Author Topic: MAN OF STEEL  (Read 26505 times)

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
Re: MAN OF STEEL
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2013, 01:05:16 am »
What you just said is exactly what would make Doomsday work!

Zod has personality so as an actor he would be expected to try and act... Doomsday skips all of that which would allow all the other cast members to handle the acting duties while he wrecked havoc!

Tornadoes, volcanoes and earthquakes are not actors they are forces of nature which is what Doomsday represents in a humanoid form!

What has happened to Superman is the old super hero blueprints have been tossed out or burned and Nolan and Goyer have assumed control of the future DC franchises!

I bet Doomsday takes this franchise beyond anything Supes has ever seen while probably losing diehard fans only to gain new ones along the way!

My wife loved this movie and she steers clear of most super hero related products like a plague... I can't even explain it but she is still buzzing about now!

Nolan and Goyer are pushing buttons that are selling to people not originally on the radar!

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2013, 02:14:50 am »
They are talking about prepping a movie to have in theaters next year.  They need a physically dynamic villain, but most (Mongul, Doomsday) feel like a retread of Zod one way or another.  Especially if they are going to go for Darkseid in JL....which is gonna feel like a retread of Avengers 2 with Thanos.

Metallo and Parasite can match Superman physically without having to do the alien invader thing. I think the next film needs to actually go smaller yet still provide a villain that Superman can beat on and one that can punch back. Either one of these guys fit that bill.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2013, 07:57:34 am »
Zod was created by the movies, not the comics. Radio, TV and movies have always made great contributions to the Superman and Batman canons.  Maybe it's time to do that again.

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2013, 08:11:33 am »
Reggie are you suggesting an entirely new character?

Maybe giving Nolan and Goyer that much power might take things a bit too far if they had Superman kill someone!

Have you seen the Mark Waid blog?

http://thrillbent.com/blog/man-of-steel-since-you-asked/

Offline Rockscissorspaper

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2013, 08:37:52 am »
Zod was created by the movies, not the comics.

Not according to several online sources, including this one: http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/General_Zod
HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/comics

Offline Hypestyle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • Intellectual Conqueror
    • View Profile
    • Hypestyle's Homebase
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2013, 08:47:20 am »
 ;) I think it's probably fair to say that, like Frank Gorshin's take on the Riddler defined the character far more than the relatively fleeting comics' appearances before, Terence Stamp's Zod really "blew up" the character-- the post-Crisis era comics have been trying to play catch-up since, but they hobbled themselves by the self-imposed "no survivors except Kal-el" edict for many years.. at one point they ended up with odd interpretations like a Russian "zod" with a completely different backstory..

I think that an all-new villain can work, if the character is created with the intent of making him (her?) impressive and compelling.  We all know how Harley Quinn eventually spun-off into the comics.  The Smallville show invented any number of characters for adversaries.

The next film should diversify the battlefields.  This should include an arctic environment (lots of icy peaks, crevasses and glaciers to wreck, great visuals), also some extended underwater combat (villain uses blue whale as bludgeon!  Maybe a strange undersea shrine is destroyed in the battle, hinting at Atlantis...), and of course some outer-space battling (great opportunity to grab an asteroid and use as a club or missile)...

..as a secondary villain, maybe there's a cyber-mischief causing hacker who goes by the tag Mxyzptlk..  ;) (presuming the whole 5th-dimension imp thing is too out-there for Nolan/Goyer's current sensibilities)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 08:54:01 am by Hypestyle »
Be Kind to Someone Today.

Offline Reginald Hudlin

• Landlord
  • Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2013, 08:53:55 am »

Not according to several online sources, including this one: http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/General_Zod
Okay, now that I saw him with the jaunty cap on, I vaguely remember him from my older brother's collection.  But I don't think any of those images are from the Silver Age.  Which makes me still suspect. 

Offline Rockscissorspaper

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2013, 09:21:42 am »
Okay, now that I saw him with the jaunty cap on, I vaguely remember him from my older brother's collection.  But I don't think any of those images are from the Silver Age.  Which makes me still suspect.

Heh heh. Yeah that's the earliest version of the character I remember reading, also from my older brother's collection. I think the movies made up Non (the dumb one from Supes II)...he was never around in those old comics.
HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/comics

Offline FLEX HECTIC

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
    • FLEX HECTIC
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2013, 10:31:11 am »
Who else has an older brother that kickstarted them into comics as a sort of hand me down passing on of sorts? :)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2013, 11:20:44 am »
...as a secondary villain, maybe there's a cyber-mischief causing hacker who goes by the tag Mxyzptlk..  ;) (presuming the whole 5th-dimension imp thing is too out-there for Nolan/Goyer's current sensibilities)

That's a great idea, Hype!  :)

Offline Battle

• Honorary Wakandan
  • M.A.X. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2013, 11:28:59 am »
Who else has an older brother that kickstarted them into comics as a sort of hand me down passing on of sorts? :)

[raises hand]
Over here!

Only the guy wasn't an actual member of my family but growing up in New York in the 1970s, older Black guys looked out for the younger Black guys. 
That dynamic is nothing like today.

Offline JLI Jesse

• Honorary Wakandan
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Grab Them By The Pod
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2013, 01:00:00 pm »

How about these?

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2013, 02:34:21 pm »
JMS did create a new villain for his inaugural Earth One book:

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Tyrell_%28Earth-1%29

I guess Nolan and Goyer could go that route though I think they will likely stick with Superman's traditional villains. One thing they could do though would be to look at other villains across the DC universe, in other rogue galleries and see if there is one they can pluck. In the New 52 they are doing that right now, with Green Lantern's Hector Hammond in the Superman book. I think some of the other New 52 books are also mixing and matching villains. A version of Superman's own Prankster is currently tangling with Nightwing for example. And the TV show Arrow has brought in a couple non-Arrow specific rogues. So maybe they could have Superman do something like that.

Many of Superman's traditional villains that we've listed already would work fine as adversaries for future films. I don't think they need to go looking though I would be intrigued if they did and curious to see who they could come up with.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:37:24 pm by Emperorjones »

Offline Lion

• HEF FOI
  • Honorary Wakandan
  • Totally hatin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2013, 02:36:22 pm »
Saw it Friday night. Loved it. The only "Come on, now..." moment I can think of is everyone back at the Daily Planet. After the way that city was messed up, it would be years and probably trillions of dollars before Metropolis could be rebuilt. I think that is something that just requires suspension of belief. Also... Was it ever explained why Zod's crew suddenly demanded Lois? Though it worked well for Superman and pushing the plot along, that seemed random.

Russell Crowe and Kevin Costner in general get on my nerves, but I actually loved their casting in this case.

I'd love if Luthor were introduced in the background of the next film, but it has to be the right actor. Clancy Brown was freaking awesome in the cartoon. The movie one has to fit like a glove.

I admit. I want to go back and see the movie again. The last time I did that was The Dark Knight.

Offline Emperorjones

• Honorary Wakandan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2013, 02:38:59 pm »
...as a secondary villain, maybe there's a cyber-mischief causing hacker who goes by the tag Mxyzptlk..  ;) (presuming the whole 5th-dimension imp thing is too out-there for Nolan/Goyer's current sensibilities)

That's a great idea, Hype!  :)

I second that!