Author Topic: MAN OF STEEL  (Read 26507 times)

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
MAN OF STEEL
« on: June 15, 2013, 01:15:40 pm »
Fantastic film. 

Ignore all previous live action Superman movies.

This does for Superman what Dark Knight did for Batman.

Instead of a cartoon comic book movie, they made a science fiction comic book movie. The production design owes a lot to ALIEN and DUNE.

It combines the best of Superman one and two but far surpasses both.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
Re: MAN OF STEEL
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 01:19:11 pm »
When I left the theater yesterday I wasn't certain how I felt about the movie. I read several reviews afterward, from critics and fans, pro and con, and I think some of them made some good points on both sides. I checked it out again this morning because I had missed some parts yesterday and plus I was hoping to see if I could figure out how I felt about it upon a second viewing. My feelings are still mixed.

Pros:

-It is better than Superman Returns. MOS seems almost like it's trying to repudiate Superman Returns, like Warner Brothers commanded Zack Snyder and Nolan to not do Superman Returns 2.

-MOS turns the page on the Christopher Reeve era (which I say ran from 1978-2011; I include Smallville in that era because it had a lot of nods to the old movies and Reeve, Margot Kidder, and the guy who played Jimmy Olsen all guest starred).

-The cast is solid though not everyone is given a lot to do and there are few truly breakout moments, at least for me. Kevin Costner was perfectly cast as Jonathan Kent-though there were things I had issues with how that character was depicted this time around. Diane Lane was good too as Martha Kent, though she didn't have much to do. However I liked the take on the Kents from Smallville better.

-Henry Cavill did what Brandon Routh couldn't or wasn't allowed to and makes Superman his own. Cavill is not Christopher Reeve, but this take on Superman is different so I'm not sure how to judge him. Personally I prefer Reeve but that shouldn't be seen as a knock against Cavill. If anything I don't think the dialogue was there for him or many of the other characters.

-Amy Adams is a million times more believable as Lois than Kate Bosworth, but she's still no Margot Kidder.

-Russell Crowe doesn't have the gravitas of Marlon Brando, but he comes pretty close. He did a pretty good job as Jor-El.

-Superman is more down to Earth in terms of having vulnerabilities that the audience might understand and be able to relate to.

-Michael Shannon is not as good as Terrence Stamp but he also makes Zod his own, and is a better Zod than the guys who played him on Smallville. However Shannon doesn't have any memorable lines, at least to me, like Terrence Stamp did. Zod's main lieutenant, Faora, was a highlight for me among his soldiers.

-You finally get to see Superman cut loose. There's a lot of action in this movie.

Cons:

-MOS turns the page on the Reeve era. And it loses some of the fun and spirit in the process. I felt MOS was too somber at points and its colors were too gray, grim, and bleak. The film needed a little more humor and a lot more color.

-The CGI was iffy, especially in many of the big action sequences. I was disappointed by this because the one thing I thought Snyder could really do well was big action and make it look believable. I think his work on Watchmen looked better, though to be fair that movie didn't have the kind of throw downs that MOS has.

-Too much action in this movie. I know I just said it was a pro, but that is in context to Superman Returns and even Smallville and the Reeve films since now the technology is there to create some very good fight scenes. That being said I felt pummeled with some of the overlong action sequences. On Friday a teenager sitting next to me nodded off towards the end and I nodded off a couple times myself today. The more they kept going the more fake and worse it got for me.

-Superman is down to Earth. In their quest to make him relate to the audience I think they made Superman too small at points. He is not Batman, but you can't tell Nolan that it seemed to me. I think Smallville got the inner conflict that drives Clark better than this film did, though to be fair Smallville had ten years to play with and this movie only two and a half hours. And I do think Smallville drug a lot of stuff out. Though MOS has been criticized for packing too much stuff in. I think that's a fair criticism.

-Not enough nods to the old films. I read there were some references to Superman's history, but it seems like Smallville got the most noticeable nods than the Reeve films, which I thought was odd, but understandable since they were trying to break away from those films.

My recommendation is to see it and make up your own mind. I hope it does well, but at the same time I sort of hope this doesn't become the standard way to do DC comics films.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 01:23:16 pm by Emperorjones »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 01:22:13 pm »
Fantastic film. 

Ignore all previous live action Superman movies.

This does for Superman what Dark Knight did for Batman.

Instead of a cartoon comic book movie, they made a science fiction comic book movie. The production design owes a lot to ALIEN and DUNE.

It combines the best of Superman one and two but far surpasses both.

I disagree that it surpasses either of the first two Superman films. I give you the bigger FX budget and it packs in a lot more spectacle but it doesn't quite have the heart or sense of spirit or adventure that I felt the first two Reeve films had. Perhaps that's a moot point because Man of Steel was definitely trying to break from the Reeve era. I also think there were cartoonish aspects to Man of Steel, particularly the overlong battle sequences. But the tone of the film was definitely not cartoony. It was too serious at points for my taste. I wish they had lightened it up a bit.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 03:57:56 pm »
My brother saw it first and said, "Best DC movie ever".

I saw. Today, "Wow". 

Action wise, it beats The Avengers.  It is like the Avengers fought raiders, Superman fought the equivalent of a true invasion force

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 05:49:51 pm »
Fantastic film. 

spoilers:

Zod:  "I will find him!!!!"   I was immediately reminded of Sting's similar line from Dune, lol..

...I was glad to see some Marvel-scale super-combat in this film.  Superman Returns failed to deliver in that regard.

... The demise of a supporting character struck me as another nod to a more Marvel-esque sensibility... ("i could have saved them, but...")

...So Lois is her own photographer now?  I guess it's par for the course for how newspapers operate now, lol..

