

Cum Laude

Governor of Massachusetts 

Ethel “Ellie” Hylton                AB Harvard College               2013

Summa Cum Laude

Phi Beta Kappa

Sophia Freund Prize (Awarded to the #1 Student in the Class)

Varsity Athlete

There are other institutions with similar examples and I entreat them to publicize them as proof that what was considered a dream in Dr. King’s time can be realized if we set our collective minds to the tasks.

Best regards,

Dave

Offline Maxine Shaw

• HEF Attorney-at-LOL
    • View Profile
Re: DAVE EVANS ON DR. KING'S DREAM
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 10:35:26 am »
So...because some black people graduated from Harvard, Dr. King can rest easy? sh*t, my uncle Roderick graduated from Harvard, and he smoked up that degree before I was even born.
She wanted attention and that's what she got. - more words of wisdom from HEF's favorite rape apologist TripleX

Offline Curtis Metcalf

• Honorary Wakandan
  • One never knows, do one?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 11:57:10 am »
To be fair, it's actually some black people graduated from Harvard and went on to hold the highest elected office in the land and the state of Massachusetts. Folks can argue about the significance of those achievements with respect to Dr. King's dream but they are a little more significant than just graduating.

As for Ms. Hylton, we'll see but her future looks bright to me.
"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
"Be hard on systems, but soft on people."

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 09:19:38 pm »
The "Dream" is for us to have equal opportunities to be judged by the content of our character instead of equal outcomes (equal, being all are denied opportunity) because of the color of our skin.

So in the case of your metaphorical Uncle Roderick (I assume), Maxine, his character was weak and f*cked it up. 

There still remain way too many racially based obstacles to opportunity, but for those with the will, there is a way.

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 09:29:30 pm »
Maxine what Reggie is trying to say is... Everything in moderation so don't smoke it all up just smoke some of it up one puff at a time!

My niece just graduated from Harvard so I have been encouraging her to run for President so that I can be that cray cray uncle in the background that gets her in trouble with Rush Limbaugh and them on a regular!

APEXABYSS

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 10:29:32 pm »
He dreamt of true constitutional rights as it applies to labor, law, art, politics, media, education, religion, economics etc.

He sought dream fulfillment through non-violent protests against oppression. Black people did not declare “jihad” on America... they didn’t even want to disrupt social order. African Americans wanted redemption & justice NOT revenge.

(Some say, black people are passive. Historically, ancient Africans as a collective were 'non-warring' societies.)  

Where would the U.S. be (today) if blacks adopted Nat Turner’s philosophies? 

Ivy league? 8? I was number 88! Doubled-up for that very reason! 8pex8byss! Yep, I played football, just not up-north. Way-different conference... anywhu!

Dr. King’s Dreams was for all non-white males.

The Social soul-power created equal opportunities NOT JUST FOR BLACK FOLKS! King’s r.e.m. also included Asians, Jews, Christians, Arabs, Africans, Latinos, Muslims etc., but most importantly for women.  Susan B. would agree.

Isn’t Susan B. Anthony the “MLK” of The Women’s Rights Movement? She has her own Coin, right? No?

Somebody & some institutions of higher learning directly reaped “the profit-benefits” of the slave trade. Racks on Racks...

Is there a greater good in Equal assimilation?

Harvard represents the partial dream of diversity & equality in all areas significant to academia. 

His impact deserves even more credit. Racks...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 10:35:46 pm by APEXABYSS »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 03:25:27 pm »
Personally I think we need to stop dreaming and wake up. There is too much of a focus and deification of Dr. King in general and of a few lines in that 1963 speech in particular. What about all the speeches made by Dr. King after August 1963? Or the thoughts, speeches, and actions of other people during the '60s and beyond on the issues that Dr. King fought and died for? This is bigger than Dr. King and it does him/his memory and all of us a disservice to deify him and put him on a pedestal. We are so busy praising him that too many of us haven't actually read or listened to what the man said, wrote, or did, except for that one line that is played over and over and over again.

APEXABYSS

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 05:34:39 pm »
This is bigger than Dr. King and it does him/his memory and all of us a disservice to deify him and put him on a pedestal.

yeah...

King is a role model. We just need to remember his character traits & not who he was as an individual.

I’m a mega Michael Jordan fan, but I kept it on the court. MJ like King are just men, you know!

Bottom-line, if we call someone a leader they are probably leading by the best example. His service to humanity set an example we can all live by.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 02:00:25 am »
This is bigger than Dr. King and it does him/his memory and all of us a disservice to deify him and put him on a pedestal.

yeah...

King is a role model. We just need to remember his character traits & not who he was as an individual.

I’m a mega Michael Jordan fan, but I kept it on the court. MJ like King are just men, you know!

Bottom-line, if we call someone a leader they are probably leading by the best example. His service to humanity set an example we can all live by.

I don't disagree that there is much about Dr. King's example that we should all strive to live by, but at the same time I think we have to not make him this godlike, unreachable figure and further try to suss out what can be used from his words and actions today and what can't. Adapt what can be and leave the rest in the '60s. It rankles me when Ebony or whoever has this "What Would Dr. King Do?" It's like it freezes us in the '60s. We can never know what Dr. King might do or say today. And I'm not so sure that we should spend much time speculating on that. We should be coming up with our own solutions for today's versions of some of the same issues that Dr. King faced. His words and actions can inspire, can comfort, but they shouldn't be iron clad rules that straitjacket or actions or imaginations. They shouldn't have been that way even back then, and they definitely shouldn't be that way today.