..I'm glad to see Fishburne and Lennix in prominent roles here, as the "traditional" Superman strips weren't especially diverse. (first Perry with a stud earring!  8))

The "final solution" to Zod's rampage was a genuine surprise to me.  Kudos.

... The lack of even a grain of kryptonite was refreshing, here.

...Anybody else notice the easter eggs of a LexCorp truck and a Wayne Enterprises satellite?  (not to mention all the product placement- Nikon, IHOP, Sears, 7-11, etc.)

...All the carnage wrought by the end should, by any rational standard, take years to rebuild from-- I hope that the next film realistically deals with the aftermath of what happened here.. (hello, no-bid demolition/construction contracts with LexCorp)...
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 01:23:17 am »
Saw two Lexcorp trucks, missed the Wayne satellite. 

Don't want to see Lex for a long time.  Didn't miss him, and didn't miss kryptonite either. 

Loved the depiction of Clark mastering his powers. 

Kevin Costner was the best in a great cast.

i was suprrised how satisfied I was with the ending, as in I'm good even if they didn't make another.  I worry that they won't match the kinetic action of the first one with a less physical villian like Brainiac, or (shudder) Luthor. 

Intermixing flashbacks to his childhood throughout was great.  Setting so much action in Smallville was great. The arc of Pete Ross was great.  Loved having Jor El through the film.  His door opening and closing gestures were dope.  Will miss him in the next.

I think the "too much action" complaint comes from too much of repeating action.  Superman didn't switch up his style enough fighting Zod.  And it wasn't clear that he was trying so hard not to kill them. 

Didn't miss the cartoony humor one bit.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 05:28:38 am »

I saw. Today, "Wow". 

Action wise, it beats The Avengers.  It is like the Avengers fought raiders, Superman fought the equivalent of a true invasion force

I disagree. The invasion in the Avengers was much larger. However what MOS over that was it wasn't as localized, with one ship over Metropolis and the world engine somewhere else. But Avengers had far more soldiers and ships involved in the action.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 06:56:51 am »

I saw. Today, "Wow". 

I disagree. The invasion in the Avengers was much larger. However what MOS over that was it wasn't as localized, with one ship over Metropolis and the world engine somewhere else. But Avengers had far more soldiers and ships involved in the action.

That is where I was going, even though Avengers fought more, it was localized.  Even in the city, it was more localized (which is more like raiders.)  With MOS, the invasion force, though smaller, did more destruction.  Even the city suffered more damage and lives lost.

On a side note, the destructive battle in Metropolis reminded me of several episodes of Justice League.

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 07:29:24 am »

Don't want to see Lex for a long time.  Didn't miss him, and didn't miss kryptonite either. 

i was suprrised how satisfied I was with the ending, as in I'm good even if they didn't make another.  I worry that they won't match the kinetic action of the first one with a less physical villian like Brainiac, or (shudder) Luthor. 

I hope the success of this film clears the way for more combat-ready villains, like Darkseid, Mongul, etc.
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 08:26:29 am »

I hope the success of this film clears the way for more combat-ready villains, like Darkseid, Mongul, etc.
That Alan Moore story with Mongul would be awesome. 

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 10:36:57 am »
I wouldn't mind seeing Lex in the next film. Eventually people are going to ask what where he is. He doesn't have to be the main villain but a guy behind the scenes who lets others do his dirty work. I would prefer that to a Lex that is front and center. Though now with the gloves being off regarding action, Lex in his battle suit isn't an improbable idea. It might work like Jeff Bridges as Iron Monger.

Others I would like to see: Brainiac (come on already), Metallo, Darkseid (preferably for the Justice League film), Doomsday, and Parasite for the big fight villains. I wouldn't mind seeing Manchester Black, Intergang, and Bloodsport for villains that Superman has to stop without resorting to just punching.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 02:52:37 pm »
I wouldn't mind seeing Lex in the next film. Eventually people are going to ask what where he is. He doesn't have to be the main villain but a guy behind the scenes who lets others do his dirty work. I would prefer that to a Lex that is front and center. Though now with the gloves being off regarding action, Lex in his battle suit isn't an improbable idea. It might work like Jeff Bridges as Iron Monger.

I wouldn't mind seeing Lex as a legitimate philanthropist/ok guy in the second movie and maybe over the course of the film we see him develop the jealousy and pettiness of classic Luthor.  Then he can pop up as the full fledged villain in the third movie.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 03:21:30 pm »
^
Yes! I wouldn't mind seeing something along this line either. I actually like the portrayals of Luthor where he does have something of a good side, or at least a self-serving one where he does good works to burnish his image.

Offline KIP LEWIS

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 03:59:57 pm »
Brainiac would be another alien invader story.
Doomday might be too; depending on the approach.
Parasite, could be a good approach, as long as they avoid the first Hulk movie's villain.
Luthor...either go the behind the scene mastermind, or put him in the suit.  The danger (or plus) is that it looks like Superman vs Iron Man.
Metallo...another good approach, if they plan to introduce Kryptonite.
Silver Banshee...not strong enough for an entire movie.
Atomic Skull..same.
Intergang with several of the villains, might work.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 04:44:52 pm by KIP LEWIS »

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 04:42:38 pm »
One classic villain I forgot about was Bizarro. A failed clone take on him or something him, perhaps with the kind of metallic look he had on Smallville would be neat.

Though it would also be great to see the Ultra-Humanite, his first supervillain, Livewire (played by Pink or Rihanna!), and Titano, though I doubt we will ever see Titano in any live-action film.

I wonder if the next film will do something like the Nolan Batman films and weave several villains into the story, with not all being major threats. Of course Batman's rogue's bench is much deeper than Superman so they might want to spread them out. However having Intergang or Luthor always in the background could be sort of similar.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 04:50:58 pm by Emperorjones »